Chapter 5

As Sweet As It Gets

 

Kihyun waited in his office, it was a Wednesday afternoon, he should be home resting, but he still found himself sitting in the restaurant's office working on the new menus and rates. 

(The weekends we're days they had most customers, so Wednesday was given as a holiday instead.)

He was glad he had hired Minhyuk, the guy knew what he was doing and the desserts they had been serving the past few weeks were exquisite. The guy had a knack for taking something traditional and creating something completely different out of it. 

Hiring him had been a good move because Jooheon could now concentrate on the food and he was good at it. They didn't have too many customers at a time and 2 chefs were enough to handle the cooking, however, he was worrying about service. 

Hyungwon never complained, but he saw how overworked he was getting as the customers had increased and business time had become longer. 

They had managed in the past week but it would be very stressful in the long run.

Kihyun ran a hand through his hair, sighing. He didn't need to be asked, he observed everything that was going on and he knew what problems would arise before they did. It was his duty to see to it that the business ran smoothly. And yes it was difficult but he loved it. The restaurant was everything he had dreamt of and wished for.

They said he was married to his work, it was the same reason his past relationships hadn't worked out, he was to dedicated to his own goals, to ever give enough in a relationship. But he was happy the way he was.

Looking at his phone he decided to make a call to a friend. He dialed the no.

“Hey! It's been a while!” Gunhee answered.

“Hi! Is your cousin still looking for a job?” Kihyun asked, feeling weighed down.

“Yeah, you lookin’ to hire?” Gunhee asked in a skeptical tone.

“Yes…… how is he doing?” Kihyun asked, cringing at how he approached the sensitive topic.

“Much better….. he just got back from rehab and looks like he has changed a lot.”

“Oh…”

“So….. when should I send him over?” Gunhee asked.

“Tomorrow.” Kihyun said not wasting any time. “Ask him to be here at 9, we start working at 10, I'd like to talk to him a bit before.”

“Okay…. Um just know that he's a bit sensitive.”

“Okay… thanks.”

A few more minutes of catching up and Kihyun finally hung up. He didn't know how to feel about what had just happened.

Gunhee was an old friend of Kihyun’s. He worked at the animal shelter nearby.

His younger cousin had moved in with him a few years ago back when the restaurant had still not started. For some reason the kid had gotten involved with drug dealers and thugs. He had started using himself. 

Three years into staying with Gunhee, the boy had gone off to rehab and left a devastated Gunhee behind. 

Gunhee was a sweet and warm person, he might come off as someone who loved getting into fights and roughing it up, but in reality he was a big softie and took care of those he was close to. He'd never hurt anyone and seeing his cousin in such a state had really shattered him. He had blamed himself for quite some time, feeling bad about how he couldn't help or do anything about it.

It was tough time for him and Kihyun had looked out for his friend then. That's why Kihyun didn't have the highest opinion for the boy who was supposed to become their new server and employee the next day.

Letting out another sigh, Kihyun moved back to signing whatever was left before he had to lock up and could finally go home and relax. The next week was going to be hectic.