Spring 3/3

A Year's Worth

 

Spring 3/3

 


 

Youngjae’s sobbing could not stop, even when he was thrown into an isolated room, with a promise of his execution tomorrow. He could not even care – if he died, he could see Junhong again, in Asphodel.

He just hoped that Lord Yongguk would avenge the nymph.

He did not look up when he heard the door open, hours after he had first been thrown in. It was now early morning, and he had no doubt that the news had spread through the village like wildfire, even so late at night. The last living nymph, murdered by the village leader’s son. Sanghyun was likely to be praised by the villagers, and a festival would be planned in his honour as well.

“Youngjae,” he heard a soft voice call. He froze as soon as he recognised it.

He hiccupped, scrambling further away from the door. He did not want to see Daehyun now, especially since the other man was probably the one who tipped Sanghyun off. The human was shuddering, curling up as he heard the approach, bare feet . The footsteps stopped halfway across the room.

“Your execution is scheduled for noon today,” Daehyun said quietly.

Youngjae wondered what Daehyun thought, when he saw him. Did he pity him? Or did he view him as a monster, like his brother did, for befriending a forest nymph?

Youngjae pulled his knees up protectively, looking up defiantly at the other man. He had no choice – he could listen to Daehyun brag that he was right, but he would not agree. Daehyun was not the man he befriended months ago, or the boy he fell in love with when he was a child.

The man stared at him, dark eyes filled with pity. Youngjae glared at him, but his mouth opened when Daehyun knelt down, meeting him at eye level.

“I will let you free,” he whispered, looking back at the door as if afraid someone could hear him. “I do not believe that killing anyone is right, let alone someone whom you consider your best friend.”

Youngjae sniffled and wiped his eyes.

“I am fine, Daehyun,” he replied stiffly, not wanting to accept the other’s words. He could not forgive Daehyun for what he did. “I do not want to live with a village like yours.”

“I will change them,” the man said passionately. “When my father steps down, I will overtake Sanghyun.”

“Even if the people change, there are no more nymphs,” Youngjae said, his voice thick with emotion. He was trying his hardest not to break. “You helped your brother kill him.”

Daehyun’s frown deepened, “I did not break my promise, Youngjae. I never told Sanghyun where you were; he found out himself, when he was night-hunting.” The man moved closer, wishing he could comfort Youngjae somehow. “I am sorry, for what I said, that time on the beach. I was ignorant, and blindly believed what my father taught me.” He reached his hand out but stopped before touching the other boy. It was a simple offer, but he did not wish to pressure him.

“Let us leave, together,” he said quietly. “We can move to another village or live in the forests – I don’t care where.”

“You should leave,” Youngjae murmured, not taking the other’s hand. He had not forgiven the other man yet. There was no one in the world he could trust right now. “Lord Yongguk will undoubtedly avenge his lover, and the village will be a pile of ashes by the time he is finished.”

“Will he come before noon?” Daehyun asked sceptically but quietened when Youngjae glared at him. He pulled his hand back, understanding than the other man did not want to leave.

“I will wait for him,” Youngjae stated, crossing his arms. He looked at Daehyun coldly, “You are free to leave alone, if you wish.”

The other man stared at him, and Youngjae wondered if he was thinking about leaving. After a few moments, Daehyun silently sat next to him, his back hitting the wall behind them.

“You have five hours,” Daehyun said quietly, and looked at the boy beside him. Youngjae was still curled up, and he rested his head on his knees. He did not feel like speaking, at all, but it seemed like Daehyun did not realise this.

“You must love him a lot,” the man whispered, seeing how determined the younger was to stay.

“...He was there for me when you weren’t,” Youngjae mumbled, not looking at the other man anymore. If Daehyun really wanted him to forgive him, he would accept his mistakes and stay. Even as he hid his face, Youngjae was waiting for Daehyun to say something sharp and leave, but as the minutes passed, Daehyun’s warm body remained beside his.

He lifted his head slowly, only to see that Daehyun’s eyes were already on his.

He didn’t say anything, but Youngjae appreciated the silence.

 

The hours Yongguk spent cradling his lover’s lifeless body felt like the longest hours of his life. He had not yet wept, for he knew that he and Junhong could still be together, nor had he formed a plan to destroy his murderer. He could wait for that. For now, he had to wait for his lover to wake.

Junhong was pale before, but his skin was now deathly white, contrasting with the black fabric that hung off his willowy body. Yongguk could not stand to see Junhong’s blood splattered over his white clothes and had dressed him in some of the Underworld’s silks.

