Spring 1/3

A Year's Worth

 

Spring 1/3

 


 

Together, Himchan and Junhong relentlessly planned the party for the following two months, sorting out decorations, catering, and access to the Underworld. They had settled on a floral theme, in honour of Junhong's last night, and the Underworld opened all barriers for Olympus's gods and goddesses.

Catering was much more difficult. Neither Himchan nor Junhong could actually eat any of the food in the Underworld, so they had to drag Yongguk and Jongup to try some of the samples. The event would be catered by supposedly the best of Olympus's chefs, the fae. Junhong was slightly disappointed that he would not be eating, but all his disappointment was overshadowed by his excitement for the party next week.

“Is it delicious?” he asked Yongguk, watching him eat some sort of cake dusted with specks of gold. His eyes were wide with fascination, but Yongguk angled the dessert away from him.

“It is,” the man said, but he was frowning. "The gold could be a hazard though. What if some of the golden dust lands on your tongue?” He shook his head and set the unfinished sample down. “We cannot serve this.”

Junhong smiled at his lover's paranoia, but said nothing. Even if it was amusing, he was grateful that Yongguk was looking out for him.

The nymph his lips, looking at the hundreds of other food samples spread on the long table in front of them. “Perhaps we could bring some of the leftover food up to the Surface the next day,” he suggested hopefully. “Youngjae and I would certainly enjoy it.”

“Of course you may,” Yongguk agreed, taking another sample from the next tray. It had been over two hours, and he hadn’t even tried half of the samples yet.

Becoming slightly bored, Junhong moved himself to face Yongguk, silently asking for a kiss. To his surprise, Yongguk just turned his head slightly, refusing to comply with his wishes.

"You know I wouldn't deny you usually," the god said, and Junhong pouted, wondering why he wasn’t kissing him right now. Yongguk looked truly apologetic, his hand reaching up to smoothen the nymph's blond hair, which had fallen over his eyes. He explained, his dark eyes showing how sorry he was, “I just ate, I cannot risk kissing you.”

Junhong nodded in understanding, relief replacing his confusion and hurt, and he darted forward to peck Yongguk's cheek instead. He sat back in his seat, sighing slightly as he gestured to the food, “It is unfortunate that Himchan will not be able to eat these.”

“Indeed,” Yongguk agreed. “But since Jongup has the day off, I would not be surprised if they sneak up to the Surface for a few moments, just to be alone.”

“Will Himchan be safe?” the nymph asked. He did not wish to speak of Yongnam, but he knew that the god was not invited to the party; Yongguk had thrown a table at his sister when she had subtly suggested it, saying that it would be a good opportunity to "bond." He had refused to talk to her after that, only calming down when Junhong knocked on his door and peppered his face with kisses to cheer him up.

Yongguk smiled, gazing at the nymph. “With Jongup, he will always be safe.”

 

“I cannot believe you are missing the weekly meeting!” Youngjae yelled, a wide grin spreading on his face. He was holding a bunch of nets in his hands, climbing down from the rocks to run towards Daehyun, standing in the distance.

Daehyun watched him with adoration in his eyes, as the other boy slowed to a stop in front of him. The sand was soft against their bare feet, but the winds were harsh, and Youngjae struggled to keep the hair out of his eyes as he looked at Daehyun.

“I have to accompany my favourite villager as he saves our people from hunger,” Daehyun teased, loving how Youngjae's eyes crinkled as he laughed.

“Come with me,” the boy dropped the nets on the sand and offered his hand out. Daehyun took it, holding tight. Youngjae immediately started running towards the rocks again, where he was before, and he let go of Daehyun's hand to climb up. Daehyun followed him without hesitation, although – like always – he was questioning Youngjae relentlessly.

“How will you catch fish from here?” he asked, his voice loud so that Youngjae could hear him over the winds. Youngjae watched him, making sure that he wouldn't fall off the rock they were climbing.

“I am not catching fish,” the boy answered honestly, taking a seat on top of one of the largest rocks. Beside him was a space that Daehyun took, and their thighs touched when they sat together.

Even as their legs hung off the rock’s ledge, Daehyun was not afraid – he had learnt over the past two months that Youngjae was wild, but he was not stupid. He loved nature to an almost ridiculous extent, but would not put himself in danger. Even now, the boy was staring out at the sea, watching the waves crash down and the water rush below them, slamming against sharp rocks that promised pain if the two fell. Daehyun watched as the smile slowly left Youngjae’s face, and the other boy looked down at his hands, almost sadly.

"Then what are we doing here?" he asked, eyes never leavi.g Youngjae’s face. Youngjae turned to him, eyes staring into his, when he dropped his head on Daehyun's shoulder tiredly.

"Relaxing," Youngjae answered softly, looking back at the ocean.

Daehyun was tense, too aware of Youngjae's head on his shoulder. He could not move, could barely even breathe. Every time the waves below them crashed against the rock they were sitting on, he could feel the cold splash on his toes. Youngjae’s body beside him was motionless, other than his shallow breaths.

Even if Daehyun was frozen still, he could not deny how much he was enjoying himself. He wasG thrilled that Youngjae was comfortable with him now, that he could finally make up for the distance between them for the past twenty years.

Unlike Daehyun, Youngjae’s entire body was filled with dread. He slumped against Daehyun, defeated. It was the last day of the winter, and he knew that they could not stay like this for much longer.

Daehyun was the village’s biggest star now. Everyone watched him with adoration in their eyes, for saving them from hunger. He reluctantly kept his promise to Youngjae and told nobody who invented the nets – but he did not claim credit for them either. Whenever he was asked how they were made, he changed the subject.

It was his honesty and loyalty that Youngjae’s liked him for – and it hurt to know that Daehyun would no longer need him, or want to see him, after this winter.

But Youngjae needed to ask him something while they were still friends. He needed Daehyun’s influence in the village, and his kindness – for Junhong.

"Did you mean it when you said I was your favourite villager?" the doe-eyed boy asked suddenly. His head lifted off Daehyun’s shoulder and he stared at him with wide, desperate eyes.

Daehyun startled. "What?"

"No – you have a family," the boy shook his head. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't ha–It was a joke," he said firmly, as if convincing himself. He forced himself to turn and look at the waves again, so looking at Daehyun wouldn’t make him cry. He would miss Daehyun so much. Daehyun was the most important person in the village to him; the only person in the village who mattered.

"Youngjae, you're my favourite person," Daehyun said honestly, watching as Youngjae's head snapped to look at him in disbelief. "You are. You are kind, and spontaneous, and unbelievably clever – the village is lucky to have you."

Youngjae brightened slightly, leaning back into Daehyun again, much to the other's relief. He felt a spark of hope. "You are my favourite villager as well, Daehyun."

Daehyun leant his head on Youngjae's and breathed in, taking in the scent of the sea, and Youngjae. He closed his eyes, feeling all tension leaving his body, when Youngjae suddenly spoke.

Youngjae was now tensed, biting his bottom lip nervously. He did not know how Daehyun would take his request, but he owed it to Junhong to try.

"I need to tell you something."

Daehyun sat up, and Youngjae looked at him worriedly, holding his hands in his lap. His back was uncomfortably straight, and he was looking at him earnestly.

"After today… the weather will become warmer again," the boy started. "You will no longer need to fish to survive, and the village will return to normal. You probably will not talk to me again either, but that is alright. I just need… I need you to stop the village from hunting."

"What are you talking about?" Daehyun's eyebrows furrowed, his heartrate beginning to pick up.

"The Lord of the Underworld, Lord Yongguk, came to see me when this weather began," Youngjae said, speaking faster and faster. "His lover is trapped in the Underworld, and he created this winter as revenge for his brother who trapped him there. His lover is a nymph, his name is Junhong. He is my best friend." Youngjae turned his head, forcing himself to see Daehyun's reaction. The other boy was frozen, his eyes wide and jaw clenched.

"Ever since I was five, I visited him weekly in the forest, and he fed me fruit, taught me how to thread flower stalks, and listened to me when no one else would. He is kind. And so is Lord Yongguk," Youngjae rushed to say. Anxiety seeped into his veins, unsure how Daehyun would take the news. "Lord Yongguk did not wish death upon this village, and hence instructed me–"

"You allowed this to happen?" Daehyun said in shock, staring at Youngjae. His eyes were devoid of any emotion, of any affection, and Youngjae flinched, feeling tears surface.

"I did not wish for it," he answered, heart pounding when Daehyun did not immediately receive the news well. "Lord Yongguk gave me no choice."

“But your best friend is a nymph who cursed this village, correct?” Daehyun said coldly, already standing up. Youngjae hurried to stand as well, but Daehyun was already climbing down from the rock.

"He did not curse the village–" the boy said, but was immediately cut off.

"Enough," Daehyun growled. "I've heard enough. I should've known you weren't so impossibly clever as to invent the nets."

"I invented them!" Youngjae yelled, frustration and betrayal pouring out of him. "I did!"

"Did your precious nymph tell you to say that?" Daehyun scoffed. "Nymphs are our village’s enemy, Youngjae. I thought you knew that. They are cruel; we are starving because of them," he sneered. He turned around and started walking back towards the village.

"They are not cruel!" the boy shouted, storming after the other. He pushed Daehyun backwards, forcing him to turn around. Daehyun’s eyes widened at the rage in his voice, but they narrowed again. "They are kind, and caring, and they have been murdered by us!"

"Then clearly you are not one of us, Youngjae," Daehyun said quietly. He was staring at the boy before him with new eyes, but unlike the other, he was not crying. He could not believe that this boy, whom he had loved for years, could be the village’s traitor.

Youngjae could feel hot tears running down his cheeks, and he wiped them away harshly.

"I cannot believe I was ever infatuated with you," he snapped angrily, shoving past Daehyun as he ran back towards the village. He did not stop by his hut – instead, he ran back into the forest, going into the meadows to try and find Jongup.

He would be fine without Daehyun. He had lived twenty good years without the stupid prince, and he could live twenty more. He did not care if Daehyun told the rest of the village, and they casted him out, or even if they threatened to starve him. All he needed was Junhong.

When he ran into the meadow and could not see the messenger god anywhere, he fell at the trunk of the pomegranate tree, holding back his sobs.

 

Junhong had never been around so many people, even when his nymphai were alive. All of Olympus’s gods accepted their invitations, and they all crowded the castle’s first floor. According to Himchan, it was the biggest turnout in centuries – he told Junhong that everyone had come, mostly to see the nymph who had stolen Yongguk’s heart.

The nymph was playing with a floral chain decorated the staircase’s banisters, wishing he could smoothen a crumpled petal. The decorations were all made from some synthetic material, and many guests had commented on how real they looked. But Junhong could not relate at all; when he reached out to feel them, he couldn’t feel any life.

Still, he found them beautiful. Looking at them, he was reminded of the night three months ago, when he had made himself and Yongguk matching crowns out of his own flowers. Pink and white flower chains hung from the ceiling, and flower bouquets were the centrepiece of every table. Junhong had even suggested offering the gods and goddesses flower crowns of their own, but Yongguk had refused.

(“The crowns are for us only,” he had murmured, sealing Junhong’s lips with a kiss as sweet as nectar.

Junhong had smiled and said nothing, returning his kiss passionately.)

The party was officially underway, having started two hours ago, but gods and goddesses were still filing in now, all sipping from wine glasses or champagne flutes as they listened to Yongguk’s address. Even now, Junhong was listening to Yongguk speak to the public, his voice strong and clear. For appearance purposes, he was wearing one of his crowns – a golden piece laden with diamonds – as well as a golden, silk tunic. The gold was regal against his pitch-black trousers.

Junhong thought he looked beautiful – like how a god should look.

“This all would not have been possible without Junhong,” Yongguk said proudly, eyes meeting the nymph from the staircase. Everyone followed his gaze, staring at Junhong, who froze under the attention. A small smile formed on Yongguk’s lips at the sight of the startled nymph.

Junhong’s mind was blank, but he gave his lover a shy smile in response.

He loved Yongguk. If he wanted to spend the rest of eternity with him, he would have to get used to attention, from both humans and gods.

Yongguk looked at the crowd’s faces once again. “He has relentlessly planned this night, and I could not be prouder of him.” He lifted his wine glass as a toast, his eyes focusing on the nymph again. Even as he brought the glass to his lips, he did not stop his gaze.

Junhong could not help his blush when the gods all stared at him as they downed their drinks. As soon as Yongguk stepped down from the staircase, whispers broke out amongst them, and Junhong looked down at the fake flower chain in his hands, wishing to be on the Surface. There, nobody criticised or scorned him for loving Yongguk.

He watched his lover approach him, the smile on his face dropping when he saw how nervous Junhong looked.

“What’s wrong, sweetling?” he murmured, his lips brushing over the nymph’s ear. He did not wish for anybody else to hear them.

“They are all scorning me,” the nymph mumbled, reaching out with his spare hand and curling his fingers into Yongguk’s shirt. The flower chain crumpled in his other hand out of frustration.

Yongguk returned his embrace without hesitation, even if everybody in the room was watching them. “Perhaps they are,” he said honestly, and Junhong’s stomach sunk. The god smiled and tilted his head up to press a kiss to Junhong’s nose, “but I truly believe that if at least one person isn’t admiring how beautiful you look, then we should cancel the event.”

To his relief, Junhong laughed, a light sound that never failed to make him smile as well. He ran his hand over Junhong’s sleeve, admiring the embroidered flowers on his silk tunic, and hummed. “Perhaps we should ask Himchan if you could keep this,” he said thoughtfully.

Junhong grinned, lacing their fingers together. “Or perhaps we should talk to the other gods, to thank them for coming.”

Around them, gods and goddesses were lulling about, clearly trying to have conversations with each other whilst eavesdropping on the two.

“It seems like you are already fit to become a god,” Yongguk said. He watched Junhong carefully, to see if the suggestion of marriage would scare him.

“I only wish to spend eternity with you,” he replied simply.

Yongguk’s eyes widened slightly, before he relaxed, gazing at the younger affectionately. Hiding a dopey smile, Yongguk slipped his hand down to Junhong’s back, leading him through the crowd. The other gods parted naturally for him – it seemed that, even though everybody wanted to talk about Yongguk and Junhong, nobody actually wanted to talk to them.

Last time he checked, Natasha was in a drinking with the god of wine, and Himchan and Jongup were nowhere to be seen. Yongguk supposed they were up on the Surface, but it seemed odd that they would miss his opening speech, especially since Himchan had planned the event so thoroughly.

"Lord Yongguk!" Both Yongguk and Junhong heard a sweet voice call, and looked up to see a beautiful girl approach them. The nymph blinked in surprise. She wore a sweet smile, as well as a stunning dress; Junhong didn't know much about fashion, having lived his entire life in the forest, but he could tell that the dress – a deep green and trailing behind her – was beautiful. The sleeves of her dress even looked like vines, twisting down her arms. When she came closer, Junhong could see that her eyes were also the same shade of royal green, but when she was looking at him, her eyes were already welling up with tears. She was still smiling, but it was wavering, like she was trying her best not to cry.

"Oh, Lord Junhong," she said, her voice sounding strangled. Junhong shot a panicked look at Yongguk, who was trying his best to hide a smile. Since when was he a lord?

Her bottom lip wobbled, and she steeled herself. “I told myself I wouldn’t cry,” she said to them, but it looked like she was already failing. As she took a moment to compose herself, Junhong looked her over once more. She was petite, with light brown hair that flowed past her shoulders. The nymph took a double-take when he saw her pointed ears – she looked like a sprite, but she was definitely a goddess too.

He wondered whom she married. He wondered who she even was.

“I would like to explain and apologise,” she said finally. Junhong blinked. “Yongnam actually told me to bless the pomegranate which trapped you here, as a gift for Yongguk in the Underworld. I never knew of his true intentions, and I foolishly believed his words.” She lowered her head, looking apologetic.

Junhong remembered Yongguk explaining how Yongnam had managed to bless the pomegranate that trapped him here – by tricking the harvest goddess, Haseul. When he heard the news, he had felt sympathy for her.

"It's okay, Lady Haseul," he said. "You didn't know…"

"I'm really sorry," she said sincerely, clasping his hands in hers. "Truly. I will do anything to gain your forgiveness."

"I have already forgiven you,” the nymph blinked. "You didn't do it, so I never blamed you in the first place."

She stared at him, bottom lip trembling, and threw her arms over his neck. Junhong's eyes widened even further. Yongguk was hiding a laugh now.

"Let's not attack the young nymph," he said, finally rescuing Junhong from the goddess's clutches.

"Oh, of course!" she said, giving him a shaky smile. Junhong hoped she wouldn't start crying again. "I apologise, again. I am Haseul, goddess of the harvest. I hear you can create fruits as well."

Junhong perked up, suddenly interested.

"I can, but my specialty is creating flowers," he said. Yongguk smiled. He had not seen the nymph so excited about anything since three months ago.

Haseul nodded eagerly, “I’ve heard! All the goddesses in Olympus are greatly anticipating your return to the Surface, so you may resume creating more. This winter has been dreadful.”

“So I’ve heard,” Junhong said, glancing at Yongguk. The god had told him everything about his revenge, and whilst Junhong did not agree with it, he knew it was necessary to give Yongnam a warning. “I will gladly make bouquets for you, if that is your wish?”

“Oh, that sounds lovely,” Haseul clapped her hands together, delighted. “Perhaps you may also teach me how to grow flowers?”

“Teach you?” Junhong repeated.

“Of course, you do not have to!” she said hastily. “But I could also teach you how to grow even more fruit!”

Junhong shook his head, looking curious. “No, I would certainly teach you, if I knew how. I do not think I grow flowers, I simply create them.” He looked at Yongguk, pure excitement on his face. He looked adorable. “Could you teach me how to teach you? I have a friend on the Surface whom I would love to teach as well.”

“Of course!” Haseul exclaimed. “I could meet you there, sometime, and teach you both how to grow fruit.”

“My friend is human, could he still learn?” Junhong tilted his head.

“I don’t see why not,” the harvest goddess smiled. “Growing fruit takes much longer than creating them, but anyone can do it. It is the same with your flowers. If your friend on the Surface is patient, and as kind as you are, I am certain he will learn quickly.”

Junhong’s mouth was open, and he looked at Yongguk before looking back at Haseul. He gestured at a dining table. Most of the gods had decided to talk to each other whilst standing, leaving most of the seats empty.

“Shall we take a seat?”

 

One hour later, Haseul and Junhong were still talking to each other with enthusiasm about how they would teach Youngjae when he returned to the Surface the next day. Yongguk was with them, listening intently despite not fully understanding what they were talking about. He was just glad that Junhong was enjoying himself.

He hummed, wondering if he should throw an event similar to this one every year, if Junhong enjoyed it so much.

A sudden hush fell over the room, and the three sitting at the table looked up. The crowd parted, and Yongguk’s eyes widened as he saw Himchan and Jongup walk through, the half-god covering his face with his hand. Blood dripped down onto the floor beneath him, but his strides were fast and urgent.

“Hyunwoo,” was the only thing Jongup said when he was close enough, his fist clenched by his side.

Himchan moved his hand slightly to show a deep cut on his cheek, but cast his eyes on the ground. His eyes were rimmed red, and his hand was shaking.

Junhong jumped up to his feet immediately, rushing over to the Atlantean. His eyes were wide, and his hands hovered near Himchan’s face, as if wanting to heal it himself. Yongguk stared at the wound, seeing tiny glass shards still inside his skin.

“We need to go to Olympus,” Jongup said stiffly, only looking at Yongguk.

“You may,” Yongguk allowed, a worried frown on his face.

As soon as the words left his mouth, the two disappeared in front of him. Junhong’s mouth was open, shocked speechless.

“His father did that?” he finally spoke, voice ringing throughout the room. Whispers broke out between the gods, and Yongguk glared at them all when Junhong slapped a hand over his mouth, looking guilty.

“Continue,” he ordered the musicians, who scrambled for their instruments.

His gaze fell on the shocked sprite goddess, as well as Junhong, who was still staring at him, wanting an explanation. Haseul seemed worried, but she knew better than to meddle with the Lord’s business.

“It was lovely meeting you, Junhong,” she said, offering her hand to shake. Junhong blinked, and shook her hand politely. “I must find my husband now, but I will definitely keep in touch,” she promised. “I’ll see you on the Surface, okay?”

“See you then,” Junhong said brightly, but without his previous enthusiasm.

“Your lover is wonderful,” she told Yongguk, and the god shook her hand as well, offering her a tight-lipped smile, before she walked back into the crowd.

“When will Himchan be back?” Junhong whispered as soon as they were alone. Slowly, the gods and goddesses had turned back to their own conversations, uninterested in events they did not fully understand. When Yongguk did not reply, Junhong curled his fingers into the god’s shirt again, worried for the half-god who had welcomed him into the Underworld. Yongguk guided him through the crowd, and up the staircase to the second level.

“They will either be back in a few moments, or in a few hours,” Yongguk finally said, once he was sure they couldn’t be heard by the others. “Perhaps Himchan will be back at midnight, before you leave, so he can say goodbye.”

The nymph paused, and gasped. “O-oh, I forgot he cannot come see me on the Surface.”

“Indeed,” Yongguk murmured.

Junhong’s eyes fell. In the last three months, he had grown close to Himchan, and had gotten used to his suggestive antics. He’d even started to understand Jongup and Himchan’s silent, but loving, relationship. The nymph knew he’d miss Himchan in the next nine months, especially after they’d spent almost all their time together.

“Will you come see me often?” the nymph whispered suddenly, feeling cold. He searched Yongguk’s expression with anxious eyes.

The god stared up at Junhong, eyebrows pulling together. “Junhong…”

“I love the Surface, my lord,” Junhong said suddenly, “but I want to be with you all the time too.”

Yongguk ran his hand through his lover’s hair. “Nothing will change once you return to the Surface, young nymph, I promise you. I will be with you every moment I have spare,” he assured the younger, tilting his head up to kiss his nose. “You should be celebrating your return to the Surface, not worrying about matters like these,” he chastised.

Junhong nodded, turning his head slightly to look over the castle’s entrance room, its usual emptiness filled with people.

He felt Yongguk’s hand on his arm, and he looked back at the god. Yongguk was staring at the castle entrance, looking at Jongup and Himchan walk back through. Junhong followed his gaze, and lit up almost immediately.

Their bodies disappeared from the lower floor and they reappeared next to Junhong.

“Of course I would say goodbye,” Himchan said, and Junhong blinked. His wound was perfectly healed. Jongup was standing behind him, like always, but his attention was on the floor below them. He was searching through the gods and goddesses, most likely looking for Hyunwoo.

“He’s already left,” Yongguk murmured to the other god. Jongup pressed his lips, clearly unsatisfied.

“There are only three hours left until we must say goodbye for nine moons,” Himchan held Junhong’s wrist, pulling him towards the stairs. He did not pay attention to Yongguk and Jongup’s conversation, preferring to forget what had happened earlier. “There are a few more people here whom you should meet!”

 


 

I really appreciate comments!