It's a Date! pt. 1

Complementary Opposites

Daniel would encourage Seongwoo to sing whenever he can if it was okay for him to. Like how they were currently alone in Daniel and Jisung’s shared room with Niel running about. Seongwoo would hum along to the lyrics of whatever was playing on Daniel’s playlist as it blasts from the portable speaker in the center of the room.

 

Daniel always loved his voice. Smooth, filled with sincerity and emotion, slightly high pitched yet pleasing to the ears. It’s definitely something he wants the world to hear, but he’s not sure if it’s something Seongwoo is ready for. He definitely wants to help him reach that point. So first thing’s first, that singing competition. Sooner or later he’s going to have to break the news to him.

 

“So… Any news about the competition so far?” Daniel calmly slips the question while he sneakily takes another photo of Seongwoo being busy with the white furball. “Minhyun already submitted it the day before yesterday, I think? Apparently, he submitted all three recordings. Said something about needing those later on for the next rounds though I don’t know why.” The brunet unconsciously chewed on his lower lip while being deep in thought.

 

“You’re thinking of something.” Seongwoo said out of the blue while Daniel only blinked, “What made you think so?” Daniel asked with a playful tone, Seongwoo only chuckled “You always chew on your lips if you do.” The bespectacled male stood up and plopped down beside Daniel. “So what’s on your mind?” The dance major felt hesitant. Should he tell him? Well, he needed to know soon, right?

 

“If you sang in front of a crowd...” Daniel started, sparing glances at Seongwoo to gauge his reaction. So far so good, “... would you be more comfortable if your face was covered?” Seongwoo raised a brow, “You mean like the one in King of Masked Singer?” Daniel nodded while Seongwoo leaned on his shoulder while humming in thought, “Well, I obviously wouldn’t be recognized so I think it could help… But I think I could freeze like a statue if I were to take it off…”

 

The brunet hummed in reply while absentmindedly Seongwoo’s hair with his fingers. “Why the sudden question though?” Daniel paused and turned to the bespectacled beauty (Daniel would describe him like that any day, it was the truth after all), “How do you feel about joining a competition like that?” Contrary to what Daniel expected, Seongwoo looked calmer and looked like he was contemplating about it, but Daniel would never have expected his next words.

 

“This is about the vocal major’s contest, isn’t it?” Daniel’s eyes widened. Was I obvious? Did I happen to say it in my sleep? Damn, I really need to improve my sleeping habits― “I already knew.”

 

Wait… What?

 

Seongwoo chuckled at Daniel’s shocked expression, mouth hanging open with eyes being the very embodiment of ‘a deer in headlights’. “Wha... But... H-How?? Minhyun didn’t―” Daniel tried but he kept fumbling with his words, “You’re right, he didn’t. I just overheard.” He calmly replied while picking up Niel from the floor to scratch his ears. “When? I’m pretty sure we were out of earshot yesterday!”

 

“Ah, so is that what you were talking about yesterday? You had me worried when Minhyun needed to pull you away for awhile.” Why does he seem so calm about this??? No, wait. It's supposed to be a good thing since I wouldn’t need to worry. But now I’m just so confused! “W-Wait. I’ve been worried how I was going to break the news to you but then you already knew?! I worried about nothing―” Daniel continued to ramble while Seongwoo only watched him with visible amusement in his eyes. “So… How did you know about it then??”

 

Although Seongwoo still had a smile plastered on his face, he leaned back on Daniel’s shoulder while fiddling with his fingers. “Well… I overheard him once. He was on the phone with one of the seniors in the vocal department and they were still in the early stages of planning.” Daniel slipped his hands into his and intertwined their fingers. “What made you feel nervous when he broke the news to you?”

 

The bespectacled male bit his lip as he played with Daniel’s long fingers, “I just felt conflicted.” Daniel raised a brow, “About what?” The latter paused, “It was a great chance, almost perfect even. I just wasn’t sure if I was ready for a huge step like that.” Daniel wrapped his arms around the smaller male and gently tilted his head towards his shoulder again to where Seongwoo placed his head earlier. “Well, I’m absolutely sure you’re going to do hella great! Though I’m curious, what made you change your mind?”

 

Seongwoo’s smile stretched wider as he looked back up at Daniel with such endearment, “You did.” Faces merely inches apart, Daniel couldn’t help but admire Seongwoo’s features hidden behind those large wire-framed spectacles. “Is that so?” Seongwoo hummed while nodding in affirmation, Daniel could just melt into a puddle at this boy’s cuteness. Instead of literally melting, Daniel pecked Seongwoo’s lips and the latter instantly turned into different shades of red in embarrassment.

 

“Aw~ Ongie still gets embarrassed because of kisses?” Daniel teased while lightly pinching Seongwoo’s cheeks, “I-I wasn’t ready!” Daniel leaned a little closer, “Oh? Well, are you ready now?” Seongwoo, now trapped between Daniel’s huge body and the sofa armrest, turned a few shades darker. Daniel slightly smirked as he once again cupped Seongwoo’s face and closed the gap. Daniel held Seongwoo with the gentlest grip that made the other feel so loved he could cry. The two didn’t move further nor did they stop, the innocence of the kiss was enough for them to convey all their unspoken emotions.

 

Daniel pulled away and opened his eyes only to lock gazes with Seongwoo’s own, face still flushed in embarrassment and hand now intertwined with his. “Aigoo~ Seongwoonie is so cute when he’s embarrassed~” Daniel teased while Seongwoo buried his face in Daniel’s shoulder to hide his blush that has probably reached his ears at this point. The overgrown puppy held him close as he laughed at the bespectacled male’s cute antics and they stayed like that until an idea popped into Daniel’s head.

 

“Hey! Are you free tomorrow?”

 

Seongwoo tilted his head as he looked at Daniel with a confused expression, “Classes are about to resume tomorrow, aren’t they?” Daniel hummed in thought, “Though it’s already the second semester so wouldn’t our schedule be shorter than the first semester?” Seongwoo pushed back his glasses, a gesture done out of thinking that Daniel always finds adorable. “Yeah, I guess. Why’d you ask?” He asked after doing that adorable cat-like blink (That Daniel absolutely loves by the way)

 

“I want to take you out.”

 

Seongwoo felt a bit of heat spread across his cheeks, “Y-You mean… like a… date?”

 

Daniel nodded, excitement practically radiating in waves. “We just became official so I want to take you out!” Seongwoo, of course, also felt excited at the thought of going on a date for the first time but it kinda made him embarrassed. “O-Okay... There isn’t usually any school work to do during the first few days anyway.” Back at it again with Daniel’s blinding smile that felt contagious to Seongwoo as he smiled back.

 

“I’ll pick you up at 3 pm, is that fine?” Seongwoo shyly nodded and Daniel gave him a thumbs up.

 

“Alright, it’s a date!” Daniel excitedly declared that has Seongwoo blushing with a smile.


 

~ .oOo. ~

 

Daniel was deep in thought, obviously spaced out on the couch when Jisung just got home from his late classes. “What’s got you so occupied?” He inquired while making his way to the vacant space on the sofa beside Daniel. “Hyung…” Daniel started, tone soft with what he assumed were nerves but then Daniel’s expression was transitioning to a smile.

 

“I finally did it!” He exclaimed with such excitement that he was borderline squealing. “Did what exactly?” Daniel was practically buzzing with excitement. “I finally asked Seongwoo out! And he said yes!” For a moment, the two college men acted like high school girls as they squealed with Jisung hugging Daniel out of happiness, “I can finally stop worrying about you being single forever!” Daniel only laughed before Jisung finally let him go.

 

“So where do you plan on taking him?”

 

Suddenly, Daniel’s smile immediately faded and he was back to looking conflicted like he was earlier. “I-I don’t know yet… Oh , hyung what do I do?!” Daniel exclaimed, hands coming up his head to ruffle his hair. “Woah there, calm down. First of all, language. Second, don’t you have anything in mind?” Sadly, the younger only shook his head.

 

“I-I don’t know what he’s even interested or what he likes! I mean, he obviously likes singing but if he passes the elimination then he’ll be part of the live competition and he’s going to need to take care of his voice. Karaoke is obviously a big fat no, café dates are way too cliché and are just usually meeting places by now, I’m picking him up at three so that’s not even close to lunch or dinner but those are common too anyway,movies could work but I have no idea what he’s interested in or if he’s even interested in the new movies—“

 

“Alright, I get it! Just stop before your mouth gets too tired of your rambling and decides to fall off!” And so Daniel immediately clamped his mouth shut. “I get your point with the other date ideas since I also agree coffee dates are common but did you ever think of the park?” Daniel blinked.

 

“...No, I didn’t.”

 

“Then there you have it, go have a date in a park. It’s casual and nothing too fancy or uncomfortable. I’m sure he’ll love it” Daniel leaned back, arms crossed and brows furrowed. “... What are we going to do in the park though?” Jisung could hit this guy, why was he so dense? “Daniel, some parks even have bike rentals and I’m sure every park has food in it too. If the park permits it, then you can even have a picnic. Seongwoo looks like the type who would love whatever you plan to do anyway.”

 

“But what if he doesn’t end up liking it?” Jisung only rolled his eyes, “You’ll never know unless you try.” Daniel sighed, “Okay okay, I’ll be sure to remember that. Got any park in mind?” Jisung hummed in thought, “Ah!” He exclaimed with a snap of his fingers, “Yeouido Park!” The younger boy made a confused face, “Yeouido? The huge park by the river?”

 

Jisung nodded, “Not just any river, it’s the Han River itself! I’m sure you’ve at least heard of all the dating tips being connected to the Han River.” Daniel suddenly felt ecstatic, “Okay, I’ll look it up right away! Thanks, Hyung!” He said with a quick hug before rushing to his room for his tablet.


 

~ .oOo. ~


 

Daniel’s schedule ended earlier than Seongwoo’s the following day and so here he was, pacing around his room that now had clothes scattered all over the floor... “Ah~ Niel-ah, what should I do―” Niel was also walking around … somewhere (Probably under a tossed shirt at this point). Daniel had to dig around until he eventually dug him out of his black hoodie on the floor. “There you are, sorry about that boy.” Daniel apologized to the white feline as he scratched the back of Niel’s ears who purred in response. The white furball alternatively stays in Daniel’s or Seongwoo’s dorm depending who was free to take care of him. Right now, that would be Daniel.

 

“I’m finally taking Seongwoo out today!” Daniel said with an excited smile as he stood back up to look back at his closet, “What should I wear though… “ It took him a full minute to stare at his closet without any movement, “... Am I just overthinking this?” The white kitten meows in reply as it was busy its paws. “I’m probably just pressuring myself, aren’t I? What if I’m overdressed?? No, much worse, what if I’m underdressed?! He might just get turned off and not like me anymore, I mean he’s a fashionista himself, right? Damn, what am I going to do―?!”

 

Daniel snapped out of his rambling when Niel started rubbing himself against his leg. Daniel knelt down on one knee and scratched the cat’s head again, “You’re right. I’m being too much aren’t I? The winter hasn’t completely passed yet though so I’ll at least wear something warm.” The dance major once again got up to his feet and started browsing through his coats and hoodies in his closet.

 

“Something that doesn’t make me look too dressed… Aha!” Daniel took out his gray hoodie and spotted his slightly fitted sweatpants at the bottom of his closet. He took out both pieces of clothing and placed it on the bed to examine the overall outfit. “...Maybe I should add a jacket..” Daniel jogged back to the closet and snatched the closes coat which happens to be his long green flannel jacket that reached his calves with black stripes.

 

“Hmm… Now that looks better, doesn’t it?” He said as he looked over to the white furball on the floor who only tilted his head, “Yeah, I should probably ask for a third opinion.” The dance major fished out his phone and took a picture of his outfit before sending it to his most reliable second opinion.

 

From: Daniel

Hyung, is this too much?

Too casual? I can’t decide

。゚(゚´Д`゚)゚。

 

[ 1 photo attached ]

 

Daniel sat back on his bed while waiting for the reply, but it seems he didn’t have to wait for long.

 

From: Jisung

Casual yet comfortable.

I think it’s perfectly fine.

 

Where do you plan on going?

 

From: Daniel

I was thinking about pushing through

With your suggestion earlier…

 

Yeouido Park, right?

 

From: Jisung

A wise decision Danny boy.

And yes, it’s Yeouido Park.

Have fun! Tell me all about it later.

 

From: Daniel

Will do~ Thanks, Hyung!

 

With a satisfied grin, Daniel plugged in his phone to leave it charging while he changed into the chosen set of clothes for their date. The brunette gave himself a once over on the full body mirror of their room and tapped his chin. “Hm... maybe a few accessories...”  Again, he looked around and went over to his closet, rummaging through his stash of accessories. He doesn’t usually use them, but taking Seongwoo out was pushing himself to look presentable with the help of various silverworks.

 

In the end, he opted for simple silver earrings since it was just a casual date at the park. “Just a few more finishing touches…” He muttered as he scurried to the bathroom and fixed his hair with his fringe parted in the center. Again, he steps back and looks at every detail of the outfit and he has to admit, he had probably never put this much effort into what he wears.

 

“Okay.” Daniel breathed out, swiping a loose strand away and making sure he had everything in his backpack like his phone and wallet. “Okay…” With one last look, he glances at the clock that now read 3:09 pm. Before he could stop himself, Daniel sent a text to Seongwoo before making his way towards Seongwoo and Minhyun’s shared room.


 

~ .oOo. ~


 

Seongwoo was already back at their shared dorm room by 2:14 pm since he rushed out of class out of pure excitement on what was about to transpire in the following hour. Daniel was finally going to take him out and he was very sure that he was going to enjoy it. The business major took a quick shower and even hummed while doing so, all because of the excitement bubbling in his chest at the thought of going on their first official date. After putting on his usual lenses, Seongwoo walks over to his closet. Though when he opened his closet, he suddenly felt a sense of dread.

 

“What am I supposed to wear..?”

 

“That’s new, you’re actually worried about appearance?” Came a voice from behind Seongwoo making him turn his head at breakneck speed only to see his roommate by the doorway. “Y-You were here?” The latter only rolled his eyes in response, “You were too busy being like a lovestruck school girl that you barely noticed I was just lounging around on the sofa watching you skipping around the dorm.”

 

“I-I was not―!”

 

“Yeah, sure you weren’t” Minhyun smirked while Seongwoo huffed with a faint blush on his cheeks, “Whatever.” He muttered while looking back at his rack of clothes. “You know, even if you don’t think about what to wear, you always manage to pull off your weird sense of style that I’m actually envious of that.” Seongwoo scoffed, “Did you just say that I basically look good in everything?”

 

“No, I’m pretty sure I’d still laugh if you only wore a trash bag”

 

“And here I was thinking I got the most legitimate compliment from you.” Seongwoo chuckled at their typical banter before his smile faded once his attention diverted back to his closet. “Winter isn’t completely gone so just wear something that isn’t too cold or hot and you’ll be fine. I’m sure Daniel would still find you attractive even if you did dare to show up with just a sack on.” Seongwoo looked back with a raised eyebrow, “Are you just lowkey telling me to wear a sack to the date to get this over with?” Minhyun only hummed in thought, “Maybe?”

 

The latter threw the closest throw pillow to Minhyun’s direction. Unfortunately, Minhyun easily dodged it before walking back to the couch while laughing. Finally, Seongwoo was left in peace and absentmindedly rummaging through his clothes.

 

The first thing he fishes out from his closet is his black jeans with a rip by the knees since he usually sees it as the most versatile thing. Black jeans can be worn when someone wants to be casual or slightly dressed anyway. He thought to himself. “Minhyun suggested dressing warmly…” He muttered, eyes directing themselves to the hoodies and pullovers he had in his closet.

 

In the end, Seongwoo ended up picking a black long sleeved pullover that was probably a size too large. Seongwoo sometimes preferred larger clothing anyway especially if they were sweaters and the like. His current plain black pullover wasn’t too big but the sleeves were long enough to give him sweater paws. “All black it is,” He said with a shrug.

 

Seongwoo was done dressing up by the time Daniel texted him that he was on the way to the room. While waiting, he combed his hair down and gave himself a once over in the mirror, “You look fine, stop checking yourself out already. Daniel’s going to love you either way.” The latter blushed before Minhyun continued, “Aren’t you going to need a coat? I know you’re sensitive to the cold so I don’t think a pullover is enough.”

 

The bespectacled male looked back with a hum and glanced at the window seeing how foggy the glass panes were, “... Yeah, you’re right. I need a coat.” He said with a nod before walking back to the room when the doorbell echoed through the room. “Probably Daniel, just let him in!” Came Seongwoo’s voice from the room but Minhyun would have let him in without being told to anyway.

 

The moment Minhyun opened the door, he had to hold in a laugh and it got Daniel looking confused. “If he ends up wearing that green coat I swear―” As if on cue, Seongwoo came out of the room with the said dark green checkered coat that reached his thighs. Minhyun ended up laughing at the unexpected incident.

 

The two actually managed to match clothes without even asking, “Ah this is ridiculous and yet it’s happening. What kind of chemistry is this?” He said as he gestured to the two who looked equally surprised. “Huh, would you look at that” Daniel said with a laugh bubbling at the back of his throat while Seongwoo blushed, “I-I can change―” Before he could retreat to the room, Daniel already held his wrist to prevent him from doing so.

 

“It’s completely fine! I mean, it’s pretty amazing, don’t you think?” He said with a chuckle as he looked at Seongwoo’s outfit. The dark green checkered coat matched well with his own green ones but Daniel’s coat was longer that it reached his calves while Seongwoo’s stopped mid thigh. Meanwhile, Seongwoo’s coat made his already small body look smaller while the sweater paws just scream adorable.

 

“Let’s go~!” He playfully cheered while tugging Seongwoo’s fingers that were peeking out of his sleeves. “I’ll obviously be home late so don’t miss me too much!” Seongwoo playfully said to Minhyun before closing the door behind him. The room was now silent in the absence of the two lovebirds so Minhyun went back to the couch to resume his reading.

 

“Dumb and Dumber indeed.”

 


And that's another weekly update! So obviously we're going to have the date chapter next (yay~) and that's an automatic double update (double yay?) The date turned out to be longer than expected so I had to split it into two (CH16-17) but I wouldn't want to leave you all hanging so I'll post both simultaneously next week :3 

Also if you haven't seen my tweet, the story is almost finished! I estimated it would end at around CH24 (including the Epilogue) and I'm currently in the middle of writing CH 23. If I manage to finish this story before February, then I'll start updating twice a week since all the chapters are finished anyway! Hope you can stick around to look long enough for the future updates! (and if it still reaches your expectations) <3