Ch #20

Beauty with a Sword.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER # 20

THE UNEXPECTED VISIT.


The previous night felt like a dream; as if it was something that descended right out of the fairytale world that her kid-self used to create whenever she had idle time. Bora can’t believe that it actually happened. She can’t believe that the things that have been a bane of her existence, that she has been so scared of, were nothing but a lie. They were fabricated and held no worth. There was no reason for her to be afraid or feel ashamed. Her father wasn’t a traitor and even if he was Sehun didn’t care. Somehow, that fact mattered to her the most. It was funny how some strangers become so important for you. Few months prior she would have never even considered the King’s opinion of her person the least bit significant, but now she cared; she cared so much that it scared her.

 Bora was positive that whatever happened- it was a fragment of her imagination and would have religiously put her faith into it too if it was not for the fact that she could still feel Sehun’s lips insistently pressed against hers. She can still feel the delicate sensation, the soft, heated touch, and the tingling that it induced in her lips. She can still feel herself heating up (that she was) along with the erratic beating of her heart. She can still feel it as if she had experienced everything only mere moments ago…but it has been hours since the experience and they still had a lot of things to discuss.

What was it all about? Why did he kiss her? Why did he care? Why did she let him? Why did she care? The answers to these questions were obvious, but she was too scared to admit to anything. She was scared of getting her hopes high only to have them shattered in the end. It was not likely, but it was still a fear she couldn’t get rid of. It lingered in her mind like an ominous omen; reminding her of the fact that what she wanted was kind of impossible. How often a King harbors any sort of infatuation for a common girl in real life? It was all in fairytales.

   Was she really lucky enough to have a fairytale of her own?

 

“Bora,” Sooyoung’s sudden shout of her name pulled the lost girl out of her deep musings, as she hesitantly came to a stop.

“Where are you running to?” Her friend asked incredulously once she was standing next to her.

“I have been calling out to you for a while. What’s gotten you so occupied?”

“I’m looking for Sehun,” Bora replied in a hurry before wistfully gazing towards the end of the hallway where she was headed to before the other maid stopped her.

“We were supposed to talk, but I overslept. It’s really important. I need to see him before he leaves for the journey.”

“Calm down,” Sooyoung insisted while taking a firm hold of her shoulders.

“The journey has been canceled, don’t you know?” She continued with a confused frown before deliberately reaching out to tame the mess on her head – the frantic girl was sure that she was making one wild spectacle.

“I just woke up.” Bora deadpanned before moving away from the hand that was patting her hairs down. She appreciated the gesture, but now was not the time for it.

“Why did it get canceled?”

“From what I’ve heard, an official messenger from our neighboring Kingdom came with a message that their King would be arriving in Exo sometime today and they requested permission to enter. Usually, that would have not stopped our King from leaving, but it is Haeruk- our rival Kingdom and the other King is here to meet Sehun; supposedly they are coming with a peace offering.”

 “Out of the blue?” That sounded suspicious.

“Apparently not,” Her friend cleared with the shrug of her shoulders.

“Baekhyun told me that it’s been in talks for years. He said something about finally installing peace in the territory; a joint project of a sort if I understood it right.”

“Well, if you put it that way…” Bora trailed off with a thoughtful countenance, trying to find any minor or major fault in the whole deal, but ended up sighing in defeat when she found nothing.

“I’m sure our King knows what he’s doing.”

“I never doubted that.” Sooyoung pointed out morosely before her expression suddenly shifted into a mischievous one.

“Sehun came looking for you, you know?”

“What? When?” She was sure that the other female was lying just for the sake of teasing her, but she still can’t stop herself from reacting in such a passionate manner.

“In the morning, when you were sleeping,” So maybe, her friend was not lying. She didn’t look like she was, she can’t be too sure.

“I offered to wake you up, but he told me to let you sleep since you were up late.”

“You’re not lying?”

“I’m not lying. What do you take me as?” Sooyoung looked a tad bit offended, but she would take care of it later.

“You should have woken me up!” Bora complained petulantly instead of answering her.

“He told me not to! That was an order from the King. I can’t disobey. Not everyone is privileged like you.”

“Shut up.” She asserted with a frustrated groan before continuing.

“Where is he right now?” An answering shrug from Sooyoung caused her to groan once again.

“You should try asking one of these maids. They will know for sure.” Her friend advised with a teasing smile which only prompted her to scoff.

“I’d rather search for him myself.”

“Suit yourself.” The other girl commented off-handedly before tipping her head in the direction of the stairs.

“The last time I saw him, he was in the main launch of the second floor. Not too sure, but they must be in the Grand Hall. You should hurry if you want to catch him before the other King arrives.” Bora didn’t need much prompting after that.

 

 

“Miss Shin, if that isn’t you?” Bora immediately whirled around in her place when she heard another feminine voice demanding her attention and swiftly came to a halt when she saw the Queen herself walking in her direction.  At first, she felt herself freezing up in her place due to the drastic fear that clawed up (, Sehun’s mother know that she’s the daughter of the General-) but then the elderly woman smiled at her so warmly that she couldn’t help, but ease up a little.

Sehun must have told her.

She really hoped that he has.

“My Queen,” She addressed in a rather nervous manner because no matter what- this woman was the mother of the guy she wanted to have a romantic relationship with. It was honestly ridiculous; the way she was feeling. She has had many encounters with the elderly woman before and had not acted like an idiot that she was presenting herself to be at the moment. It was appalling; the difference one intimate action can make.

“You seem in a hurry.” The kind woman observed while beckoning her to walk closer which she did so very reluctantly.

“I hope I’m not bothering you.”

“Not at all!” Bora consoled at once in a panicked manner which for some reason made the other female laugh.

“Always so polite,” The Queen remarked before placing a hand on the small of her back to prompt her to walk alongside.

“Were you searching for someone?”

“Not in-”

“Perhaps, my son,” The elderly woman continued with a subtle smirk on her lips as she nonchalantly kept walking. Bore stopped dead in her tracks for a second as soon as she heard that and blanched at the realization that she was being teased. By the Queen nonetheless…

 “I-I…” The flustered girl started (mentally cursing the red blush that was creeping up her neck already), but cut her sentence short when she realized that the Queen wasn’t particularly wrong in her assumption; actually, she was spot on. After all, she was searching for Sehun; that recollection caused her to become more flustered than she originally was.

“I will take that as a yes.” Her companion claimed with an airy chuckle before giving her a fond pat on her back. It made Bora realize that the other female hasn’t taken her hand away from her back since they started walking.

I hope I’m not sweating.

“Sehun talked to me this morning,” The elderly woman began once again when she gave her no answer.

“I wanted to personally apologize to you, Bora. We didn’t know what kind of malicious rumors and schemes were being played out against your father.”

“It’s not your fault. Please, don’t embarrass me like this. There is no need for you to apologize, My Queen.”

“A royal decree was made. It doesn’t matter whether we knew about it or not, if someone managed to manipulate something of such authority then we were obviously careless.” She sincerely had no idea how to respond so she opted to stay silent again.

“Sehun must be in the Grand Hall right now. If you want to talk to him then you should hurry along.” The Queen directed after a short moment of silence with a smile lining her lips once again. She still had half the mind to refute the fact that she was looking for Sehun, but in the end, she just opted to bashfully nod her head in acknowledgment.

“I’ll go ahead-”

“My Queen,” Bora at once stopped speaking and took a step back to allow the Queen to pay attention to the male who has disturbed them. It was Mr. Lee – one of the royal court advisors if she wasn’t mistaken – and he wasn’t alone. No, with him came four other men; two of which were terrifyingly familiar.

Oh, Lord…

“Mr. Lee, it’s always a pleasure meeting you.” The elderly woman greeted good-naturedly (while being blissfully clueless of Bora’s rigid figure beside her) before directing her stare over his shoulder.

“Who might our guests be?”

“Let me introduce you to Kwon Daeho; the mighty King of Haeruk. With him, are his trusted advisors,” Mr. Lee introduced before taking a step aside as well to let the Queen meet the King of their neighboring Kingdom.

“We come here in hopes of attaining peace.” King Daeho stepped in before bowing a little in respect to the Queen. He might have said something else too which must have been followed by a whole conversation, but Bora was too numb to pay any attention to it.

Daeho?

But that man called him Minjoon back in the market.

Why was he disguised as a commoner in our Kingdom?

There was something clearly wrong. She didn’t doubt that fact one bit.

They are planning something.

I need to tell Sehun about it before they can sign whatever they are here for.

But how was she supposed to do that? Mr. Lee was clearly guiding the other King to the Grand Hall. She was sure that Sehun was already in there. She had no way to reach there before them.

There must be a way.

I need to know what he’s here for.

With that thought in her mind, Bora opted to reach a hand out to get the elderly woman’s attention, but she stopped dead in the middle of her actions when she felt leering eyes following her movements. She knew exactly who that was.

Stay calm…

Stay calm and don’t let them know that you recognized them.

“Miss Shin?” The Queen herself seemed to have noticed her desire for her attention because she turned her head slightly towards her.

“May I excuse myself, My Queen?” Her voice shook a little, but it was as best as she could manage under the pressure of the moment.

“Of course, you may. We can continue our talk some other time.” The elderly female answered almost in a non-committing manner, but she was able to make out the subtle concern on her face.

“I’ll be honored too,” Bora answered right away before giving everyone a swift bow. She walked away from them as normally as she could before dashing down the hall once she was sure that they were not paying her any attention.

…………
 

“Baekhyun!” Bora cried out as soon as she spotted the male leaning against the main entrance of the Grand Hall; which only meant that Sehun was already inside with other important people and there was no way for her to have a word him. Baekhyun was her second best option because he might be allowed to do things that she’s not allowed to. Plus, he knows the ways of the castle better than anyone else.

Speaking of him, the Lord seemed to have been immensely surprised by her sudden address. It should be the case because the poor guy jolted in his place as if someone has electrocuted him.

“Miss Shin,” He acknowledged her with a baffled fro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter