First Day

The Kims
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I hurriedly park my Mercedes in the hospital's underground parking lot since i'm already late for my first day of internship. Today, we're going to be introduced to some of the highest people running the Kimshin General Hospital.

I'm already inside the elevator when i hear someone shout. I turn and see a young man desperately running towards me.

"Hold that door for me!"

I hastily press the open button to keep the elevator door from closing. The young man skids to a halt, hitting himself against the elevator wall.

"Safe!" The young man exclaims.

I blink and study the guy who's hunched over while panting in front of me. I notice that the young man is actually good-looking with his broad shoulders.

"Thanks, man." The broad shouldered guy turns to face me and beams. "If you didn't hold the door for me, i'd be forced to wait for the next elevator to come down and ended up being late for my first day."

"Are you perhaps an intern too?" I ask, wide-eyed.

"You too?" The man smiles even wider. "Whoa! What a coincidence. I'm Kim Seokjin by the way but you can call me Jin."

Jin holds out his hand and i take it, shaking it. "Jinwoo, Kim Jinwoo."

"Jinwoo?" Jin's eyebrows furrow. "I think i already heard that name before."

Just then, we hear the elevator door chime. We turn when the door slides open to reveal a sophisticated young woman. She has her shades on paired with an expensive purse tucked at her side. We blink and stare at her when she enters the elevator without a word. She's quite tall and i think that's one of the reasons why she looks intimidating.

"Whoa!" I hear Jin exclaim quietly beside me. "I didn't know she's going to be here."

I scowl and look at my new friend. "Why? Who is she?"

Jin looks back at me, gaping. "What? You don't know her? Seriously?"

"Would i ask if i know?" I raise an eyebrow.

"She's Lee Sungkyoung." Jin whispers. "The only daughter of the man who's going to inherit Taesan."

I scowl.

"She's the granddaughter of the Chairman of Taesan, i'm telling you!" Jin explains even more. "Her dad being the eldest of his brothers is the heir to the company."

I look at the girl standing in front us. I heard all about them from Uncle Hyunsung. They're supposed to be our company's rival but what is she doing here at our hospital?

We finally reach our floor and are surprised to see that Lee Sungkyoung is also getting off to the same floor as us. Jin and i exchange confused looks before heading to the male staff room to change into our lab coats.

We are now inside the conference hall where the other interns like us are gathered. When uncle Hyunsung and the other department heads enter the hall, all of us get to our feet and greet them.

"Good morning, please have a seat."

We all take our seats. The man who is currently speaking right now is the assistant director of our hospital, Kim Jinu.

"Kimshin General Hospital welcomes you all." Doctor Jinu smiles. "Now, i know that some of you here may have come from some distinguished families and schools but here in this hospital, we do not discrimate interns based on their backgrounds. All we want from you all are results."

The interns begin to murmur excitedly. Jin taps my shoulder and grins goofily, giving me a thumb's up. I smile back.

"Now, inside this box are the names of the different departments where you're going to be assigned for a couple of weeks and after that, you're going to be transferred to yet another department. We're going to do this routine until you finish your two years of internship here." The assistant director says. "Remember, we will not hesitate of kicking you out of this Hospital if we find you incompetent."

We all swallow the lumps forming inside our throats. We're feeling the pressure now.

"There will be six interns per department." Dr Jinu adds. "So good luck and have a fruitful stay here at Kimshin General Hospital."

The interns start to form a line and begin to pick a piece of paper inside the large box. It's my turn now and i see uncle Hyunsung nodding and smiling towards me. I smile before walking down from the flatform.

"Jinwoo-ah!"

I turn and see Jin running towards me. He then stops in front of me and pants really hard. He shows me his piece of paper with a word 'EMERGENCY' written on it.

"This is bad!" Jin whines. "Really bad! I heard that this department is the busiest and has the most complicated and hardest work among the departments here. Ugh! I'm ruined!"

I shake my head and smile. I open my own folded paper and turn to face my new friend.

"Don't worry, you're not going there alone." I show the paper i'm currently holding. "It just so happens that i'm also assigned under the same Department as you."

Jin immediately reaches out to hug me. "Chingu-ah!"

"Yah!" I push him away. "Everyone's staring and one more thing. Call me hyung. I'm still a year older than you."

Jin's jaw drops. "Really? How did you know?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter