Chapter 63: I Want To Know 1

She is a boy

the newspaper where dae works is noir (≖ᴗ≖✿)

 

Minjae's photo shoot ended and Jongup went to the cafeteria to take a break, he was on his way to the counter when he saw Daehyun sitting at one of the tables with the back hunched.

    “Daehyun” Jongup approached him and the said guy turned around to face him.

    “Jongup” he forced a smile and the younger could say he was upset.

    “What did Youngjae do this time?” he said with anger in his voice “I told you I could bring those chocolates to him, but you insisted on coming and now you're sad, so what the hell did he do to you?”

    “He said he loves me”

    Jongup opened his eyes wide and dropped his jaw, he didn't expect that reply “What. Did. He. Say?”

    “He said he loves me”

    “You heard wrong, he loves Dasom”

    “I know!” Daehyun said, baffled “It's what he said when I told him how much I loved him, but now he said he was wrong and confused. He said the only one he really loves is me”

    “And you believe him? It's clear that he's still confused, he's mistaking you for Dasom, that's why he said he loves you” Jongup said “He doesn't love you, he doesn't”

    Daehyun felt bad and his friend wasn't helping at all. “What did you say? I hope you said you don't believe him, I hope you said you don't love him”

    “I didn’t say anything, I didn't know what to say” Daehyun his lips “He asked me whether I love you now or not... He said he'd back down if I chose you”

    “And you...?” Suddenly hope ignited the brown-haired man.

    “I don't know”

 

Chapter 63: I Want To Know 1

Daehyun wanted to call in sick to work and stay in bed, ignore the world and pretend that Youngjae never said he loved him, it was too late, wasn’t? Why Youngjae had to be so complicated? However, he already missed a week of work in the newspaper, and even if he was just the coffee boy, he needed the job.

    He brought coffee and donuts for everyone, after that, his boss went off to a meeting and instructed him to read some articles for the next month. Now Daehyun was at his boss' office, reading an article about the actual economy, it was very boring, besides, the only thing he could think was Youngjae... and Jongup... Things were easier when nobody loved him, whoever he chose, someone was going to get hurt...

    “Morning!” someone said with a deep husky voice from the door and the blond turned around to see a tall young man with dark hair dressed in a blue flannel shirt and jeans and sneakers “Sorry I’m late, Geunsso-ssi...” he shut up and looked at Daehyun in confusion “Are you Yoo Geunsoo? Noir's manager?”

    “No, I'm Jung Daehyun, Geunsoo's assistant”

    “It makes more sense” the stranger laughed “You're too young to be a manager”

    “Am I?”

    “I'm not saying you're stupid” he laughed nervously “But a newspaper’s manager should be older I think” he kept laughing nervously “Sorry for that... I’m very nervous, ha, ha, it’s my first day..., I'm Kim Jaehan, reporter, I mean, student, I was hired as intern..., ha, ha”

    “Geunsoo told me about you” Daehyun looked at him in surprise “I was expecting someone older too, but you're really young...” he got up from his chair and walked towards him “I'll show you your desk” he was about to leave the office, but the manager showed up and frowned at the stranger “It's the new reporter” 

    “I'm the intern, I hope to get a permanent work once I graduate though”

    “We'll see” Geunsoo went to his desk and took a folder “A very famous chef is going to open a restaurant in Gangnam, he almost never gives interviews, but I insisted strongly, so he gave me an appointment at one in the noon” he handed the folder to Jaehan “Do the interview, don't screw it”

    “Yes, sir” the newbie took the folder eagerly.

    “And Daehyun, go with him”

    “What? Why?” he looked at his boss in confusion.

    “We're gonna need photos of the chef and his food and the restaurant” Geunsoo said “The photographer is sick and you always say how much you want to work as photographer”

    “Yes, but nobody pays me any attention”

    “Well, I'm paying you attention, you're the photographer now”

    “Really? Thank you so much, I'll do my best” Daehyun said as the elder waved his hand and he and Jaehan left the office.

