yes siree buster

one by one

Personally, Sana’s smile is my favorite.

 

I’m not biased, hear me out.

 

The way she smiles has this little something to it that makes it my favorite. Yeah, her smile could easily outshine the sun and I’m fairly sure if I wanted to make sure my plants were getting enough sunlight, all I would have to do is make her smile at them. See, the corners of her eyes would crinkle a bit. You know how that happens when you smile sometimes? That happens with her every single time she smiles.

 

Do you know how adorable that is?

 

Then - oh lord - the way her eyes sparkle when she smiles. Imagine me looking at jokbal. You know how much I love jokbal? That’s the same look she gives off whenever she smiles.

 

Wonderful.

 

Her smile is really contagious though. Did you know that? Well now you do because I just told you so. Contagious, is a simple word to describe it, but it really lights up the world as brightly as that massive star in the sky does every day.

 

Like the fresh warmth of the first day of summer, or the gentle cool breeze that hits you as the leaves change color. Imagine the first snowfall of the season, or seeing the buds start to form on tree branches as the cold subsides into chilled winds and humid air.

 

Sometimes if I ever need a smile myself, I tell her a cheesy joke - because she always laughs at those jokes - and there it is.

 

Wow.

 

“What kind of bagel can fly?” I asked, biting my cheeks.

 

already started to curve upwards, a small smirk on her face as she shrugged.

 

“A plain bagel.” I grinned at her as she broke into one as well. Her eyes were shining, her smile was different - broad, unrestrained and cheerful. I couldn’t help but release a chuckle, my hand covering my mouth partially as I watched the younger girl. If you’ve been listening, you’d remember that Sana’s smile is my favorite.

 

“God, that’s terrible Momo.” Her voice cracked, but she didn’t care. I didn’t either. Why would I?

 

“You laughed though,” I retorted, “You know your hiccup laugh? You did that one. That’s my favorite laugh.”

 

“You seem to have a lot of favorite things about me.” Sana eyed me a bit, her voice sheepish.

 

“You’re my favorite person so ultimately, everything about you is my favorite thing.” Blunt response. Way to go me. Reader? You saw that right? Yeah, I’m doing well aren’t I?

 

Sana wasn’t talking anymore. I wasn’t talking anymore either. There was a static noise in the background, but I was sure the television wasn’t on. You know that sound? The sound that your mind creates to fill in the complete and utter silence during moments like these? And you know that one place in a foreign country where there was a room designed so it would be completely silent?

 

You ever felt like you were stuck inside there during an awkward moment?

 

I was there right now if you were paying attention.

 

Sana looked down, her eyes refusing to meet my own. Ouch. A strained silence settled between us and I wondered exactly why it was so tense. Once more Sana looked up, but I was not met with the weary eyes I had expected. What exactly had I saw? I could describe that the light in the living area brought out a hazel color in her eyes, or maybe that I saw the way her pupils dilated as they focused on me. How I saw her eyebrows crease and move into a relaxed expression as she finally faced me.

 

I could.

 

Could.

 

I wouldn’t though, because despite how I could go on about how she had the most beautiful brown eyes I’ve seen in my entire life, there was a much easier way to describe it.

 

Beautiful.

 

“You’re my favorite person too, Moguri.” Sana took my hand. She intertwined our fingers and softly kissed the back of my hand. Do you know what that feels like? I felt like I had just gotten off of the Apollo 11 spacecraft and stepped onto the moon.

 

The moon!

 

Sana’s eyes, I realized, shined a bit whenever she looked at me. At me! Do you want to know how I know? It might be because I always look at her eyes whenever she’s not looking, but when she looks at me they seem to smiling at me the same way she smiles with . You know what her smile is like.

 

Her.