Solitary

Dark Flames
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
CHAPTER 6

Solitary

(sol-i-ter-ee)

adjective

characterized by solitude, as a place; unfrequented, secluded, or lonely.

 

Min wasn’t paying attention when all the students filled out of the class.  She slowly blinked opened her eyes, directing her intense gaze to the floor.

 

“Ms Min!”

 

Min jumped at the sound of her teacher’s firm voice.

 

“I can understand that you sleep in my class, but you don’t even seem to have realized that class has ended!” Ms Hye was packing her papers into a stack, pushing a strand of her hair behind her ear.

 

Min blinked her eyes a couple of times, before mumbling a silent “oh..” She quickly scooped up her bag on the ground before rushing hurriedly out of the class. One would’ve mistaken Min for being embarrassed, but Ms Hye was left confused by her actions.

 

Ms Hye’s head was cocked to the side as she craned her neck to see where Min was going.

 

“Did she... hear everything?”

 

The worry and distress began to settle in Ms Hye. She slowly reached her hands into her pocket and fumbled for her phone. Dialling the number that she knew by heart, she carefully placed her phone next to ears with trembling hands. Her voice croaked with growing anxiety.

 

“Dong Wook ah...”

 

 

Min’s fists were clenched by her sides as she swerved past the relentless crowds of students along the hallway. The five words would not get out of her head, continuously repeating without a pause, and Min was visibly perturbed by the incessant noise.

 

Oh my god, can it shut up already?

 

She was storming down the hallways, paired with a glum expression and an intimidating aura she was emitting. Everybody steered clear of her path, not wanting to be a victim of a freak’s wrath.

 

As usual, Min ignored the curious and judgemental glances that were being thrown at her. She finally looked up when she reached the quieter wing of the school, where the dorms were located.

 

So much for going to school today, my mood’s already ruined.

 

Seoul Elite’s school was a vast contrast from the blaring white buildings that stood outside her school. In fact, it was designed to resemble a victorian castle, with the walls that were built with bricks and stones. Min found comfort in this school, as she disliked the previous schools that she went to, simply because it was too white. It reminded her of a hospital room,with no other colours other than the plain boring white. Min’s old dorm room often left her feeling restless and trapped. She felt like she was in a laboratory, waiting for the doctors to perform an experiment on her. Sometimes, she would have nightmares about it.

 

It wasn’t like living in Seoul Elite’s dorms prevented her nightmares, it actually intensified them. But to be fair, there wasn’t a place she could sleep peacefully. But at least she felt more sheltered and secure here.

 

The chandeliers emitted a warm glow from above as she traced her fingers along the handles of the stairs. Stairs creaking, she cautiously put her foot down, almost as if she was afraid that she would break the fragile steps with her weight. Descending to the first level of the school, she swung her hands and strolled towards the back entrance. Min turned the knob to open the door, only to find the warm rays of sun greeting her. For once, she didn’t dislike it and basked in its warmth instead.

 

Seoul Elites was previously a Christian boarding school that was left untouched during the Dorsos War. Thus, explaining the cottage-sized chapel outside the school. The government didn’t bear to demolish the ancient structure that wasn’t in ruins, but in perfect condition instead. Furthermore, at that point of time there wasn’t enough funds to construct more buildings. Hence, they left the school as it is, but officially establishing it as a high school. However, nobody bothered to actually visit the chapel, because nobody believed in religions anymore. Therefore, the chapel was rather abandoned, a perfect hideout for Min who enjoyed the solitariness. The gravel path leading to the foyer of the chapel was surrounded by blooming flowers that the school’s gardener meticulously took care of, with lush green grass that were freshly mowed.

 

Min knew about this hidden little gem the day she transferred. She was lugging two suitcases alongside Dong Wook, both struggling because god knows what Min had packed. The both of them had gotten lost, unable to locate her dorm room and thus ending up at the back door. It was raining heavily outside, and the huge thunderstorm brewing outside complemented the melancholic mood the pair emitted.

 

After trying to find the rooms for a couple of hours, the delusion settled in and Min had confidently opened the back doors whilst yelling, “This must be it!” Her hands occupied, she slammed her frame against the doors to open it. The sight that greeted her left her jaws agape as she stumbled due to the momentum of her weight.

 

“Woah” Min bent her knees to lower the suitcases on the grass. “Dong Wook you should see this!”

 

Dong Wook was still inside, leaning against the wall and trying to catch his breath because of the several f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter