twenty one

Trolls, Jasmines and You

Hyejin's morning was brightened the moment she stepped into the seniors' office. It was flooded with people looking slightly surreptitious as they swiftly signed a form and left. A lady stood by the form with her computer, multitasking as she directed people with instructions on the petition and typing on her keyboard. Hyejin guessed she was Cha Yeryun. 

 

Before she could step forward to talk to her, a hand tousled her hair and she winced as she turned around. 

 

"Yo." Taehwan grinned at her, obviously in a better mood than in the previous days. Subconsciously an image of Chen being upset and jealous over Taehwan ruffling her hair popped into her head, and she giggled. Taehwan seemed amused. 

 

"You're... Happy," he stated, laughing along. 

 

Hyejin nodded. "Yup. I am." Then she glanced around, realising that the Taehwan who always dragged someone with him everywhere was alone. "Where are the rest?" 

 

He pointed in the direction of Yeryun, where Jinkyung and Chaeyoung were conversing. Hyejin wondered how her eyes could have missed them when she was looking in their direction. At that moment Chaeyoung seemed to have espied Hyejin, because she walked over, Jinkyung tailing. 

 

"You look bright and energised," Chaeyoung commented, and Taehwan nodded vigorously, much to the amusement of Hyejin, who affirmed the observation a second time. Everyone could guess why. 

 

"But you know this petition may not work... right?" Jinkyung asked carefully. "I mean, I hope I'm not raining on your parade too much, but WS is a big corporation. This is just a measly petition to get back an employee, I'm not sure if they'll even take any heed to it." 

 

"They will," Hyejin said steadfastly, and although she knew this affirmation wouldn't affect anything at all, it settled some uncertainties in her heart. "Che- I mean, Jongdae even sold his sports car for a cheaper one and he's going to use the profit to recoup the company and its losses." 

 

They all stared at her for a while, and she felt conscious under their gaze. 

 

"How do you know? Jongdae was uncontactable the entire day," Jinkyung asked. 

 

"Yeah! The dude didn't pick up any of my calls or answer any of my texts!" Taehwan exclaimed. 

 

She felt herself getting red as she remembered how adorable Chen was in his too-big shirt. And the kiss they shared. And how they snuggled under the sheets together. "HeAnsweredJustOneOfMyMessages," she said in a flustered rush, much to the confusion of the rest. Hyejin at this. She chased everyone out of the office with the excuse that they needed to complete work regardless of this petition. 

 

And the day went on. The trainees worked. Spent lunch together. Went back to work. Hyejin texted Chen at 2pm on the dot. He replied, ending with a heart and a reminder to have her meals and rest time. Repeated this for a week, with no news of the petition. 

 

When a week and a half had passed and there was still no news on how it was going, when 2pm rolled around, Hyejin didn't text Chen. She was too afraid to even look at his name in her contacts. (My Chen <3, insisted by no other than himself). And when a call came from him at exactly 2:01pm, she hesitated before picking it up and bringing it to her ear. 

 

"Where's my daily 2pm text, hmm, baby?" He said over the line with the slightest whine, and Hyejin could imagine his little pout. 

 

"Chen," she could only squeeze out, but her voice still trembled noticeably. 

 

"Jasmine?" He asked, his voice suddenly sounding awake. "Hold on, are you okay?" 

 

"Do you think you'll come back? To WS, I mean?" She mumbled. The more she spoke the more her fears seemed real. 

 

"What are you saying? Of course I will, silly." 

 

He seemed so confident and calm that she felt like crying all over again. "But..." 

 

"Jasmine, babe. Don't worry too much about this, you hear me? Even if I don't come back nothing will change. Except you'll have to drop by my house more often. Or I'll drop by yours. And yeah, I'll miss WS, but it's okay, because I have you, don't I?" 

 

Hyejin was quiet, so he spoke some more. "I promise I'm going to come back, okay?" He spoke in a soothing voice, and she felt slightly stupid that Chen, being the one who probably felt a hundred times worse, had to comfort her. She nodded although she knew he couldn't see her. 

