Summer 2/3

A Year's Worth

 

Summer 2/3

 


 

Yongguk cried until the late morning, bringing his pillows to his chest and mourning his lover. He could not believe what he had done – but he did not have one ounce of regret in his body. It was what Junhong would have wanted.

By now, Jongup would have noticed and told Himchan – but he dreaded Youngjae finding out. Youngjae had known Junhong for almost all of his life, and would undoubtedly take the news of his death – his real death – badly.

He knew the news had broken through the castle when he heard a loud cry, and he buried his face into Junhong’s pillow.

His beloved nymph was gone. Yongguk would never see his bright smile ever again, or have the younger console him when he lost control of his emotions. He would never see the nymph grow another flower, or run through the meadows into his arms. He only hoped the nymph was having that much fun in Asphodel with his nymphai, because he did not think he could ever feel that happy ever again.

Even as Yongguk heard angry footsteps thud down the hallway, he did not move as Youngjae burst through the door and surged towards him. The human had a crazed look in his eyes as he lunged forward to grab the god by his collar, pinning him to a wall. He had gained a sudden power from his anger, but it helped that Yongguk did not try to fight back.

Instead, the god hung limply from his hold.

You had no right!” Youngjae yelled, red in the face. There were tear stains on his cheeks already – and they rolled down even as he spoke. “He wanted to live and you killed him!”

Yongguk heaved a shuddering breath, his eyes as swollen as the human’s. He casted his gaze down to the floor, even as Youngjae hit him over and over again, attacking him for killing his best friend. The human dropped Yongguk to the floor and closed his eyes, choking on his sobs.

“Y-You are no different to Sanghyun,” he gasped through large breaths. “How could you even call him your lover?” he shouted, shaking Yongguk’s collar. “You did not deserve him.”

“I know,” Yongguk whispered quietly. There was nothing else he could say.

Did you even love him?” Youngjae demanded, landing hits on the god’s chest. “How could you make that choice for him?”

“He wanted it,” Yongguk said numbly. He was still thinking of his lover, hopefully now in the forests of Asphodel, reuniting with his brother and parents, and meeting other nymphs. He dropped his head, “I only wanted to keep him happy.”

You made him happy,” Youngjae cried brokenly. He fell to his knees, the hard floor bruising his skin. “How could you not know that?”

Yongguk felt his throat constrict, and struggled for air. How could he comfort Youngjae, when he caused this? He could not defend himself from the human’s hits, when he was right. Yongguk did kill Junhong, but it was only because he loved him.

He loved the nymph so much. Bur he knew that Junhong would never be happy with him, even if he tried. Yongguk wasn’t enough for him.

Life in Asphodel would be better than no life at all.

Unable to console the human in front of him, who had collapsed out of anguish, he fled the Underworld without a word.

Without Junhong, nothing mattered anymore.

 

Jongup was the first to Youngjae’s side, realising that Yongguk had left for the Surface again. He teleported to the human, leaving Himchan and Daehyun to run up, and knelt down next to him, offering him a shoulder to cry on. Youngjae flinched away, and Jongup backed off.

Himchan and Daehyun had run upstairs, only to witness Youngjae lash out at the messenger god, who took the hit without defending himself.

“You must have led him there, right?” the human accused, and Jongup did not reply. Daehyun ran and held Youngjae back from hitting the god again, forcing his arms against his sides. Youngjae thrashed, but Daehyun held him tight, even as Himchan joined them. He was expecting the half-god to threaten Youngjae, but the Atlantean was unexpectedly silent.

Jongup did not acknowledge the boy’s claims, allowing him to think what he did, even if it was not the truth.

“Yongguk acted alone, based on his own beliefs, Youngjae,” Himchan told the human, wiping his eyes. “We are as upset as you are, but... Yongguk is the lord of death...” He flinched when Youngjae’s nostrils flared and he struggled against Daehyun’s hold.

“How dare you suggest what he did was right!” the human spat, his entire body surging towards the half-god if not for Daehyun’s grip. “Yongguk did not even know Junhong for a year!” Youngjae shouted, voice raw. His fingers dug into Daehyun’s arms, “Junhong was not the only family he had left!” the human cried, sobs taking over his voice. He could no longer breathe, and Daehyun hugged him tightly.

“Youngjae, we can return to the Surface and live our lives in the forest,” he said quietly. “We do not have to come back here.”

“Of course we do,” Youngjae snapped, no longer looking at Himchan and Jongup. He regretted attacking Jongup but was still angry. “All humans die.”

“But then we’ll be in Elysium,” Daehyun said calmly, trying to soothe him. “Not here.”

“We are only entering Elysium if we continue to follow Yongguk’s orders.” Youngjae shook his head, glaring holes the floor, “I will no longer serve him. I do not care if I end up in Asphodel, or even Tartarus. I cannot forgive him for this.”

Daehyun swallowed and rubbed the man’s shoulders. He had not known Junhong for long, but he knew that Youngjae loved him like a brother. Youngjae’s family had always left him alone since he was born – his mother, his father, and his grandmother – and just when he thought Junhong would stay with him forever, he had died too.

“I am with you. No matter what,” he said softly.

Youngjae looked at him, with wide eyes, before burying his face in his shirt. “He’s gone, Daehyun,” Youngjae whimpered quietly, and the man shifted to press a kiss to his forehead, before letting him cry little desperate sobs. “My Junhong...”

Daehyun looked up at Himchan and Jongup, who nodded at him before disappearing, allowing him to comfort Youngjae alone. He rested his head on top of Youngjae’s, closing his eyes and giving him everything he needed.

 

It didn’t take long for them to move. Youngjae wanted to leave as soon as he could talk without sobbing. Daehyun steadied his body, supporting him as he told Jongup to bring them back up to the Surface.

Youngjae stood there, clinging onto Daehyun and avoiding eye contact with Himchan and Jongup, even as he spoke to them. He knew it was not their fault that Junhong died, but he could not help but feel betrayed at the same time.

“We will always welcome you back,” Himchan murmured, and the human nodded wordlessly, before Jongup took both of their hands and transferred them back to land. He would not be back until late night either, too busy doing Yongguk’s tasks for the day.

Himchan released a soft sigh, falling back on one of the stairs. It had been a while since he was the only one in the Underworld – usually Yongguk or Jongup would be there, but for the past few days, Junhong, Youngjae and Daehyun were too.

It would be lonely without Junhong, Himchan thought sadly. If he was already missing the nymph, he couldn’t imagine the pain that Youngjae and Yongguk were feeling. But he supposed he understood what Yongguk was thinking, when he sent his lover to the Underworld. Perhaps Junhong dying and returning to a forest would be better than living miserably.

When Junhong was alive, Himchan had thought they weren’t so different – they were both trapped in the Underworld. But Himchan’s heart did not yearn for land, like Junhong’s did, and he could go up to the Surface any time he wanted, as long as he was with Jongup.

The half-god sighed as he walked up the stairs, towards the bedroom he shared with the messenger god. He knew it was wrong, but guilt settled in his stomach. If he was skilled enough to heal Junhong, Yongguk would not have had to send him off, and Youngjae would not be so distraught.

He opened the door of the bedroom and walked in, sitting down on the bed stiffly. From his position, he could see outside, to the three islands. His heart clenched when his eyes fell on the middle island.

He wondered if Junhong was truly happy there.

He had no doubt that Yongguk was wondering the same thing, wherever he was.

Himchan would miss Junhong – but with his death came the disappearance of others as well. Not only did Youngjae and Daehyun leave out of pure resentment for Yongguk, Yongguk would be absent for days, or weeks, immersed in his depression. Even Himchan’s lover would disappear, taking care of all of Yongguk’s forgotten tasks.

Himchan didn’t blame Yongguk – but he knew the next few days, even months, would be like this. The Atlantean sighed quietly, hoping that Jongup would not be too overworked in Yongguk’s grief, but he already knew what would happen.

Even though Jongup was responsible and diligent, it would not be possible for him alone to cover all of Yongguk’s tasks. The responsibilities of the God of Death were extensive, and even when both gods worked together, they could only just complete their daily tasks. If this continued for long, the deaths would pile up, and Jongup would have to find someone else who could help him complete the tasks, or risk uncollected souls roaming the Surface, haunting their past enemies.

And if that happened, everything would end in a meeting in Olympus to evaluate whether Yongguk truly was the best fit for the Underworld.

And if he wasn’t...

All three of them would be forced to move.

And whilst Jongup and Yongguk could easily be accepted into Olympus, Himchan – as a mere half-god – would have to live on the Surface again, where Yongnam was. The Atlantean had no doubt that Jongup would live with him on the Surface without a second’s thought, but a life running away from Yongnam did not seem like much of a life at all.

