Ch. 4

Reticent
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 4

After your emergency movie night you seemed to keep finding yourself in more and more comfortable situations with your flatmate.

You would lean into his warmth when watching TV, or he would pull you into his side while you were having regular movie night. Sometimes he would lie down on the couch and rest his head on your lap as he held your hand and played with your fingers - those were the times when you really felt the need to clutch your heart to make sure the little organ doesn’t jump out of your chest. Other times you would fall asleep with your head on his lap, after he made you admit that he’s better than the pillows you had there, and that’s when you’d wake up an hour later with a blanket on you and his fingers in your hair.

Unfortunately, none of this had gone unnoticed by Jongin and Sehun. Both of them seemed to constantly be watching you like a pair of hawks.

“So are you two going to get together or are we going to have to wait another three years before you reach the next milestone in your relationship?”

The words poked you like a sting and you immediately smacked Sehun with the ruler you were holding.

“Mind your own business, Sehun.” You hissed.

Jongin and Kyungsoo had gone to pick up coffee for the four of you, leaving you alone with the most naggy person in existence.

“You are my business, cupcake, you should be used to it by now.” He snapped back, completely undeterred by your attacks. “You should be thankful, if it wasn’t for Jongin by now I’d have had you both drunk and locked in a closet together until you finally get it on.”

You blushed furiously at his words, briefly reconsidering your entire friendship with this man.

“It’s maddening watching you two,” Sehun continued his ramblings, weaving his fingers through his dark hair in frustration.

“Why are you so invested in this, Sehun? You never cared about my exes.” You grumbled, now poking him with your ruler with every word.

“That’s because they were all .” He answered shamelessly, before continuing in a softer voice. “You’ve been my friend since day one in uni and you never let me down, I just want you to be happy, you know?”

And there it was, this is why you were friends with this man.

Sehun gave you a lopsided smile that you couldn’t help, but return. You got up and took Jongin’s spot so you could Sehun’s arm tightly.

“I have said this before, but you two are too sweet.” You admitted.

“I’m glad you’re finally openly acknowledging that fact,” Sehun chuckled, patting your head softly.

You almost jumped out of your skin when somebody kicked the chair you were sitting in.

“Move, this isn’t your spot.” Jongin grumbled behind you.

You looked up to glare at him, which didn’t have much of an affect as Jongin rolled his eyes at you, nodding his head to the side for you to move.

Kyungsoo was already quietly slipping into his seat, placing a red paper cup next to your pencil case.

You quickly got up, circling the table back to your chair. You took a sip of the sweet beverage, your body warming up immediately.

“It tastes like Christmas,” you whispered, your knee nudging the man next to you gently. “Thank you.”

Kyungsoo kept looking at his book, only giving you a slight nod in response. Your heart gave a little squeeze.

You looked up to see Jongin shaking his head in defeat and Sehun lifting an eyebrow, the shadow of a smirk playing on his lips.

~

“Since when do you guys hold Christmas parties?” You grumble, looking at your friends.

“Uhh, since now. Why are you so against Christmas all of a sudden? I thought you loved it?” Jongin questioned impatiently.

You sighed, focusing back on angrily doodling in your notes.

You were upset.

Kyungsoo had grown distant. Not completely avoiding you type of distant, but just enough to make you miserable. There was no watching TV together, there was no cooking together or any form of cuddling and now he was even skipping a study session.

Something was wrong.

What though?

You had come to the conclusion that he just no longer wanted what you two had built. For one reason or another he was done and that made your heart ache miserably.

“Fine, I’ll come to your Christmas party, I’m sorry.” You sighed tiredly, it wasn’t Jongin’s or Sehun’s fault that things hadn’t gone the way you had hoped.

What were you hoping for anyway?

Jongin sensed you were being moody so he just sighed too, nodding. Sehun on the other hand was watching you carefully, his lips pursed.

~

For the first time in quite a while you were going to a party on your own. Kyungsoo wasn’t home, he had texted you he’d meet you there and it made your heart sink, but you had to be stronger than this. You’d done this a thousand times, why should this be any different.

You took a deep breath and left the flat on your own.

Jongin let out a low whistle as soon as he opened the door for you. You looked him up and down and snorted. He seemed to be dressed as some sort of low budget hot Santa. He had a beard and a hat that already looked like it was falling apart, he also had bell tipped slippers on so

Please log in to read the full chapter