It's a Date! pt. 2

Complementary Opposites

“Ta-dah!” Daniel proudly exclaims with a bounce to his step, arms outstretched at the view while Seongwoo’s mouth was left hanging in amazement. He always knew about the park alongside the Han River but he didn’t know the park was going to be this big. It would take hours to roam the entire thing but Seongwoo doesn’t mind if it means spending more time with Daniel.

 

Daniel looked just as amazed as Seongwoo was as he excitedly looked around, the luscious green scenery and cool breeze bringing a sense of calm and relaxation from their hectic urban lives. “Amazing, right? I haven’t been here either but I figured that would be better since we get to explore new places together!” The bespectacled male thought it was perfect, they both just get to relax and explore a place neither of them has been to while enjoying the company of each other.

 

“Oh! Look!” Daniel pointed to his right that has Seongwoo looking in the same direction. It was the bike route for the bike rental within the park and it was filled with bikers going in their own respective directions. Various bicycles were in use ranging from the ordinary ones to mountain bikes and two-seaters. “It’s been awhile since I rode one” Daniel recalled while Seongwoo tilted his head in curiosity.

 

“Is it fun?” He asked and it has Daniel raising his eyebrow, “You never rode a bike?” To Daniel’s surprise, Seongwoo shyly shook his head with a dust of pink spreading on his cheeks. “Aw~ Lil Ongcheongie is embarrassed again~” Daniel cooed with hands pinching Seongwoo’s pink cheeks while the said boy whined. “It’s fine, I can teach you how! Trust me, you’re going to love it” Daniel encouraged as he walked over to the bike rentals while holding Seongwoo's hands.

 

Seongwoo wasn’t really scared, he just loved the feeling of Daniel’s hand wrapped around his.

 

~ .oOo. ~

 

“Ever tried riding one?” Was the first thing Daniel asked when he returned from the bike rental shop with one bike. “No... “ Seongwoo replied with a bit of hesitation at the prospect of trying something new. Daniel didn’t miss the tone, “No worries, I’ll make sure you won’t fall off” He said with the most encouraging smile that it pushed Seongwoo to trust him before straddling the bicycle (even though he has always trusted Daniel in the first place).

 

“Okay. So first, you obviously have to put on the helmet they provided.” He explained while picking up the helmet on the bike’s basket and placing it on Seongwoo’s head. “Too tight?” He asked while adjusting the strap of the helmet while Seongwoo shook his head. “It’s fine.” The latter nodded and fastened the helmet on Seongwoo’s head.

 

“Next, just put one of your feet on the pedal― There you go, just keep yourself steady with your other foot on the ground before you take off. Now, just give yourself a small push off the floor and put your foot on the other pedal and that’s it! The only thing you’ll need to worry about is keeping your balance.” Seongwoo visibly gulped because of his nerves so Daniel stood by his side while holding onto his hand on the handles, “You’ll be fine. Promise I won’t let you fall” Seongwoo knows that, but he couldn’t help feeling like this.

 

Was it even nerves or is he interpreting his emotions wrong and he was actually excited?

 

Seongwoo took a deep breath, grip becoming more relaxed before he finally made his first attempt. Contrary to what he believed, he did better than he thought when he was able to travel a small distance before he fell since he was too distracted. Luckily, Daniel was jogging beside him so he reached out and held both the bike and Seongwoo before he could come face-to-face with the asphalt.

 

“Woah there, easy now. Are you okay?” Daniel said as he scanned Seongwoo’s figure for any visible injuries or scratches but the latter was only laughing. “This is actually kinda fun!” He said and Daniel smiled back, relieved to know that Seongwoo was actually enjoying himself. “Well, for a first attempt, you did great! Just keep it up and you’ll be riding like a pro in no time!” Seongwoo felt more confident after that. After the third attempt, Seongwoo was now completely familiar with it that he no longer needed Daniel’s assistance so Daniel rented his own bike and both proceeded to ride along the bike route along the Han River.

 

“Wow~ Busan is already beside a body of water so I get to see it all the time but the Han River has its own appeal.” Daniel voiced out his thoughts while Seongwoo averted his gaze to Daniel’s face. Anyone could look beautiful under the moon but Daniel always suited the sun more. Indeed they were quite an interesting pair, weren’t they? “It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” Daniel said, gaze not once leaving the river.

 

“Yeah, it is,” Seongwoo replied with a smile even if they were talking about different things. Daniel made them stop by the side and he took out his phone, gesturing Seongwoo to stand closer. “C’mon! We don’t have a picture yet!” He said with a small bounce to his steps. The business major chuckled, Kang Choding once again making himself known. Daniel kept swishing about, trying to look for the perfect lighting before pulling Seongwoo closer towards himself. Once he got the lighting right, Seongwoo directed Daniel on how they shouldn’t be in the center of the frame claiming that it looks more aesthetic that way.

 

“Law of thirds, Daniel. Don’t place us in the center”

 

“Why not? It looks fine to me”

 

“Just photography aesthetics, it’s more pleasing that way and we can get more of the scenery into the picture.”

 

“But you’re already aesthetic, what more could a camera do?”

 

“ . . . “

 

Daniel wiggled his eyebrows with a teasing smile.

 

“Ugh. Please stop.” Seongwoo pushed Daniel away although a blush was obviously creeping up his face. Daniel only laughed as he received another one of embarrassed Seongwoo’s hits on his shoulder.

 

“It’s still a long way ahead, let’s go!” Seongwoo said to completely divert the topic and partially because he grew to love the feeling of the late afternoon breeze against his skin when they rode the bicycles. “To think you couldn’t even ride this earlier…” Daniel said and Seongwoo shrugged with a smile, “I learned to love it, riding alongside you makes it better.” The brunette grinned, “Oh? Guess you’ve been hanging out with me so much that you’re starting to become cheesy”

 

Daniel poked at the other’s cheek, “It’s not cheesy if it’s true,” Seongwoo countered, “Then you being aesthetic is also true” Seongwoo covered his face with a groan (probably trying to cover another blush) while Daniel sets his phone on silent to take a candid shot of his bespectacled boyfriend.

 

Wow, that sounded great. I should call him that more often.

 

“See?” Daniel said as he showed Seongwoo his phone. The photo was simple. Seongwoo who was covering his face was leaning against the barriers while the cityscape of Seoul across the Han river stretched along the background. As a finishing touch, the sun’s golden rays gave detail and depth to the picture’s overall saturation that it gave of a warm vibe despite being taken in the late winter season. “You’re aesthetic”

 

Seongwoo only blushed further.

 

~ .oOo. ~

 

“We should do that again sometime!” Seongwoo declared with a bounce in his steps as they exited the bike rental shop, almost having to pay for overtime if they didn’t return it in the next 3 minutes. “Didn’t you ever get the chance to ride a bike when you were a kid? Like, not even once?” Seongwoo once again shook his head, “Tried a skateboard before and I usually go wherever with it. Fell once and got a really bad scratch on both knees and arms so my mom forbids me from trying anything similar.”

 

Daniel blinked, “You used to skateboard?” Seongwoo only smirked, “Yeah I know, I don’t look like the type, right?” He said as he made imaginary quote marks in the air while the brunette nodded. “You should show me someday, I’d like to see the unimaginable.” The bespectacled male pouted, “Mean, but it’s true!” He defended and the banter kept going until Seongwoo promised to show him when he got the chance. As they were now walking along the path of the park, they can now properly take in the scenery around them. The park was vast with numerous kinds of trees all around the vicinity, some had leaves while some did not and Seongwoo was currently skipping around stepping on the fallen leaves.

 

Daniel was just following close behind him, hand raised with his phone as he takes a video of the childish Ong Seongwoo jumping around on leaves. “What’s got you this happy? Don’t you pity the leaves? They’ve done nothing wrong” Tone heavily laced with teasing intention while Seongwoo looked back with a pout, “I can’t even have fun?”