Not only that, but losing their home would destroy Jongup. He had grown up in the Underworld for millennia, and having it ripped away from him in mere days

Jongup would be overcome with grief.

Himchan squeezed his eyes shut, trying not to think about it. That many deaths would only happen when there was a war, or a famine. It would be years before he would have to worry about it again.

They would not lose their home.

 

The news came eight days later.

Himchan was lying in bed as he did nowadays, half-asleep with nothing else to do. He usually tried not to fall asleep until his lover was home, wanting to greet him and praise him for the work he did that day.

Yongguk had been missing for a week now, and had not returned to the Underworld even once – leaving Jongup absolutely swamped with work. Himchan knew Yongguk was suffering, but it was a selfish act, not leaving someone else to help Jongup. The messenger god had come home later and later with each day, but Himchan tried to greet him lovingly every time, even though Jongup could only kiss him once before passing out in exhaustion.

The Atlantean was woken by a body weighing down on the mattress beside him, and he turned around immediately. He felt the messenger god instantly hold onto his hips, and he looked up with a questioning look. Jongup looked solemn – more than usual, somehow – and his eyes were downcast.

“What’s wrong?” Himchan asked in concern, pushing himself even closer so he could press a kiss over Jongup’s eyelids.

Jongup sighed softly, but it carried a heavy weight.

“The gods wish to evaluate us,” he murmured, holding Himchan tighter when the half-god froze. “This heat has killed more humans than we could have imagined, and their souls roam the Earth in hoards. I alone cannot stop them.”

“Why are there so many?” Himchan whispered, not wanting to believe it.

“They revolted against their punishment,” Jongup said quietly. “They cursed Yongguk. So Yongnam punished them.”

Himchan wasn’t sure if he could hear properly.

Yongnam?”

“Indeed...” Jongup sighed again. “He removed all moisture from the air, only increasing the heat. They are dying faster, but their deaths are cursing us.” Himchan’s eyebrows furrowed, not knowing how to feel about it. He did not think Yongnam would be so immature as to make Yongguk even more hated by the public.

“He did not do it with malicious intent,” Jongup said, knowing what Himchan was thinking. “It is surprising, but... He told me that he was only punishing them for treason.”

Himchan looked unimpressed, “And you believed him?” he snapped.

Jongup swallowed timidly, his hand curling around Himchan’s wrist. “He told me that he wishes to speak with you.”

“No,” the Atlantean refused immediately, anger flaring. How could Jongup even think that he would agree? After everything Yongnam had done to his family, to Junhong, and to him? He hadn’t had freedom in centuries because of the god.

“That is okay too,” His lover assured him instantly, sensing his panic. He cupped his cheek and kissed him softly as an apology for the suggestion, but Himchan could not relax – not even if Jongup poured all of his love to him. Yongnam was still pursuing him, after Himchan had made it crystal clear that he was uninterested.

But he knew Jongup would not have brought it up, if it was not important. Jongup detested Yongnam as much as he did.

“What does he want?” Himchan said finally – and he could not believe he was even considering it. Jongup looked at him, before kissing his forehead.

“To apologise,” he answered. “I do not like it, but he said I could be present, to protect you. And... he is one of the gods who will evaluate us, so I do not wish to anger him before the meeting.”

Himchan took a sharp breath, trying not to show how hesitant he was.

“I-I suppose,” he mumbled, looking down. Jongup could probably hear how loud his heart was pounding, because of how scared he was. His lover gazed at him in silence, before entwining their fingers together.

“I’m proud of you,” he said simply, and Himchan squeezed his eyes shut. Jongup’s words were little comfort, but they were well-intended. “Tomorrow, then,” Jongup said, and Himchan hid a wince.

“Let’s sleep,” he said in reply, and Jongup agreed, wrapping his hands around him and tucking his head into the crook of his neck. A soft kiss was placed on Himchan’s skin before the messenger god fell into his sleep, but the half-god could not sleep with the same ease.

He laid there awake for hours, staring at the ceiling and wondering how much power an innocent nymph had held.

 

Above the Surface, Youngjae was wondering the same thing.

“We are fortunate you managed to corner the God of the Seas,” Daehyun told him, as they relaxed inside a rock pool. The water lapped at their bare stomachs, and Youngjae gazed upon Daehyun.  Initially, he was embarrassed to remove all but his undergarments in front of the elder boy, but Daehyun had done the same without a moment’s hesitation, allowing Youngjae to look over his beautifully tanned skin and slight muscles. If he moved suddenly, he could sometimes feel his leg brush against Daehyun’s.

He wondered for a moment how Junhong would react if he knew that Youngjae was half- with his ‘prince,’ his body barely hidden.

But he cast his thoughts away immediately.

He looked up at the other man.

“I do not believe he is very fond of me,” the human answered, smiling without any humour. “But I suppose that is the least of my worries.”

The smirk on Daehyun’s face was much more amused, as he recalled how Youngjae had pelted stones into the Seas, screaming for Lord Yongnam to emerge. He had not expected the god to actually appear, but as Youngjae’s screams only increased in volume, the god eventually showed up. And whilst Daehyun had expected the Sea God to be irrational, arrogant and insulting – he had even prepared himself to protect Youngjae from any of Yongnam’s potential attacks – Yongnam was surprisingly patient and understanding as he listened to Youngjae’s pleas for help.

“I think he likes you,” Daehyun offered. “He did what you told him too, and even gave us a pool,” he gestured to the water, and Youngjae blushed in embarrassment, crossing his legs. Daehyun softened, and he moved closer to the other man. Their arms touched from the lack of distance between them, but Youngjae did not shy away. Daehyun took that as a good sign.

“When this is all over… will we talk? About us?” he asked quietly, and Youngjae looked up to see his expression, oddly shy and hesitant. They had not yet discussed their new relationship, even though they had shared numerous kisses and lingering touches over the past week.

“When this is over…” Youngjae echoed. He could not yet imagine it, but he gave Daehyun a small nod, watching as his prince’s lips curved into a hopeful smile.

 

Himchan did not sleep.

He watched Jongup’s eyes fluttered open, and the god’s hand settled on the small of his back. “Why did you not sleep, my love?” he said, voice still husky with sleep. Himchan turned his head slightly, not wanting to answer, and Jongup pressed his lips to the other’s forehead.

“I will be there with you. You do not have to fear Yongnam if I am there,” he said softly.

Himchan murmured, “And you will not leave? Not even once?”

“Not even once,” Jongup confirmed. “Now come and get ready with me,” he smiled so warmly that Himchan could not help himself but follow his lover down to the springs, where they would bathe. The sooner they got ready, the sooner they met Yongnam. The sooner it would be over.

Himchan was, yet again, lost in his thoughts as he watched Jongup step out of his clothes with ease. He did not make a move to strip, and when Jongup turned to face him, he was grateful that he smiled affectionately – understandingly – instead of becoming impatient.

The god laughed when Himchan clung onto him, not allowing him to remove his shirt yet. The half-god wrapped his arms around the other and buried his face into his shoulder.

“We can take as long as you want,” Jongup said softly. “I will not force you to meet Yongnam, if you truly do not wish to.”

“I want to. For you,” Himchan mumbled, and Jongup nodded.

A kiss was placed to the tip of Himchan’s forehead. “He said he will be here before noon.”

The half-god said nothing in reply, but finally relaxed so Jongup could pull his shirt over his head and remove his pants. They both entered the hot springs, releasing exhausted sighs as they did so.

The smoke covered half of their figures, but Himchan reached out to touch Jongup’s skin, and rest his head on the god’s shoulder. He took a breath, slow and deep, and closed his eyes, as Jongup’s arms circled his body and held him tight.

But he still could not sleep.

Usually, when Himchan and Jongup were alone in the Underworld, they had plenty of fun in the hot springs. Regularly. Multiple times, even. But today was not one of those days. Today, Himchan was not even sure he could leave the hot springs when Yongnam arrived.

He was not aware of how many minutes, or even hours had passed, when Jongup suddenly tensed under him. The half-god sat up straight and faced him, only to jolt back when he saw the messenger god’s eyes, blood red.

“Jongup,” he said urgently, shaking the man’s shoulders. Jongup was snarling, his head snapped in the direction of the castle’s entrance. Himchan gripped his wrist tightly, leading him out of the hot springs and finding their clothes from earlier. His hands were trembling as he gave the god his clothes, before dressing himself. Jongup was not in the right state to meet Yongnam, too filled with uncontrollable anger. Himchan did not have the time to worry about why, not when Yongnam was waiting for their presence.

“Calm down,” he said to Jongup, but it felt like he was speaking to himself. “We cannot appear in front of Yongnam like this.”

“You are no longer meeting him,” Jongup said sharply, looking at his lover.

Himchan’s anger flared, “I have been preparing for this all night.”

“He brought Hyunwoo with him,” the god said, and Himchan’s stomach dropped. He clenched his jaw, before shaking his head.

“I have prepared for this all night,” he repeated firmly, staring at his lover. He was not supposed to be afraid of his father, and he would not be intimidated away now.

If anything, he was curious what Yongnam was thinking when he brought Hyunwoo with him to the Underworld.

“You will protect me no matter what, correct?” he asked Jongup, and the messenger god nodded without any hesitation. Himchan smiled slightly at his lover’s devotion and kissed his lips quickly. “Then we do not have to worry.”

“I do not like this,” Jongup whispered, frown deepening, and Himchan shrugged lightly, before striding outside of the bathroom, where he could see the two gods immediately.

Yongnam’s expression lifted immediately, as it usually did whenever they saw each other, but Himchan ignored him. He was much more focused on his father, who was smirking with his arms crossed, much shorter than the Sea God beside him. Himchan had seen him recently, at Junhong’s dinner party, but he could not help the shiver of fear that passed through him every time his eyes landed on his father. Even if Hyunwoo hated him, they looked identical. The only difference between them was their hair – whereas Himchan’s hair was kept short, Hyunwoo’s dark, long locks were swept up into a neat ponytail.

Himchan stopped ten feet in front of them, not wanting to come any closer.

“My least favourite son,” Hyunwoo said coldly, quirking his eyebrow at Himchan. “Or, my only son.” His knee buckled when Yongnam delivered a swift kick to his leg, and he stumbled forward.

“Would you like to go to Tartarus for a second time?” the Sea God snapped, always defensive of the Himchan.

Himchan held in a frustrated sigh, wondering when Yongnam would give up on him. It had been centuries already.

“What do you want?” Himchan demanded, not caring for the two gods’ banter. “If you wish to argue, you may do so on the Surface.”

Yongnam’s attention shifted from Hyunwoo, back to Himchan, and Jongup stiffened from behind the half-god, always uncomfortable with Yongnam’s never-ending infatuation with his lover. Himchan ignored it, not caring about it, even when Yongnam’s gaze darkened. “I am here because I was approached by two humans on the Surface, who told me that you were not happy here.”

“I am happy here,” Himchan replied instantly, wondering how Youngjae and Daehyun had managed to contact the God of the Seas in a mere few days.

“You are not,” Yongnam said calmly, crossing his arms. “But it is because of Yongguk, not because of…” he looked at Jongup with disgust, as usual, “this mute.”

Jongup held back from attacking the god, which Himchan was grateful for.

“Yongguk has been neglecting his duties, because he is heartbroken,” Himchan said defensively. “We both understand his emotions and are trying to support him during this time. If you are here to criticise him, I do not wish to hear it.” Inwardly, he realised this was the longest he had even bothered to talk to Yongnam in hundreds of years, but it wasn’t so bad. Especially since his father was not adding to the conversation – mostly out of fear of the Sea God.

“I am not here to criticise. Stop drawing your own conclusions, my love,” Yongnam drawled. Jongup took one threatening step closer to him, before Himchan gripped his hand and held him back. Yongnam’s eyes flickered to their joined hands, before looking back up at Himchan. “I am here to solve your problems for you.”

“Solve them?” the half-god scoffed. “Sure.”

“Why else would I have brought your father?” Yongnam replied, in the same tone. He huffed, “I do not wish to inflict upon you any more pain, Himchan. Simply put, I have instructed your father to teach you how to heal Yongguk’s lover from death. He either does as I say, or is sent to Tartarus for eternity.”

Hyunwoo scowled but did not say anymore.

“Train me,” Himchan demanded immediately, striding closer to his father. He could not believe this was happening – he did not think it was possible. He had already tried healing Junhong from death, and it had not worked. “I am not powerful enough yet, but I will learn anything I need to, in order to save Junhong.”

Yongnam shoved Hyunwoo, and the man stumbled forward unwillingly. He steered clear of Himchan, clearly wanting nothing to do with him.

“You are strong enough already,” he growled lowly. “Of course you are, you are related to me.”

“I already tried healing him when he was here,” Himchan snapped, growing impatient. He did not know if there was a time limit on healing people from death. “It did not work, not even a little. I could not even feel the magic through my hands.”

“Because he was in this castle,” Hyunwoo replied, temper growing as quickly as Himchan’s impatience. He did not bother looking at his son, as if he wasn’t worth his time, and began pacing the room. “Yongguk has told this to you many times. You either arrive in the Underworld dead or alive, and you cannot die, even if you tried to kill yourself.”

Himchan swallowed, not knowing what to say. Yongguk had indeed told him that thousands of times, especially in the earlier years, when he had contemplated dying with his family, instead of continuing to live.

“But Yongguk is wrong,” Hyunwoo said sharply, looking up to see Himchan. He had never talked for his son for this long without insulting or assaulting him. “He does not know that you can die in the Underworld. Just not in this castle. The castle rejects any phase from life to death, or death to life. That is why you could not revive Yongguk’s courtesan, even if you tried.”

“Do not call him that,” Jongup growled. “Junhong is royalty here.” Himchan would have said the same, if Hyunwoo’s words were not reeling through his head.

“How could you know that?” he asked Hyunwoo. “How could you know that, when the Lord of Death himself, does not?”

“Because the fool has never thought of it.” His father replied, and he stopped his pacing. He shrugged nonchalantly, “Of course, it is a simple conclusion. If I were to send you to Asphodel, you would be accepted instantly, even if you were alive. So, you would have died, despite being in the Underworld.”

Himchan quietened, thinking to himself quietly. Hyunwoo would not spell out the answer for him – at least, without insulting his intelligence loudly. But three pairs of eyes now tracked his movement, waiting for him to come to a conclusion.

“So the islands are the only places where I can revive Junhong,” he said finally, after a minute’s silence. “They are the only places in the Underworld that allow a shift from life to death, and death to life.”

“Finally, you idiot,” Hyunwoo muttered, and Himchan winced. Jongup’s eyes flashed red, but it was Yongnam who delivered a sharp knock to the elder man’s head. Hyunwoo’s chest rumbled in rage, but he visibly swallowed his anger. He took a deep breath, clenching his fists by his sides.

“N-No,” Himchan whispered. “But I was so close.”

“You may still heal him,” Hyunwoo offered, without a moment’s hesitation. “After all, you may still go to Asphodel.”

Himchan’s eyes widened, and he looked enlightened. “Then let’s go,” he said to Jongup, already beginning to walk towards the castle door. He was jolted back by a tight grip on his wrist, and Jongup glared at Hyunwoo, before looking at Yongnam.

Jongup did not trust the Sea God completely – he never would – but he could at least trust him with protecting Himchan from his father.

“We cannot go with him, because we are gods,” he said quietly to Yongnam. “Do you think it is wise for him to go alone?”

“Do you not trust your lover?” Hyunwoo sneered, and his confidence was answer enough. There was no way he would willingly offer his son an option with no consequences for him.

Yongnam tackled the older man, holding him by the collar against the floor. “What do you have planned?” he snarled, but Jongup had already realised.

“Sending Himchan to Asphodel alone would kill him, would it not?” Jongup said, louder than Himchan had ever heard him in front of other people, and Yongnam slammed Hyunwoo’s head against the floor of the castle.

Hyunwoo managed to stay silent throughout it all, as Himchan froze in his place.

“He would not do that to me, would he?” he whispered, eyes flickering to Jongup’s. He knew his father hated him, but to want him dead… He swallowed, hoping it was not the case. “No, my father has revived people before. Not just from Tartarus, but from Asphodel as well. He would not send me there to kill me.”

“Your father is a god, Himchan,” Yongnam spoke, and his eyes had softened as they gazed at the half-god. “He is immortal, and would not die, even if he entered Asphodel. You would.”

The half-god’s eyes were filling up with tears as the realisation dawned on him, “No… This isn’t the only way to save Junhong. There has to be another way,” he trembled, and Hyunwoo smirked from his position on the floor.

“Unfortunately not, my son,” he said mockingly, and Yongnam punched him across the face, just wanting him to shut up. He was obviously in a rage, veins throbbing on his neck, as if he was distressed for bringing Himchan a flawed solution to all his problems.

“I should have realised he was going to pull a trick,” the God of the Seas said, in disbelief of the trust he had placed in Hyunwoo. “He was too willing to help you when I asked.”

Himchan’s breathing had quickened, and Jongup raced over to where he was standing, next to the door.

“It’s okay, my love, we have tried,” he soothed the half-god, but Himchan could not hear him, too focused on the body on the floor.

Hyunwoo may have been trying to trick him, but he was right.

Himchan began whispering to himself, suddenly gripping onto Jongup’s hands with equal fervour. Even with the gods’ superior hearing, they could not understand a word he was saying, until he suddenly jolted forward into Jongup’s arms, kissing him like his life depended on it.

Jongup pulled away when he felt the wetness of his lover’s tears and instantly started worrying.

“Himchan,” he said desperately, “What’s wrong?”

“My love… this is a choice I must make. For you,” the half-god said quietly, holding onto his lover’s hands.

“What are you talking about?” Jongup asked helplessly, lost, but Himchan was already shaking his head.

“You and Yongguk will both be ostracised by the gods if this continues any longer,” the Atlantean said, hiccupping. Jongup’s grip on his hands tightened again in worry, so much so that Himchan would have claimed it hurt, if he could even focus on the pain. “You have been so busy lately,” he told Jongup, his voice breaking as he watched as the god’s eyebrows furrow in confusion. Himchan held his hands as tightly, not wanting to let go. “You have not slept, you have not eaten. Because you are too busy doing Yongguk’s job.”

Jongup glanced at Yongnam, to gauge if he knew what was happening, but the Sea God looked just as confused.

Hyunwoo looked as if he couldn’t care.

“I cannot let you both lose your home,” Himchan trembled, the tears flowing down his cheeks. “I will bring Junhong back to Yongguk.”

“No!” the shout ripped from Jongup’s chest, and he held Himchan close to him. “Are you crazy?” he demanded, his voice thundering through the castle. “You have no responsibility over Yongguk’s heartbreak!”

Himchan smiled sadly, and pressed his wet cheek against Jongup’s. “But I have a responsibility to protect you, my love. I cannot allow you to lose your home.”

“I do not care about the Underworld,” Jongup promised him, scrambling to hold Himchan close even as the half-god was pulling away. “No no no no no,” he chanted, holding his lover close to his chest. “Himchan,” he voice cracked, and he buried his face into the half-god’s neck. “Please.”

“The people of the Surface deserve to have gods who are as selfless and kind as you and Yongguk,” Himchan spoke softly. “And that will only happen if I bring Junhong back.”

“No,” Jongup shook his head. “Y-You cannot leave now. Stay,” he begged, stumbling over his words. “Not when we were… I was going to ask you to marry me,” he cried.

Himchan choked on his cry, and Jongup shook his head. “Please. Don’t leave, my love. We can… We can find another way. Another healer.” He was babbling in his panic, saying anything that would convince his lover to stay with him.

“There is no other healer,” Himchan whispered, kissing his nose softly. He glanced at Yongnam, from where the god had risen from the floor. The god neared the couple uncertainly, as if unsure he was allowed to approach them.

“If you truly loved me, Yongnam, you would let me go,” Himchan told the god shakily, even as Jongup’s hold tightened around him. “You would help me.”

The Sea God swallowed, but nodded stiffly.

Jongup was wailing now, pressing Himchan to his chest and refusing to let go. He could not stop, even if he tried – he could not survive a life without Himchan. His lover. His soulmate.

With all the strength in his body, Himchan ripped the messenger god’s hands away, and Yongnam surged forward to hold the thrashing body back.

Without another word, or a glance back, Himchan exited the castle, walking away from his lover.

Himchan!” Jongup cried, and the castle shook with the messenger god’s power. It was only through sheer luck that Yongnam was holding him back. Himchan knew that he would not have the strength to hold him back for long.

The half-god hurried towards the boat at the edge of Yongguk’s island, stepping inside and using the oar to steer it in the direction of the middle island. Eventually, the waves would bring him towards Asphodel without any need for assistance, but Himchan needed something to do with his hands, even if the oar clattered in his trembling hold.

He heard an explosion but forced himself to look straight ahead. He could not look back, or he would instantly return to Jongup’s arms.

But when silence had fallen, and he had reached the middle of the river, he could not help but look back at the castle he had called home for centuries.

He choked when he saw it.

The castle had collapsed from Jongup’s sheer power – from the clash between two gods fighting – leaving nothing but black stone, and dust. Himchan swallowed, blinking back tears when he saw his lover, sinking on his knees by the edge of the river.

His heart broke when he heard Jongup’s final cry.

But he carried on.

 


This is littered with mistakes because I wrote this an hour ago and haven't had it beta-ed yet. 

One more chapter left!!! Leave a comment!! :D