wait

Canvas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

week 4. when you love someone, you...

 

Wait.

 

Sunggyu dreams of blue skies, green meadows and bright smiles that not only reach the eyes but force you to smile too, happiness passing on as easily as the wind. Dreams of locked hands, sweat on palms and the indifference for things that aren’t happening in the now moment. The things that don’t involve Woohyun or his outstanding looks. Things that aren’t related to his voice or the timbre of his laugh.

He feels the kisses on his skin, the hurried hands on his waist and the faint arousal slowing emerging from somewhere within him when they’re together, close like this. It feels so surreal every time, and he makes sure to fool himself (every time) into thinking this is really happening, that his hands are really cupping Woohyun’s cheeks and his mouth still knows the taste of the other’s lips.



 

Morning comes like a slap on the cheek, and he sighs heavily each time he wakes up and the side of his bed is empty. Nothing new.

He finds himself putting on whatever clothes and sipping on his hot instant coffee as he makes his way to work, the only reason why he’s even waking up early in the morning.

It’s not until the coffee has really kicked in that he realizes it’s 10 am and hasn’t really done anything yet.

In lunch he laughs at Sungyeol’s jokes but the side of his mouth doesn’t even reach the half of his face. He hears Sungjong bickering with Myungsoo about yet again another anime and he listens to them without really comprehending the main problem about what they’re saying.

Dongwoo asks him if he’s okay and Sunggyu reassures him that nothing’s wrong.

“When is he coming back?” the younger asks, stuffing a piece of bibimbap in his mouth.

“On Friday.” Sunggyu answers, his voice trembling at the sudden realization.

“You excited?” Dongwoo asks, a sly smile drawing on his face.

Excitement is what he’ll feel when he’s actually with Woohyun. For now, no, he’s not excited, he’s impatient. Impatient to finally see the end of those lonely nights that seemed infinite, nights where he had to hug himself to sleep or, on some other lucky but rare nights, fell asleep as soon as his body had fell on the empty bed.

He doesn’t want to believe it yet, that time has passed this fast and he’s finally seeing the younger. That almost two years have gone by without seeing Woohyun at all.

“It’ll pass by faster than you think.”

Somehow he doubts it.


 

The week goes by as slow as like watching grass grow, not only does time starts playing with him but his boss decides it’s a beautiful start of the week to pack Sunggyu up with endless loads of work.

That night he arrives home throwing himself on the bed, munching on a roll of bibimbap he stole from Dongwoo he never got to finish. He’s yet to undress from his suit, but he falls into dreamland a little bit too fast.

 

(“What would you do for me?”

“What kind of question is that?”

Woohyun grins, lips touching the tip of Sunggyu’s ear as he back hugs the older. “I’m just curious, you know I’d do anything for you.”

“Everything?” Sunggyu repeats, an intrigued tone hiding in his voice. “Well, I’d do quite as much.”

“You would?” Woohyun asks, somehow impressed. “Would you wait?”

For a moment he doesn’t know what the younger is talking about but then-

Military service.

Those two words pop up into Sunggyu’s mind in those five seconds. Sunggyu has been there already, choosing to service before getting into college, hence, how he got to meet Woohyun, a two years younger male who most of the times acted ten years younger than his real age.

Woohyun had said before that them meeting was destiny, that they were meant to be and every corny thing you could think of that involved soulmates. The older didn’t quite believe it then, but now, almost eight years into their relationship, he couldn’t quite believe anything else than that.

Sunggyu likes red, Woohyun likes blue.

Woohyun enjoys the beach on a hot day of July, Sunggyu likes snuggling on December with hot cocoa in his hand.

Woohyun is up, Sunggyu is down.

Sunggyu says jump, Woohyun asks ‘how much?’

Woohyun questions him ‘would you wait for me?’, Sunggyu answers ‘an entirely lifetime’.)


 

Tuesday arrives and Sunggyu barely remembers what he dreamed about. It was something about Woohyun, that he was sure of, but what exactly, he didn’t know. It was a bummer, having his imagination as the last resource to heal himself from the distance and time apart between them, and being exhausted enough to not remember anything at all.

He works his off like the day before, expecting it to go by faster but not letting the day do its thing, watching the clock hanged on the wall every five minutes. It’s no fare that his mind starts playing on him too, making him think about Woohyun while he should be focusing on his work and finish things faster.

5:24 pm. Woohyun’s browned up lips after eating strawberries covered in chocolate.

Work.

5:30 pm. Woohyun’s stupid need to drag Sunggyu to eat ramyeon at night, watching old episodes of Shin Chan on his laptop.

Work.

5:48 pm. Woohyun’s tears, their first fight palpitating on their skin, both males sitting against the door on opposite sides.

Work.

6:13 pm. Woohyun’s flexed muscles, lips on him, hands on the crook of his knees, tilting his legs to have a better angle and reach-

“Sunggyu?” Howon shakes the older’s shoulder and Sunggyu finally snaps out of it, realizing he’s been working on the same document for the past hour. The narration had been brought to a halt as he stopped typing coherent words and instead repeated Woohyun… Woohyun.. Woohyun. Woohyun.

“Come” Howon speaks up again, fidgeting on his shoulder and a playful smile on his face “You need a break.”

The break consisted on a night out with the others. Sungyeol talking about how numbers are suddenly so stupid, Dongwoo laughing his off when Sungjong dissed Sungyeol saying it was a miracle he even made it past high school. Myungsoo is in charge to fill everyone’s plastic cups with more alcohol until the conversation dies down.

“I’m happy.” Myungsoo exclaims, tainted cheeks and a silly smile making his eyes look like crescent moons. “Woohyun-hyung is finally coming back.”

Howon talks about the time he sprained his ankle and Woohyun moved mountains to get him into the hospital as soon as possible. (‘He was so stupid, didn’t want to wait for the elevator and carried me 5 floors down to the lobby.’) Dongwoo mentions the time he lost his wallet and Woohyun payed for his food an entire month. Myungsoo recalls the time he was on finals and Woohyun had been there to nag at him for not studying more before, and also there to bring him coffee in the library, checking on him every other hour. Sungjong disses Woohyun, mentioning his 24th birthday when Woohyun wanted to surprise him with a cake that ended up falling onto the ground as Woohyun ran towards him. Sungyeol smiles about the time they made the best Halloween party their college could ever have, lasting two entire days.

Sunggyu remembers that weekend. He hadn’t meet the younger by then, but everyone knew his name and the amazing party he was going to host along with his crazy partner in crime, Lee Sungyeol.

He goes to sleep that night with dry tears on the side of his cheeks.

 

(“Hey” Woohyun starts, startling Sunggyu. He’s wearing a cheap vampire costume. There’s a plastic cup on his hand and a drunk smile on his face. “has anyone told you what’s wrong with you today?”

Sunggyu is dressed as a rock star, a real frustrated dream of his. He didn’t spend much time on his attire but he thinks it was pretty good, the leather jacket brand new from a second hand store. He had looked down at himself with a frown on his face. “No.”

Woohyun grins. “Good, because there’s not a damn thing.”)

Sunggyu wakes up late on Wednesday with a hangover and throbbing head s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter