Chapter 6

As Sweet As It Gets

 

He was almost done when he heard a knock on the door. He looked up to see his partner and ex standing with a gym bag slung on his shoulder.

Another sigh left his lips as he realised he'd get home later than he had planned. 

“What do you want now Hyunwoo?” He said in a bored yet tired voice.

“ Nothing really, just dropped by to say hi” Hyunwoo replied in his deep voice as he moved inside to room to sit on the chair opposite Kihyun.

“Um hmm. That's not possible, tell me why your really here Hyunwoo.” Kihyun said looking at him directly on the eye.

“Okay… okay… so I heard you hired a new chef and he's doing extremely well, I was just curious.” 

“ Yes I did, he started working here last Monday, in fact he was waiting outside when we had our last argument.” Kihyun said feeling slightly irritated at the reminder of that conversation.

“ Oh….” Hyunwoo said, “ I don't think I remember seeing him, probably cuz I was distracted.”

“Hmm”

“I'm still not giving up my shares of the business…”

“Why Hyunwoo?!” Kihyun said feeling irritated all over again “it's not like you take an interest in the restaurants affairs anyway.”

“And why do you think that is?”

“Don't make excuses. Plus it's not like you need the money, you run multinational company!”

“I divorced you Kihyun, Not the restaurant. If you gave me some space to look into matters I would very much love to get involved.”

“But the restaurant is mine, why won't you let me have it?!”

“Because Kihyun, it's not just yours, it's mine too, and believe it or not we have been good business partners. We might not have made a good couple but this we can do well together.”

“Why do you keep pushing it. I don't want you as a partner anymore!” 

“Why don't you admit it that having me around reminds you how you fail at having a relationship and the only way you console yourself is by saying you're good at your job.” Hyunwoo said letting go of his anger “having me around makes you feel like you can't handle things alone, which is why you're pushing me away…”

Kihyun was left stunned and silenced.

Hyunwoo then got up feeling drained. He wasn't much of a talker, but when he spoke he didn't hold back.

“ I have other dreams too, I didn't want to take over my family business and live life the way everyone expected me to… knowing I'm a part of this wonderful place gives me that little joy to keep doing what is expected of me by my family. We used to be friend before anything else Kihyun, I miss that.” He said before walking out of the room leaving a confused and overwhelmed Kihyun inside.

It was later that day when Kihyun walked back to his apartment that he realised, this was one of the most honest conversation they had had in the many years they had known each other.