Spring 2/3

A Year's Worth

 

Spring 2/3
(warning for violence and death)

 


 

Junhong could feel the hairs standing on his arm as he held onto Yongguk’s arm, ready to leave. As much as he enjoyed his time in the Underworld, he did not want to come back until next year. He closed his eyes, gripping onto his lover tightly.

He could feel wind blowing through his hair, before he even opened his eyes. He sighed in relief at the sight of the green floor, the feeling of the soft grass beneath his feet. He could still feel the cool chill of winter, but it was barely there anymore.

“Junhong!” Youngjae stood up in front of the tree, unmoving, as if in disbelief about what he was seeing. In the moonlight, it was clear that he had been crying, but Junhong did not get time to ask him why. Youngjae was already running towards him, and the nymph was almost knocked over when the human barrelled into him. His shoulders shook as he cried and laughed, and he buried his face into Youngjae’s hair. The human was also trembling in his hold, hugging him tightly.

Yongguk watched them both, a fond smile on his face.

Junhong looked up, watching as flowers covered the ground beneath them, leading out to the forest, where fruit started to grow on the trees. He took a deep breath, feeling the life around him and the flowers growing on his palms. The urge to lie down and roll in the grass was overwhelming, but he knew both Youngjae and Yongguk would stare at him. Besides, he did not want Yongguk to think he felt so trapped in the Underworld.

“You could make it rain flowers,” Youngjae sniffled, and Junhong hugged him again.

“It is good to be back,” he said happily, stepping back to look at Youngjae properly. He immediately noted the human’s red eyes, swollen long before his arrival. “Why have you been crying? Have you been waiting here long?”

“Since this morning,” Youngjae said, looking at all the flowers around them.

The nymph blinked, his expression clouding with worry. “Youngjae, if you have been waiting here for so long, somebody in your village would have noticed.”

“I’m not going back,” the human mumbled, dropping to his knees to gather some flowers. He avoided Junhong’s eyes, even as the nymph took a seat in front of him, and Yongguk sat next to them as well. The god busied himself with some of the flowers, not wanting to make Youngjae uncomfortable with his full attention.

Junhong stayed quiet, focusing on his hands as he created even more flowers. Youngjae never liked to be pressed for answers, and he always told Junhong everything in the end.

The human in front of him was struggling to find words, setting the flowers in his hands down before he clenched his fists. “I befriended Daehyun during the winter.”

Junhong’s head snapped up, a smile beginning to lighten his face, but it dropped as soon as he saw Youngjae’s face. The human looked up to meet his eyes, “He and I helped the village survive in the winter, and I thought we had become closer...” he trailed off, not knowing how to say what he wanted to.

“Do you still love him?” the nymph asked.

“Not anymore,” Youngjae replied, feeling the lie settle in the air between them. “I thought I could trust him, so I told him about nymphs... And he told me I was the village’s traitor.”

Junhong frowned, but Yongguk was staring at him now.

“Will he seek Junhong out?” the god asked urgently. He knew it may not have been the point of Youngjae’s speech, but Junhong was always Yongguk’s priority. “Is he in danger?”

“Daehyun would not hunt him down himself, but he may tell the other villagers,” Youngjae’s eyes fell, playing with his fingers. “I should have thought of that before telling him. I truly am sorry, Junhong.”

The nymph shook his head, refusing to accept the other’s apology. “If you told him, you must have trusted him immensely. I am not the one you should be worrying about.” Youngjae looked at him, eyes widening in shock at his kindness. Junhong’s eyes were soft as he looked at the other in sympathy – Youngjae had suffered a lot in the past three months, alone.

“I missed you so much,” the human cried, moving forward to hug the other again. Junhong held him tightly, closing his eyes and sighing happily.

“I missed you too.”

He waited until Youngjae reluctantly pulled back, before he said quietly, “I love you, Youngjae, but you cannot stay with me.”

The boy’s mouth opened, “What do you mean?”

“I cannot protect you here, Youngjae,” Junhong sighed, leaning back. Youngjae’s expression immediately turned into one of anger. Knowing he was about to argue, the nymph continued, “You are in more danger with me.”

“But I have already told him!” Youngjae cried.

He will not hurt you,” Junhong said slowly, promising him. During his days spent in the Underworld, after he read the records of everyone he knew, he had decided to read the records of the village. Whenever Youngjae complained about the village leader, he never talked about his wife, Daehyun’s mother, and the nymph soon learnt that she had passed away when Daehyun was ten years old. To his relief, she was unlike her husband – she was kind, and honest, and loving. All traits she managed to pass down to her second son, if not her first.

Youngjae felt his eyes sting, “Please, Junhong.”

“I would not endanger you,” Junhong said. “Trust me, Youngjae.”

Reluctantly, the human agreed.

“Fine,” he said quietly, not seeing how relieved Junhong looked. “But you cannot make me return home until the morning,” he said, and looked over at Yongguk. “Both of you, tell me how the past three months were!”

Junhong shared an amused look with Yongguk before he agreed, laughing when Youngjae jumped in excitement. They all sat down on the grass, the moon high in the sky, and talked until the sun rose the next morning.

 

When Youngjae was forced to return home, he mumbled and complained relentlessly that he couldn’t believe Junhong was leading him to his death. He only had a few hours of sleep, so Yongguk told him to get some more rest when he returned to his hut. Youngjae already knew that Yongguk was kind, but everything the god said and did only reinforced that notion; he had even brought up some food from the Underworld! After eating more food than he had ever eaten before, the human finally knew that both Yongguk and Junhong deserved each other.

He walked towards the village quietly, not wanting to attract attention. Perhaps if he lived like this – staying out with Junhong all night and only returning home to sleep – he could survive the next few years in the village, without being executed.

He heaved a heavy breath as he opened the door to his hut and slipped inside, closing the door without a sound. The human was only carrying a bouquet of flowers, but they dropped to the floor when he saw who was sitting on his bed.

Daehyun looked uncomfortable, sitting with his back straight and watching Youngjae carefully.

“Sorry for intruding,” he said quietly, standing up. “But I really needed to speak to you.”

Youngjae knelt down to pick up his flowers, before placing them on a small table. He stared at Daehyun, crossing his arms and willing his voice not to tremble. “You should just tell me whether I have to move into the next village or not.”

“I will not tell my father for now,” Daehyun said stiffly, walking closer to the younger boy. Youngjae swallowed, not stepping back even as he approached. “But the moment this village is endangered because of your little ‘friendship’ – I will not hesitate to.”

“Has the village been endangered in the past fifteen years?” Youngjae snapped.

Daehyun paused, eyes flickering down to Youngjae’s clenched fists. His lips pressed together angrily, and he strode towards the door without another word.

“Do not come in here again,” Youngjae said coldly, seeing Daehyun’s eyes narrow and jaw tighten with rage.

“My brother is starting a hunt. Tomorrow. Warn your ‘friend.’”

He slammed the door shut without another word.

When Youngjae finally understood what Daehyun had said, he swore under his breath and rushed out of the door, back towards the clearing.

 

He burst into the clearing, panting in exhaustion, only to see Junhong running through the grass towards Yongguk, who was waiting by the pomegranate tree. Flowers sprouted along the ground he ran on, and he leapt into his lover’s arms. Youngjae’s mouth opened as he saw the grass being covered by pink and white, as Yongguk held Junhong tightly.

It had been three, long months since he had seen so much colour.

The two lovers shared a kiss and the flowers bloomed brighter, as a new draft of wind whipped through their hair. Their skin glowed in the sunlight, and Yongguk set the laughing nymph down, pressing a gentle kiss to his cheek. They exchanged a few words, eyes never leaving each other as they spoke.

Youngjae almost felt guilty when he had to ruin their moment, stepping out sheepishly from the forest. He seriously wondered how they had gotten so close so quickly.

Yongguk looked up immediately, sensing a shift in the environment, and Junhong followed his gaze moments later. The nymph’s surprised expression soon turned into one of confusion, and then he looked unimpressed.

“Youngjae,” he started, and the human shook his head.

“No, I went back,” he cut in. “And Daehyun… was in my house. He said there will be a hunt again, tomorrow, but he will not tell his father of you, or of Lord Yongguk.”

Yongguk looked worried, his hand holding Junhong’s waist firmly.

“I see,” Junhong said quietly.

“Please be careful,” Youngjae begged desperately. “Three months alone without you was difficult enough, I couldn’t…”

“Nothing will happen to him,” Yongguk said firmly, as a comfort for both Youngjae and Junhong. “I will visit him every night to ensure that he is safe. Besides, Haseul will spend most of the daytime here, with both of you. She can keep you safe.” Youngjae felt himself relax, even if he knew Yongguk was mostly talking to Junhong.

Youngjae had heard of Haseul last night, during Junhong’s tired ramblings. The nymph had mumbled that she was going to teach him how to grow flowers, and fruits, so he wouldn’t go hungry during the winter. The human doubted that he would be able to learn any skills, even with Junhong’s and Haseul’s talent with nature, but he was willing to try for the village.

“When will she arrive?”  Youngjae asked, and Yongguk looked at Junhong.

“I could invite her now, if you wish,” he looked back at Youngjae. “Perhaps you would like to rest more?”

“I am fine,” the human answered, shrugging lightly. He wouldn’t be able to sleep now, anyway. Junhong gave Yongguk an encouraging look, and the god squeezed his shoulder.

“I will be back in moments,” he promised, kissing Junhong’s cheek before he disappeared.

Youngjae felt his body fill with relief as soon as he knew they were alone. He liked Yongguk immensely – there was no one else he would prefer as his best friend’s lover – but being with Junhong alone was more comfortable. He was sure it would be as comfortable with Yongguk too, eventually, but that would take some time.

As the nymph reached out to ruffle his hair, Youngjae knew that he would have to get used to other people being around, especially Yongguk. Junhong had found his soulmate, and he was content.

The human reached out to give him a hug, knowing that they had hugged more in the past day than ever before. “I’m happy you’re happy, Junhong,” he said quietly, hoping the nymph wouldn’t pull away.

Junhong hugged him back tightly. “You will be too. Soon.”

Youngjae took comfort in how Junhong said it like a promise.

 

The human was pleasantly surprised when he met Haseul and found that growing flowers was easier than he thought it would be. In their first meeting, she produced hundreds of seeds, and encouraged him to bury them in a sunny patch in the forest. She didn’t explain why but told him to water them for the next two days.

Junhong was always by his side, watching him curiously, as he watered the buried seeds, and watched along him in amazement as the seeds became sprouts. Within a mere week, they had grown into budding stalks, ready to bear fruit.

Haseul had explained that the seeds only needed water and sunlight to grow, and she suspected that Junhong’s flowers were the same. So, as Youngjae was tasked with watering and caring for thousands of plants throughout the day, Haseul encouraged Junhong to create some seeds of his own.

In weeks, they had already started a comfortable pattern. Youngjae withdrew from the village, only returning in the late night to sleep and waking early to see Haseul and Junhong. His few months with them had been calm and peaceful, and he treasured each day without the villagers, especially Daehyun.

“Is Lord Yongguk coming by tonight?” Youngjae asked, as he tilted a bowl of water over some strawberry seedlings. Haseul had let him try a variety of fruits a few weeks ago, to encourage him to grow the plants, and he was definitely anticipating the strawberries the most.

Junhong was leaning against a tree, staring intently at his palm. “Yeah,” he said distractedly. “He will be here soon, actually.”

Youngjae nodded and returned to watering his plants, not seeing Junhong’s eyebrows furrow and his mouth flatten in frustration. “I have tried making these seeds for weeks,” he muttered. “Nothing has happened!”

“Haseul said these things take time,” Youngjae looked at him, surprised to see the nymph getting worked up. “It took you years to learn how to make fruit, after all.”

Junhong sighed loudly, and dropped his hand, giving up.

Youngjae tilted his head, setting down the bowl of water and walking over to where Junhong was standing. Even though they were in the forest, rays of sunlight shone through the tree branches, so the human took relief in the shade the tree provided. “The seeds are not so different from your flowers.”

“I know,” the nymph said, almost disappointedly. Flowers were all he knew, but he could not even make their seeds. “But these are so much harder to make.”

“Are you trying to make seeds?” Youngjae asked.

Junhong gave him an incredulous look, “Did you just forget our conversation? Of course I am, Youngjae.”

“The seeds are not different from your flowers,” Youngjae said slowly. “Do not convince yourself that they are completely different. Both have life, after all.”

Junhong blinked, slowly registering the human’s words, and he lifted his palm, ready to try once more. He focused on his closed fingers, imagining a flower growing inside a small, round seed. Its petals were a pale white, the same as his favourite flower, the one that reminded him of his lover.

Junhong wanted his first grown flower to be Yongguk’s.

He opened his eyes, and slowly unfurled his fingers, his lips curving into a smile when he saw a single seed. It was not perfect, and had been severely flattened on one side, but as soon as he saw it, the nymph felt his heart surge. He looked at the wide-eyed Youngjae, who was at him in shock.

“I have a long way to go,” he laughed when the human cheered loudly, congratulating him and praising him for his success. “Haseul created hundreds in one try!”

“You are incredible,” Youngjae’s grin was almost blinding. There was no shortage of admiration as he looked up at the nymph, and back at the seed in his palm. Junhong returned his smile and walked past the strawberry plants were, towards a large, square patch of grass.

He could imagine what the area would look like in a few weeks’ time; he hoped that before long, hundreds of grown white flowers would fill the forest, reminding him every day of his lover. The nymph smiled, just thinking about it, and turned to his best friend.

“Before this week’s end, I will be as gifted as Haseul,” he said confidently, feeling a burst of hope. In his hands, he created another seed, which sat beside the first. Their life pulsated in his hand, and he closed his fingers around them, promising himself that when he finished, it would be the most beautiful garden in the forest.

 

The truth was, he could finish the garden in a second and it would look just as good as if he grew it.

It would be easy, too. He could snap his fingers and the white flowers would already be waving in the wind, waiting for Yongguk.

But growing them himself, raising them from the soil with only sun, water and time, would mean so much more. Not only for Yongguk, but for himself as well. He had never been able to do anything truly special for the god, in return for the endless jewels and gold Yongguk presented him with.

The nymph spent every waking moment creating seeds, until he had filled multiple of Youngjae’s bowls with hundreds of them. As soon as he finished, he had Youngjae teach him how to bury each one, and water them all with fresh spring water. At the end of it all, Junhong was sweating from standing out in the sun, but he had a wide grin on his face.

“Let’s not tell Yongguk of this until they have grown,” he said to Youngjae excitedly, trying to imagine Yongguk’s reaction when he saw the new flowers. Would the god be pleased? Or would he not care if they were grown?

The human looked back at him, seeing the hope in the nymph’s eyes, and agreed immediately.

In the meantime, Yongguk came over every evening, often a few hours before Youngjae returned to his village. He would ask what the two did during the day, and both of them would reply vaguely about growing flowers and fruits, but they never told them where. Youngjae, from his position against the pomegranate tree, would look over and see Junhong nestled in Yongguk’s hold, eyes sparkling with the mirth of keeping a secret.

“What’s gotten you so happy?” Yongguk asked one day, his fingers dancing over Junhong’s cheek as the nymph rested his head on the god’s lap. Youngjae was busy threading flowers together, creating a long chain which would eventually hang from the tree, but he looked up to see Junhong’s reply.

The flowers were all budding this morning and would undoubtedly bloom the next day. Junhong looked up at the god and smiled softly but did not answer his question. “Will you be here tomorrow, at the same time?”

Yongguk leaned back, resting his weight on two hands behind him to think, before replying apologetically, “Perhaps a bit later, after the moon has risen.”

Now, the sun was setting below the trees in the distance. Junhong imagined how the garden would look, with the moon shining down on the white flowers, their petals luminous. Perhaps it would look even more romantic. He could feel his heart flutter in his chest just thinking about it.

“Sounds perfect,” he said dreamily, smiling when Yongguk leaned over to peck his nose.

“I will definitely come,” he reminded the nymph, but could not stop looking at him affectionately. “But if it is too late, do not wait for me. I will find you,” he promised, and Junhong nodded, knowing Yongguk never went back on his word.

They had only met half a year ago, but there was nobody whom Junhong trusted more.

 

“You should go home, it’s getting late,” Junhong urged Youngjae, seeing the human shake his head immediately. The moon was hanging low in the sky, which was clear of any clouds. The nymph frowned, and Youngjae walked over, carefully avoiding any flowers.

“I wish to accompany you,” he said happily, looking over the nymph’s work. The white flowers filled the space, the tallest coming up to their knees. Even when growing plants, Junhong was so much more gifted than Youngjae was. The nymph could hear the flowers’ songs and listened to whether they were thirsty or too cold. Youngjae couldn’t, so his plants took longer to take root.

Junhong crouched to look at the flowers closely. Unlike the ones he created, they had all grown and sprouted at different times, so they were all different heights; but he thought the lack of uniformity was beautiful. It seemed more natural, like the flowers had their own freedom.

He hoped Yongguk would think the same.

He straightened a flower’s stalk and went through all of them, preparing each for Yongguk’s visit. Time passed by quickly as both Junhong and Youngjae looked after their garden in the darkness.

Junhong felt a frown form on his face after an hour, when Yongguk still had not appeared. The moon was now at its highest, and it was well past midnight.

He didn’t doubt that Yongguk would arrive, but he was worried about what could be keeping him for so long.

He heard a yelp and turned just in time to see a spooked deer barrel into Youngjae, knocking the small human over onto a patch of Junhong’s flowers. Junhong hurried over, reaching out a hand to the doe, calming her down by running his hand between her ears. With his other hand, he helped Youngjae up, who was tense and looking around nervously.

“Junhong, why would she be running?” Youngjae whispered, as the nymph looked up in curiosity. The animals were wild, they had always acted like this, as far as he knew. They were free to run around and play with each other. The human shook his head, when Junhong told him this. His voice was panicked, “No, Junhong. She’s scared.”

Junhong looked at the doe and frowned, seeing that Youngjae was correct.

They both froze when they heard a rustling sound from the bushes, which made her bolt immediately. Youngjae instinctively shoved Junhong away.

“Run!” he shouted, recognising the face that appeared from behind a tree. He grabbed Junhong’s arms, pulling him along as he sprinted for cover.

Youngjae barely made it a metre before he felt Junhong slow behind him, his footsteps stuttering. He turned, eyes widening in horror as he saw red bloom through the back of the nymph’s pure white shirt, his entire body going cold when he heard a quiet gasp leave Junhong’s mouth. The nymph stumbled and fell to his knees, his hand weakly lifting behind him, reaching for the arrow.

“,” Youngjae blinked through tears that were already surfacing. Through his periphery, he could see Sanghyun approaching – a cocky smirk on his face – but he didn’t care, dropping to his knees beside the fallen nymph. Even through Junhong’s shirt, the metal arrow pierced through his left side.

Sanghyun always was a good shot; he was the village’s best hunter. Even though he shot from Junhong’s back, there was no doubt that the arrow had pierced Junhong deep. Blood seeped from the wound, through his shirt, and dripped onto the ground.

Youngjae had never been so horrified.

“No, no, no,” he whispered desperately. “It’s okay, you’ll be okay, Junhong. Yongguk won’t let you die.” He held Junhong’s hand tightly, making sure it was still warm, “Yongguk will come soon. He will. He will kill Sanghyun for doing this.” With his spare hand, the human wiped his eyes. “Junhong, you won’t die,” he said fiercely, hoping that this was one promise he could keep.

Junhong looked at him, his own eyes wet with tears.

“M’forest,” he whispered, his own hold on Youngjae’s hand weakening. “Look after it.”

Sanghyun finally approached, easily lifting Youngjae up by the collar of his shirt, and throwing him backwards, towards the rest of his hunting group. Youngjae had not even realised there were others.

“A nymph?” the man said, looking over Junhong. Junhong tried to crawl away with what little energy he had left, but all of his blood was being drained from the wound. Before he could move too far, Sanghyun delivered a kick to his stomach, sending him sprawling on his back.

Youngjae screamed, struggling to escape the tight hold on his arms. He thrashed, hot and angry tears rushing down his cheeks.

The nymph had never looked so small, curling up under Sanghyun.

“Please,” Youngjae begged, his voice raw from how loud he was shouting. “You can’t do this, Sanghyun. Lord Yongguk is his lover. He will destroy you.”

“I suppose I should put him out of his misery,” the man said, ignoring the boy. He picked up the bloody arrow from beside the nymph, his finger tracing through the blood on the tip. Junhong was shocked silent, eyes filled with fear, as he stared helplessly at the man above him. Sanghyun smirked, seeing the terror in his eyes, and the tremble in his bones.

“Do not forget, Youngjae,” the man sang, eyes flickering towards the struggling human. “You will be executed for your crime against the village.”

“I don’t know him. He is a stranger to me,” Junhong rasped, and Youngjae snapped his head towards him. Even now, the nymph was trying to protect him.

Youngjae’s scream rang through the forest when Sanghyun slammed the arrow down, and Junhong stopped breathing.

 


 

remember that yongguk is literally the god of death; this isnt the end!