Wild

She Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wednesday, 10:02pm

“Are you ready?”

I nodded as I tapped the tip of the bat against the home plate and then swung it over my shoulder. My cleats lightly danced over the sand as I swayed from side to side, waiting for the ball to leave Chaeyoung's hand. As soon as it did, I swung the bat back behind my head some more before swinging forward as it flew by. The bat collided with the ball, creating a loud smack that echoed and disappeared into the night sky. Chaeyoung and I watched as the ball flew high above her head and into the far darkness. When we heard the ball fall to the grass some yards away, Chaeyoung began to approach me.

“I don't know why you insist on practicing so much when you're so good already,” Chaeyoung said when she was near.

“I don't wanna disappoint Jihyo-unnie,” I said, which received a scoff from Chaeyoung.

“You won't,” she replied, “You never do.”

And she was right. I've been playing baseball under Jihyo's coaching for two seasons now. Tomorrow begins a new season. Every year, Jihyo expresses how truly amazed she is at my skill. She's even asked why I bother to come to practice at all when I really don't need it. I just enjoy baseball too much to skip practice.

“Thank you for doing this with me, Chaeyoung,” I smiled at her, and she only sighed.

“Mina-unnie and I have been practicing with you for over five years now. It's nothing really,” she said as her lips curved into a small smile.

“I really do appreciate you guys for putting up with me.”

Chaeyoung gave a small pat to my shoulder, “You're a lot to deal with, but I admire your determination so I could never refuse.”

I started playing baseball when I was in junior high. Back then, I always wanted to join a sports team, but I didn't know which one was right for me. When my best friend Chaeyoung told me that she was joining the baseball team, I decided to choose baseball and I joined the team with her. But I . I couldn't pitch the ball, couldn't bat, and couldn't slide for the love of God. Everyday, coach would make me sit on the bench because I “wasn't ready”; but it seemed like I was never ready in his eyes. Despite all of this, I loved baseball from the start.

Being the determined person that I am, I decided to push myself. I wanted to become that player who was always ready. I practiced day and night with Chaeyoung and her friend Mina, who I knew got tired of practicing all the time. Despite the exhaustion, they stuck with it. By the time high school rolled around, I was a pro at baseball. I joined the high school's baseball team and made it to the varsity level as well as starting line-up. Soon enough, my name went around campus fairly quickly. Everyone knew me as that girl who excelled at baseball but was also a friendly person. People weren't used to sports jocks who were so inviting, which was probably how I became popular so quickly. Not only did people want to befriend me, they also wanted to date me. Everyday, I would find love letters in my locker, from both boys and girls. But I never did respond to any of them.

My third year in high school, I joined an outside baseball club. Now, I'm a freshman in college, and my third season in this league would begin tomorrow.

I was beyond excited. Spring was always a season I looked forward to; not for its beautiful sunsets or nice warm weather like others enjoy spring for, but for baseball season.

“Let's head back,” Chaeyoung suggested, “It's late and you're more than ready for practice tomorrow.”

I sighed, “Alright, let's head back.”

Chaeyoung and I lived in the same apartment, not too far from the university we would soon be attending in a week. But college is a matter to be dealt with after our first couple baseball practices, so I'll worry about that later.

Chaeyoung and I walked down the dimly lit streets. I held my duffle bag over my left shoulder and my bat over my right. Chaeyoung tossed the baseball between her two hands.

“You know,” she started, “Mina quit baseball for good.”

I wasn't surprised, since I had known that Mina would end her baseball career fairly soon. Only that it came too soon. She insisted that she wanted to focus more on academics over baseball, which I respect. Now, she was a sophomore, and college would only get harder each year. It was only the most perfect time for her to drop baseball.

I still couldn't help but be upset at the news. “It's too bad, but,” I sighed, “I respect her decision.”

Chaeyoung only frowned, “I won't be able to see her all the time, as I used to.”

I could see the hurt in Chaeyoung's eyes, even under the dim street lights. As her best friend, I could tell she had feelings for Mina, stronger than the sort of feelings friends have for each other. It was bittersweet, but cute. She truly was head-over-heels for Mina, although she would never directly admit to that.

“At least you're a year ahead of your age. So you're going to the same university as Mina now, and you don't have to wait until next year,” I tried to lighten the mood, but Chaeyoung only sighed.

“I guess,” she mumbled.

Although I was already well into my years, I can't say I had ever felt what love was. I've had some crushes in my middle and high school years (you could never avoid those), but it never turned into something long-term. The feeling wouldn't last a week before my mind told me to move on, as though the person I had been crushing on was really nothing special the whole time. When I look at Chaeyoung as she thinks of Mina, I can tell that it's more than just a silly crush. It had to be love. There's a sparkle in her eyes that only comes as she thinks of her. Even now, while she broods over how Mina had quit baseball, the sparkle in her eyes still lingers. Never had my eyes sparkled like that for someone else.

The rest of the walk home was silent, as we both thought about how our next baseball season would be like without one of our closest friends.

 

Thursday, 4:30pm

“C'mon, Chae!” I shouted from the living room as I put my shoes on, “We're gonna be late!”

I heard Chaeyoung scoff from the bathroom, “I dunno if you can't read the time, but it's 4:30 and it takes us five minutes to get there.”

She was right. If we left now, we would get there at around 4:35, although practice would start at 5. I sighed as I sat on the couch, impatiently waiting for Chaeyoung to finish getting ready. I don't know how she managed to do it, but she slept until 4pm today. I know I usually wake up late in the day as well, but this was ridiculous.

Finally, Chaeyoung finished. It was only 4:42 now, but I was eager to leave as soon as possible. Chaeyoung seemed to give up at trying to convince me to leave the apartment until later, since at this point, she must've learned that her efforts would only be futile. So we left the apartment, hopped on our bikes, and pedaled to the practice site.

We arrived at the practice site in about three minutes, sooner than expected. That was probably tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter