five

Trolls, Jasmines and You

 

"Did you hear?" 

 

"What? Oh, about the CEO's son? Who hasn't heard?" 

 

"Yeah. He's like, in his twenties this year, apparently." 

 

"You know, rumors have it that he's the team leader of the team of trainees right below us." 

 

"Is he? No wonder it felt strange to me. That guy is like is like, what, only two measly years out of university? The rest of the team leaders have worked in the company for longer than that!" 

 

"I know! I mean, if he was really that capable, it would be fine. But seriously, do you think he even is? From my few encounters with him he seems way too playful to do a good job." 

 

"Shall we test him?" 

 

"How?" 

 

"We'll be much more relaxed for this few months. Let's give him like, three times the amount of work we're supposed to give his team. After all, don't we have authority over their workload? And if he and his team can finish it well, we can be assured that he is capable enough and not just a random heir." 

 

"You sure it will work? Three times that is a crazy amount for a mere team of five workers." 

 

"I'm certain. It's either they finish it, or not." 

 

"Okay. Let's do it. I'm looking forward to my break!" 

 

"Same here." 

 

"Oh, and what's that team leader's name again?" 

 

"His name?" 

 

"Yeah." 

 

 

"Kim Jongdae, I think." 

 

______________________________________

 

 

Jongdae opened up one sachet of that jasmine tea and put the tea bag into his cup of hot water, which soon turned into a soft golden coloured drink that smelt exactly like how Hyejin did every time she came to work.  

 

Stirring it slowly with a spoon, he blew the tea gently before taking a sip out of it. 

 

Crap. Why was it so bitter? He cringed as he put the cup back on the table before going closer to take a better look. Maybe he shouldn't have bought this the night before. Chocolate seemed like a much better option now. 

 

Sniffing it cautiously, he closed his eyes shut and took another sip of it. Jongdae grunted as he swallowed that sip; he was intent on finishing this drink no matter how awful this was — it wasn't like him to waste food or anything else he had already opened up. 

 

He brought it back to his table, where it was piling with new files and documents. When Jongdae got to work that morning, he saw a whole load of work to do — much more than the amount that had been given the past week or so — along with a note from his senior telling him that he and his team had to finish the work by the end of that day. 

 

Sighing, Jongdae rubbed his head. Since he had to finish it, he might as well start there and then. Sitting down at his desk, he arranged the documents and forced himself to start, stifling a yawn. 

 

When the trainees came in for work, he gave them about the same amount of work he thought should be reasonable for them. Jongdae figured it wasn't fair on the trainees if he were to suddenly pile a whole bunch of work on them without warning. After all, they were new on the job. The workload might scare them off. 

 

The whole morning was spent on checking an invoice: just that one super long document that begged for the attention of Jongdae. Errors meant that the company would either be defamed for not paying for goods or lose money, sometimes adding up to millions of Won. The cup of tea was downed by early morning and Jongdae soon succumbed to the need of coffee — a nice, warm cup of caffeine to get him through the endless numbers and words. 

 

By lunch, he had gone on to only the second out of many documents he had to handle. 

 

"Jongdae, we're going to eat now. Want to join us? We're planning on heading to the office canteen, you know, since you said you never eat outside of the office," Chaeyoung said, beckoning Jongdae over. 

 

"Thanks, but I'm quite busy today. I'll join you all tomorrow if possible okay?" Jongdae gave the four of them a quick smile as he hid the pile of work, not wanting them to worry too much. They left soon after and that was when Jongdae slumped down into his seat, tired out and stressed. 

 

Jongdae lazily fished in his bag to take out the usual lunchbox he had there, then considered eating his food there and then to quickly finish it up before continuing with his work. 

 

"Never mind," he muttered under his breath, slipping the lunchbox back into his bag again. "I'll eat after I'm done with this." 

 

Only the heavens knew if he would be able to complete all the work he had by today. It seemed crazy if he could actually finish it up. But he had to do it somehow — for the trainees and for himself. Jongdae feared that if he didn't finish the work, the trainees would be dragged into the situation and get 'punished' together with him. 

 

He was a little confused as to why the seniors were suddenly piling work on him but he figured it would just be for a day or two — maybe there was some project or something they had to work on and thus they piled work onto the training team? Jongdae didn't know. 

 

He sighed. Time to refill that coffee cup. 

 

 

When he got to the coffee machine, he mindlessly opened the first box he put his hands into and pulled out one of whatever that was. Filling his cup with water, he dropped it in — and that is when he gained back his senses. "Wait no!" Jongdae unintentionally shouted as he tried to pull a teabag out of the water. Too late — it was already soaked. He had taken a Jasmine teabag

 

Jongdae didn't know what he was thinking when he opened the box with the jasmine tea sachets instead of the box with the coffee capsules and put the teabag into the cup after opening it. The numbers must have screwed with his brain. He just wanted a cup of coffee. How did he end up making a cup of tea instead? 

 

Sighing, he gazed at the coffee machine while waiting for the leaves in the teabag to fully diffuse into the water before taking a long sip out of his accidentally-made Jasmine tea. He wrinkled his nose, tried to hold the taste in his mouth and cocked his head slightly to one side before taking another sip. Did it taste different this time from in the morning? It was still horribly bitter, but this time it wasn't that bad. It was… addicting. 

 

"Well," he shrugged, looking down at his familiar-smelling drink as he returned to his table. "At least there's caffeine in here too." 

 

_____________________________________

 

 

Hyejin's phone buzzed in her bag as she ambled together with the other trainees back to her office after lunch. The office canteen food kind of — she wasn't going back there for lunch ever again. Why did Jongdae even go there half the time anyway? 

 

Pulling it out, Hyejin checked to see who was calling. "It's my mom," she told the others. "You all can go back first. I'll hang around here to talk to her." 

 

Turning around, she answered the call. "Hi mom," she called, a little confused. Her mom hardly called unless there was something big happening. If anything, she would just drop Hyejin a message instead of calling her like this. 

 

"Hwang Hyejin," her mom said. "Are you dressed up well? Do you need formal wear from me? I have a few nice blouses you can borrow if you want to. Come over back home anytime." 

 

Hyejin raised her eyebrows. "Why all of a sudden?" 

 

Her mom ignored her question, like always. "You're free tonight, right? No, actually even if you're not free, you still must come. No excuses this time." 

 

"Wait, can you tell me what exactly is going on?" 

 

"Is your hair done-up today? None of the frizzy nonsense?" Her mom continued, ignoring her again. 

 

"Mom!" 

 

"And you're wearing heels right? Please don't tell me you have those stinky sneakers on your feet again." 

 

"Okay, yes, I am dressed up well. Yes, I'm free tonight. Yes, my hair is in a neat condition and no, I am not wearing sneakers today. Now can you tell me what's happening?" Hyejin asked, frazzled. 

 

"Do you know how to get from your workplace to Hongdae? What time do you end work today?" 

 

Hyejin tried hard not to explode. "Mom." 

 

"When you reach Hongdae, go to this place called La Tupina and tell them you have a reservation under Mrs. Hwang. Just be at that location by half past seven in the evening. It's important. Bye, dear." 

 

The next thing Hyejin heard was the sound signaling the end of a call. "Hello? Mom? Hello?" 

 

She tried to call back, once, twice, but her mom didn't pick up the phone. Hyejin sighed deeply. Her mom really knew the right ways to irk her. What exactly was happening?

 

 

 

After work, Hyejin headed straight to Hongdae, as directed by the tyrannical, yet caring lady she called her mother. She had reached the restaurant early and was led by a waiter to a small two-seater table. The restaurant was classy and cosy at the same time, and Hyejin soon settled into the comfort of the place. Sitting down, she decided to message her mother. 

 

Mom, when will you be here? Hyejin typed. 

 

Not me, her mom soon replied ambiguously. You'll see for your own. 

 

Just at that moment, a young man slid down into the seat opposite Hyejin and she looked up at him instinctively. He looked slightly familiar but Hyejin couldn't picture where and when she had seen him. 

 

"Sorry, you are…?" She asked slowly. 

 

The man let out a friendly chuckle. "What else? Your blind date." 

 

"Wait, what?" Hyejin said incredulously. "B-blind date?" 

 

"You didn't know? My dad told me that your mother would have informed you." 

 

Hyejin blinked. "I-I need to use the washroom. Can you give me a while?" She tried her best to smile to seem polite. The guy gestured for her to go, and she awkwardly gave him a small nod before turning in the other direction. 