    “I'm glad to have you as my partner, Daehyun... Are you my hyung or dongsaeng?” Jaehan asked.

    “Hyung” Daehyun said “You can call me Daehyun though” he said and realized that Jongup and Youngjae always called him Daehyun, neither of them called him hyung.

    “If it’s what you want, Daehyun” Jaehan said with a big smile, he was very attractive, all the noonas at the office will fall for him for sure, Daehyun thought “Mmm, the restaurant is in Gangnam, thank God there aren’t many people in the subway at this hour”

 

“It's closed” Jaehan said in frustration as he reached the restaurant and the doors were shut.

    “I can see people inside” Daehyun looked through the glass door.

    “Should we knock?”

    “Of course, we're here for the interview, he must be waiting for us” the photographer knocked on the glass door carefully like he was afraid of breaking it.

    A young girl with dark blond hair opened the door and looked at them, curious and ecstatic, they were very good-looking men “The restaurant isn't open yet”

    “I know... we're here...” Jaehan looked kind of nervous, Daehyun thought and said:

    “We’re here to do the chef… Kim Sungwon? an interview” Daehyun tried to remember the name he saw in the folder.

    “Oh, you're from Noir, I expected older people” she chuckled, opening the door “My name is Yooa, I’m the hostess, please, follow me” she took them to a table for four “The chef will come soon, meanwhile can I offer you a coffee, a glass of water, a cup of tea?”

    “Coffee, please” Jaehan said and she nodded and turned her head to Daehyun.

    “Water, thanks” he said as she smiled and left.

    “She flirted with you” Jaehan said.

    “What? No!”

    “She smiled to you, but not to me”

    “I'm sure she smiled to you too” Daehyun shook his head.

    Yooa came back with the drinks and bowed, embarrassed: “Chef Kim will arrive at 3:00 p.m.”

    “But the interview is at 1:00!” Jaehan exclaimed.

    “He's stuck in traffic” she explained.

    “It's fine, we can wait” Daehyun said.

    “Can we?” Jaehan asked.

    “It took Geunsoo months to get the interview, we have to wait” Daehyun said and smiled to the blonde “We’ll wait”

    “Thanks for your understanding” she blushed and smiled big to him again before leaving.

    “She's really flirting” Jaehan said.

    “Just because people smile to each other doesn't mean they're flirting”

    “I am” Jaehan said as he smiled to him.

    “What?”

    “I'm joking” the other said and burst in laughter.

    “Of course you are” Daehyun said and laughed.

 

Flashback

Daehyun looked at Dasom's clothes, he didn't know whether to take them with him or not, after all, he already got the check and didn't plan to pass as her ever again.

    “What are you doing?” Yongguk asked as he entered the apartment and saw the pile of clothes and suitcases.

    “I'm packing”

    “You aren't good” he chuckled.

    “Well, there's too much stuff. When I came here I just carried a few clothes, it's not like I had much, then Himchan started giving me designer clothes and Youngjae made Jooe to buy me... I mean, buy Dasom clothes... I'll never be Dasom again, but I feel sorry to throw away the expensive clothes”

    “You can give them to charity”

    “I don't know any charity... Do you know any?”

    “Plenty”

    “Cool, help me to pack”

    “I just came here to say goodbye, but why not?” Yongguk shrugged.

    “Are you leaving?”

    “I’m Dasom’s bodyguard and she didn’t renew her contract with Ego…”

    “Oh, sorry, you can be other models' bodyguard”

    “I’m a cop, the bodyguard thing was a cover”

    “True, I'm very distracted... What happened? The drugs were supposed to be moved last night while everybody was at the party, did you find who X is?”

    “No” Yongguk shrugged “My plan B was to send half of my team to the port and the other half to the airport, you know, everywhere where the drugs can be moved, but nothing happened, it was a very quiet night”

    “My superiors dismantled the investigation, they said I never had proof to begin with”

    “But the former editor of Ego contacted you... You said he was murdered...”

    “I met him, but he didn't say a lot and the forensic said he died from a heart attack while driving… I guess it was nothing...”

    “So what will you do now?”

    “I'll return to desk work, and you?”

    “I don't know, I'll check into a cheap hotel, look for a cheap flat, I don't know...”

    “And Youngjae?”

    “I told him how I feel and he said he loves Dasom... I don't want to talk about him anymore… I don’t want to know anything about him anymore…” Yongguk nodded in understanding and put a hand on his shoulder to comfort him.

End Flashback

 

The time flew as Jaehan and Daehyun chatted. Jaehan loved to write and read and books, he even wanted to be a writer, but his father said that writers didn't make any money, so he chose journalism, although in his spare time he still wrote a lot, specially short stories and poems.

    “I'd love to read your poems someday” Daehyun said.

    “I don't know, I'm not good, nobody has read them” he said, kind of shy.

    “I'm sure they're good” The elder cheered him up.

    “Excuse me” Yooa showed up with more water and coffee “Chef Kim will be arrive later...”

    “What? But it's already 3... 3:40 p.m.” Jaehan said, confused.

    “The traffic...”

    “Traffic? So many hours?”

    “The truth is... He's in Japan and he... just got on the plane a few minutes ago...”

    “What?” This time it was Daehyun who yelped.

    “Sorry, he thought the interview was tomorrow....”

    “Wait” Jaehan checked his phone “Japan to South Korea is like 2 hours not counting the airport to here, we have to wait 4 hours or more?”

    “I know it's too much waiting..., but chef Kim will arrive for sure... He's very sorry for the delay...” she bowed many times, mortified “He called one of his friend who's also a great chef, he'll make you a meal while you wait...”

    “It's ok” Daehyun patted her shoulder to calm her down “Don't worry, we'll wait”

    “Are you serious?” Jaehan frowned at the blond.

    “It’s our work, Geunsoo said he wanted the interview, besides, we’re going to get free food” he looked at Yooa and smiled “It’s free, right?”

    “Of course”

    “Fine, we'll wait” he said and she nodded and like always smiled big to him before walking away.

    “You're really patient” Jaehan said, rubbing his nape. That gesture reminded Daehyun of Youngjae… “And nice...” he grinned mischievously.

    Daehyun shook his head to return to reality “She wasn’t flirting with me”

    “But you? Were you flirting with her?”

    “No, I wasn't” Daehyun hissed and looked away.

    “It means you have a girlfriend”

    “No, I'm single”

    “You're lying, you're fun and good-looking, you look like a model...” Jaehan said in deep thought.

    “Me? Model? Never” Daehyun laughed nervously as he realized that Jaehan hadn't mentioned Dasom at all. Everybody who saw him always mentioned Dasom. Mmm, Jaehan is more interested in smart books than fashion magazines... but Dasom's face is everywhere... Maybe he's waiting for the right moment to ask me for her number and a date with her...

    “Can I take the drinks to make room for the dishes?” Yooa asked and the others nodded. She took the glasses and the cups and left, then came back with plates and silverware as a waiter followed her with rice, pasta, steak, pork and side dishes “I hope you enjoy the meal” she said to both, but always looking and smiling to the elder.

 

Daehyun didn't want to behave like a pig before Jaehan, but it was hard to hold himself back as the food was delicious. The dishes were savory and sweet, it reminded me of something... someone...

    “This is really good” Jaehan said as he tried the steak.

    “I know, this is the best day ever” Daehyun his chopsticks and studied the spicy nuggets, usually, he didn't like spicy food, but those nuggets were delicious with a little sweet.

    “I love the dumplings” Jaehan took the last dumpling with his chopsticks “I almost ate all” he said, ashamed, and put the dumpling on Daehyun's plate. The blond was going to say thanks but the younger took the dumpling back “Sorry, it's a thing that couples do, I shouldn’t have put the dumpling on your plate, sorry...”

    “Friends do that too” Daehyun shrugged “You're always nervous like this?”

    “No, since it's my first day... and... that's all, it's my first day... I couldn’t even sleep, I wanted to do a good job and be liked by my superiors, plus I was afraid my coworkers were going to be older than me” he said and looked into the other’s eyes “I'm glad I met you”

    “I'm glad too, I like my superiors, but it's good to have someone almost my age to talk to” Daehyun said and Jaehan put the dumpling back on his plate “I guess I'll eat it before you take it away again” he laughed and ate the dumpling.

    Later, Yooa returned to clean the table, to her surprise the plates were empty.

    “You guys really enjoyed the meal, uh?” she chuckled.

    “It was fantastic” Daehyun said.

    “Can we meet the chef and thank him?” Jaehan asked.

    “Chef Bang is shy, but I'll try to get him” she said and left. Yooa went to the kitchen for the chef, he shook his head and said NO numerous times, but she gripped his arm and dragged him out of his sanctuary and took him to his fans.

    “Yongguk hyung?!” Daehyun said in shock as he saw the tall man that accompanied Yooa. He was so shocked he jumped out of his chair and ran to him.

    “Daehyun?!” The elder said in confusion and surprise “You dyed your hair” he said with joy in his voice as he recognized the blond “You look good, blond suits you”

    “Thanks” he giggled.

    “Since you know each other I won't have to introduce you” Yooa said “I'll leave you alone, I have things to do” she bowed before going away.

    “I don't know you” the future reporter got up to bow to Yongguk “I'm Kim Jaehan, intern of Noir”

    “Bang Yongguk” the black-haired man said.

    “So you finally decided to chase your dream of being a chef?” Daehyun said as he made his friend take seat.

    “No, I'm still a cop, I just came 'cause sleepy called me...”

    “Sleepy?” Daehyun asked as he sat down.

    “The chef Kim Sungwon is one of my best and oldest friends, I call him sleepy” Yongguk said with proud “Anyway, he called and asked me to make a meal for some reporter and photographer while he's in japan” he finished and looked at Daehyun “So you're finally working as photographer”

    “Kinda, the photographer of the paper is sick” Daehyun said “I worked with Sunhwa though, she's the best photographer of Korea”

    “I'm happy for you” Yongguk said “You look happier than the last time we saw each other”

    “Oh, Youngjae...” The younger sighed deeply.

    “You said you’d never talk about him again… Something happened?”

    “It's a long story...” Daehyun sighed again.

    “I'm all ears”

    “Actually I need to talk to someone and you can be objective...” he said and then remembered that Jaehan was there by his side.

    “I'll take a walk” The younger smiled and got up as he understood that Daehyun wanted to be alone with the chef.

    “Thank you” Daehyun said as he saw him wave, carefree, and walk away “You sure you want to listen to my problems?” he turned and asked Yongguk.

    “That's friends are for”

 

so bang yongguk is back...

I've always liked yooa and daehyun after I watched them together on “idol battle likes”

daehyun has many male friends, I chose Jaehan (spectrum), he's made several songs for him and sang together on dae’s mini album, you know, “empty” (☉_☉) I was surprised when I listened that, jaehan’s voice is so deep I thought of a rapper instead of a singer

poor Youngjae, he should have said I LOVE YOU back when Daehyun was still free...

he saw dae first, but now he has to get in line

“my enemy's enemy is my friend” should jae team up with jongup to get rid of jaehan?

jaehan is taller than them, XD

next chapter, what to expect? jaehan x daehyun, bang yongguk and bang yongnam, drunk youngjae... very stupid drunk youngjae... he’ll reveal jongup's secret... maybe

jongup's secret isn't bad, if it were bad, jae would never let him near dae, so dear readers, keep guessing?