The Build Up pt. 1

Complementary Opposites

And so on to the next arc during Winter break! This arc will lasts until CH9 so stay tuned~


 

It was already a week into their winter break and a majority of the students went home for the break, Ong Seongwoo included. There wasn’t anything else to do in the dorm anyway since his friends also went home and Daniel returned to Busan in the meantime. Luckily, Daniel helped him smuggle Niel out of the dorm so he was able to bring him home to Incheon. Although Seongwoo was bored out of his wits, one of the few perks he had, whenever he goes home, is freedom.

 

Specifically... The freedom to sing.

 

His family has always known about his talent and would usually encourage him to make use of it… Just not as a source of living. Regardless, they let him sing whenever he wants and he has no problem in doing so when it’s between him and his family.

 

And so here he was, roaming around their neighborhood with an earphone plugged on one ear to have something he can hum along to. Their neighborhood wasn’t that big but it wasn’t very small either. Either way, everyone knows everyone in their place and so Seongwoo doesn’t have a problem singing around them either. With their constant request for a performance from him in their parties ever since he was a child, he has long grown accustomed to their presence when he sings.

 

Seongwoo doesn’t know how long he has been walking around, but somehow he ended up in the nearby market area. It wasn’t that far from their place either but with his tall physique and distinct features, everyone else knows about him by now and so he still continues to hum with the melody.

 

“Oh, Seongwoo-ah! Look how much you’ve grown” Came the voice of Lee Sungha, the ahjumma by the vegetable stand and Seongwoo couldn’t help but smile. “Ahjumma! It’s been awhile, how is your son doing?” Sungha let out a fond laugh, “Ah, you know how he usually is. He’s still studying he’s hard these days that I have to remind him to play outside with his friends every once in awhile.”

 

Seongwoo chuckled, “The usual Woojin, huh? Guess he really wants to make you proud.” The ahjumma smiled and nodded, “That kid tries really hard even though I’m already proud of him. I think he already wants to help with all the finances!” Both laugh and continued to comfortably chatter while Sungha would attend to her buyers.

 

“So how has college been treating you? I heard you have pretty high grades.” Seongwoo hummed and nodded, “I’m actually a dean’s lister so I have to work hard and retain it if I’m going to maintain my scholarship.” Sungha chuckled and shook her head, “If it’s you, I’m already confident.”

 

“Aish, ahjummaaaaaa…” Seongwoo whined before he once again ducks down to adjust his glasses for the sake of hiding. “Yah! You shouldn’t be so embarrassed. You should have some more confidence in yourself, Seongwoo-ah” The said boy could only fidget with his fingers. “I know.. But it’s so hard! Especially when I have to sing.” The freshmen made a frustrated groan. “How am I going to be a singer if I can’t even sing in front of other people besides our neighborhood?”

 

Sungha chuckled at Seongwoo’s whining but nonetheless, she gave him reassuring pats, “Don’t you worry too much, dear. You’ll never know, maybe someday you’ll find someone who can give you the confidence boost you need.” The ahjumma playfully ruffled Seongwoo’s hair while he chuckled in reply. Good thing he didn’t style his hair today. “I’ll take your word for it. Thanks, ahjumma~”

 

Sungha never forgets to give him vegetables every time he comes back to town which is why he now had a small plastic of various vegetables in his hand. It was still early in the afternoon and Seongwoo has long finished his requirements before the break even started. For now, he just needed a breath.

 

The market has always been his favorite place. Amidst its hustle and bustle, he always has great finds for the cheapest of prices. Today wasn’t an exception either, he has been roaming around the market for at least an hour now after he left Sungha’s stall. That was when one stall by the end caught his eye. He was pretty certain it wasn’t there the last time so it must have been relatively new but its various displays were enough to catch anyone’s attention. It wouldn’t hurt to check so he made his way over to the stall and took his time in looking through their unique accessories.

 

On the corner of his eye, Seongwoo spotted a peach-colored cat pendant attached to a silver ring. Probably a keychain, Seongwoo thought. He doesn’t know why, but for some reaso, it reminded him of Daniel. Definitely the pink hair and love for cats. He thought to himself while he eyed the pendant on display “You’ve got a good eye.” Seongwoo flinched back startled and looked up only to come eye-to-eye with the seller.

 

“It’s pretty much the only one of its kind so unfortunately, it isn’t so cheap.” Seongwoo only smiled and lightly shook his head. “No, I’m not buying it. It’s just… it just reminded me of someone.” The lady behind the counter hummed, “Someone special, I presume?” The bespectacled male felt a warmth spread on his cheeks while he raised his hand that was waving in denial. “N-No... They just―... I m-mean he’s... He’s my friend… Probably best friend at this point..” He muttered, unconsciously smiling at the last line. “I see... He seems to be someone special to you, yes?” Seongwoo bit his bottom lip in hesitation but it eventually broke out into a smile now that he thought about it.

 

“I guess he is.”


~ .oOo. ~

 

In the end, the lady gave him the keychain but he insisted that it was fine. However, the lady was persistent and Seongwoo ended up accepting it while giving her a bit of the money he brought with him. And so, here he was in his room admiring the peach cat pendant that had a small gemstone by the cat’s collar. That is until his phone buzzed from his bedside table.

 

From: Daniel

How’s your break so far?

I’m already bored (╥_╥)

 

Sometimes Seongwoo is amazed by all the effort Daniel puts into his emoticons for the sake of expressing his thoughts and feelings.

 

From: Seongwoo

Lazing around.

Will probably end up rotting here...

 

From: Daniel

 

Well, would you look at that?

Guess we’re in the same boat.

 

If I remember right, you live around

Incheon?

 

From: Seongwoo

Yep. Why’d you asked?

 

From: Daniel

Just to be sure (^^;)

I don’t know that many people

living in Incheon.

 

With both freshmen bored out of their wits, they ended up texting the whole afternoon and time passed by so fast that the next thing Seongwoo observed is that the sky was already dark.

 

“Seongwoo!” Came his mother’s voice from downstairs and he immediately sat up at the call. “Yeah?” He called out while approaching the door to head his mom better. “You called?” His mother looked up from their staircase and immediately had a smile etched on her face at the sight of her son, “Their having another karaoke session down the street and they want to hear you. It’s been so long since we last heard you sing.”

 

The bespectacled male immediately smiled at the idea of singing as much as he wanted to and so he didn’t need to be told twice to get a coat before heading out to where their neighbors were. Seongwoo was too excited that he practically ran over probably without noticing that he did and he had to readjust his glasses while trying to catch his breath. “I’m here!” He exclaimed out of excitement which immediately caught everyone’s attention.

 

Sungha was the first to notice him so she called him over and Seongwoo was practically bouncing over to her side, “It’s been long dear boy, don’t you think?” She questioned as she hands over the mic in her hands to the bright bespectacled lad. “Sure has, I haven’t sung a whole song in a while.” That was how Seongwoo spent his night that day, singing as if there was no tomorrow and singing duets with whoever wanted to sing with him. His neighborhood has always been tight and every single one of them loved his voice. They were always his driving force or source of encouragement whenever he sings.

 

But then the most unexpected thing that could possibly happen .. happened.

 

Amidst their singing of BigBang’s Bang Bang Bang, Seongwoo didn’t notice the arrival of a tall newcomer with chestnut brown hair. Only Sungha spotted the newcomer who stiffly stood at the side while looking around. What interested Sungha was how the boy immediately made a wide smile once his gaze fixated itself on Seongwoo.

 

The ahjumma was very intrigued, Seongwoo doesn’t usually bring anyone outside of Incheon to their neighborhood. Last time he did that, he brought back a certain Hwang Minhyun for a project. She may be old, but Sungha is definitely sure that this is not that Minhyun. “Looking for anyone, dear?” She asked with a softness in her voice as to not scare the young lad.

 

The tall man with broad shoulders slightly looked down and flashed a sheepish smile, “N-No, it’s just... I was supposed to surprise him actually. He doesn’t know I’m here” He half whispered while ducking down to avoid being seen because of his big physique. Sungha could not help but smile at such a cute friend, Seongwoo has never mentioned this lad to her but she was already curious. The boy looked like he was around the same age, only bigger in body size.

 

“Let’s keep you hidden then, shall we?” The younger male flashed another thousand-watt smile and made small bows towards the ahjumma. “What’s your name, dearie?” The brunette scratched the back of his head out of embarrassment, “Daniel. Kang Daniel.” Sungha hummed, “Daniel, is it? Quite a unique name. Well then, Seongwoo is about to go for another song. Why don’t you surprise him by the front?”

 

Daniel nodded and bowed once again to the ahjumma before making his way through the crowd. Just as he was told, Seongwoo was indeed starting another song. One that he has heard in Seongwoo’s playlist the past few days, Last Love by Kim Bumsoo. By the time Daniel has reached the front, Seongwoo was already at the first chorus.

 

그대 오직 그대만이

(You, only you)

 

내 첫사랑 내 끝사랑

(My first love, my last love)

 

Daniel has already heard him sing when he first caught him singing in his dorm room, but seeing it for himself was an entirely different experience. He could clearly see Seongwoo enjoying it and singing with such passion as if the song were his own song.

 

지금부터 달라질 수 없는

(From now on it can’t be different)

 

한 가지

(You’re one of a kind)

 

Daniel was too immersed in the singer in front of him that he barely registered Seongwoo looking over his direction, eyes widening at the sudden appearance of a familiar face. As if it were a normal occurrence, Daniel just flashes his usual bright smile that puts the sun to shame while doing a small wave towards Seongwoo’s direction.

 

The business major was too overwhelmed that he almost forgot to sing the last line of the song so he quickly brought the mic back to his lips to finish off the first chorus with voice his coming out a little shaky.

 

그대만이 영원한 내 사랑

(Only you will be my love forever)

 

Before the next verse could even start, Seongwoo immediately handed the mic over to someone else near him before he made his way towards Daniel. “Hey―” Seongwoo clamps his hand onto Daniel’s wrist and proceeds to drag him towards his house, not once uttering a word due to Daniel’s sudden presence.

 

When Seongwoo finally closes the door behind him only then does he let go of Daniel’s wrist. “W-what.. what are y-you even... d-doing here? He asked, face all red in either embarrassment or exhaustion, Daniel wasn’t so sure which one.

 

Well, my parents left when something urgent in work came up so I’ll be lonely for the remainder of the break... Figured I could crash with you for a bit.” Daniel said, all smiles adorning his face but Seongwoo just stared at him and it made him nervous. “Um... Was it too sudden? I’m sorry... I should have thought this throughー“

 

“No!” Seongwoo immediately interjects with both hands raised to his front. “I-I mean.. it's fine. Just surprised and all. It’s just that.. Isn’t Busan like.. 3 hours away?” The business major inquired, “3 and a half actually.” Seongwoo blinked, “So you mean to say, you were already on the train while I was texting you earlier?”

 

Daniel was back to his bright smile when he nodded in reply, “Yep! Had to make sure you were at least here you know? I might end up surprising your family instead if you weren’t here.” Before Seongwoo could retort, his mother suddenly came into view.

 

“Oh, Seongwoo-ah. Who’s your friend?” She asked with a kind smile that Daniel would sometimes see on Seongwoo. “Ah.. this is Daniel. The one I told you about the other day?” The bespectacled male gestured to Daniel’s direction and the said male bowed at the elder female with a smile. “Nice to meet you, Mrs. Ong. I’m Daniel” Daniel shook the lady’s hand while the lady complimented Daniel on his built. “It’s already so late though. Daniel dearie, why don’t you stay for the night?”

 

“Actually, I was just about to ask if he could stay for the week,” Seongwoo interjected before Daniel could answer. “Oh of course. You haven’t brought anyone here since Hwang Minhyun so I’m quite ecstatic about this!” Daniel flashes another thousand-watt smile and proceeded to thank the elder woman for her kindness.

 

“Make yourself at home, Daniel. You can stay with Seongwoo in his room. We’ll bring up the extra beds later on.” Seongwoo was just about to bring Daniel to his room before his mother called out for the last time, “Seongwoo-ah, are you still going back to the karaoke? They’re still looking for you after you suddenly disappeared!”

 

Seonwoo was just about to say no but Daniel replied faster by a second, “We’ll be back after I put my stuff down!” The woman smiled, “Alright you two, don’t take too long.” Daniel smiled back and made a small bow before he turned back to Seongwoo who looked like a deer in headlights.

 

“What’s wrong?” Seongwoo started blinking again after being snapped out of his thoughts and looked back at Daniel, “Nothing, it’s just... y-you’re here... and.. I haven’t sung in front of.. anyone else besides them..” Seongwoo muttered while leading Daniel towards his room.

 

“How come? It’s a waste though, you have a really nice voice!” Daniel proclaimed with such excitement as if it was the first time he heard a human sing. “I-I’m.. just not confident enough... I grew up with them so I have no problem singing around here but..” He glanced back at Daniel and pushed his glasses back up to hide the blush on his cheeks. “.. y-you’re suddenly here and now... I’m suddenly shy... I-I don’t think I can sing..”

 

Daniel was probably internally squealing at the sight, Seongwoo always looked smaller and innocent when he was embarrassed. The dance major reached out a hand and held onto Seongwoo’s hand on his side. Seongwoo instinctively held onto the hand and Daniel proceeded to make comforting circles with his thumbs on The back of Seongwoo’s hand. “I’ve already heard you sing, and I swear you have nothing to worry about. You have a really beautiful voice that I wouldn’t mind listening to you the whole day.”

 

Seongwoo groaned at the cheesy compliment and repeatedly hits Daniel’s arm while the larger male only laughed.