Exordium

Dark Flames
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CHAPTER 2

Exordium

(ɛkˈsɔːdɪəm)

n, pl -diums or -dia (-dɪə)

(Rhetoric) an introductory part or beginning, esp of an oration or discourse

 

Ronins were just a myth. However, the government decided that humanity should learn about them, as after all, they did provide us a safe haven, Exordium, from those mythical creatures. It was safe to walk on the streets again, and it was considered a privilege before the Dorsos war. The meaning of Exordium is known as an introductory part, or a new beginning, and in this case, a new start of a safe society. For the past 40 years before I was born, the world was in complete chaos as humans fought against those mythical creatures in the Dorsos War.

Over half a million of the population died, and scientists were furiously finding ways to cure them, to make our soldiers stronger, and then the Ronins happened. Many people saw, witnessed them taking down these mythical creatures in the midst of dawn. There were claims that they saw about a hundred of Ronins going against those creatures, whereas others opposed to this claim by refuting that there were sixteen of them instead – till this day, nobody is sure except the Ronins and their creators themselves.

 

One thing that everyone is sure of, is that till this day, nobody has ever seen the Ronins ever since the Dorsos war.

 

 

All she heard was the swaying of the trees in the wind. The smell of wet grass and rain. It all felt like home to her, as she laid on the grass with her arms spread out. Her eyes fluttered open as she gazed at the sky, taking a deep breath.

 

It wasn’t a sunny day with blue skies, it was a rainy day with gloomy clouds. If she were to choose, she would pick the latter. The sun was too bright and piercing, she didn’t really like it.

 

Min was in the clearing of the forest. She knows she shouldn’t be out here, it is after all, named the Forbidden Forest. The forest was not within the guarded and safe grounds of Exordium. It is where lurks all those creatures which could tear one’s head in a second. But that didn’t scare Min. If anything, she felt at ease. It was better than being surrounded by all those people in Exordium.

 

She has done it a couple of times now, to take a breather and clear her thoughts. It was calming, relaxing and some alone time for her. Usually, she spends around an hour by herself here.

 

But today, she wasn’t alone.

 

 

"Don't you think I would’ve at least recognized her? Sehun, you didn't know how it felt like when our bond broke!" Chanyeol shot upright from the couch, turning his head towards Sehun. "It felt like my body was combusting in her dark flames. For the first time, I felt like I was being burnt alive" he spat.

 

Sehun knew that this would happen if he brought up this topic, which was considered as a taboo amongst themselves. He definitely expected an outburst from Chanyeol, and was preparing to apologise to him before they all felt a wave of shivers passing through their body. Alarmed, they looked at each other seriously before the door burst open, revealing a disheveled Kris and Tao, who both looked like they ran a thousand miles. They were panting and beads of sweat clouded their forehead, a sight that was considered rare.

 

"Cerberus crossed the wards!" Kris bellowed as Tao rushed around the room collecting their equipment. The tension in the room dissipated as everyone wasted no time and rushed out.

 

 

It was too silent. There were no birds chirping and the wind abruptly stopped. Min would've loved the silence, if not for the chills that went down her spine and the goose bumps forming on her arms.

 

Something was wrong.

 

 

"Who the hell was supposed to guard the forest?” Joonmyeon shouted as they zoomed through the sky.

 

"I was on my way to do so, before that happened and I was forced to receive a lecture from you!" Sehun groaned in an annoyance.

 

"That wouldn’t have happened if you kept your mouth shut!" Joonmyeon retorted.

 

"That's not the point now! How did Cerberus even cross the wards? This is unusual, because they're not supposed to be on this side of Exordium."

"Luhan's right, they only come out when they are told to do so, which is highly unlikely!" Tao flew beside Luhan, nodding his head on agreement.

 

Sehun considered their words for a moment, and a nagging thought lingered at the back of his head.

 

 

Min clenched her first, gripping on the grass tightly as she pulled herself in an upright position. Still sitting down, she moved her hand to her Ipad and placed it close to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter