Chapter 3

As Sweet As It Gets

 

Minhyuk walked into his home after struggling to open the door with the supplies under his arm.

He spotted his roommate sitting in the front room with his face buried in another book.

“You just couldn't leave the book alone for a few minutes to help a struggling friend open the door?!” Minhyuk said in an irritated voice…. 

“Hmm…” the man sitting with the book replied.

“Fine then…” Minhyuk said, feeling more irritated. “I guess I'll just make dinner for one.” He said.

“Ummhmm…” the man said, flipping over a page, uninterested in what Minhyuk had to say.

“Hoseok!” Minhyuk screamed in his whiniest tone.

Hoseok finally looked up from his book to peer at Minhyuk from above his reading glasses. 

“Welcome back home” he said smiling at his best friend.

“Hi!” Minhyuk said, dumping the food on the open kitchen counter feeling his irritation fade now that he had his friends attention.

“I'm making ramyeon and truffle for dinner” he said and saw the smile bloom on Hoseok's face. 

He started laying out his ingredients on the counter prepping for dinner as Hoseok moved towards the chair kept next to the counter.

“So how was your first week as a pastry chef?” He said raising his eyebrows. 

Hoseok had gone to his parents home for the week and had just returned that same day, thus the fancy dinner. 

“It was amazing. I can't be more happy about it. The people there are also wonderful!” He said beating the egg whites till they were fluffy. 

“Hoseok I love it!” He said in a song song way feeling all warm inside, “ I think I've found my place.” 

“Haha, I'm glad to hear.” Hoseok said. 

“We should really thank that friend of yours who recommended the place.” Minhyuk said, stirring the batter together. He didn't realize he had a bit of flour on his nose and Hoseok flicked at it before moving towards the fridge. 

“Yes, you should thank him, why don't you come down to the gym and say hello?” Hoseok said grabbing a bottle of water and moving back to the counter.

“You know how shy I am about all this.. I can't do it.”

“Really?! Shy, you? Those words don't really go together”

“Okay okay…. I'll come over, I'll bring some muffins along as well” 

“Good.” Hoseok said smiling at his best friend.

They had known each other for almost their whole life, being distant cousins they had met for the first time as kids and had clicked together instantly. 

Through the many years they had been each other's shoulder to cry on and the person they shared their joys with. Hoseok was the first person Minhyuk had told about him being gay, Minhyuk was the only one who made Hoseok realise he didn't really want to do medical degree. They even kept in touch throughout the time Minhyuk was in Paris for a scholarship to a cooking school, discussing what they did daily. 

So it was only natural that once Minhyuk quit his job at a high end restaurant in a big city that he moved in with Hoseok to rethink what he wanted to do.

Hoseok lived in a small town known for its hospitality and friendly residents, and he ran the local gym and lead a quiet life as a bachelor. His parents lived a few towns away and once every three months he would go over to visit them like a good son.

His love life was pretty much non existent after he broke up with his girlfriend a few months back. It was getting to be too much work on his part and it just wasn't working out anymore, not to mention she demanded too much of his time and attention.

He was happy the way he was living now, and having Minhyuk around made it better. Minhyuk was like his ball of sunshine and energy and he was glad to have his best friend close and happy again.