 

"Mm." 

 

And then Chen changed his tone again, this time to a playful one. "Hwang Hyejin, are you slacking off on your job now? Your senior right here is asking you to get back to work!" He joked with mock displeasure, and she laughed at his silliness. Oh Chen

 

The days continued in their mostly monotone manner. Besides having lunch together with the team and the calls from Chen, the only thing that brought fizz to Hyejin's work life was the fact that they were going to attend their first conference with the higher-ups. They had always been having small-scale meetings within the team, or with the other trainee teams and sometimes a senior team or two, but never with anyone with a position higher than that of a regular team leader. 

 

When the day approached Hyejin dressed in her most formal attire — the exact same set of clothes she wore on the first day of work (including the high heels she swore never to wear again). Taehwan donned a tuxedo, which was a funny sight because not only did he never wear something like this, he was also severely overdressed for a trainee. 

 

Hyejin walked with Jinkyung on the way to the conference room. She lightly tugged on Jinkyung's long sleeves. "You nervous?" 

 

"Not really," Jinkyung stated, but Hyejin had seen her taking in deep breaths before stepping out of their office. She stifled a good-natured laugh. Jinkyung would always be Jinkyung. 

 

The conference room was big, but somehow it felt stuffy. Employees and trainees alike shuffled in their seats, some preparing their laptops to take minutes, some flipping through documents, and some unwrapping candy after candy taken from the bowl at the centre of their desk. Hyejin's team huddled themselves at a small table of their own, and when the conference started all of them sat with their backs arched straight, caught by the terse atmosphere of it all. 

 

"And today we will be welcoming an employee up to discuss his report on our recent advertisements," a man spoke in a crisp tone. Hyejin didn't really know who he was — probably one of the directing managers, though. 

 

The door creaked open in the silence, and the first thing Hyejin saw were black sneakers. And she knew only one person who would wear black sneakers with his formal wear. 

 

Hyejin didn't even know she had her breath hitched until she let it all out. In front of her was Kim Jongdae. Chen. Her Chen — back in the company, and in front speaking to a whole large group of people. Though she had many questions unanswered, she couldn't contain her large grin. And it was the same for the other members of the team, because Chaeyoung had gone back into her squeaking (this time happy squeaks), Taehwan had to clamp his hand over his agape mouth to prevent him from doing anything he would regret afterward (i.e. screaming or shouting), and Jinkyung merely grinned (but it meant so much more, Hyejin knew).

 

Chen glanced across the room with a gleam in his eyes. "Before I begin, some of you who've heard the news might be thinking why I am standing right in front of you today to talk to you about this. Some of you might know I recently messed up our company's advertisements recently, and that resulted in my dismissal. But I've made my compensations, and I heard that some of you have also been actively supporting my re-employment back here to WS, so thank you." His eyes found the team's for a second, and Hyejin knew it wasn't her imagination that the twinkle already present in his eye brightened even more. 

 

"Anyway, back to my main point. So while I was at home I went to various WS branches and observed the impact of my mishap, and what surprised me is that it didn't impact the company and sales as much as I had expected. I didn't conduct a thorough research, but this slide shows a few patrons' responses when asked about our recent advertisements and promotions. And why is this happening? Because the people simply didn't pay attention to the advertisements. 

 

"Let me correct myself. The right people didn't pay attention to the advertisements. I believe our focus to improve our next advertisements is to tweak and design them so they match our target audience…" 

 

Chen continued on, his voice crystal clear across the room. Hyejin didn't think she was all that biased, but he was incredibly charismatic and kept her complete attention for the entirety of his presentation. His presentation ended with loud eruptions of applause. Chen sat himself at a different table with an empty seat, but not before waving subtly (but elatedly) at the team of trainees. 

 

Hyejin kept her laptop open to the shared online document for minutes, and left her email inbox tab open as well, just as a habit. She glanced at her screen when the inbox tab began to blink, signalling a new email. And she knew she wasn't supposed to check emails during conferences like these, but perhaps it was out of habit as well, but she clicked on the tab and opened the new email resting on top of her inbox. 

 

From: Kim Jongdae <[email protected]

To: Hwang Hyejin <[email protected]

 

Dear Ms Hwang Hyejin 

 

It has come to my concern that I am greatly consumed with the thoughts of holding your hand. The intense urge to feel your fingers between mine has caused an issue, that is, my distraction from this conference. To solve this issue I suggest a meeting at the staircase nearest the toilets after this conference concludes. 

 

Thank you for your attention and support. 

 

Yours, 

Kim Jongdae 

 

(P.S. 'Yours', as in literally.) 

 

 

From: Hwang Hyejin <[email protected]

To: Kim Jongdae <[email protected]>

 

Dear Mr Kim Jongdae

 

I strongly urge you to give your fullest attention to the meeting. It is of my greatest joy that you are back in the company, and I do not want you to be dismissed again. 

 

Still, I look forward to an enjoyable meeting at the staircase later on. 

 

Yours, 

Hwang Hyejin 

 

(P.S. 'Yours', also literally.) 

 

 

Hyejin peeked above her computer to across the room. Chen had a hint of a smile playing on his lips. She bit her lip to prevent her own grin from escaping. 

 

She failed terribly — especially when they made eye contact afterward, and he looked at her with the most tender look ever. 

 

 

_________________________________________________

 

 

When the conference ended Hyejin tilted her head upward as she streamed out of the room together with everyone else, lagging behind slightly as she wasn't concentrating on walking anyway. Chen was nowhere to be seen — he had left his seat already and was probably already consumed by the large amount of people exiting at the same time. 

 

Hyejin was one of the last few people to leave the room, having waited and searched for Chen. But it still surprised her when she felt a sturdy arm snaking round her waist and firmly dragging her aside, before tracing its way to her hand and threading it through her fingers. 

 

"Finally," his voice whispered. 

 

Hyejin followed willingly, her feet lightly skipping across the ground as she got dragged out of the room, down a corridor, and into a staircase, in which Chen sneakily closed the door behind him. 

 

He cupped her face, squishing her cheeks and smiling like a proud mother. "I'm so proud of you, my baby. First ever full department conference accomplished!" 

 

She nuzzled her cheek against his large hands. "How did you manage to come back so suddenly?" 

 

He squinted his eyes at her and leaned forward, such that their foreheads were almost touching. "We're talking about you now, Jasmine, not me. But anyway, I'm not sure either, I talked to the company and did whatever I needed to do, like all the reimbursements and stuff. And I gave them the money from selling my car too. But this means I won't be able to fetch you anywhere using my car anymore." He pouted slightly, looking upset. 

 

She pretended to think for a while. "Hmm, then should I break up with you?" 

 

"Hwang Hyejin!" Chen let go of her and took a step backward in exaggerated dismay. 

 

Hyejin laughed and tugged at the end of his sleeves to pull him closer again. She didn't use much force but he stumbled forward anyway. The tips of their noses brushed against each other. "I think my trolling game has gotten better than yours, Mr Kim Jongdae."  

 

"Tsk." 

 

"I like subway rides with you. It's okay!" 

 

Chen's expression suddenly turned soft, and his eyes stared into hers. Then he started to sprinkle kisses on her nose, making Hyejin laugh, and plonked an especially big one on her lips. 

 

"Why are you so adorable?" He cooed, and she playfully narrowed her eyes at him. 

 

"Stop babying me." 

 

"No," he pouted again, being, to Hyejin, the more adorable one in this conversation. "You like it. Secretly." 

 

"How would you know?" 

 

"I'm your boyfriend," he stated, as if it was common knowledge that a guy immediately turns into a psychic upon dating someone. When Hyejin didn't respond to that, he began to laugh, and then he pulled her into his arms, enveloping her in his chest and snuggling his nose into her hair. 

