Ch. 1

Reticent
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

You’d known him for a while. Since your first year in university to be exact. You couldn’t really call him a friend though, an acquaintance was more appropriate perhaps.

You were in the same group friends, occasionally shared the same nights out, but you rarely spoke more than the basic pleasantries to each other, the trivial catch ups of people simply aware of each other’s existence and put in the same place. There was always a feeling of content between the two of you, you were happy with where your relationship was - in a pleasant plane of distant familiarity.

Few things last forever though and this was not meant to be one of them.

 

~

 

“How about it?” He whispered, his breath reeking of beer. “It’ll be fun I promise,” he continued, his fingers reaching to curl a strand of your hair behind your ear.

Some people are incapable of taking a hint, even under normal circumstances, let alone when they’ve had something to drink. He was leaning closer and closer, slowly trapping you between his body and the kitchen counter.

“No thanks,” you mumbled, lifting a hand and pushing against his chest.

He wouldn’t budge.

Your eyes were starting to dart to sides, desperately searching for a familiar face to help you out.

The guy leaned in, forcing you to whip your head to the side to avoid him invading your personal space even more.

“Sweetheart, there you are,” a familiar voice rang over the muffled music and chatter surrounding you. “I’ve been looking for you all over the place”

The guy in front of you was suddenly yanked by the shoulder, making him stumble backwards and clumsily lean on the opposing counter.

“Kyungsoo,” you breathed as the man smiled at you softly, his steely eyes, however, for once betraying his emotions.

“Come here,” he nodded, lifting an arm in your direction.

You didn’t think twice as you nestled yourself in his side, your arm slipping under his jacket as you hugged his waist. Your fingers were shaking and you were vaguely aware that you were probably digging your nails into him, but you couldn’t really focus on that. You shifted your attention towards him and him only.

Kyungsoo was warm. He smelled of light cologne and detergent. He was safe.

He gently caressed your shoulder, securely pulling you into him a bit more, before letting go suddenly and taking a step towards the guy that was still leaning drunkenly on the side and glaring daggers at both of you.

Kyungsoo leaned in slightly as he spoke, his voice flat, controlled.

“Get the out of this house.”

The guy scowled, seemingly ready to argue, but Kyungsoo took another step forward and that seemed to crush any lingering intentions. The guy cursed loudly before stumbling out. Neither of you took his eyes off him until the door was shut behind him.

A warm hand found it’s way to the nape of your neck, lingering there as warmth seeped through.

“Are you okay?” His voice rumbled next to you.

“Yeah,” you mumbled as you turned to face him. “All I wanted was a drink.”

“I’m sorry,” he replied, his dark eyes focused on you.

“Not your fault,” you said, smiling shakily at him. “Were you really l

Please log in to read the full chapter