 

The brunette laughed and walked closer to the pouting male, “Of course you can, I’m just curious what has you so bouncy when I’m usually the bouncy one.” Seongwoo only smiled, “Because I’m spending so much time with you in a new place we know nothing about so it’s fun! I even learned how to ride a bike!” He replied with such enthusiasm that he didn’t look like a 20-year-old freshman at all.

 

“Our date hasn’t even ended yet but you’re already so happy, wah~ At this rate, I might end up carrying you for being too tired later on with all the energy you’re using” Seongwoo flashed a teasing grin, “I doubt you’ll have problems with that so I’ll freely drain my energy” Daniel only chuckled with a small shake of his head, arm still held high at shoulder level that it has Seongwoo tilting his head in curiosity.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“I’m trying to get a signal, it’s getting weak”

 

“Really― Eh? It’s four bars though?”

 

“Maybe it’s ju―”

 

“Wait, did I just see your camera open?”

 

“No, I’m sorting my photos”

 

“... You’re not taking a video are you?”

 

“Pshhh, of course not. Why would I?”

 

“Then show me.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Let me see your pho―”

 

“Don’t wanna”

 

“Just let me s― Hey! You ARE taking a video! Come back here!”

 

Daniel immediately jumped away when Seongwoo caught a glance at the camera but he kept the lens focused on the smaller male, “Aw~ Look at you all embarrassed. It’s cute” He teased as he playfully zoomed in and out. “Yah! Kang Daniel!” Seongwoo complained, face flushed in probably because he was embarrassed and he was tired of chasing around the obviously physically superior male.

 

“Aw, my little-bespectacled boyfriend is all red again” He casually says to the camera as he wraps one arm around Seongwoo’s shoulder. Meanwhile, the said boyfriend was focusing on the floor to hide his embarrassment at the label. Daniel chuckled, “I knew that label would have an effect~ Sounds new yet so right,” He said before leaning down and leaving a peck on Seongwoo’s temple.

 

“Alright, I stopped. You can look now” Daniel nudged the smaller male until he finally looked up and ended up locking his gaze with Daniel. “Why were you even taking a video?” Seongwoo muttered but Daniel just grinned as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, “It’s our first date, I have to save as much as I can since I don’t want to forget any of this in the future” Seongwoo only pretended to vomit, “You’re getting too cheesy each day” He complained but Daniel only nudges him with a grin, “You know you like it anyway”

 

“...Okay fine, maybe I do”

 

“This is nice though,” Seongwoo started as he looked around the park with his eyes sparkling in admiration, “Park dates are underrated but it usually gives the best atmosphere” Daniel was sure to make a mental note of that. “It’s a pretty good picnic area too. I mean, look at all the space! And it’s even beside the river so it doesn’t feel too hot at all.” He continued to ramble on while Daniel grinned since he did, in fact, prepare things for a picnic later on. But Seongwoo didn’t know that, oh how shocked will he be when Daniel springs the surprise on him.

 

When Daniel looked over to Seongwoo who suddenly went silent, the latter was staring into space. Or rather at an ice cream vendor. “Want some?” Daniel asked and Seongwoo hummed with a slight tilt of his head. “We still have dinner to think about though.” He said in which Daniel only grinned, “Oh you don’t have to worry about that. I got it covered.” Daniel didn’t fail to see the glint of happiness despite being hidden behind large glasses.

 

“... You sure?” Seongwoo said for the last time before breaking out into a wide grin when Daniel nodded in reply. “Then I want mine strawberry.” The brunette raised an eyebrow, “Didn’t peg you as a strawberry person.” Seongwoo chuckled, “What did you think I would like?” Daniel paused, “Pegged you more as a … chocolate or vanilla person. You looked more like someone who still chooses the basics.” It was Seongwoo’s turn to raise his eyebrow, “Isn’t that you, though? They don’t call you Kang Choding for nothing after all” He countered with a teasing grin while Daniel scoffed.

 

“You’re the only one who calls me that.” He said with a laugh as they made their way to the ice cream. “Good, at least I got my own nickname for you that reflects you well” Daniel scoffed, “Technically Jisung made that nickname after I threw some popcorn on the back of his head but you’re the one who kept using it in the end” Seongwoo hummed, “That still makes me the sole user of that nickname” He countered and Daniel just laughed it off before they bought their own ice cream cones.

 

“Oh look, it’s you” Seongwoo playfully comments as he places his ice cream cone beside Daniel’s head. “Ya, how am I supposed to look like an ice cream cone?” Seongwoo giggled before he brought it back to his lips, “I was referring to your pink hair when we met. You were a total blur to me since I dropped my glasses during the collision so my first memory of you was a pink blob”

 

The brunette hummed in acknowledgment, “Makes sense,” But then he paused and suddenly held back a laugh, Seongwoo raised a brow “What’s wrong?” He tilted his head to try and get a better view of Daniel’s expression but the latter just shook his head and waved him off. “It’s… It’s nothing. I just.. Haa…” He wheezed in between laughs that just made Seongwoo all the more curious.

 

“Oh c’mon it can’t be that bad”

 

“Trust me, it’ll ruin Strawberry ice cream for you”

 

“Try me”

 

“Don’t say I didn’t warn you”

 

“I’ll take full responsibility”

 

“Okay, you asked for it” Daniel shrugged before stifling another laugh. “You said the pink blob reminded you of me so wouldn’t that mean you’re eating me right now?” Daniel said with a teasing grin on his face. In a split second, Seongwoo’s cheeks put the strawberry ice cream to shame as he hid his face in his free hand with a groan. “And here I thought you were supposed to be the cute and innocent overgrown puppy…” He overdramatically said with a fake upset tone as if the biggest betrayal just happened to Ong Seongwoo.

 

“Hey, I gave you a warning. You still asked for it” He teased as he continued to eat his own vanilla ice cream. Daniel didn’t get away from the flurry of embarrassed hits on his shoulder though but as always, he laughed it off. “Oh don’t act so innocent! The fact you understood means you’re not so clean in there either!” Daniel countered with a grin, “... Now you just ruined strawberry ice cream for me. I’ll always remember this conversation whenever I order strawberry” He complained while wiping off a fake tear from his eyes.

 

“Oh stop it you,” Daniel laughed as he playfully nudges Seongwoo who in turn smiled back while diverting his attention back to the ice cream. “Quite a strange choice though, eating ice cream when winter isn’t completely over” He commented but Seongwoo shook his head, “There’s always time for ice cream, Daniel” He said with a few finger-wagging gestures as if he were some wise guy which made Daniel laugh for the nth time that day. “And I'm supposed to be the choding?” The latter just nods, “I just happen to be childish but I doubt my mental age would be lower than yours.”

 

“Let’s just say we’re equally childish then” Daniel argued but the smaller male remained adamant.

 

“No, you’re forever more childish and you know it.”

 

“You just said you’re childish too, what makes us different?”

 

“At least I don’t throw popcorn on people’s heads”

 

“That was just once!” Daniel whined but Seongwoo had that mischievous grin

 

“Is it really?” He grinned as he stared into Daniel’s eyes with hints of provocation to go against his statement.

 

“.... Okay, so maybe it’s not but―”

 

“Knew it.”


“Ugh, fine.” Daniel gave up and flailed his arms in front of him as if to exaggerate which Seongwoo found highly amusing. Wait, is Daniel pouting? Ah, he’s such a kid. Kang Choding indeed. He thought to himself before taking one step in front of Daniel and giving him a peck on his pouty lips. “There, don’t be mad~,” He said with a bit of aegyo in his voice that Daniel couldn’t help but ruffle his hair, “Aw~ Look at you acting all cute and innocent. Why can’t you be like this most of the time?” The brunette teased while the latter huffed before he continued to walk with the smile not once leaving his face.


And so that was date pt.1! just move on to the next for part 2 :D