Ch #15

Beauty with a Sword.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER #15

DISTRACTION

 

“Curiosity is the lust of the mind…”
 

Sehun’s mentor has once stated out loud so randomly that it had baffled his 13 years old adolescent self and Baekhyun (who has always been a little too expressive about his feelings on things and was not trying to hide the fact that he thought Mr. Shin was eccentric). It was the middle of a very cold and cruel winter and Mr. Shin has decided to take them to the Northern part of the Kingdom to toughen them up a little; another reason which firmed Baekhyun’s belief regarding the mental health of the elder man.

It was not for the first time that he was telling them something out of his wise books, but mostly it was not so random – it had always been rooted from something that was associated with their surroundings or circumstances. His younger self had wondered about the thing that has prompted the sharing of knowledge this time, but he had refrained himself from asking. It might have been directed towards Baekhyun. After all, his best friend has always been way too curious about things and never knew how to stop.

“Baekhyun what did you ask now?” He had poked fun at his shorter friend who looked at him with an offended scowl before heatedly denying asking any question – at least not out loud in the open.

“Lust is carnal,” His mentor had continued appearing completely unfazed by their banter.

“And that makes it a trait of your instinct,” Mr. Shin had stood up from his place slowly and looked him straight in the eyes.

“Instinct is unguided, curiosity is too. You’ll never know when it starts taking over your consciousness. It’s your biggest friend when the time is right, but in wrong times it’s your biggest foe – learn to control it.” Mr. Shin wasn’t there to give him life lessons. He wasn’t there to teach him the ways to formulate strategies or how to run a Kingdom successfully, but somehow, Sehun still had always paid more attention to his words than his other teachers.

The young King wondered now whether his teacher would be disappointed in him or not since he has failed to control his curiosity this time. He has failed to acknowledge that it was consuming his better judgment until it was too late. He might have gotten Baekhyun to drop the matter that day, but Sehun himself has been unable to do it. For whatever reason, he can’t just seem to stop thinking about it which in turn agitated him. He was stressed because of the poisoning incident as of already and didn’t need more things to burden his profoundly occupied brain. There wasn’t any need to either and the fact that he didn’t like discussing the topic at all made the decision to just leave it really easy, but still, for some rationale, it stuck.

He hated being reminded of his incompetency to save one person that his mentor loved and cherished so much – the guilt that he wasn’t able to was immense. People might think that he was a brave, mighty King, but in reality, he failed to save someone he so badly wanted to give a good life to. Even if it was just to pay back his elder teacher who so bravely laid his life for the people of his Kingdom; to pay him back for shaping the young, foolish Prince into a capable King he was today.

He had finally asked Bora about it; not directly, but he had tried to know who her father was. She was just about to leave his room after cleaning when he has stopped her.

“I couldn’t have guessed that you can read too,” He had put it out as a playful jab after a long while of contemplating in silence while she was busy.

“I just like to break social conventions. You should have known that by now,” Unfortunately, she has played along with him really well instead of being caught off-guard.

“Oh- that you do.” He had replied unintelligently while pursing his lips.

“You must be quite invested in learning, huh? It’s not easy to achieve what you achieved in a town as small as Ceya.” He admits that he could have come up with a better start to their conversation, but what’s done was done; there was so use dwelling over it.

“It was because of my father.” She had replied to him with a chuckle after tacit deliberation.

“He was really adamant on teaching me. He believed that I need to be prepared for anything in the future; that I need to be independent. I can’t thank him enough for it now.” The fond look on her face had deterred him off his track for a bit before he found himself clearing his throat awkwardly. It was proving to be relatively easier. He had never expected her to bring her father up by her own self so early in the conversation, but he wasn’t complaining. It made him one step closer to what he aimed to inquire, but before he can do that Sooyoung was knocking on his door asking whether Bora was done or not. Of course, Bora was done and she didn’t hesitate to inform the head maid of that. Hence, they had left his room together even before he can open his mouth to inquire further. That was a great chance lost. He could have ignored the whole matter after that (at least he tried), but Baekhyun made sense and he has learned it from experience that his friend never makes idle observations.

 

“I was beginning to think that they failed to deliver my message to you.” Sehun smiled down at his mother when he heard the teasing complain and bowed down to take her hand in his.

“How are you doing mother?” He inquired after delivering a courteous kiss to her hand.

“Quite fine,” The Queen replied immediately while mentioning for him to take a seat in the wooden chair in front of her. His mother was sitting out in the balcony of her room (a shawl draped over her narrow, delicate shoulders) which bestowed upon her a beautiful view of the vast, lush, green castle grounds. The quite, cool and gentle wind that was blowing, along with the clear sky and chirping birds made the whole scene seem quite serene which unconsciously caused his rigid figure to relax a little. Maybe he needed this, a little stalling time in his mother’s presence. It was always so soothing- just to sit in her presence while saying and doing absolutely nothing.

“Any particular reason you called upon me for?” He questioned while taking in his surroundings carefully. She still uses the same room she used to have when their father was still alive. He and Seulbi used to spend a lot of time hanging around the grand room which now had a little touch of vintage to it. This place held so many memories, it almost made him nostalgic. Sehun remembers that this balcony used to be his favorite place when he was a little kid. Mr. Shin, then young, used to train his men under the scathing heat of the sun and they always used to pass this very part of the garden just before he was called in by his mother for the afternoon nap. As a kid, he found it really fascinating- the way the sharp blade of the sword cut through the air. Perhaps, his father noticed that, after all, it was the reason why he was handed over to the Army General to teach personal and up close.

“There, in fact, is a reason.” He was brought out of his musings when his mother finally spoke up again.

“I was afraid you will say that,” Sehun replied with a grim smile which obtained him a sigh from his mother.

“You have been stressed,” His mother stated after a beat.

“I’m not-”

“Sehun, it’s written all over your face.” She cut him off with a stern gaze.

“You’ve not been sleeping well. I saw you loitering around the castle halls just the previous night.” The King, indeed, didn’t have a response to that. Last night, he has been wandering the hallways, but it wasn’t exactly because of the stress. The sleep just wasn’t coming to him and he had a lot of things to keep his mind occupied so he has given up on it after a while of trying. Briefly, he has entertained the idea of visiting Bora again – only if to see her getting incredibly flustered, but had given up on that idea too since the last time he did that she didn’t look exactly pleased.

“I’ve been sleeping well. You need not worry about it,” He replied gently while giving his mother the best convincing look that he can muster. He wasn’t exactly lying, but you could never know what goes on in his mother’s head.

“And as far as my stress is concerned – mother, I’m the King of such a big Kingdom. This whole place won’t run itself if I won’t take the stress. Healthy stress isn’t that bad; sometimes it’s needed.”

“I know healthy stress is good,” The Queen agreed with a slight pout which she would refuse to ever own up to.

“But you’ve been more stressed than normal ever since they have caught the intruder. The following poisoning incident isn’t utterly pleasant either. I know unhealthy stress when I see it.” Sehun really shouldn’t have laughed at her petulant tone judging by the offended look on his mother’s face.

“I’m being serious over here, young man!” She chastised while leveling him with a glare; there was no behind it though.

“You should know that your glares don’t have the same effect on me as they used to have before, my Queen.” He further with a mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

“You and Seulbi are both so…” The young King really didn’t intend to not pay attention to her next words, but his whole focus suddenly shifted towards the small terrace that was peeking out from behind his mother’s back without his conscious control. It was in an entirely other wing and a floor below, but he can clearly make out the figure of the two people – one of them of course, being Bora.

It seemed like they were in Sooyoung’s room because he knew for a fact that Bora’s room was on the entirely different side. Sitting up a trifle straighter in his place, he slightly craned his neck to the side to get a better view. They seemed to be having a really lovely conversation if the blooming smiles on their faces were to suggest something. It was an amiable sight to see since it was the very first time he was ever seeing Bora smiling like that. She always appears to be so stiff and nervous in his presence; especially after the incident in her room. Even though he enjoys getting her all flustered, he won’t mind having her direct that charming smile his way.

“Uh-um!” Sehun instantly snapped his head towards his mother when he heard her clearing with a knowing smile dancing along her lips. There was no doubt that she has seen where he has been so adamantly staring at and from the looks of it she has no qualms regarding it.

Oh, Lord!

He groaned mentally when he felt a hot flush traveling up the apples of his cheeks and settling there with the intent of giving away his obvious embarrassment.

What in the devil is even wrong with me?

“It seems like you always find something you like whenever you come to this balcony, isn’t it?” His mother inquired mischievously while turning around to glance down at Bora and Sooyoung; who were still blissfully oblivious that they were being watched.

“You used to tone us all out the same way while watching General Shin training his mass when you were still a child.” She continued as the mischievous smile on her face slowly morphed into something softer.

“I can’t help, but assume that the young lady is someone really special.”

“What do you think of her?” What was the use of denying her claim? He wasn’t exactly sure what Bora was to him, but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter