Ch #22

Beauty with a Sword.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER #22

MAYBE.


Bora was, in the lack of better words, dumbfounded. How the hell has their playful banter abruptly turned into a proposal? She couldn’t even begin to understand what was going through Sehun’s head. Was she the only one who felt that he was being a little too hasty? It was the matter of their whole lives, well, maybe it was not as life-changing for him as it was for her, but still, it will have an effect on his future. He has just started courting her. They didn’t know each other well. Yeah, they knew enough to care, but even that detail was a little too vague. They have never openly talked about it. What they want, what they expect and why they decided to trust each other rather than anyone else – every little detail was blurry and unclear. Marriage was too big a step.

“You look like you saw a ghost.” There was a teasing smile lining his lips, as the young King put a little distance between their bodies which was appreciated at the moment because Bora needed to think and him standing so close wasn’t helping it.

“Aren’t you being too straightforward?” She decided to confront him with her genuine thoughts.

“Am I?” Sehun shot back with a slight tilt to his head.

“How so?” The flustered girl had half-a-mind to whack the King on the back of his head just because he asked such an obvious question.

“Marriage is a big step.” It wasn’t that hard to decipher.

“So am I aware, Miss.” The male replied confidently.

“You just started courting me.”

“Is that so?” He wondered out loud with a musing expression on his face.

“I thought I have been courting you since we had that fight in Ceya. You wound me with your ignorance.”

“I’m not joking!” Why wasn’t he taking her seriously?

“Neither am I,” Came the quick reply. Bora was sure her face was burning at the moment. How can he be so calm about it? Actually, on the brighter note, it was actually a blessing that he wasn’t a blushing mess like her. It would have just made the situation worst and awkward.

“Do you really think I go around seeking masked ladies with swords daily for fun?”

“I never said that! Besides, you won’t even come across such a lady on a daily basis anyway.” A breathy chuckle left Sehun’s lips as he tipped his head down to gaze at her with somewhat mischievous eyes.

“Of course, you’re one in a million.” He teased which promptly earned him a shove at his shoulder that in turn only incited him to laugh. Bora stared at the male in exasperation (a little bit fond one) and shook her head to pull herself together when she found herself getting lost in his childlike glee. A couple of seconds of companionable silence passed between them afterward which she disrupted reluctantly.

“I’m being serious. Marriage…is something that you should be really sure about. You barely know me.”

“I thought we established the fact that I know you enough.” Bora lifted her head up to glare at him (under the impression that he was still joking), but ended up looking awkward when she saw the genuine sincerity on his face.

“You don’t know a lot of things that should matter…” She replied hesitantly. The bad character and name that was associated with her person (wrongly) could harm him in the future.

“I-I don’t know you. I don’t know what you want out of whatever this is between us.” Silence prevailed the sphere around them as Sehun scrutinized her face with accessing eyes.

“People won’t be happy with your decision; especially those of my town. I’m just a maid. Won’t that harm your reputation-”

“I don’t care about that and you should stop too. We can’t make everyone happy.” The King cut her off in a rather firm manner.

“Miss, this is my life. I have a right to pursue the lady of my interest. As far as your town is concerned, I’m sure they would be ecstatic to have a lady from their own as a Queen. People change faces faster than they change clothes. You don’t need to be worried about my reputation.”

“But-”

“And as far as the matter of knowing each other is concerned, I’m not asking you to marry me right away. If you like me and happen to foresee a bright future beside me then get engaged to me. As per ritual, the marriage will be six months after. You have the right to end our engagement anytime you feel like I’m not the type of life partner you want.” Bora swallowed the doubts that she wanted to voice out as soon as she heard that. It was plausible; it’s not like it was possible that she would ever find him lacking and even if she did she would never have the heart to break her relationship with him. She was already way too far gone. Besides, that marriage wasn’t about having the perfect partner. It was about having the ability and willingness to accommodate.

   So, why was she even hesitating so much? She knew she had feelings for him; more serious than she had ever expected them to be. Even the thought of him being with someone else makes her jealous – it hurts her. But wasn’t it so selfish of her?

“I can hear you thinking,” Sehun claimed with a click of his tongue and playfully narrowed his eyes at her. She would have readily played along (especially when she so badly wanted to get rid of the tension around them) if it was not for the last doubt blaring in her mind.

“What if it’s you who think I’m not fit?” That’s what scared her the most. She won’t be able to handle it.

“Shin Bora, I wouldn’t have asked for your hand if I wasn’t already sure. You’re not made for the mundane life. I’m giving you the chance of doing something big.” Bora brought her gaze up to his face in astonishment and bit down on her lower lip to stop herself from saying something stupid. Never in her whole life has anyone understood that need of her. Oh Sehun was really something else.

“Is marrying you a big thing?”

“You know, that’s not what I mean.” Sehun objected immediately with a frown which soon deepened when the girl in front of him burst into the peal of laughter.

“Many would consider marrying me a big thing anyways…” The King grumbled under his breath offended which only caused her to wheeze further.

“Are you ready to revoke your proposal, yet?” Bora inquired with a teasing smirk once she has managed to calm herself down.

“You have to try harder for me to do that.” The King responded with a fake serene smile before counter-attacking.

“Are you going to accept it then?”

“Ask me when I’m ready.” She replied with a nonchalant shrug of her shoulders.

“And when would that be?” She couldn’t help but suppress her laughter when she noticed just how flat his tone was.

“When you beat me in the sword fight.” The instantaneous smile that graced his lips was pretty comic.

 


Her new room was luxurious. It was filled with objects of lavish luxury; something that she hasn’t had a chance to experience ever before in her life even when her father was alive. Her father was a simple man and inheriting his traits she was never quite fond of these things as well. So, yeah, she preferred her old room better, but this one has to do because it was the only room that was built right in front of Sehun’s room in the opposite wing.

   Speaking of Sehun, ultimately instigated her train of thoughts to turn back towards the date that they had almost two days ago. After her playful remark, the King has excitedly pulled her along to a secluded place in the forest that lines the bounda

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter