the notebook but it's the greasy cousin knockoff version that no one really likes

one by one

Momo glanced at the notebook in her hands anxiously, eyes flicking back up to Sana. Sana looked back expectantly, her lips pressed into a small smile. Momo’s heart fluttered as she swallowed her uncertainties. She flipped through the pages of the notebook, catching glimpses of some of the things she had written in there over time.

 

Sana leaned forward from her position on the couch, eyebrow-raising questioningly as she watched Momo skim through the pages.

 

“Okay, sorry, I just needed to collect my thoughts for a second.” Momo breathed, hands starting to tremble. “I wanted to gift you with this as an anniversary gift.” Momo held the notebook out to Sana.

 

“Anniversary? It’s not our anniversary yet…?”

 

“Different anniversary. Flip to the front page and read the date and you’ll get it.” Momo instructed eyeing Sana as she thumbed the edge of the notebook, finally turning the cover over.

 

April, 13th, 2012.

 

Sana reread the date, then one more before looking back at Momo. Momo bit her cheeks to contain a flustered smile. Sana felt the corners of her lips curl into a wide grin as she caught Momo’s eye.

 

“At first, it was going to be about my time as a trainee, but then slowly, it started to turn into an entire diary about my experiences with you. You were a big part of my trainee years, and you’ll be able to tell when I started… feeling new emotions about you about halfway through.” Momo explained, a lopsided smile on her face as she did so.

 

“I didn’t realize it was already-”

 

“Past midnight? I had planned this for a while, per se, but I pretty much forced you to watch a movie with me so it would go past midnight without you noticing.” Momo confessed, her voice sheepish. “I’ve pretty much poured my heart and soul into that little notebook right there.”

 

“Never shared it with anyone?” Sana asked.

 

“God no,” Momo chuckled “Jeongyeon almost got her hands on it when we were still in a dorm with everyone. It was an intense fight, she pulled out some medieval insults out on me. I was afraid she was going to make us joust on horseback.”

 

Sana perked. “Was that when you threatened to ‘haul her mangly over and out of the window’ and she retaliated by saying ‘You wish to take me on? Unsheath your sword brethren!’?”

 

Momo let out a laugh, burying her face in her hands as she nodded, confirming Sana’s suspicion. “Yeah, that would be the time.” Momo let out a breath. “Read the marked pages I have in there.”

 

Sana’s breath hitched as she opened the book. She slowly turned each page over, skimming through each page as she went to the first marked page. Sana adjusted to the Japanese characters as she flipped through the pages. She smiled to herself at the way she could feel Momo’s anxious gaze on her.

 

The younger girl reached the first page, unfolded the dog ear crease Momo had done to keep track of the page. She looked at the date, more than a month after Momo had started to pen things into the journal.

 

I feel like I’ve been talking about Sana-chan more and more in this diary of mine. Is it weird for me to be documenting our memories like this?

 

Thanks for being a piece of paper, Fuhen-san. Unlike my sister who would teasingly belittle me for talking about Sana so much, you stay silent. Perhaps it’s because you’re not alive? Or are you still part of a living breathing tree…?

 

Sana snorted, eyes gleaming as she managed to look back up at Momo.

 

“You gave your diary a name…?” Sana almost choked, holding back her laughter.

 

Momo flushed, pouting dismissively. “I was very attached to it. My mother gave me that when I moved to Korea.”

 

“That’s adorable, actually. You’re adorable.” Sana praised sweetly, patting the bottom of Momo’s chin reassuringly. Her eyes moved back down to the page she was reading, starting where she had left off.

 

Regardless, thank you for listening to me.

 

Sana-chan… she is a very zany person. I feel that we are very similar though. The fact she is Japanese as well ensures that a language barrier will be no problem for our friendship. While that is the case, we’re studying Korean together. She seems to have a better grasp at it though, I’m lost half of the time.

 

Today though, while we were reciting common Korean phrases, she told me “I love you” in Korean and I ended up stumbling over my words. She teased me for messing up the phrase, but then assured me I would get better if I keep at it. Like she wasn’t the one who flustered me in the first place. Seriously, Sana-chan would be great on one of those variety shows, she’s got such a bubbly personality. She even managed to make my own heart flutter when she told me “I love you.”

 

Ah~!! She really is cute though. How does one manage to be so cute every day??? Only Sana-chan can accomplish such a thing, I guess.

 

Here I go again, going on and on about Sana-chan. Sorry for tattooing my rambles of her onto your paper skin, Fuhen-san.

 

Sana doesn’t say anything as she goes through each page before reaching the next bookmarked page. It’s dated almost seven months after the first marked page.

 

I hope Sana-chan doesn’t ask what I’m writing since she’s right next to me. ;;

 

Anyway, she had brought up the notion of biking together sometime, but I can’t bike at all… I saw the way her eyes lit up when she mentioned going biking so I couldn’t say ‘no’ in the end. Agh, it’s like she has me wrapped around her finger; I’m so compliant with everything she wants to do.

 

When we first mounted the bicycles, my heart was pounding… I was so nervous, but Sana-chan ended up noticing and asked me if I was okay. Once again, I didn’t want to ruin the experience so I nodded reluctantly and we started to go.

 

My feet were just barely moving the pedals because I was trembling so much… I ended up losing momentum and fell over on my bike. My knee got banged up, but I was embarrassed when Sana-chan rushed over and asked me if I was okay.

 

I ended up confessing to her sheepishly that I couldn’t ride bikes and she laughed and said I should’ve told her. She tended to my knee and kissed it softly, I probably blushed, but I didn’t dare say anything to her. Her lips felt soft…

 

We then walked our bikes back to the place she rented them from and we strolled around hand in hand, going to shops to get some snacks before heading back to the dorms. Lately, Sana-chan’s been able to make me blush a lot recently.

 

Fuhen-san, you may be a dead tree, but please give me some knowledge of why this is so! Thank you~~~~

 

“You really should’ve just told me you didn’t know how to ride bikes…” Sana hummed, a smile playing on her lips.

 

“Did you not get me not wanting to ruin the experience for you or something?” Momo deadpanned.

“Of course I did, but I could’ve rented a motorbike where it had a sidecar where you could sit and I would’ve driven us around town.” Sana giggled. “It’d be cute to see you in the little sidecar with an adorable helmet on and everything.” Sana laughed, raising her arm to block the pillow Momo threw at her.

 

“Shut up!”

 

Sana pursed her lips at Momo, making a face before focusing back down at the next marked journal entry. The date read almost a year and a half after the previous entry.

 

I talked to my sister today about Sana.

 

Well, not directly, indirectly. I told her about how ‘this person’ makes me feel and she told me it was love. I almost wanted to feel surprised, but I honestly wasn’t. Looking back at all of my previous writings, it’s clear to see how I indirectly wrote down my growing feelings about Sana that I’ve either been oblivious to or have chosen to ignore.

 

I think I’ve tried to avoid this realization, but it was inevitable. It’s been so stressful lately with Sixteen. I can’t count the times where Sana would go into the practice room telling me to go to sleep when it’s three in the morning, but we haven’t seen each other much lately. I miss the feeling of going down the halls when it’s completely silent with interlaced fingers. When Sana would be too tired to go back to her own room, she would end up sleeping in my bed.

 

We would cuddle up together and I could never shake the thought out of my head that what we did was what couples would do. We’ve even kissed before when we played the pocky game together… I got so flustered, but Sana simply commented that my lips tasted sweet. I mean that’s not what normal friends do, right???

 

I miss her. Our dream this entire time has been to debut together and with our new friend, Mina who we’ve grown close to, debuting together is our one aspiration.

 

I really do miss not having Sana by my side right now. I forgot what life was like without her here. I can imagine life without Sana, but I don’t want my life to be like that. I don’t want a life without her.

 

Fuhen-san… This truly is the feeling of love, isn’t it?

 

Momo watched intently as Sana’s face contorted into a grimace of some sort. Momo recognized the face as the one Sana made when she was trying not to cry.

 

“Is it that emotional?” Momo reached out and rubbed Sana’s arm. Sana shook her head, leaning her head back and blinking rapidly before looking back at Momo.

 

“You’re a big cheese ball, that’s all,” Sana let out “I’ve been wanting you to do this type of stuff for the longest time,” Sana admitted through a laugh. “So I really appreciate this so far.”

 

“Well, it technically took me years to put together. I don’t really know how Jihyo manages to write like a million poems for Mina during their anniversaries together.” Momo grinned.

 

“She’s good with words and has a lot of love to give to all of our members, but especially to Mina. That’s only one of the many reasons as to why she’s our leader.” Sana reasoned as she went through the pages, going to the second to last marked page. It was dated on the day they started dating.

 

Fuhen-san, you’ll never believe it.

 

You’ll never believe it because you’re a lifeless piece of paper, but I and Sana are dating!!!!!

 

I’ve had a lot of emotional turmoil about confessing to her, but after a lengthy talk with her alone, it ended up just slipping from my mouth. I had cursed to myself at first, but then Sana said: “I feel the same” and when I turned to her, she kissed me!

 

It wasn’t like any of the short, less than second long kisses we’ve had before, but a kiss-kiss. I was so shocked that I couldn’t speak when we finally parted. After that, we didn’t even really say much, but we just kept exchanging kisses~~

 

I’m so happy~~!!

 

I had to ask whether we were dating and she teased me and said: “Of course, I wouldn’t be kissing you like this if you weren’t my girlfriend.”

 

My heart nearly burst when she called me her girlfriend. I had been riding the suspicion she didn’t like girls in the first place, but oh boy am I glad it worked out in the end…

 

I really love her.

 

Please congratulate me, Fuhen-san. Let’s find you, someone, too!!

 

“Are you going to the last marked page now?” Momo asked, peering over. Sana hummed in response. “I’m excited.”

 

“You must’ve written something real tear-jerking then because the last time you were excited when I was reaching the end of something was when you recommended that drama to me.” Sana scoffed back playfully.

 

“It’s a different excited.”

Sana looked down at the final marked page, at the very last page of the journal. Her heart stopped.

 

Will you marry me?

 

Scrawled out in familiar handwriting in large letters was the question Sana expected the least. Sana’s eyes shot up to Momo who was now holding a small, black box.

 

“Uh, you probably know what I’m going to ask and I’m really bad with words but,” Momo flipped the box open, revealing the ring hidden inside. “Will you marry me?”

 

Momo didn’t need Sana to voice out a response to get her answer as Sana tackled her in a bear hug.

 

They relished the time enveloped in each other’s arms.

 

The journal was forgotten.

 

Bonus;;

 

“Wow, Sana and Momo at it again arranging for us to all meet up, but being late at the dinner they planned.” Jeongyeon sighed, hailing down a waiter to refill her drink.

 

“It’s not unlike them, so I’m not surprised.” Jihyo mused. Jihyo leaned over out of the booth and spotted two familiar figures heading their way. “Ah they’ve finally arrived it seems,”

 

“Hey guys, sorry we’re late.” Momo apologized, hand clasped over Sana’s as they approached the booth. “This is my ex-girlfriend, Sana.”

 

All seven pairs of eyes bulged at the couple.

 

“Momo, you’ve got to stop introducing me like that,” Sana scolded. “I’m her wife.” In synchronized unison, but also with the power of God and anime on their side, both Sana and Momo held their hands up, showcasing their rings.

 

They got kicked out of the restaurant for making too big of a commotion.

-

a/n;; i refused to go to sleep until i finished this because i knew when i fell asleep i would lose all of that good writing juice you know... anyway sort of based on something i've done, sort of not. also unrelated, but i sort of hate that tide pod meme, but i can't help but think....... that momo would definitely make a tide pod meme..... or just.,,,,, munch on a tide pod.... anyway time for me to get some sleep.