 

As Hyejin scrambled off to the toilets, she dialed her mother's number for the umpteenth time that day. "Mom!" Hyejin exclaimed when she picked up. 

 

"So, how's the guy? Is he good-looking?" 

 

"Why didn't you tell me that you set up a blind date?" 

 

"If I told you, would you obediently go?" Her mother reasoned, then after a short pause continued, "I don't set up thousands of blind dates for you, Hyejin, this is the first one! So just sit down and enjoy it." 

 

"Mom, you know I'm super awkward with new people." 

 

"That guy's nice. Don't feel awkward around him. Just let the conversation flow! Have fun," Hyejin's mom said before hanging up on Hyejin once again. 

 

Dejectedly, Hyejin walked back to her table. The man smiled at her as he beckoned a waiter over. "Shall we order our food first?" He asked. Hyejin nodded and tried to read the menu but half of it was in Italian and the rest hard to pronounce anyway. 

 

"I'll get a Capesante Al Forno. How about you?" The man told the waiter, then looked at Hyejin, who bit her lip. 

 

"I, erm…" Hyejin had no idea what most of the dishes were so she relied heavily on the pictures on the menu. "I'll get a D…Del Mar…e Risotto," she forced, struggling with the pronunciation. She had honestly no idea what she had just ordered but it looked like it had rice, which was all she felt like eating then. 

 

When the waiter left, the guy leaned over the table a little and Hyejin instinctively jerked back. "So," he stared at Hyejin. "What's your name?" 

 

"H-Huh? Oh, sorry, it's Hyejin. Hwang Hyejin," she stuttered, then realised how dumb she probably looked in front of the guy. 

 

He leaned back and gave Hyejin a smile. "I'm Kim Joonmyeon. You can just call me Joonmyeon, I don't mind." 

 

"Ah, okay, Kim Joonmyeon. That's a nice name," Hyejin said, although she didn't exactly think so. 

 

"Where's your hometown?" Joonmyeon asked, and Hyejin could tell this was the start of him roping random 'get-to-know-you' questions to prevent awkward silences. 

 

"I'm a Seoul native. I live in Sangdo currently," she told him matter-of-factly. "How about you? 

 

"Ah, I'm a Seoul native too. I've lived in Banpo since I was really small. Want me to give you a lift back home later? Sangdo's quite far from here using public transport. Driving will be much faster." 

 

"Oh, no it's fine. Thanks, though." What was the guy doing? Hyejin didn't actually like people knowing her exact address like this. It made her feel that they were a little too close for comfort. 

 

There were a few moments of silence that followed after, and Hyejin unsteadily picked up her glass to drink a little water before clearing . 

 

Joonmyeon looked at her curiously. "You find this awkward?" 

 

"Um… Yeah. A little, I guess," Hyejin let out a small smile. 

 

"Don't feel awkward! I thought you knew me?" 

 

Hyejin raised her eyebrows. She probably hadn't even seen the boy before, she just found him the slightest bit familiar. Knew him? 

 

Seeing the look of ultimate confusion on her face, the boy began to talk. "You studied in Dongguk University, right? I did too. We even did the same course — we were course-mates! And my dormitory block was near to yours. I thought you would have recognized me," Joonmyeon laughed. 

 

"…Really?" Hyejin cocked her head slightly to the side as she tried to recall, but it didn't really strike her. 

 

"I was known as Suho back there, though. It was just a weird nickname that stuck." He shrugged. 

 

"Oh, Suho!" She exclaimed when something finally rang a bell. "You mean the one that all the professors kept talking about? The boy with the genius grades. You're a banker now, right?" 

 

He chucked. "So you know me as Suho, huh? Yeah, I work in a bank now. And, just to clear something from the start… hey, do you have intentions of like, actually dating? Because honestly… I was dragged here by my parents." 

 

Hyejin was glad. She shook her head and straightened up in her chair. "Same here. It's okay, let's just be friends, shall we?" 

 

"Friends it is, then," Joonmyeon grinned. 

 

"Would you like me to call you Suho or Joonmyeon?" Hyejin asked. "Everyone knows you as Suho. I thought that was your real name!" 

 

"Everyone thinks Suho's my name too — you're not alone. So call me Joonmyeon, please," he said smilingly. 

 

"Okay, Joonmyeon. How's work going?" 

 

"It's been… uneventful. I started work before I even graduated, actually. I was a trainee for about two months before I became an actual employee," Joonmyeon explained, and Hyejin nodded politely. 

 

"I'm a trainee now, at WS Group. You know the supermarket chain? Yep — that one. I actually just started," Hyejin said. 

 

"Oh, that's nice! How's your team? And your seniors?" 

 

"They're nice people. All of them are superb, though, as in in terms of achievement and talent wise. And my team leader is nice too — he treats all of us trainees in his team as his friends. Oh, if I'm not wrong actually I think he's the son of the CEO of our company or something, there's been a rumour revolving that going around but I'm not sure how true that is," Hyejin told Joonmyeon, who listened intently like he was really interested. Hyejin was glad her 'blind date' turned out to be someone like him. Joonmyeon was going to make a great buddy. 

 

______________________________________

 

 

Jongdae's phone played its usual ringtone as he flipped through pages of the last document he had for the day — one last report he had to check through. Eyes still glued to the page, he stuffed the pencil he had behind his ear and held the phone to his other ear, balancing it with his shoulder. 

 

Now both hands were free, he could write again. "Hello?" He greeted the person on the other end of the line as he turned to the next page of the report and crossed a grammatical error out. 

 

"Jongdae?" The crackly voice on the other end called. He could recognize that voice anywhere. Dropping his pencil, Jongdae sat up straighter in his rolling chair and rolled it round and round, a grin carving itself onto his initially exhausted face. 

 

"Dad! You finally called!" Jongdae exclaimed elatedly, pulling away from his messy table. 

 

"Sorry, I was busy the past few weeks. I had so many things I had to handle. Did you eat your lunch today? Okay, I'm sure you did." 

 

Jongdae's eyes darted around and he guiltily tossed the uneaten sandwich he was supposed to have for lunch into his bag, as if his father could see it. "Erm… yeah, of course I have! You know too that my appetite is crazy big," he lied. Jongdae couldn't let his father worry. 

 

"Yeah, yeah. You and your two bowls of rice. Well, so how's being a team leader like? I haven't gotten a chance to ask you," Jongdae's father asked. 

 

"Really busy. Actually I'm still in the office now — it's kind-of dark and I'm the only one left in the room. The trainees have gone home already." 

 

"Still in the office? Do you want me to come over and pull your ear? It's near midnight already! To think I was worried that you were sleeping and would miss my call!" He shouted into the receiver, and Jongdae had to hold the phone away from his ear slightly to prevent himself from going deaf (though he knew that was an exaggeration). 

 

"How about you, dad?" Jongdae laughed when his dad had stopped nagging. "You're still awake too! Don't worry, I just have to finish looking through one more report and then I can go home and have a good sleep. Dad, sleep soon too, okay? Your voice tells me your throat is still not completely healed." 

 

Jongdae heard a scowl over the phone, and smiled unknowingly. His dad seemed more like a grandmotherly figure sometimes. "Have you been taking your meds regularly?" Jongdae continued asking. "How about mom? Is she okay?" 

 

"We are fine and completely well, please don't worry about us and just finish your work so you can go home. I'll be hanging u—" 

 

"Wait!" Jongdae called. "Before you hang up, have I sent money over this month? How is the vegetable shop doing? Do you need more money to be sent over?" 

 

Jongdae's father sighed deeply. "Jongdae, Jongdae. Your memory is becoming worse than your ol' dad's. Yes, you have sent money over like you always do and we don't need money for now. The shop is doing just fine, just that Grandmother Lee has been asking where you've been for the past few years. Everyone in Gyeonggi-do misses you. Come over if you can, okay? And bring Baekhyun along with you — your mum misses his appreciation of her food. Right now she's sick of hearing me complain about her cooking." 

 

Jongdae laughed. "Okay, I'll come over as soon as I can and bring Baek. Sleep soon, okay?" 

 

"I will. You too." Jongdae heard his father let out a yawn, and he did too. 

 

 

"Dad?" 

 

"Hmm?" 

 

"Goodnight." 

 

"Goodnight, my son."  

 

 

 

 

 

 

[a/n: hey guys your ol dude has a history examination tomorrow oops and did you see exo’s recent party people episode!! i’m so glad i stan them they make me so happy]