 

"Oh, Jasmine. What would I do without you, seriously." 

 

 

 

________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Hyejin lay on her couch, feeling lazy after a day of work. She hitched up her skirt slightly so that her legs could be more comfortably placed. Feeling for her remote, she switched on the television to a random food channel and lay there, watching the programme but not registering in her mind what exactly was showing. 

 

Then her doorbell rang, and in her laziness she squashed a pillow onto her face and considered not going to answer the door. She waited, and it was silent again. But the doorbell rang yet again, and she decided to get the door just in case it was something important. 

 

Flinging the door open, she hadn't had the time to see who the guest was before he pinned her against the door and kissed her soundly on the lips. 

 

He pulled away and looked squarely at Hyejin. "Hi," he said huskily, and she couldn't help but smile — although she had no idea what her boyfriend was doing at her house at eight in the evening. 

 

Chen then picked up the bag he had lugged with him and barged into the house without explanation, plunging straight onto the spot Hyejin had been just moments ago. 

 

"What are you doing here?" She asked, confused, closing the door behind her. 

 

"I have to sleep in your house for one night. Just to make it fair since you slept at mine that time. Yeah, to make it fair," he stated, looking obviously satisfied with himself. 

 

"No." 

 

And then he began to pout. (Probably because he knew that trick always worked on Hyejin. It was foolproof.) "But why?" He whined. Hyejin had to tell the little squeezes she felt in her heart from his cuteness to scram. 

 

"Because…" she started. "I have only one room. And my sofa is not big enough." 

 

"We can share the room!" Chen exclaimed eagerly, and Hyejin had to bite her lip to stop herself from bursting into laughter. 

 

"What? No." 

 

"Yes! I can sleep on the floor. It's lonely in my house, Jasmine. Please, baby?" Chen climbed off the sofa and attached himself onto her, his face snuggled into the crook of her shoulder, looking up at her expectantly. 

 

Hyejin thought for a while. It wasn't like she was completely against him sleeping here, it was just that she was conservative and didn't just let guys sleep at her place. But he wasn't just a guy — he was Chen, Kim Jongdae, her boyfriend. And technically she had an extra mattress she stowed under her bed that her mother had brought over when Hyejin first moved into this apartment. And deep in her heart she knew she wanted him here. 

 

Besides he was being so cute right now, and there was no way she could possibly turn him down when he was clinging onto her like that, right? 

 

"Fine," she says in the end, and his face breaks into a big grin. 

 

"I knew you'd say yes eventually. I love you, you know that, right?" Chen chirped, and was about to make a beeline for her room when she held her hand in front of him. 

 

"Wait! But you're not going into my room just yet. Hang around out here, I'll set up a mattress on the floor for you. You are not sleeping on my bed tonight." 

 

"It's okay! I can help you!" 

 

She laughed. "I'm perfectly capable of pulling a mattress out, Chen. And also I have to shower, so stay out here until I'm done, okay?" 

 

Chen nods, bobbing his head, and Hyejin wondered how on earth he could be so adorable. 

 

 

___________________________________________________

 

 

When Hyejin was done showering and walked out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her head, Chen was nowhere in her living room or kitchen. She sighed and headed for her room. 

 

Pushing open the door, her eyes land on him staring straight at the posters on the wall. 

 

"Chen. Get. Out." She narrowed her eyes, taking off the towel from her head and drying her hair. But he only stepped forward and took over, rubbing her hair dry for her instead. She didn't object, and waited for him as he her head with the towel gently. 

 

"Why don't you want me in your room?" He hummed softly, and she looked up at his wistful eyes. She wondered for a moment if he was hurt, and was going to offer an explanation, but he took the towel off her head and tapped her lightly on her nose. 

 

"Done," he said, scrunching his own nose, and Hyejin knew everything was fine. She subtly sighed in relief. 

 

But then he turned around and pointed an accusing finger at the biggest poster on the wall. "Why doesn't your room have any pictures of me? Why is there a gigantic poster of VIXX instead?" 

 

She stifled a laugh, slightly embarrassed. "That's from when I was still in college. I'm too lazy to peel them off my wall." 

 

It was Chen's turn to narrow his eyes at her. He leaned in, and then engulfed her in a bear hug, making them both stumble onto her bed. She laughed, feeling all warm and cosy on the bed in his embrace. This time, he pointed at the empty ceiling with one hand, keeping the other tightly wound around Hyejin. 

 

"I'm going to take so many pictures with you and print them out poster size, so you can put them up and stare at my face as I call you every night. You'll fall asleep faster and I'll be able to watch after you, though only in poster form. Okay? I'm so doing it." 

 

 

___________________________________________________

 

 

By an hour later Chen had made a sign from scrawling on a piece of cardstock paper with a thick marker: Hyejin's room — Keep Out! Unless your name is Kim Jongdae, then come in whenever you like

 

And accidentally knocked over her jasmine scented candle (luckily it wasn't lighted). 

 

And was currently in the kitchen wreaking havoc. He was apparently preparing dinner, but from where Hyejin was watching him it seemed like an entire apocalypse had happened in her kitchen. In the middle of the chaos stood a very confused looking Chen. 

 

"You need help," she says firmly, going to stand right behind him and stare at the single onion which had been butchered into strange, uneven pieces. There were other vegetables rolling everywhere around the counter, far away from the chopped up onion. Hyejin eyed the ingredients on the counter — the vegetables, a slab of chicken, and a packet of something orange which she guessed was some sort of curry mix. 

 

"Are you making Japanese curry?" She asked, cocking her head. She swept the chopped onion off the chopping board and replaced it with a new bulb, and shooed Chen aside. 

 

He looked astonished. "How did you know?" 

 

Hyejin laughed. Honestly, she had cooked so much instant curry for herself that she could tell at one look that the orange packet was of curry mix — it couldn't be helped: when you live alone it's either takeaway or instant food for most dinners. But she wasn't telling that to Chen. 

 

"I'm a genius," she just said, starting to slice the onions for him. He leaned over, intently watching her slicing up the bulb. He looked a little like an earnest student, so she stretched her hand with the knife up to him. "Wanna learn?" 

 

"What?" 

 

"Learn. Like cutting vegetables, and stuff." 

 

"So that I can cook for you in the future?" 

 

Hyejin felt her face heat up a little at that. She wasn't sure what "future" he was referring to. Tomorrow could be 'future'. Next year could be 'future'. Sixty years down the road, bound by marriage, could also be 'future'. 

 

She didn't notice a knowing smile creep up his face. He latched himself onto her back, arms wrapping around her waist protectively in a back hug. "What are you thinking about?" He asked, his chin resting on her shoulder. 

 

"The best way to teach you to cook," she lied, and he grunted, then buried his face deeper into her neck, making her squirm. She felt his steady breathing on her nape, and it began harder and harder to hold her knife without quivering.  

 

"Chen," she called, putting down her knife eventually. She wrapped her own fingers around his on her waist. 

 

"Hmm?" 

 

"Don't you want to learn?" 

 

She felt him slowly release her, and her neck was cold at the absence of his warm cheeks all of a sudden. Hyejin much preferred to be in his embrace. Still, they needed to get stuff done for dinner. 

 

Chen was pouting, his hair in an tousled mess from all the nuzzling. "Yeah, I do, but it could wait..." He whined softly, and she couldn't help but laugh. 

 

"Fine, we'll continue this later, alright? We need our dinner." 

 

"Later?" A mischievous glint found its way into his eyes, and his face seemed to light up. He began to yield the knife with enthusiasm. "Okay. Promise. Onions and curry now. Hugs and kisses later. Deal?" 

 

"Yup." 

 

 

 

 

[a/n: it’s almost over!! thank you for staying with me all this while :”)]