A Daunting Challenge

Complementary Opposites

Sooooo here is the weekly update! hohoho tbh I'm almost done with the entire story. hopefully, I can finish it over the break so I only need to worry about editing :D


It was just 10 in the morning when Seongwoo finally finished packing his things in preparation for going back to the university dorms. Seongwoo doesn’t usually check his phone often (unless he hears distinct message alerts he set for different people) but he was already asleep when he received Minhyun’s text.

 

Which is why he ended up seeing the text two days later when he was about to leave for university. What could possibly be important that he won’t tell me through text? The bespectacled male only shrugged and pocketed his phone and loaded all his things into the car while waiting for his mother. It didn’t take long until the elder woman finally came into view with a few items in her hands.

 

“Alright, are you sure you got everything packed?” His mother inquired and Seongwoo nodded with a smile in reply, “Yeah I’m sure, I already double checked everything like you said. I didn’t forget my phone charger anymore.” The elder woman chuckled and Seongwoo raised a brow at the items his mother was holding.

 

“What are those?” He asked while point out to the two folded pieces of clothing in the woman’s arms. “Ah yes, these..” She said before proceeding to hand over the clothes to Seongwoo. “I ordered these as a gift for you for Christmas but it got delayed and it only came today so Merry Christmas dear,” She said with a loving tone and Seongwoo unfolded the black one out of curiosity where his eyes immediately landed on the Stussy logo printed at the back.

 

“Y-You ordered two Stussy shirts?!” He exclaimed out of disbelief yet he had a smile on his face. “I-I mean.. I love them! It’s just... Isn’t buying two too much? Just one is already expensive..” Yet the elder woman shook her head, “I only ordered one actually. Turns out they had a promo for it during that time so the other one came for free.”

 

The elder was explaining while Seongwoo placed the black one on his torso to check if it was too big or small. It was leaning more on the large size but Seongwoo preferred loose clothes on him anyway. “Oh dear, is it a little too big or did you lose weight?” The young male shook his head, “Nah, it’s just right. I prefer my clothes a little larger, remember?”

 

“Ah, yes… I see you never grew out of the habit.” His mother said with a chuckle. “Oh, maybe you could give the other shirt to Daniel. It seems just about his size too.” Seongwoo perked up at the comment and nodded. “Will do, mom!” The bespectacled male said with a smile before hugging his mother.

 

The ride to the university was filled with conversation and sometimes his mother checking up on his status in university and how the experience was to him so far. After they finally arrived at the university in front of his dorm building, Seongwoo already finished unloading his stuff from the car and was about to go on his way before his mother called out to him again.

 

“I almost forgot to give these to you,” She said as she handed him a small paper bag. “What’s this?” He asked while trying to look into its contents. “It’s your new contacts. I remembered how you texted me before that your old ones expired so I already got this prepared just in time when you came back. Luckily I remembered to pick it up yesterday so I also bought a cleaning solution for it too.”

 

Indeed when Seongwoo peeked into the bag, there were two containers for the two sets of contact lenses and a bottle of the cleaning solution next to it. “Thanks, mom! I’ll be going now!” He said with a small wave before making his way up to his shared room with Minhyun.

 

To his surprise, the room was still void of life. A clear indication of how Minhyun has yet to arrive which was new since he always came to the room with a Minhyun cleaning the dorm of filth. After removing his shoes, he went over to his room anyway and unpacked his stuff all the while putting some things back in their usual places.

 

Seongwoo looked back at the door, making sure nobody else was there before opening the last bag he had with him. The bespectacled male instantly smiled at the sight. Niel was sitting beside a small pile of his remaining clothes (which he probably has to wash because of cat fur later). Although his mom told him to leave the cat behind, he couldn’t do it so he secretly placed him in his bag before he brought his bags to the car.

 

His mom would probably be furious but he’ll cross that bridge when he gets there. Right now, Niel is hungry. Seongwoo stood up and went to the small kitchen in their room with Niel who followed suit. Seongwoo filled the bowl and placed it beside Niel who instantly started eating while Seongwoo went back to his room to continue unpacking everything.

 

With his portable speaker now blasting music throughout the room, Seongwoo continues to unpack while singing along to his favorite playlist. Suddenly his phone dings with a distinct message tone he set for none other than Kang Daniel. Of course, he wouldn’t know or see how a smile instantly decorated his features as he picked up his phone on the coffee table.

 

From: Daniel

Just arrived at the dorms!

I’m still unpacking tho

 

From: Seongwoo

I’m already here actually.

 

From: Daniel

What?!

And I thought I was first..(╥_╥)

 

How about coming over?

 

From: Seongwoo

Already on my way.

 

Just as he said, Seongwoo was already on his way with a small bag with him. It didn’t take long ‘til he was already by Daniel’s door ringing their bell since he was only a few floors down. Seongwoo didn’t have to wait long either since he could practically hear Daniel running to the door and stepping to the side to let him in. Before anything else, Seongwoo placed down his back and opened the zipper to let the white furball out.

 

“You brought Niel with you?” Daniel said with excitement lacing his tone as he made his way towards the cat to play with it. “I couldn’t let him be! I tried but he just gave me those cute eyes that I always melt for!” Seongwoo whined while Daniel only laughed at his childishness, “I’d honestly do the same. I guess that’s why my parents hide Peter and Rooney from me before I leave for university.”

 

Silence filled the air and only then did Seongwoo notice the playlist blasting from Daniel’s speaker, “Wasn’t this our Christmas karaoke lineup?” Daniel sheepishly scratched his cheek, “Well.. yeah. It was a really fun Christmas, you know? I wanted to remember it forever” Said the brunette with pink now dusting his cheeks and Seongwoo could coo at the sight right then and there.

 

Speaking of Christmas…

 

“Oh! I almost forgot…” Seongwoo said before walking back to the abandoned back on Daniel’s doorway. “Mom actually got me a Stussy shirt but it turns out there was a promo she didn’t know about so she got two shirts,” Seongwoo explained as he pulled out the white long sleeved Stussy shirt. “So, this is for you.” He finished with the brightest smile on his face while Daniel’s jaw could almost drop to the floor.

 

“You’re kidding.”

 

“I am thankfully not.”

 

“.... Seriously?”

 

“Yes, seriously.”

 

Daniel hesitantly reached out and held onto the sleeve of the now unfolded shirt with a very visible print of the distinct Stussy logo printed on the back.

 

“You know if I take this now then you won’t be able to get it back, right?”

 

“Of course, it’s a gift after all.”

 

“Do you know how much this costs?”

 

“I am fully aware Daniel.”

 

“... You’re sure it’s for me?”

 

“Daniel just take it, please.”

 

No matter how much Daniel tried to look nonchalant about it, his excitement was practically radiating in waves and Seongwoo couldn’t be happier. “Do you like it?” Seongwoo asked although it was unnecessary judging by how Daniel was practically handling the shirt with such care. “Do I like it? I love it actually! Tell your mom I said thanks!” He said with a smile before carefully putting it away in his closet.

 

(“Hey! It’s a perfect fit! Good thing you like loose clothes or it would’ve been tight.”

 

“Well excuse you, loose clothing is way more comfortable”

 

“Well, I can relate to that. Imagine you wearing my oversized clothes though, you’d look smaller than you already are.”

 

“Wha-?! It’s not my fault you were born with a huge figure! You’re just too big!”)

 

Seongwoo was already lying down on his side on half of the couch with Niel resting beside him while he watches a random variety program. Daniel already finished unpacking and putting away his speaker in the process to let a more relaxing atmosphere settle between them. The brunette sat beside Seongwoo’s laid figure on the sofa and placed the throw pillows on Seongwoo’s thighs where he laid his head.

 

Daniel remained in place, throwing comments here and there on the variety show they were watching while Seongwoo was absentmindedly Niel’s head. It’s always been relaxing like this. Daniel talking to himself (or was he talking to Seongwoo?) and Seongwoo nodding or making noises to signify he was listening even if he wasn’t.

 

But Seongwoo’s thoughts were a bit preoccupied. He looked at Daniel and observed how animated he always has been. All the wild gesticulation, his bunny teeth that pops out ever so often, and how his smile never falters.

 

“....woo..”

 

How the heck Daniel keeps that smile on is probably the biggest mystery to him. Doesn’t his cheeks ever get tired? Seongwoo himself could barely smile or laugh for long periods of time since his cheeks would usually end up aching.

 

“...woo…-ongwoo..!”

 

Wait, has Daniel always had three moles? The one under his eye is usually visible but Seongwoo hasn’t noticed the two others that were far apart but he could also make out a bent line on Daniel’s side profile. What was it called again? Oh, right. Orion’s Belt.

 

“Seongwoo!”

 

Seongwoo jerked and finally came to notice his surroundings and how his gaze was solely focused on Daniel. Damn, was I actually staring? “You got me scared back there, what’s got you all zoned out and thinking?” Daniel asked with his chin resting on his palm as he looked at Seongwoo’s eyes through his lens.

 

“Ah, no. It’s just…” The bespectacled male readjusted his glasses before diverting his gaze to the moles on Daniel’s face. “... I never noticed those before.” He said while making a gesture towards his face but Daniel looked confused. “Your moles.” Seongwoo supplied and Daniel snapped his fingers in realization.

 

“Ah, you meant this line here? It feels inferior compared to the summer triangle on your face though?” Daniel teased after poking the said constellation on his face. Seongwoo chuckled, “Don’t be ridiculous. You have a constellation on your face too! I’m pretty sure that’s Orion’s Belt.” Seongwoo pointed out but Daniel looked confused.

 

“... What’s that?” Daniel asked while Seongwoo chuckled, “It’s a part of the large constellation Orion that’s why it’s dubbed as Orion’s belt. They’re three stars aligned to form a line at the constellations center which made it look like the belt Orion was wearing.”The brunette hummed in amazement while brushing his finger down his own moles.

 

“Cool! When does it come out though? I remember constellations aren’t always out for the whole year.” Seongwoo tapped his chin in thought, “Ah!” He exclaimed with a snap of his fingers, “We’re still within range! I can actually show it to you tonight!” He excited said and Daniel mirrored his actions. “Really?! I’ll be sure to remind you to show it to me later!”

 

“You know, I was curious about the summer triangle when I saw your moles,” Daniel said out of the blue, Seongwoo only blinked. “Oh? And what did you find out?” He asked as he entertained the white kitten while Daniel sat up and scooted closer. “This one is Altair,” Daniel started while pointing at the topmost mole. “This one is Vega,” With a gentle brush to the middle mole, “And lastly, that’s Deneb. They all have pretty names.”

 

Seongwoo chuckled, “What’s got you all interested in astronomy all of a sudden?” But he wasn’t prepared for the impending cheesiness Daniel had in mind. “So if you’re not with me, I can just look at the night sky and the stars will instantly remind me of you.” The brunette said with a teasing smile as if he’d been planning to say it all along while Seongwoo groaned and visibly cringed at the line by repeatedly opening and closing his hands.

 

“Kang Daniel, what on earth?” Complained the bespectacled male while Daniel fell back on the couch laughing. “T-That...That was so worth it!” Seongwoo kicked his side and Daniel landed on the floor with his . Yet, he was still laughing while slamming his hands on the sofa. “You should have seen yourself! I’ve kept that in for so long! You don’t know how long I’ve waited to say that!”

 

“Aish… You’re ridiculous.” Seongwoo gave up, not without letting a small smile play on his lips. The freshmen duo have long given up on whatever the television was showing and resorted to letting Daniel’s playlist play through his Bluetooth speakers. Of course, with Seongwoo practically being Daniel’s part-time radio, the dance major would still ask him to sing even if the song was playing in the background with the excuse of ‘I missed hearing you sing.’

 

With all the music going on, Seongwoo almost missed the ding of a message tone from his phone. The bespectacled male dug into his pocket and fished out the device to see he received a text from his roommate.

 

From: Minhyun

You arrived earlier than I thought

you would, that’s new.

 

So where are you anyway?

 

From: Seongwoo

Daniel’s dorm.

Why?

 

From: Minhyun

Had some big news for you, remember?

I’ll be there in a while.

 

“Who’s texting?” Daniel asked while he attempted to look at the screen but Seongwoo held it away from Daniel’s eyes. “Just Minhyun, he said he’s coming over in a while. Something about dropping big news.” Daniel hummed, “Do you have a clue what it is?” The latter shook his head, “He only texted me once over the break when I was just about to leave so he didn’t really drop any hints or anything.”

 

Daniel suddenly burst laughing and Seongwoo was completely confused, “What are you laughing about now?” The brunette, now curled up in a ball while holding his stomach, struggled to subside his laughter. “I-I just thought... Pfft..” Daniel let out a few more giggles, “What if his big news was some sort of automated vacuum cleaner he bought? Now that’s.. That’s really something.” Seongwoo ended up laughing along, accidentally shocking Niel in the process.

 

Their laughs started to die down when a quick buzz finally came through the door, “Definitely Minhyun. He knows the password yet he still uses the buzzer” Seongwoo commented and Daniel chuckled before letting the other male in.

 

“Is your big news some sort of automated cleaner?” Was the first thing he heard from Seongwoo but Minhyun waved him off. “I wouldn’t bother telling you about that since I know you wouldn’t care.” The bespectacled male leaned back with a playful smirk on his lips, “Well, I wouldn’t deny that.”

 

Daniel decided to interject, “So what’s so important you had to say it face to face?” He was genuinely curious, Minhyun hardly makes a big deal out of anything. Minhyun smiled and fished out a phone to show them a poster from the vocal department. “The vocal department is holding a singing cover competition within the school for non-vocal majors and I think it’s a perfect opportunity for you.”

 

Suddenly, Seongwoo was silenced with eyes as wide as saucers. “B-But wait... You know I can’t―!” Minhyun immediately cut him off, “I’m not finished.” Daniel could see how Seongwoo’s hands were visibly shaking but it didn’t seem like a good time to interfere so Minhyun picked up where he left off, “It’s a singing cover competition but the participants will be left anonymous to the judges. They wouldn’t know it’s you! It’s either you submit a video with your face covered or just an audio file is fine.”

 

Minhyun and Daniel had their gazes fixated on Seongwoo who has yet to open his mouth but his hands continue to shake in visible shock.

 


This is a bit late, but I hope you all had a great Christmas~ I also have an angsty one-shot coming up... later? tomorrow? idk depends on when I feel like putting it up lol 

So here it is! The big reveal and basically what I think is the very start of the story itself (wow such intense slow burn, it took me 11 chapters to finally get this thing going lol)

Also, some of the readers already found me on twitter. But if you haven't, then I am very easy to find since I literally have the same username on Twitter ^^' So yeah, just type in @ShirayukiSayaka and I should be the very first results with an HD picture of Ong Seongwoo being rude and a blue galaxy as my cover photo (then again I'm pretty sure there's no other person with that username) 

Again, hope you all had a great holiday! Merry Christmas~