Fun!

She Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Saturday, 11:47pm

Like the night of the day I first met Sana, I lied in bed, thinking of her. Only this time, it was under a different light. Not only did she say she would become the perfect manager for the team, she also committed to it. All those paperwork she had prepared herself to do. All the little observations she made after standing there and watching a single practice. She impressed me, I had to say.

Maybe Minatozaki Sana wasn’t that bad of a person as I had initially thought.

No wait.

Maybe she was more than “not that bad.”

But still, who was Minatozaki Sana exactly?

Suddenly, I became–...

What was the word...?

...Interested?

Sana used that word at the coffee shop. What did it mean exactly? Was it the type of interest that people associate with love? Or was it just curiosity? By definition, “interested” means “showing curiosity or concern for something or someone”. When did the phrase “to be interested in someone” become something that had to be associated with romantic feelings?

If I had to guess, Sana wasn’t romantically interested in me. She showed more interest in getting to know me better as a person and a baseball player. Every time she tried to flirt with me, it never felt genuine. It never felt like she was trying to portray some degree of love. It felt more like she was toying with my heart. Like she only ever flirted with me just because she would get amused at my reaction. I wouldn’t be surprised if she were that way to everyone.

So she was interested in getting to know more about me. And we had Mina to thank for that.

If we look at “interested” by its dictionary definition, I would admit that I was interested in Sana as well. She was the new manager; I was interested in how she would adopt the role of manager and fulfill that role. Although I had known her for a few days and she had expressed very much in those past days, I couldn’t say that I knew who Minatozaki Sana was and what she was like. I almost felt like she was keeping her true character and background a mystery by displaying a specific outward image, so I felt interested in learning more about her, too. Although she was beautiful and she knew how to make my heart react dramatically, I couldn’t honestly say that I was interested in her romantically.

My phone vibrated on my end table, slightly startling me. I reached over for my phone to check the notification.

“Dubuuuuuu!!!” -Nayeon-unnie

A text message from the one and only Im Nayeon. Now that was something everyone wanted to receive.

Im Nayeon was, inarguably, the most popular student at the university I would soon be attending. Everyone knew her name. Although she was never any part of the student council on campus, she was the face of our university. So really, how she became so famous, I couldn’t tell you. Her position and reputation may seem intimidating at first, but once you get to know her, she’s the bubbliest and friendliest person you’ll ever know.

Chaeyoung and I knew her from high school. We were only freshmen then, and she was a senior. It was at our school’s first baseball game when we met her. She always came out to events the school held. After the game, she herself approached the dugout. The players who were sophomores and above were all awed by her presence and unable to greet her. Chaeyoung and I, being the only two freshmen who didn’t know who she was, approached her and greeted her. We liked her right away. The way she carried herself seemed mature but, at the same time, she acted childish. That made her the fun sort of friend who you knew would be there when you needed her. Ever since that first game, it became a routine for Chaeyoung and I to wait for Nayeon to approach us at the dugout after each game.

Unfortunately, I don’t see her as much as I’d like to. She was probably my only closest friend who was so fun and bubbly, but she was never around. Sorry Chaeyoung, but you’re kind of a downer sometimes; especially nowadays while you brood over Mina. Can I have a friend who’s as fun as Nayeon but is always around?

“Hey Nayeon-unnie!” -Dahyun

“Baseball season just started right?” -Nayeon-unnie

“Yeah like a few days ago” -Dahyun

“Well you tell me your whole game schedule and I’ll come to all of them!” -Nayeon-unnie

“Haha definitely. I appreciate the support!” -Dahyun

“Anyway, that’s not why I’m texting you. I wanted to hang out with you and Chaeyoung! I never see you guys!” -Nayeon-unnie

Right she was.

“Ok I’m down!” -Dahyun

“Ok cool! Let’s stop by for lunch tomorrow at noon. See ya there! :)” -Nayeon-unnie

I smiled to myself. It had been a while since Nayeon and I last hung out, so I was excited.

 

Sunday, 12:03pm

Chaeyoung and I stood in front of the restaurant we planned to eat at. Nayeon tended to be late so we didn’t mind the wait.

Finally, we noticed her in the near distance running towards us. Chaeyoung and I glanced at each other before we both started sprinted towards her. We both wrapped our arms around Nayeon in a bear hug, causing her to nearly fall.

“We’ve missed you, unnie!” the both of us exclaimed as we further suffocated Nayeon. I felt her tap my shoulder while muttering “tap out, tap out,” so I released her from my hug. Chaeyoung followed.

When we stood there facing each other, Nayeon gave us the biggest smile, showing her gummy and, at the same time, toothy smile. She wrapped her arms around the both of us. “How have my two baseball dongsaengs been?”

“Nayeon-unnie,” Chaeyoung groaned, “I’d say okay, but your hug is so tight that I can’t say I’m doing okay right now.”

Nayeon released us from her hug and then raised an eyebrow at Chaeyoung. “Okay, but my hug probably didn’t compare to yours. Considering there are two of you and you’re both so athletic and so strong.”

I laughed, “Chaeyoung’s the only strong one here. I mean, have you seen her arms?”

“Perfect for a pitcher, right?” Nayeon said.

Chaeyoung only shyly chuckled, “Don’t give me so much credit.”

“Okay, anyway,” Nayeon cleared , “So I was thinking lunch, but I hope you guys aren’t too hungry to not do something else.”

“Do what?” I asked. 

“That!” Nayeon pointed across the street to a newly opened arcade area.

I smiled suddenly at the thought of going to an arcade. It had been a while since I last went to an arcade. I always thought it was so fun to play, but that stopped after I grew up and focused more on baseball. My pastimes no longer included going to the arcade. When Nayeon suggested to go there, I became so excited. Like the inner child in me had been awakened at the sight of this arcade place. It was new too, which raised my excitement to a whole other level.

Chaeyoung and I exchanged a glance. The both us were smiling like idiots. We were still children at heart, including Nayeon.

“Yes!” I exclaimed in excitement, “Lunch can wait, let’s go to the arcade!”

The three of us immediately ran towards the arcade place.

The first game Chaeyoung went to was a game that involved dancing. It wasn’t like Dance Dance Revolution where you only really used your feet; this one actually detected your movements with a camera. I wasn’t going to join Chaeyoung until I noticed one of my favorite songs was among the selection. “New Face” by PSY. Immediately, I stepped up to play. Chaeyoung gave me a smirk as if to say “I knew this would drag you in.” Nayeon laughed at the small interaction.

Although she didn’t dance, she seemed to be having fun watching. She clapped obnoxiously and shouted words of motivation as we danced. Chaeyoung and I finished with nearly a tie, although I got more credit for being “as energized as PSY”, as the game said. Nayeon eagerly jumped up and down asking if she could play. I allowed her to take my place.

They danced to “Gashina”, probably Chaeyoung’s favorite song. I watched as they both danced almost perfectly to the song. They would always be at least a millisecond early to each dance move, which indicated that they were both quite familiar with the dance. The ended with a from-start-to-end streak of great’s and perfect’s.

After playing a few other games, the three of us walked around the large arcade place, looking for a photo booth where we could take pictures.

“So you guys haven’t told me how you’ve been doing since the last time I saw you,” Nayeon said, “How’s baseball so far?”

“Mina-unnie quit and same with Jeongyeon-unnie. So we have a new manager,” Chaeyoung said.

Nayeon frowned, “Mina quit? That’s too bad. I loved watching her on the field. She somehow always played with such elegance.” Then she raised an eyebrow, “Who’s the new manager? And how do you like her?”

Chaeyoung shrugged, “I’m skeptical about her.”

We found the photo booth and slowly walked towards it.

“Dahyun here hates the new manager,” Chaeyoung added.

“What? I don’t hate her! I just–“

I was interrupted when two people who were in the photo booth suddenly exited, stopping the three of us in our tracks. I swallowed my words.

Minatozaki Sana. How did she always appear in places where I don’t expect to see her?

Beside her was Hirai Momo. Japanese. Third year. Another face of our university, although in a different sense. She was purely exceptional at dancing that she became quite famous for it. She was always given the opportunity to perform at school events, and she would always accept. I didn’t personally know her though, as I did with Nayeon.

“Dahyun, Chaeyoung. Fancy seeing you two here,” Sana said. Then she turned to Nayeon and bowed her head.

“Who is this girl?” Nayeon whispered to me.

“Minatozaki Sana. Our manager,” I whispered back.

“Oh,” Nayeon nodded and then reached her hand out to Sana. “I’m Im Nayeon,” she said with a smile.

“Hi, I’m Minatozaki Sana, nice to meet you,” Sana returned the smile as she shook hands with Nayeon. “This is Momo,” she said, gesturing to Momo.

“I know,” the three of us said at the same time. Sana gave a look to Momo, who was chuckling to herself.

“I’m glad you know me,” Momo said.

“It’s like stan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter