nightmare

Canvas
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

week 2. nightmare

 

“You don’t get it”

.

.

.

“No, let me speak-”

.

.

.

“ off.”

 

 

Sunggyu throws the phone away into the grass where it lands and breaks at the contact. He couldn’t care any less about it.

It’s suffocating, it’s overwhelming and overall it’s just what he doesn’t need right now.

It’s raining hard, he’s soaking under the rain.

The weather hides his tears.

He turns around and walks towards his pickup. He yanks the door open and sits in front of the wheel. The anger boils on his inside until he’s groaning and punching the wheel in pure rage. He’s so immersed in his own thoughts he doesn’t really acknowledge the body sitting at the end of the attached seats.

It’s not until he has calmed down and is softly resting his head over the wheel that Woohyun talks.

It’s soft, merely in a whisper.

“Are you okay?”

Both know the answer to that question but Sunggyu knows the younger means no bad by asking. He never does. The younger is sitting over his side, half of his head hiding behind his knees while his hands hug the rest of his legs.

Sunggyu’s eyes move to the car board and notices he’s full tank, so he turns the engine on.

“Where are we going?”

Sunggyu stares at Woohyun for a few seconds before replying anywhere .

The road to anywhere starts in the high way. It’s quiet and Woohyun mainly focuses on staring at the tear drops falling onto the window. Sunggyu sneaks some peeks at the younger whose legs are still sitting over the seat covering his torso.

“C’mere” he says suddenly, and Woohyun startles at the sound of his raspy voice, but he obeys nevertheless. He crawls to the other side where Sunggyu is sitting and rests his body on the inside of Sunggyu’s embrace.

He’s holding the younger with one hand and the other over the wheel.

Woohyun smiles and softly kisses Sunggyu’s arm.

A few minutes pass by and Woohyun stretches his hand out, turning on the radio.

There’s a girl group playing. Sunggyu doesn’t really know which one, he’s never been a fan of any in particular. Still, he knows the song, and it’s only because Woohyun knows it and has been singing it too much for his liking. The older enjoys the next few minutes listening the song with Woohyun’s voice on top.

When the song is over, Woohyun turns off the radio in an attempt to linger the song a bit more. Sunggyu hums the melody and both smile.

“You like it?”

“Only when you sing it.”

Woohyun smiles.

Before the younger could press on the radio again, a sound emerges from his stomach.

“Someone’s hungry” Sunggyu chuckles.

“And I want to pee too.”

The older laughs and changes their destination to a diner instead of just anywhere. He finds one around fifteen minutes later, and Woohyun doesn’t wait a single second before running out and into the restaurant towards the bathrooms when Sunggyu parks the car.

It’s still raining but not as hard as before. The heavy drops have stopped and for now there’s only a faint mist lightly wetting his jacket. It’s chilly.

He walks inside the diner and finds them a boot against the windows where they could see the cars passing by outside. He knows Woohyun would like it.

A waiter approaches Sunggyu. With her long red hair and flashy lipstick she’s very much ready to throw a flirt towards Sunggyu, but the latter doesn’t even notice when she recites the specials. His eyes stay on the menu rather than her blouse which has the first buttons loose.

“We’ll have two hamburgers, thanks.” Sunggyu states and gives the menu away with a cordial smile.

“‘We’?” she asks with a smile.

“Yeah, I came here with my boyfriend.”

The smile dies immediately and she writes down the orders as she walks away. Sunggyu doesn’t notice that he upset her and even if he did, he wouldn’t have cared.

The restaurant is rather quiet and fairly empty. Aside from Sunggyu, there’s another old couple sitting inside. Sunggyu eyes them with a smile, imagining being in their place. With Woohyun.

He hears a door opening and his eyes move to the emerging figure.

Speaking of the devil.

Woohyun is drying his hands on the back of his jeans and when he sits down, he’s about to raise his hand to ask for the waitress. Sunggyu cuts off the gesture and intertwined their hands.

“I already order.”

“You did?”

“Yeah.”

Woohyun smirks. “What am I eating?”

“Me."

It’s not normal for Sunggyu to be this attentive or affectionate, but Woohyun is nowhere near complaining about it.

Woohyun laughs. “What are you eating, then?”

“A burger.”

Woohyun laughs some more and changes his attention to the outside, just like Sunggyu knew it’d happen. They’re lazily playing with each other’s hands as Woohyun stares at the road and Sunggyu stares at him.

“Is this a road trip?” Woohyun questions. “We haven’t been in a road trip in a while. I liked it.”

“It can be a road trip if you want to.”

The younger chuckles lightly. “A road trip it is, then. Do you remember when we went to the countryside?”

Sunggyu frowns. “Don’t remind me of then.”

“Why not?” Woohyun asks with a playful smile. “We had so much fun in that barn.” he adds with an alluring tone.

“It wasn’t that much of fun to wake up with hay between my cheeks.”

Woohyun laughs out loud.

“But there were daisies there too.” Woohyun mentions as he daydreams, remembering the day. “I liked the daisies. I want to give you some.”

Sunggyu smiles tenderly. “No rush.”

Woohyun looks back at Sunggyu, and gifts him one of his killer smiles that reached his eyes which formed in crescent moons. One of those that Sunggyu loves the most and fell in love with. One that reminds him to the time they were nothing but happy.

They look at the road at the same time.

“Ugh, it's really cold here" Woohyun complains, caressing his arm. Sunggyu takes off his jacket and puts it on Woohyun before the younger can complain more.

“But-”

“It’s okay.” the older whispers, “I’m not cold” he reassures kissing the top of his head.

Sunggyu sits down and reaches for Woohyun’s hands but the younger moves them away, looking down towards his lap instead.

“What is it?” the older asks, concerned.

“They’re staring..” Woohyun whispers not daring to look up.

Sunggyu looks around and spots the old couple staring at them. They’re obviously upset. Confused. Judging them.

And Sunggyu is just angered to the bone.

He feels Woohyun reaching for his arm as he stands up, but it’s a worthless attempt to stop him as he’s already before the couple.

“You gotta ing problem with us?” Sunggyu asks. The woman is frightened to say the least and she looks back at her husband, but he’s scared too and currently looking for the courage to raise up. "Can't a couple have some peace? off" Sunggyu spits on their food and turns around, yanking Woohyun by the arm and storming out the diner towards their car. "Get on the car" Sunggyu groans, and Woohyun follows the command.

Sunggyu is about to get on his car when he gets pulled by the shirt and lands his on the asphalt. The used to be scared man is now kicking at Sunggyu's ribs, obviously pissed.

Sunggyu gets up in a chance where the man catches his breath and aims a punch toward his face. It lands on the cheek, but the man responds quickly and hits Sunggyu right on his left eye. he pushes Sunggyu to the ground again, and the woman's screams are suddenly heard.

"ing weirdo" the man tries to spit on Sunggyu but it lands on the ground.

They let Sunggyu go (or the woman forces her husband to stop) and he gets on the car, turning it on with his trembling hands and driving onto the highway yet again.

Woohyun is inside, crying.

Sunggyu doesn't know what to say, his sight is blurry by the punch and he feels like throwing up, even though he hasn't eaten anything yet. He parks the car on the side of the road after a few minutes of driving and turns around to Woohyun, who stopped crying but is covering his face with both hands.

"I'm okay" he lies, "come here" he wraps Woohyun inside his arm, on the side where it doesn't feel throbbing in pain by the kick,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter