Flat (or, good day)

Canvas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I wasn't planning to make an entry for the love/hate week, but this happened. I won't even pretend I didn't start writing this after Infinite's previews of them in suits today (171212, a day to remember) 'cause that's exactly what happened here.

This prolly doesn't make sense.

Also, the name is stupid but can't think of anything that would fit better this whole mess.

--

week... 9? love/hate

 

The clouds in Seoul are grey. The streets are desert and at the same time all blocked from cars honking in desperation. The forecast had been pretty direct from the week before- do not go out on Monday. It will not be a pretty day.

Sunggyu didn’t believe it. He didn’t believe it when his cat had peed on his carpet or when the automatic garage door had stopped working and he had lost the key to open it manually so he was forced to walk to the nearby bus stop to get to work. The day had been going downfall from the moment he opened his eyes, but still, he refused to believe it was doomed.

He was not your typical positive guy, not even near, but he needed to have a good day today.

Today, he’s presenting his two months of work power point presentation. He’s been working his off for it— spending nights at the company, even adding those useless fancy movements that he knows one of his bosses just loves. It’s perfect, it has the right information and the files he’d be passing around for them to see are just as much. His attire was on point too, despite the constant attempts from every driver out there to just splash some dirty water in those fancy grey pants. (Not today, he had whispered to himself triumphantly, a spare of pants on the inside of portfolio.)

He had forgotten his USB in the car.

That had not been the first sign of this being a bad day, and when Myungsoo walked up to him with a second USB he kept with himself because hyung, it’s important to have a backup he mentally slapped Murphy’s Law. This day was not meant to be bad, not at all.

But it was.

The presentation didn’t go as good as he would’ve liked it to. Myungsoo’s back up didn’t have the few changes he had made the night before, but it was fine. Despite himself explaining some things that weren’t showing in the slides, he managed to move around the point and relate them to what was being showed. One of his bosses had made a question that took him off-guard, but it was easily answered by another boss of his. It’s on page 9.

People staring at him never made him feel uneasy— it had a contrary effect, he felt more important, more secure of his words and the things that he was saying.

But there had always been a pair of eyes that made him feel uncomfortable to the bone.

“How do you expect us to follow your plan if you don’t have the approximate budget fixed?”

ing Nam Woohyun.

“I’ll be able to give you a budget once I get the permission to do my pilot test. It’d take—“

“How can we trust your pilot test?” The younger man scoffs, a finger flicking over Sunggyu’s papers which took him easily 30 hours to prepare. “We can’t throw our money around.”

“It’s not something expensive, just enough for a few samples to test in the street and if the responses are good we would be able to—“

“This is all hypothetically. Let’s say, hypothetically, this doesn’t work. What would you do? How would you return the used money?”

Sunggyu clenches his fist. “A little bit of faith wouldn’t kill you.”

“Excuse me?” Woohyun lifts an eyebrow, sitting better on his black fancy chair.

“I’ve been working my off for this.” Sunggyu snaps. “I’ve been working years here and never done anything wrong, my work is perfect and there’s no sign this could go wrong—“

“But what if it did?”

“What if it did?” Sunggyu barks. “It wouldn’t bother you, it would still be progress because like that we would know the costumers aren’t happy with that would be offered and we could take that as something good—“

Woohyun throws the bunch of files to the middle of the table. He pushes his chair back and closes his eyes. The room is dead quiet, Sunggyu’s heavy breathing the only thing heard.

“I want you to think about it more, it’s not convincing enough.”



“You should be thankful he didn’t fire you.” Howon says. “Speaking like that to him?” He munches on his sandwich, feet slightly touching Sunggyu’s under the table. The older had come to his office with two sandwiches and a lot to complain about a certain someone.

“Someone had to!” Sunggyu barks, a piece of lettuce flying from his mouth. “What kind of answer is that? ‘We can’t throw our money around’? Is he trying to pretend he’s not wasting money on a maid and multiple useless devices at his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter