yuri on ice

one by one

“Come on Momo, you can just rent some skates when you get to the rink - don’t be so stubborn about this.” The distinct, loud voice of Jihyo echoed from behind Momo’s dorm room door. Momo rolled her eyes, continuing to scroll through her phone as she ignored the younger girl. After two more knocks, there was a moment of strained silence. “Okay, fine. I give up.”

 

There was a silence and for a moment Momo had thought Jihyo had really given up. (Why would she think that? How stupid could she be?) That was before Momo’s eyes widened at the sight of Jihyo practically bursting through her door, a pleased look on Jihyo’s face.

 

“When the hell did you get a key to my dorm, Jihyo?” Her face contorting into one of mild shock and a little bit of “what the ”, Momo jumped up from her bed to eye Jihyo. The latter let out a chuckle - a chuckle as she rummaged through her handbag, a smug look on her face.

 

“I never got your dorm key, silly,” Jihyo reprimanded playfully, her tone playful, “I picked the lock obviously.” Momo blinked a few times, trying to comprehend what her friend said.

 

“How is that any better? Jihyo? I’m worried? Are you secretly a criminal?” Momo’s spew of questions went ignored by the shorter girl as she looked around, probably judging the state of mess Momo’s dorm room was in. Momo would’ve said something about how Jeongyeon was to blame for the mess, but the pile of clothes and littered trash happened to be on Momo’s side of the room. Guess there was no real way to explain that one if she wanted to throw Jeongyeon under the bus.

 

“I’m not a criminal, just a caring friend. You spend the entire weekend sleeping? Let’s just go out with some of the girls and go ice skating!” Jihyo took Momo’s hand enthusiastically and gave Momo The Look™. This look was the one Jihyo would give you to tell you “You have no way to get out of this one so don’t even fight me on it or so help me I will throw your into a hell and back because you will never win a fight against me even if you signed a contract with Lucifer himself.” Momo rolled her eyes and half-heartedly smiled at Jihyo.

 

“You know it’s winter so I could go out to the campus pond, slap on a pair of skates and do some sick ballerina moves on the ice, right?” Momo’s lips curled into a slight smile.

 

Momo.”

 

“Yeah, yeah let me get my phone.”
-

“Who else is coming?”

 

“Well, there’s Mina, Chaeyoung and Nayeon. They’re probably already at the rink since Nayeon offered to drive the two of them there. Right now they’re waiting for us I bet.”

“Okay, okay you don’t have to shame me anymore for taking so long to find my phone. I swear I was just holding it when you broke into my dorm room!” Momo countered, sheepishly looking away.

 

“I did not break in!” Jihyo protested, slapping Momo’s arm who huffed in response.

 

Fine.  Forcibly entered my dorm room. How’s that mom?” Momo sneered at Jihyo, sending her a teasing, scrunched up expression. Jihyo responded by using her hand to push Momo’s face away and into the car window as they reached a stoplight.

 

“I’ll accept it.” Jihyo sighed, slowly pressing into the gas as the light turned green.

-

The moment they got there, Momo felt her anxiety start to spike. It was a busy day at the rink, especially with it being the weekend during winter break. Momo recognized a few familiar faces from her university and tried her absolute best to not make any eye contact with them at any cost because she was not up to hold a conversation with anyone other than her friends. Jihyo watched Momo out of the corner of her eye and felt herself soften for the older girl. If she had known it was going to be this busy at the rink, she wouldn’t have brought the offer up to the older girl.

 

Jihyo was aware of Momo’s social anxiety and she knew the girl got extremely antsy and overwrought when put in a situation where she had to interact with a lot of people. (Jihyo had flashbacks to when the professor called on Momo to answer a question and after five minutes of strained silence with the occasional “well,” and “um,” the teacher never seemed to call on Momo the rest of the semester.)

 

“Hey, Momo, you doing okay?” Jihyo placed her hand on Momo’s shoulder comfortingly. “I can drive you back, it’s completely okay-”

 

“No, don’t,” Momo slightly shrugged Jihyo’s hand off her shoulder, taking a breath as she paused. “I can do okay here. Just walk with me to the girls and I’ll be fine from thereon so you can rent our skates.” Sending a weary smile towards Jihyo’s way, Jihyo sighed and stayed close to Momo as they sought out their friends.
-

It turns out Nayeon had been trailing the pair for the past three minutes in the rink, calling their names, but failing as it was too crowded and loud for the two to notice or hear the eldest girl. When Nayeon had finally caught up enough to tap Jihyo’s shoulder she was visibly out of breath. Her hand was on her hip as she raised a hand to the other two girls, evening her breathing.

 

Momo turned her head to the side, hiding her chuckle as Jihyo looked at her unnie with a delighted grin on her face when she spotted the older girl.

 

Ha, Momo thought to herself, Jihyo, your gay is showing.

 

“Nayeon! We’ve been looking for you!” Jihyo claimed, sparing a glance at Momo who was starting to relax now that she saw another familiar face.

 

“I - I’ve been chasing after you guys for a bit. I’ve been yelling your names and getting weird looks from people, but you must’ve not heard me because you kept walking.” Nayeon confessed, her hand pressing against her chest as she felt her heartbeat finally start to slow down.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t hear you over the noise.” Momo giggled as Nayeon scowled at her.

 

“Me neither, I apologize,” Jihyo interjected, trying to make sure Nayeon didn’t end up killing Momo before they even got onto the ice. Nayeon immediately (and disgustingly, Momo recited in her head) softened at Jihyo as she turned her head, losing the glower she had on her face just a second ago.

 

“It’s fine, Jihyo! I understand the people here are pretty loud since there’s just so many of them.” Nayeon gave Jihyo a toothy grin while Momo sent daggers Nayeon’s way.

 

“You biased head.” Momo stuck her tongue out at Nayeon who shot Momo a dirty look. “Can we just find the other pair of gays so I can become a fifth wheel?”

 

“First, let’s get you and Jihyo a pair of skates.”

-

“Ah, the mothers arrive with their spoiled child it seems,” Chaeyoung announced as she saw the three of them step into view. “Did you hear they’ve playing Girl’s Generation music for the past twenty minutes? I want to talk to the person playing the songs and give them a hug because it’s been bop after bop the entire time we’ve been here.”

 

“Before that it was Gashina,” Mina added, not really specifying who she was saying that to.

 

“You mean Gayshina.” Momo snorted to herself as she sat herself down on the bench. “I love me a classic lesbian icon.” Momo mused as she took the pair of skates Jihyo was holding and started to take off her boots.

 

“Now that pabo Momo is here, we can finally get skating and I can show off my girlfriend’s amazing figure skating skills.” Chaeyoung whooped, Mina visibly getting flustered at the younger girl’s antics.

 

“Hey, don’t be too PDA around Momo, Chae,” Nayeon reminded, setting a hand on Chaeyoung’s shoulder as she crouched down a bit. “She’s still a single pringle, remember?”

 

“Yes, grandmother,” Chaeyoung voiced in what Momo pegged as the most reaffirming granddaughter like tone she’s ever heard.

 

(Update: Chaeyoung has now been put on “do not trust when they are trying to coax you” list and quite frankly, Momo’s surprised she hasn’t sensed this earlier.)

 

Momo finished tying the lace of her left skate on in a neat little bow as she stood up and stretched, trying to get the feel of being on ice skates. It’s not that Momo hasn’t ever ice skate, more like she wasn’t that good at it. Sure, if she stayed to the side and drifted towards the wall of the rink every now and then to regain balance, she was a-okay. If you tried to get her to go faster than the speed of awkwardly walking in attempts for the blade to start sliding on the ice, you’d have a problem.

 

Momo looked up. Mina was already on the ice, coaxing Chaeyoung to come onto the ice (because apparently, it was Chae’s first time to skate so maybe Momo wouldn’t look so bad next to her.) Mina’s attempt in leading Chaeyoung onto the slippery surface ended up with Chaeyoung taking Mina’s hand only to squeal loudly the moment she stepped onto the hard surface and fall into Mina, almost making the penguin fallback if it weren’t for her surprising upper body strength.

 

(Momo gagged; she loved her friends but sometimes that was too sweet for her.)

 

Momo followed behind Chaeyoung wearily, mind becoming much too aware of the people that skated around them. Momo started to pick at her hands a bit, trying to get a grasp onto the wall as she watched Chaeyoung start to regain her balance.

 

“Here, I have a proposition, since Chae’s still learning, one of the easiest things that helped me start to skate was taking a friend’s hand and gliding along the ice with them.” Mina proposed, hand firmly grasped on Chaeyoung’s arm, who looked as if she were ready to have a heart attack.

 

“I’m up for it,” Momo shrugged, turning her gaze to Chaeyoung.

 

“I - I will, um - um, yes fun sounds like a plan.” Chaeyoung her lips as she stuttered. Mina used her free hand to clench her heart and Momo did have to admit, a nervous Chaeyoung was pretty cute.

 

Momo took Chaeyoung’s other hand while Mina led in front, skating slowly next to the wall in case any of them were to lose balance and needed a second to get back on their feet. Momo’s eyes were trained on the ice as they glided, trying not to pay homage to the people around her and instead trying to have fun with her friends.

 

Momo spared a glance and looked up to see Nayeon and Jihyo finally stepping out of the bench area and getting on the ice. The two were holding hands and Momo could just hear Jihyo’s loud screech as she slipped and fell onto the ice the moment she stepped onto it, bringing Nayeon down with her as a result of them holding hands.

 

Idiots, Momo smiled to herself, her grip somewhat tightening on Chaeyoung’s hand as she thought about how much she loved her friends.

 

Momo was soon pulled out of her musings when she felt a light tap on her shoulder. Momo perked up but didn’t dare look behind her. Perhaps someone accidentally brushed past when skating around her. There was another moment before Momo heard the scratching of the blade against the ice move forwards to her and -

 

Another tap on the shoulder.

 

The brunette started to veer towards the wall, effectively making Mina and Chaeyoung drift there as well, both giving her a look as to why she pulled over to the wall.

 

Momo finally turned when she heard the sound of presumably the same person coming up behind her now that Momo had stopped.

 

Oh.

 

Oh no.

 

This girl was hot.

 

The Japanese girl almost stepped back a bit when she was greeted with this person’s face. Was it possible for someone to look that cute and so alluring at the same exact time? Momo didn’t think it was, but here it is, an actual, literal example of what she thought angels looked like.

 

“Do you go to my university?” The pretty girl asked somewhat shyly and Momo could only think that the light pink color dusted across the pretty girl’s face was because of how cold it was in the rink.

 

“Uh, the one like three streets down?” Momo hesitatingly questioned, knowing that Mina and Chaeyoung were still just as confused as she was herself.

 

“Yeah! That one!” The pretty girl grinned at Momo. Grinned! Pretty Girl grinned at Momo! “I’ve seen you around campus and I’m in one of two of your classes this semester, but I’ve never talked to you. There’s a lot of people from our school here today, isn’t there?” The girl rambled and Momo realized that her voice was really pretty and that she could probably listen to it for days on end, but -

 

Wait.

 

This girl went to her university and had classes with her?! Wonderful. Momo’s never even noticed her - how had she never noticed her? Surely she would’ve seen a girl this pretty? Or maybe the girl is in her morning classes when Momo gives maybe two s about what she’s learning and no s at all about any of her classmates. Maybe the girl had ulterior motives, maybe it was an elaborate prank set up by Jeongyeon.

 

“Why - Why are you here again?” Momo maintained her casual demeanor despite cursing herself off in Japanese for sounding so curt with the pretty girl.

 

“Oh, well I was just wondering if you could hold something for me?” The pretty girl started to fiddle with the strap to her handbag that Momo only just now realized she had. Was the girl going to the bathroom or something and didn’t want to bring her what seemed to be very expensive handbag into a public restroom?

 

Momo could understand that.

 

What Momo couldn’t understand was did this girl not have any friends or acquaintances that she came to the rink with?

 

(Momo considered being the person to skate around with her in place of the people she didn’t have with her for a second.)

 

“Uh okay, what do you want me to hold?”

 

And quite possibly, just then and there came what Momo thought to be one of the cheesiest things she ever heard in her entire life, but what also happened to be one of the smoothest lines that has ever been delivered to her in such fashion. This was the highlight of Momo’s entire year. With the silkiest voice Momo’s ever heard and the smoothest transition from standing straight to holding their hand out in a flirtatious pose, the pretty girl answered.

 

“My hand,”

 

Momo blinked.

 

Then, she blinked again, for good measure this time around.

 

Inside the small circle of people that included the pretty girl, Mina, Chaeyoung and Momo, there was a strained silence in where they didn’t know whether to laugh or to find the situation awkward.

 

“I -” Momo sputtered, hands flailing as she tried to make out coherent words. In her spurt of awkwardness, Momo’s legs decided to give up on her as she fell backward, wincing as her back hit the ice.

 

Before Momo could even catch the simplest glimpse at pretty girl’s face, she had skated away, probably to reflect on how her pick up line made the girl she was trying to impress fall down. Chaeyoung burst out in a fit, completely hysterical at this point as Mina helped Momo up, hiding her own laugh as she talked to Momo.

 

“I - I uh I didn’t know you knew Sana,” Mina stammered, in between laughs. “Didn’t think she’d try to flirt with you with a ridiculous pick up line…” Mina paused again, hand covering . “Didn’t think you’d fall down because of her pick up line I’m -” Mina lost it at that point, joining Chaeyoung, resting an arm on the wall as she clutched at her stomach.

 

Wonderful, Momo thought to herself, rubbing her upper back, massaging a bit at her shoulder blades because of the fall she had taken. Absolutely wonderful.

-

Penguin:

I have her number u know

 

PaboMomo:

and what exactly are you insinuating right now…?

 

Penguin:

Send a quick text, that’s all my dude,,

PaboMomo:

Penguin:

Or apologize for being so swooned at her attempt to flirt, you fell down??? Idk

 

PaboMomo:

Fine, u cuck

-

PaboMomo:

Uuuh, hey, this is the girl from the ice rink you tried to flirt with!!

 

PaboMomo:

Lil awkward for me to do this, but u were real cute tryin to swoon me!!!

 

PaboMomo:

I’m sorry I fell like immediately after,,, i’m just awkward af my bad…

 

IceRinkGirl:

Honestly, it’s completely fine!!!

 

IceRinkGirl:

Uhh ur hella cute and i’m bad at flirting obviously so it’s ok

 

IceRinkGirl:

Ur name is Momo right???

 

PaboMomo:

Yea! Wbu?

 

IceRinkGirl:

It’s Sana :^) call me whatever tho

 

PaboMomo:

I’m sorry I didn’t recognize you at all, i feel bad

 

Sanaring:

It’s fine, half the time ur asleep in our classes together so-

 

PaboMomo:

Lool. oh yeah, sana

 

Sanaring:

What’s up?

 

PaboMomo:

Could i still take u up on that offer to hold your hand?

 

PaboMomo:

Maybe tomorrow for a movie date at 1?

 

PaboMomo:

Or not idc ahahaaaa

 

Sanaring:

Ur a cute idiot. I’ll see you tmrw, can’t wait to hold ur hand ;^))

 

Despite it being sent as an emoticon on her screen, Momo couldn’t help the bright smile that grew on her face or the blood that rushed to her cheeks when she saw the winky face Sana sent her.

 

Oh boy, was she really all in for this one.

-

a/n;; references after references in this one folks. got that good gay anime and a homage to one of my favs on YT, JaidenAnimations. check her out my dudes. anyways i hate this but, a post is a post i might edit later sometimes but i gotta sleeps now thank you for reading hope you enjoyed