Yongguk had never thought this would happen. He had promised to keep Junhong safe – and less than three months after Junhong was released from the Underworld, he was back again. Yongguk’s eyes were dark with regret as he gazed upon his lover, simply waiting.

What felt like an eternity later, the god saw the boy’s eyelashes flutter and he awoke with a gasp, his chest heaving once again. The god tensed, cradling his body closer, and Junhong breathed heavily, turning his head slightly to face Yongguk.

“I... am dead?” he whispered, lifting his hand to his chest. His heart was no longer beating, and his wound was no longer bleeding.

The god lowered his head, unable to look his beloved nymph in the eye, “I am sorry I was not there.” His voice was thick with shame and regret, but he felt Junhong’s pale hand caress his cheek. He lifted the nymph in his arms, pulling him into a tight embrace. “It will never happen again. I will never leave your side again,” his body shuddered with the memory of what had happened hours ago. Junhong’s body would have been across the river by now, in Asphodel, if Jongup had not realised that he had died and halted his transportation. The messenger had him sent back to Yongguk’s palace, where he would stay.

Now Junhong was dead, he could not leave the Underworld – but he could remain in Yongguk’s castle instead of Asphodel. Even if he was dead, they could still be together.

“I am happy I have you,” the young nymph murmured, his eyes meeting the god’s. Yongguk’s eyes were already pricking with unshed tears at the thought of losing Junhong. It had been so close...

Junhong knocked their heads together, and the tears in Yongguk’s eyes finally spilled over. “We’re safe now,” the nymph said softly, his lips brushing over Yongguk’s. Yongguk grasped the nymph tightly, making sure he was still in his arms.

“I love you so much more than you know,” Yongguk whispered, as if a loud noise would scare Junhong away. “I would not be able to live if you...” he didn’t finish his sentence, choking up.

Junhong cupped the god’s face, “That will not happen again,” he said firmly. “We will be wed, remember?”

Yongguk froze in his hold.

The living could not marry the dead. It was impossible – especially since Yongguk’s wedding had to be officiated in Olympus. The moment someone dead left the Underworld, they disappeared. They could no longer exist in the Underworld, Seas or Skies, or on the Surface.

Junhong and Yongguk could never be married, now.

The realisation crashed into him like a cold wave, but he did not have the heart to tell his lover the truth.

“Of course we will be,” the man murmured, and Junhong smiled.

“Then I am happy,” he said brightly, but Yongguk could not return his expression. He did not know how Junhong would react, when it finally dawned on him that he could not return to the Surface, to his forest. To his home.

Junhong swung his legs over Yongguk’s and leaned back, relaxing into the bed.

He had not yet realised that it was Yongguk’s bed, but Yongguk knew he was certain to blush when it registered. They had only shared a bed once before, although their ventures in the forest had sometimes come close.

Yongguk felt his heart seize when he felt Junhong tense above him, and the nymph suddenly scrambled to hold him tight, his grip still weak. His eyes were wide open, words flying out of his mouth, “My Lord, you must save Youngjae. The village has threatened to execute him. I had forgotten–”

Yongguk saw the desperation in Junhong’s eyes and nodded. He never wanted to see Junhong so afraid, ever again. With his arm, he held the nymph close as he called for his messenger.

“Jongup,” he spoke into the empty air, feeling the air shift when Jongup appeared behind him. He was as prompt and dutiful as always, and Yongguk turned his head to face his trusted messenger. “Retrieve Youngjae from the Surface and bring him here.”

“Yes, my lord,” Jongup said obediently, his eyes gazing over Junhong. The nymph had not seen the messenger in months, but he understood the concern in his eyes. Junhong mouthed a silent thank-you, and Jongup tilted his head, looking at Yongguk and back at the door.

Yongguk nodded his head in response, “He can come in, but tell him to be gentle.”

Jongup nodded sharply and disappeared.

A few seconds later, Himchan burst into the room, making his way to Junhong to cup his face in worry. Yongguk was watching them carefully, to make sure Himchan didn’t accidentally disturb his wound, but the Atlantean avoided Junhong’s chest completely. He could not heal the wound, now that Junhong was dead.

“Are you alright, young nymph?” he cried, and Junhong cracked a smile at the familiarity of his friend.

“I am dead, but I am fine,” he answered honestly, letting Himchan pinch his cheeks without saying a word. The Atlantean had worried about him for hours, having heard the news from Jongup, but he wasn’t allowed to see him until now.

“We will see more of each other, now,” Himchan smiled kindly, and Junhong reached over to give him a hug.

“I’ve missed you,” the nymph murmured quietly, sighing happily when Himchan hugged him back. The Atlantean truly felt like an older brother to him now, especially since he looked after him as much as Junseo did.

Yongguk felt his heart size with fondness as he looked at the two – with so much affection that he almost forgot about his rage towards the villagers.

 

The door slammed open and Daehyun jumped up to his feet, Youngjae following quickly.

“What are you doing here, you fool?” Sanghyun snarled in his direction. Daehyun immediately held Youngjae’s hand for protection, moving in front of the younger boy.

“What are you doing here?” Daehyun snapped in reply, looking at his brother. Sanghyun was both taller and broader, but the younger brother didn’t back down as he approached, even as Youngjae shrunk back.

“It’s noon,” the man replied, holding his hand out. “Give him to me.”

Youngjae’s eyes widened – he didn’t think this would actually happen.

“We should wait,” Daehyun said sharply, his shoulders straightening as he stared down his brother. He held his hands behind his back, not wanting Sanghyun to see his perspiring hands. “He speaks of Lord Death and the murdered nymph being lovers. We cannot risk killing him too.”

He felt thin fingers clasp into his from behind, but he did not turn around to look at Youngjae. He could not risk his brother finding out about their friendship.

Sanghyun raised an unimpressed brow, “He is lying, for more time. You should not let this orphan trick you, Daehyun – it is not possible for the Lord of Death to love a mortal, let alone a nymph, nor would he be loved in return. Now, hurry and give the orphan to me.”

Daehyun swallowed, and glanced at Youngjae.

“No,” he said, his voice loud in the silence of the room. “He is innocent, Sanghyun.”

Sanghyun narrowed his eyes, muttering under his breath about how weak his brother was before striding forward and ripping the two apart from each other. Youngjae tried his best to keep Daehyun’s hand in his, but Sanghyun was much stronger than the both of them. When Daehyun reached out for him, Sanghyun knocked him aside as if he weighed nothing and he crashed into the walls, his body folding into two.

“Daehyun!” Youngjae cried, struggling against Sanghyun’s grip. He wanted – needed – to make sure Daehyun was okay.

“Time to die, orphan,” Sanghyun told Youngjae sadistically, as he pulled him towards the door without sparing a second glance at his brother. Outside, there was a group of people waiting for the execution – and he had a feast planned for tonight. He was glorious.

Before Youngjae even left the hut, a hand grabbed his arm, pulling him back easily. Sanghyun growled, turning around and ready to yell at his brother, but was shocked by a furious messenger, whose strength easily overtook his own.

Without a word, Jongup tore Youngjae away from Sanghyun’s hold, and the human ran towards Daehyun, falling to his knees and checking if he was okay.

Jongup stared at the murderer in front of him, his irises the colour of blood.

“Who are you?” Sanghyun said, his voice filled with anxiety. His clothes were black – and his eyes couldn’t be human. “You are not Lord Yongguk,” the man said accusingly, trying to convince himself that the other man was not a god. But his clothes were from the Underworld.

Jongup did not dignify him with a response, striding forward to grip his wrist and snap it in two.

Sanghyun released a blood curling scream and pulled his hand back with all of his strength, stumbling out of the hut as fast as he could. Jongup stared at him as he left, but turned around instead of following.

Yongguk would have the honor of killing him; Jongup did not want to take his revenge away from him.

“Come with me,” he said quietly to Youngjae, holding out his hand.

Youngjae looked reluctantly at the man, and then back to Daehyun, who had hit the wall head-first and fainted.

“Let him come too,” he begged, clasping onto the unconscious man’s hand. “I will feel guilty if his brother comes back and sees him here. Lord Jongup, please.”

“I cannot guarantee his safety from Lord Yongguk’s wrath,” Jongup replied, the longest sentence Youngjae had ever heard him say. The messenger glanced towards the door, hearing footsteps approach and extended his hand further.

Holding Daehyun’s hand in one of his, Youngjae reached out to take Jongup’s. He felt the messenger god’s hand grasp his firmly, and the three of them disappeared as Daehyun’s father threw the door open, wielding a sword.

Youngjae froze, but when he blinked he was already in the Underworld. He squinted his eyes, trying to adjust to the sudden darkness. They were inside a castle, hard floor against his bare feet. Jongup disappeared moments later, leaving Youngjae alone to look around. He turned, tilting his head up to look at the floor above, but there was no one else in sight.

He steadied Daehyun against him, glad that the other man was still breathing, even if he wasn’t conscious. Junhong had told him often about Himchan, Yongguk’s trusted healer and Jongup’s lover. Youngjae hoped he would agree to care for Daehyun. Youngjae hugged Daehyun closer to him, nervous in the unfamiliar environment.

The air was cooler here, and he shivered. He wasn’t cold – but he was scared. Most people only ever entered the Underworld once.

When Jongup returned moments later, he was with Yongguk, Junhong and a beautiful man Youngjae guessed was Himchan. The human was too shocked at the sight of the pale nymph to rush forward and embrace him – he had never seen Junhong in anything but his white clothes, but dressed in all black... He looked like he belonged with Yongguk.

“You’re alive,” the human breathed, as Junhong surged forward to hug him tightly. Youngjae’s grip on Daehyun almost loosened, but Jongup was by his side an instant, taking the other human and settling him down. The man Youngjae didn’t recognise – Himchan – walked over to examine the human who had fainted.

“I am dead,” Junhong said finally, still not releasing him, “but I am well. I cannot believe you are here!”

Youngjae smiled wryly at him, patting the other man’s arms, as if checking he was actually in front of him. Junhong’s attention quickly shifted to the fainted Daehyun, who was slumped in a chair. Youngjae hurried over to see him, eyes widening when he saw Himchan’s hands glowing.

“Is that the prince?” Junhong asked excitedly, walking closer to peer at his face. He looked impressed, nodding to himself. “You did well, Youngjae. He is very handsome.”

The human blushed red and elbowed him.

Only Jongup saw Yongguk grumble to himself, a frown on his face, and the messenger god turned his head to hide a smirk. Having the most beautiful man alive as his lover meant he was used to concealing his jealousy, but it seemed that Yongguk had not yet learnt how.

“Is he going to be alright?” Youngjae asked Himchan worriedly. “He took a hit to a concrete wall, head-first.”

“He will be fine with some rest,” the half-god said, smiling kindly at the human. “I’m Himchan.”

“Youngjae,” the human returned meekly. He had never seen someone as beautiful as the other.

Himchan’s hands stopped glowing, and Daehyun slumped down even more. “Jongup will bring him to a room. You are welcome to accompany him too, if you wish.”

Youngjae nodded, and Junhong tilted his head. “Can I come too?”

No one answered, not knowing who he was asking.

“Of course,” Yongguk spoke, after a pause. He tilted his head to kiss the nymph, “Jongup, Himchan and I will stay here, if you need anything. We will be discussing our plans for the village.”

Junhong nodded, his eyes saddening, and he lifted his hand to his wound on his chest. “Please avenge my nymphai, my lord,” he whispered quietly, curling his fingers into his own shirt.

Yongguk closed his eyes and nodded, trying not to show his anger. He was not only going to avenge Junhong’s nymphai, but Junhong himself – the village should have listened when Youngjae had told them they were lovers. Now, they were only going to regret their actions.

“We will discuss Daehyun’s fate when he wakes,” Yongguk said to Youngjae, before excusing himself. He disappeared without looking at any of them, even his beloved nymph.

Himchan and Jongup shared a knowing look, and the half-god patted Youngjae’s shoulder. “We must go after him. Junhong, may you bring them up to a spare room? Any one is fine,” Himchan said, and the nymph nodded, even if he was still staring at the place where the god had disappeared.

 

Daehyun groaned, blinking his eyes open. He did not recognise the dark room, but he could hear muffled talking, which immediately quietened when he forced himself up.

His eyes sought for Youngjae, and he immediately relaxed when Youngjae sat next to him on the bed.

“Are we dead?” the man whispered fearfully, holding onto the other boy’s hands. He had hoped that they could both live, together. If only they had run away into the forests – if only Youngjae had wanted to go.

“We are not dead, just in the Underworld,” Youngjae said softly, brushing Daehyun’s hair aside from his forehead. He was sweating profusely, but felt his heart pounding in his chest and relaxed immediately.

The man next to Youngjae was staring at him in complete silence, his mouth slightly open. Daehyun had never seen him before, but he immediately knew who he was.

“You’re the nymph,” he murmured, suddenly embarrassed he had never learnt his name. He had never even bothered to ask.

And he looked so human. There was really no difference between the nymph and Youngjae, other than the fact that the nymph towered above the boy. Daehyun swallowed, seeing the nymph stare at him scrutinisingly, before he offered out a hand.

“My name is Junhong,” he said cheerfully. “I heard you looked after our Youngjae whilst I was here in the winter.”

“I’m Daehyun,” the human said quickly, hesitating for only a moment before taking his hand. Junhong didn’t seem to notice. “And... he looked after me.” He gazed at the other boy, who looked down shyly, playing with his fingers. Junhong was making quiet cooing noises, but stopped when Youngjae elbowed him in the side.

“Are you feeling alright?” Youngjae murmured quietly. “Lord Jongup’s lover healed you.”

Daehyun nodded, not knowing what to reply. He wasn’t there for Youngjae when they arrived, so he did not know whether they had been approached by the Lord of Death yet, or if they were waiting for their fate.

“So it’s true?” he asked Junhong. “You are the Lord of Death’s lover?”

Junhong nodded, and Daehyun asked curiously, “How do you know he truly loves you, if he cannot feel any emotions?”

“Daehyun!” Youngjae yelled, scandalised, and Junhong’s jaw tightened, as he stood up. The smile disappeared from his face.

“Almost everything you have ever heard about the Underworld, or about Lord Yongguk is false,” he said coldly. “Everything humans tell each other are lies, built upon hidden secrets and tricks. They are cruel to everything and everyone who is not one of their own, are you aware of that?” he snapped, and Daehyun’s eyes widened. Youngjae flinched, never having heard Junhong so angry before, but the nymph continued on. “I would highly recommend that, before you insult my lover in his home – where he has graciously welcomed you – you should think about who is in charge of your fate.”

“Junhong...” Youngjae mumbled, not knowing whose side he should be on.

“I cannot defend him if he offends Yongguk, Youngjae,” Junhong said in frustration. “I cannot forgive someone who hurts him.”

“He is new to this,” Youngjae sighed, casting a glance at the helpless-looking man in the bed. “Please forgive him, this once.”

Daehyun frowned, seeing the two argue. Junhong looked pensive, and he walked towards the door. “Go down and see Yongguk when you are ready. I will not tell him about what you just said, but from now on, your speech is your own responsibility.”

He left the room swiftly, the door closing with a quiet clack that sounded ten times louder under the scrutiny of Youngjae’s gaze. The human leaned over to flick Daehyun’s head, chastising him, “Are you able to keep your mouth shut?” He huffed.

The man had the decency to look apologetic. “I am sorry.”

“Junhong is the kindest soul I have ever met, and you angered him seconds into your first meeting,” Youngjae hissed, but his anger was quickly being replaced with dread. “You will not survive if you continue thinking about nymphs and gods like they are below you.”

“Of course gods aren’t below humans,” Daehyun protested. Youngjae glared at him, and he amended his mistake. “I know nymphs aren’t, either. But I was raised thinking that nymphs like Junhong wanted to kill me, and that Lord Yongguk would not hesitate to kill anybody. I am terrified, here,” he mumbled suddenly. “Nothing is as I was taught.”

Youngjae softened, but he could not completely forgive the other human.

“I know they are not,” he agreed. “But Lord Yongguk is a kind god. One of the kindest. I am sure he will understand your predicament enough to forgive you, and the rest of the village.”

Daehyun could hear the other man’s voice thickening when he finished his sentence and he looked up. “...Do you believe that we deserve to be forgiven?”

Youngjae swallowed slowly, and he answered carefully. “If I was in Yongguk’s position, only two from the village would survive to see tomorrow.”

Daehyun exhaled heavily – but not out of relief. He did not know how he could handle the uncertainty of his fate.

“Let’s go,” he said bravely, pulling the sheets away and standing beside the bed. “We cannot keep the Lord of the Underworld waiting.”

“Of course not,” Youngjae mumbled, but when he looked up at the other human, he was trembling. He did not want to lose his second friend as well, but it wasn’t looking good.

Without a word, they linked hands and made their way downstairs, where Yongguk had said he would be.

Daehyun clutched Youngjae’s hand even harder as they descended the staircase, seeing the four at the very bottom. Yongguk and Jongup had looked at them for only a moment, but Junhong and Himchan had not noticed them yet.

“My lord,” Youngjae spoke first, and the Junhong and Himchan turned around in surprise. Junhong immediately faltered, but he gave the two of them a hopeful smile, and gave Yongguk a quick kiss on the cheek.

He may have whispered something else into his lover’s ear, but no one could hear it.

“Daehyun,” Yongguk said, before the human had even reached the bottom of the staircase. He immediately froze, unable to take another step, and Youngjae’s nails dug deep into his palm. “It is not you who is doomed.”

Youngjae inhaled sharply, and his grip instantly loosened on Daehyun’s hand. When he met Daehyun’s eyes, he was grinning brightly, but Daehyun was still in shock.

“W-What?”

“As much as I would love to destroy everyone and everything which has ever stepped foot into that village, I cannot. It would not be fair,” the god explained, but the kindness of his words did not meet his eyes. He was staring at Daehyun like he was unimportant, like a mere insect. “The only people who I cannot promise life to, are the group who killed my nymph.”

Daehyun squeezed his eyes shut. Of course.

“I understand Junhong’s murderer is your brother?” Yongguk asked sharply, and Daehyun nodded tightly. “Then, do you have any protest?”

Youngjae gave him a pointed look, but Daehyun could not simply bite his lip shut and shake his head once. He never particularly liked his brother, but he did not want Sanghyun to die. He swallowed, knowing he was facing his death as he looked up at stared into Yongguk’s black eyes, devoid of any emotion.

“Of course I do not want my brother to die,” he said, voice hard. Yongguk’s jaw hardened, but Junhong placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. “I am not denying his guilt, Lord Yongguk. Believe me. Nor am I denying that he deserves to die. But I do not want him to.”

Even with his hand curled into Yongguk’s sleeve, Junhong could not stop Yongguk from surging forward and seizing Daehyun by the neck, and snarling, “Your brother does not deserve to die. He deserves to suffer.” The black of his pupils had seeped into the whites, and he looked crazed with rage, “I only wish there was somewhere worse than Tartarus for him to go.”

Daehyun flinched back, struggling to get out of the god’s hold.

“Let him go, Yongguk,” Junhong ordered, grabbing his arm and pulling until all the strength in Yongguk’s in arm disappeared.

Daehyun scrambled back in fear, and Junhong pushed Yongguk back until he was no longer standing in front of the human. Daehyun avoided the nymph’s gaze, his heart pounding in his chest, and Junhong glared at his lover as he helped the human up.

“You need to control your anger,” he said curtly, suddenly looking exhausted. “Daehyun has done nothing to deserve your rage, or your force, Yongguk.” He sighed, but it was more tired than mean. “I thought you would know how to control your emotions by now.”

“I can hear everything that is said in this castle,” Yongguk said, but his voice was no longer a deep growl. It seemed like he was protesting instead. “I do not care about what he said about me, but he upset you.”

“If that is what you care about, then you should allow me to deal with it,” Junhong said, his tone gentle. Yongguk stared at the nymph, his eyes devoid of any emotion, before his eyes flickered to the human beside him.

Without a word, he disappeared from sight, surprising all of them but Jongup.

“We have some matters to discuss regarding care for Junhong’s forest,” Himchan said finally, carrying the discussion. “Yongguk called Haseul for a meeting, whilst you were unconscious,” he said to Daehyun. “The idea is that you and Youngjae look after the forest regularly, and in return, you will be granted entry into Elysium upon death,” he said, and both humans’ mouths dropped open.

“I-It would be an honour,” Youngjae spoke, and Daehyun could only nod – shocked from the previous events, and what Himchan had just said.

“Fantastic; come with me,” Himchan gestured, but he saw Junhong hesitate. “Junhong, go find Yongguk first. He is most likely sulking in...” he glanced at Jongup, who gave him a curt nod, “his room.”

Junhong faltered, but he could not deny that he was feeling guilty – was he too harsh on Yongguk?

“Will you be alright?” he asked Youngjae and the human just gestured for him to go.

“We will be fine,” Youngjae gave the nymph the smile, and Junhong immediately hurried up the staircase without a second thought.

Yongguk had been different since this morning, and they had just had their first fight. Junhong did not think that much would change, even after his death, but he was now worrying that he was wrong.

He had never thought about it before – but maybe Yongguk didn’t want him if he was dead. The god did fall in love with the forest nymph, and Junhong couldn’t be a nymph, without his forest. Not anymore.

He didn’t want to go to Asphodel. He still had Youngjae, and Himchan. And Yongguk.

He didn’t want to truly die.

But if Yongguk didn’t want him anymore, what would happen?

 


 

daehyun always gets in trouble tbh

please leave a comment if you liked this update!