Final

Sweet Lies

“You need to get up, now!” Baekji’s knuckles came down on the door impossibly fast, ing Baekhyun out of his bed just to make it stop. If being forced into living in his childhood home until the wedding was bad enough, Baekji found a way to make it worse.

 

He felt dizzy from standing up too fast, but it would soon pass. His annoying human alarm clock would not, “What do you want?” Baekhyun rubbed his tired eyelids, trying to not fall asleep right then and there.

 

“He’s flying in today, and mom told you to pick him up.” Christ, that was the last thing Baekhyun wanted to do with his saturday morning, spend an hour in Incheon traffic to pick up this Baekji’s fiance, then spend another awkward hour with previously mentioned dude. He was already involved enough with the wedding, having to be involved with every detail of planning the ceremony in place of the groom. Baekji would not shut up about how much this man made as a producer, even though it meant he was flying from country to country more often than anyone could keep track of.

 

“What time does his flight get in?” Baekhyun was already moving towards his closet, trying to find something suitable for the occasion. Something that said ‘it’s nice to meet you’ but also said ‘I could care less.’

 

“Two hours, better get moving.” Baekji left him alone in his frantic dressing after that. He hated when people volunteered him for .

 

~

 

An hour in Incheon traffic really does something to a person. Baekhyun didn’t even know the man his sister was marrying yet he was beginning to hate him. He could turn back, and make this sorry find his own way to the family home, but Baekhyun wasn’t that mean. It’s not like he had anything else to do today anyway.

 

Baekhyun flipped the channel on the radio, not a single talk show or station being right for how he felt at the moment. They all seemed to talk about the same topics, the recent impeachment of the president, but Baekhyun didn’t give much of a . All he wanted was this wedding to be over with, so he never had to waste another hour that he could never get back in traffic, and another hour with a random man he had never met.

 

~

 

“What the is his name?” Baekhyun was on the phone with Baekji, trying to figure out who is supposed to get in his car.

 

“He knows what you look like, don’t worry about it.” Baekhyun cocked an eyebrow at that, before hanging up on her without another word. he was too annoyed to argue, so if he had a stranger in his car, so be it. Maybe that will make this wedding go by quicker. Baekhyun parked his car in the lot, before going to Domestic Arrivals to pick up Baekji’s fiance. He tried to stand exactly where he could be seen easily, off of the crowd of other family members and businessmen.

 

“Baekhyun!” Baekhyun whipped his head around so fast he felt a bit dizzy. He knew that voice,  it was the same voice that had whispered him goodnight for five years, the voice that vowed his love to Baekhyun, the voice that left him at the altar. The voice that broke his heart. Baekhyun was in a bad mood beforehand, but it had gotten worse. He couldn’t control his expression, letting it darken to a scowl.

 

The two males hadn’t spoken from the day Chanyeol abandoned him, and Baekhyun sincerely hoped this was not the man he was supposed to be meeting.

 

Chanyeol grabbed his sole suitcase off of the belt and walked over to Baekhyun as quickly as possible. Baekhyun doesn’t know why he stayed there, frozen, allowing Chanyeol to approach him. Chanyeol flashed him a smile when he finally got close, and Baekhyun wasn’t sure how he felt.

 

“I’m looking for someone, move.” Baekhyun didn’t even make eye contact,  instead stepping aside and looking for the mystery man.

 

“Baekji sent you? She didn’t even tell me.” Baekhyun froze in place, emotions hitting him in a wave. His sister was marrying his ex. Tears welled up in his eyes.

 

Baekhyun pushed past Chanyeol, “Find your own way back.” Baekhyun ran to his car, trying to keep himself together in front of others, who knows who was there and might see him in his moment of weakness.

 

When he was confined to the safety of his BMW, Baekhyun allowed his tears to come forth, flowing down his cheeks like two rivers. He felt so betrayed, by his family, by his mother for sending him to meet Chanyeol. They all knew what had happened, they had comforted him in the aftermath. They had dried his tears, yet they sent him into the lion's den anyway. Seeing him brought up every memory and feeling he had tried to suppress.

 

Baekhyun cries until his eyes hurt and tears no longer come out, even though a large uncomfortable lump still remains in this throat. He sits in the silence, not quite sure what to do next. Should he call his sister and tell him how he felt, or save it for when he arrives home? Should he even go home at all? There were a million thoughts swirling around in his head, until they were interrupted by a knock on the glass of his window. He knew exactly who it was, yet Baekhyun looked up anyway.

 

Chanyeol waved at him. Why the is he trying to be so friendly? Acting as though they don't have a long and painful past together?

Baekhyun didn’t even get out of his car fully, just opening the door and swinging his legs out, sitting their. Somehow the parking spot next to him was empty, so Chanyeol stood there across from him. They looked at each other in silence for a moment or two, Baekhyun being the first to speak.

 

“What is your problem?” Chanyeol was caught off guard by such a direct question.

 

“What do you mean?” Chanyeol’s playfully demeanor subsided, his voice becoming less animated and more serious.


 

“You leave me, wait a couple years, come back and my sister.. want me to pick you up from the airport. First time since it happened. What’s wrong with you? Is this some sick game that you’re playing?” While Baekhyun speaks, that when it hits him, “You left me for Baekji!” He lunges from his car seat and up at Chanyeol, knocking him down. Baekhyun holds him by the collar.

 

“I-I-I didn’t!” Chanyeol puts his hands up defensively, not sure what to make of the situation. He searches Baekhyun’s face for a possible explanation.

 

“Why should I believe a word you say? You said you’d love me forever, you couldn’t wait until we started our life together. I waited for you! I said I’d love you forever, and I meant it!” Baekhyun lets go of the taller man’s collar before getting up and brushing himself off. Baekhyun cards his fingers through his hair and looks up at the sky, “You know.. I haven’t even tried looking for someone else yet. Do you want to know why?”

 

Chanyeol nods, but Baekhyun doesn’t even look.

 

“Because I waited. I thought you would come back, that we’d have that fantastic ceremony like you said we would. That’d we’d be together.. again. I was naive. I’m not anymore.”

 

That’s when Baekhyun finally looks at him, a single tear falls down his face.

 

“Goodbye Chanyeol.”