flannel

one by one

“Mina,”

 

“Momo, I’m trying to have a conversation.”

 

“Mina, seriously.”

 

“This is serious, Momo. Don’t interrupt me.”

 

“That’s a lie.” Momo’s head snapped towards Mina and leaned forwards so she could properly look at the girl sat on the barstool next to Mina. The brunette girl had her hair cut short and seemed younger than Mina. Momo bit her tongue when she felt the need to ask Mina if the girl she was trying to get in her bed was even legal. “Hey you, this girl here is flirting with you because she wants to get in your pants!”

 

Mina’s eyes widened as she choked on her drink, half of it spilling onto the bar as she wheezed out a cough, pounding on her chest. The girl Momo had spoken to reddened, hiding her face behind a hand, her attempt to conceal her blush useless as her red ears peeked out from her hair. Momo snickered at the scene while she patted Mina’s back who still couldn’t seem to catch a breath as she let out more otherworldly sounds as she cleared .

 

No regret passed Momo’s mind, only some remorse for the poor bartender who would have to clean up Mina’s spilled drink.

 

“Momo, what the ?” Mina sputtered, still finding it difficult to speak properly.

 

The latter laughed briefly before turning her head back to see if the girl she had spotted moments before was still there.

 

“I just have one quick question before you go back to trying to get laid.” Mina sent a cold glare to Momo, who seemed to be enjoying her dilemma a little bit too much.

 

“Just ask me already before you go screwing up for me once again.”

 

“Do you think that girl over there that’s wearing that flannel is gay? Or you know, wouldn’t be completely weirded out if I started flirting with her?” Momo didn’t bother turning before pointing in the girl’s direction. She had been staring at her all night, Momo was almost positive she had all of her features memorized. Or maybe the ones she could see from her distance.

 

Mina leaned back a bit to see who Momo was referring to. Sure enough, there was a girl sat next to two other girls who seemed to be bickering with each other. Poor girl sat awkwardly to the side, not even attempting to intervene with the two. Mina sat back in her seat properly, arching an eyebrow as she saw the anxious look in Momo’s eyes.

 

“She’s wearing a flannel,” Momo nodded and Mina wondered how dense her friend could be.

 

“Common lesbian culture; I’d say give it a shot.”

 

Momo perked up immediately, her lips starting to curl up in the corners. Mina rolled her eyes at this, knowing that whenever Momo did that, she would do something stupid. (She spoke out of personal experience.)

 

“So if I flirted with her she wouldn’t reject my advances?” Momo theorized and Mina nodded immediately, waiting for the girl to finally move away so she could apologize to the girl she had been talking to previously. “Alright, wish me luck!”

 

Momo practically jumped out of her seat and Mina waited for her to be out of range before mumbling under her breath.

 

“You’ll need it desperately.”

-

Sana watched as Nayeon and Jeongyeon continued rambling to each other, no signs of stopping as they had already ingested enough alcohol to keep bickering mindlessly until the sun came up the morning after. Of course, that would be the case if they didn’t end up making up and making out in the next hour or so. So that was all Sana could do. Watch.

 

Then again, she let her eyes wander for the hundredth time that night to the bar where that cute girl had sat. She had noticed the girl the moment she walked in with her friends, only catching a look at the back of her head. Now, with a better view at the girl she realized wow, she was cute. Sana guiltily watched the girl and how her lips curled around the glass she was drinking from.

 

She didn’t know exactly why she felt guilty for watching the pretty stranger, but she did anyway. Sana had thought about going over there a couple of times, but she was almost positive that the black haired girl next to her was her girlfriend.

 

The blonde’s eyes moved towards the bar and she almost recoiled in her seat as she instead found said pretty stranger walking in her general direction, she hid her face, instead seemingly deep in conversation with Jeongyeon and Nayeon even though the two didn’t even acknowledge her. That’s some sort of new level of third wheeling, Sana thought briefly before turning her head when she felt a light tapping on her shoulder.

 

Yup.

 

There was the pretty stranger she’s been admiring all night and Sana felt that maybe if she took another shot or two, she would pass out on the spot.

-

Momo liked to consider herself a good flirter. She could call herself a ‘ladies lady’ if she wanted. So as she felt her hands get clammy every step she took towards this incredibly attractive girl that she was assuming like girls from her attire, she felt as if she was digging her own grave, ready to jump down the 6-foot hole and bury herself alive.

 

She even watched as the girl grew wide-eyed at her approach, turning immediately and trying to make it seem she was invested in the conversation beside her. Momo felt herself die a little bit more, thinking about how much the pretty girl was trying to avoid any sort of contact.

 

Of course, alcohol isn't called liquid confidence for anything. Momo took in the smell of many indistinguishable things, but mostly the smell of liquor and alcohol and tapped the girl on the shoulder.

 

(Momo got hit in the face with the girl’s hair, but she wasn’t even going to try and complain. This girl’s hair was so silky it was like a cloud-brushed across Momo’s face. She wondered what type of conditioner the girl used.)

 

“Uh, hi?” The girl sounded nervous and Momo didn’t blame her. A sketchy girl walks up to you in a crowded bar after staring at you the entire time and you plan on greeting them with open arms? Momo didn’t expect any more than what she had gotten from the elegant stranger.

 

“Hi, I’m just a little bit drunk, but I thought you looked way too pretty to be skulking around in a bar full of disgusting people. Want to chat for a bit?” Momo’s speech was slurred and the girl smiled - and wow Momo was positive her smile could rival the sun any day - at Momo. She patted on the stool next to her and Momo got the signal and sat down.

 

“Don’t you have a girlfriend over there by the bar?” The pretty girl questioned, looking back towards Mina. Momo’s eyes almost bulged

 

“No, no,” Momo spluttered, expression frankly confused and lowkey disgusted. "Her and I got that sister from another mister kind of deal going on. She’s trying to pick up some chick right now as we speak anyway.” Momo waved off the pretty girl’s comment. “What’s your name?”

 

“I’m Sana,” the girl introduced herself and something clicked in Momo’s head. The girl sounded faintly Japanese, but if she was then her Korean was far better than Momo’s. Maybe that’d be a topic to discuss later. “What about you?”

 

“Momo,” The brunette shifted in her stool. “I was just wondering -” Momo paused as she propped her elbow onto the table, resting her head on her palm. She hadn’t expected to get this far; her mind blanked, eyebrows furrowing. “What material is your flannel made out of?”

 

What material was her flannel made out of.

 

What material was her flannel made out of.

 

Momo repeated this line in her head again, then once more for good measure. The gears in her brain finally started turning as the words that had already been said replayed in her thoughts. Momo’s head hurt now - maybe it’s because of the alcohol or maybe it’s because Momo’s found that she’s crossed another line of absolute stupidity that she thought she could never achieve, but here she was.

 

Asking the pretty girl in the bar what ing material her flannel was made out of.

 

Sana herself had scrunched her nose up a bit, smirking a bit at the odd question, but her delighted demeanor didn’t cease. She extended her arm above the table, silently gesturing Momo to feel how the fabric felt. The corners of Momo’s lips tugged at Sana’s relentless attempts to be nice despite how awkward Momo was being.

 

Momo brought two fingers up to a loose piece of the flannel, fingers rubbing a bit at the soft fabric.

 

Not to be gay or anything, but as comfortable as it seems I’m sure we’d both enjoy it more on my bedroom floor. Momo mused in her head, the alcohol fogging up her head, destroying the last bit of decency that Momo had inside her.

 

“It’s soft,” Momo mumbled, “Must be comfy, huh?”

 

“It is,” Sana grinned, “Do you know what type of material it is?” Sana looked up at Momo, almost anxiously. Momo shook her head silently. “It’s quality girlfriend material.”

 

Momo’s eyes snapped towards Sana, theirs meeting instantly. Momo’s face contorted as she tried to come up with some sort of coherent sentence. Sana hinted - cheesily at that matter - that she was indeed into girls and that she was into Momo.

 

“You -”

 

“Girls? Oh yeah, definitely. I’m wearing a flannel, Momo; common lesbian culture.” Sana giggled, causing Momo’s heart to do a backflip. “I don’t know if you noticed though, but my friends haven’t even noticed you joined us at the table so I’m positive they wouldn’t give me a second glance if I had walked out of the bar with you.” Sana inched a little closer to Momo, their shoulders touching.

 

God, Momo was practically sweating buckets right now. This girl was ing hot.

 

Momo wondered what the girl would look like in a suit.

 

“Are you suggesting -” Momo got cut off by Sana quickly pecking her lips. Sana pulled back, a giddy smile on her face.

 

“My place or yours?”

 

Sana was glad she wore a flannel that night, even if it ended up on the bedroom floor halfway into it.

-

i lowkey dislike this, but it is true that flannels are lesbian culture ngl-

anyways ya'll should uh, give my twitter a follow

twitter - @nishiqueenka

thanks for reading folks. stan samo