The Servant

Who Grants the Fairy Godmother's Wish?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Servant

Fridays were terribly busy at the Gill, a seafood restaurant on the upscale side of Busan that over looked the water. No waiter or waitress liked working that night, but they did love the tips they got from the high class patrons that came to eat, and there were so many on that particular night.

It was only seven and Aeri had already made at least two hundred in tips, which meant her rent was getting paid this month and she would be able to get a rice cooker since hers died two weeks ago. She was busy bringing out a tray of appetizers when the maitre d whispered to her – through the earpiece – that she had a new set of customers to sit and serve. So she quickly yet calmly and professionally delivered the food to the designated table before turning to greet her new customers at the front of the restaurant.

When she arrived she nearly bit off her own tongue out of shock. Two years in reality is not a very long time, but as Aeri stared at the man before her she would swear two years felt like eons. His face looked a little sharper around his jaw and cheekbones, his posture was as straight as ever with his shoulders square and his hands casually in the pockets of his suit jacket. He definitely looked older, but then Aeri was sure the same could be said about her after the last two tiring years.

Mentally smacking herself back to earth Aeri motioned for the two men to follow her to their table with a low bow of her head. “This way please.”

Once they were at their table Aeri took a step back so the two could sit before she returned to their side to hand over two leather bound menus that she had snatched up from the front of the restaurant before she lead them away. As they took the menus she gave the usual introduction and spiel that came with being a waitress.

“Welcome to Gill, I am Oum Aeri your waitress. Would you like a moment with the menu, or can I get you two something to drink?”

“Get us a bottle of your best Sauvignon blanc,” Junmyeon requested without glancing at her. His eyes were firmly fixed on the menu in his hands.

The man across from him glanced between the two with an apprehensive gaze that Aeri understood all too well, and not because he had been her personal assistant for nearly two full years. It was because she felt it too, like a bomb was counting down waiting to blow the place to smithereens.

“Yes sir,” she replied politely with another bow then took off to fetch the wine.

When she returned, bottle uncorked at the table, she poured them each a glass before leaving the bottle on the table. Junmyeon requested more time with the menu and Aeri humbly obliged as she went to check on her other tables. After serving two tables dessert and clearing another of its dishes Aeri returned to Junmyeon's table to take their orders. Despite the tension it wasn't a difficult endeavor, Junmyeon never made anything difficult. With the orders written down Aeri took them to the kitchen that was boiling hot and smelled strongly of seared seafood.

The waitress was about to fetch another bottle of wine for one of her more lively tables when someone tapped her shoulder making her pause and turn around. She almost yelped when she saw it was not a fellow member of the wait staff, nor her manager. It was her old P.A. Kim Jongin.

“I-Is there a problem sir?” she inquired with a nervous hitch in her voice.

“Yes,” he said with his hands in the pockets of his slacks. Aeri waited patiently for his complaint as his gaze raked over her like he was searching for something. “You didn't say hello,” he pouted. “It's been so long and you just work? Mean Aeri.”

She chortled. She should have seen that coming, Jongin was never a grudge holder and was a loyal employee and friend. He smirked at her as she pushed her bangs behind her ear.

“Sorry, but it's,” she paused to look behind him to his table, “different now.”

His smile shrank as he stood a little straighter. “No kidding, Oum?” he questioned with a light joking tone that didn't quite match the curious and solemn look in his eyes.

“Does it not suit me?” she joked back.

“Not as much as Kim did,” he informed.

Aeri swallowed thickly as she looked away from the tall man. “That's in the past. It's why I'm here now,” she said flatly.

“I know, but maybe it's time he did too,” Jongin suggested with all humor wiped from his tone and expression.

“A contract was signed, let it go Jongin. I have nothing left to give anyway.”

“You signed, not me,” he countered.

Looking up at him with narrowed eyes and clenched hands Aeri only repeated herself in a hard tone. “Let it go Jongin.”

“But Aeri –”

“I have to return to work. You should go back too, after all you don't know Oum Aeri.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter