Art of the Broken Ones

Not-so-secret SPOOK

Pairing : Chiyeon x Hoseok (BTS)
Genre : Supernatural, Fantasy, Romance, Angst
Words : 16,684
Written By : BehindTheLenses

 


“A flower bloomed already wilting. Beginning its life with an early ending…”

R. J. Gonzales

--------------------

 

 

I bet not a lot of people can recall the exact moment of death…

 

I can't entirely, I see it in disjointed scenes and whitewash colour…



 

I see fire, a moment where I’m trying to protect someone important to me.

 

I hear gunshots, more than seven to be precise, an overwhelming smell of gasoline and someone smiling down at me…

 

I can't recall much else, I'm losing my will… I don't know what else I need to do…


Then I’m floating. Above everything.

 

I’m not entirely sure how far I travel out of myself all I know is that it feels like forever. No gravity, no breath in my lungs, no heartbeat, it's like I’ve become a wisp of smoke, travelling on an endless journey, with no clear destination in mind.

 

Honestly, if anything, I figure my wandering self will float upwards, or ...downwards… but it doesn't, I just keep travelling on and on.

 

Then I stop.

 

Everything is so white and beautiful, it’s like fresh snow.

 

White. Dazzling. Pure. Peaceful.

 

And there I settle, before the white disappears, and I find myself standing in my childhood home.

 

Everything is silent… still… it's slightly unnerving, but I give myself to it.

 

I wait. I've been waiting so long…

 

September 28th 1973.

 

The day my physical body died, but my soul remained.

 

And as the years pass I lose that peaceful calm, and wish for nothing more than to move on… but I can not.


I thought I'd be alone for eternity, the idea was not comforting to me, that is… until she appeared.


~Hoseok~

A gentle pattering on the window filled my ears, and I watched the silver streaks of rain slide down the glass and hit the puddles below with a soft plink.

 

Setting my book down, I watched, the only beauty I could see from the confines of this place.

Almost thirty years had passed, the only way I could tell was by the change in the neighborhood, and the people I would see day in and day out, young and full of life, now shuffling by the window slowly, with hunched backs, white haired and eyes that seemed to hold no life in their depths.

 

Everything was changing, as I continued to remain here, not knowing what to do, or where to go…

 

I sighed. The days just continued to meld into each other, and all I wanted was to be at peace, but I could not, and that alone, hurt more than I could express…

 

I wonder, did I need to remember the events that led me to this moment? Would the answers be the only thing that broke my bind here?

 

Was that the reason I was here?

 

But how could I possibly remember?

 

The memories had been suppressed so much, I couldn’t even remember the faces of those I would see every day.

 

My grip tightened on my book.

I could feel my eyes burn, but no tears fell. They never did anymore… I felt so hollow…

 

A sound of a car pulled me from my thoughts and I adjusted my position so I could see clearly.

 

It slowed and stopped right outside, if I had a beating heart, it would be pounding.

 

Slowly, I sat my book down and moved closer to the window, the driver getting out and opening the back door.

 

A young woman stepped out, dark hair blowing around her face., obscuring her eyes. I don’t know why, but, I was drawn to her…

 

As she stepped around to the back of the car, opening the trunk and pulling out a battered suitcase, I realised something - she was coming here… into this house.

 

Without my knowledge, I found myself moving away from the window, moving downstairs and into the cold and bleak hallway, approaching the door.

 

This was as far as I could go, my spirit bound only to the house.

 

I watched the woman move away from the car, waving and offering what I think was a smile to the driver, before she turned away, and I saw her face fully for the first time.

 

Her dark eyes looked… sad… it was obvious she was hiding something within herself, and the way she moved her hair back from her face with trembling fingers, made me think she’d experienced more pain than she ever should have, the smile faded into a frown. She fixed her coat, and pulled her suitcase up the cobblestone drive, towards the entrance, head down, before setting it down and taking a key from her pocket.

 

She unlocked the door and I moved back into the shadows.

 

I had seen many people come and go here, the house had been up for sale for years, but no one wanted to purchase somewhere that a ghost occupied…

 

She was a rare case?

 

Then again, she probably wouldn’t want to stay here. No one ever did…

 

I looked down with a small sigh. I had always longed for company. It was lonely here… Maybe having someone here - I shook my head.

 

She couldn’t see me anyway. I was dead and she was living… or rather… trying to live…

 

Her aura was dark… sad… almost… broken?

 

Something about her slow steps as she walked fully inside and closed the door behind her, made me want to step out from where I was, just so I could comfort her.

 

Where did that come from?! What was I thinking? I don’t even know her… and what’s more, she’s human… I couldn’t even offer a friendly gesture...

 

I my lips and continued to watch, as her eyes searched around the hallways and she gave a small sigh, before she sank down, burying her face in her knees.

 

“You’re a mess Chiyeon…” I heard her whisper, and my still heart clenched.

 

Chiyeon?

 

She seemed to be shaking.

 

My hand reached out towards her, but I stopped myself just in time.

 

It took her a few minutes before she stood up, and fixed herself, a weak smile on her lips.

 

“Well, I can’t let it get to me, I’ve research to do…”

 

Research?

 

My curiosity was piqued.

 

She brought her case into the living room, and sat down in one of the leather chairs, a cloud of dust around her.

 

“Oh crap… I forgot, this place hasn’t been occupied in over thirty years…” She sighed and stood up, dusting off her pants, before her haunting eyes surveyed the room.

 

“I guess… I could clean it up a bit… it has to be done at some point.”

 

I watched her carefully as she took a bag from inside her case, made her way into the hallway once more, and into the kitchen.

 

Even her steps were lacking life, as though she had given up...

 

I frowned. What had happened to her, to make her this way?

 

I wanted nothing more than to speak up but how could I? I was a spirit.

 

You know you can’t make contact with the living Hoseok… Stop trying to…

 

I sighed at my thoughts. They were right of course…

 

Chiyeon went towards the grimy sink and opened her bag, tying a bandana around her dark cascade of hair, tied an apron around her waist and proceeded to take more and more cleaning equipment and supplies from her bag.

 

Her movement was a lot more lively than before, or maybe that was just her way of challenging her feelings, how could I know?

 

I stood back a bit and watched her, before my eyes widened, I could see a film of tears on her lashes, that didn’t seem to fall.

 

Before I could stop myself, I breathed out her name.

 

“Chiyeon…”

 

She paused and looked up in alarm and I froze, before I breathed out; What was I panicking for? She couldn’t even see me…

 

She wiped her eyes and opened her lips slightly as though to speak, before her phone began ringing, she answered, setting her duster down.

 

“Hello?”

 

I moved closer without my knowledge and listened as she spoke again.

 

“Yeah, yeah Dad, I’m settled in…”

 

A pause.

 

“Look, I’m not mad okay? I just wish you’d give it another chance... Being here is my choice okay?”

 

I strained to listen more, hearing the voice from the other end of the phone.

 

“Chiyeon, you have to be careful, with your gift you could -”

 

Gift?

 

“Look, I’m not a kid anymore, I know what I want, I know my limits -”

 

“How do you know he’s not still lingering?”

 

“And if he is? Dad I'm not the same as I was. I've seen more than I ever thought I would. I grew up way faster than a kid should…”

 

I frowned as the conversation continued, feeling invasive in a way. What right did I have to eavesdrop on something personal like this? But somehow, I couldn’t move away.

 

“Jeon Chiyeon, this isn’t a game anymore, I’m worried about you, if this turns bad… and your life is put at risk - You know what the Shamen said -”

 

“My life has been at risk, ever since I first found out about my ‘gift’ when I was six years old. How is this any different? It’s not like I have any other purpose. I lead the dead to the beyond Dad, I’m like an Angel of Death -”

 

“Chiyeon -”

 

“I have to go, I’m trying to get things together.”

 

“Chiyeon - I’m sorry… I’m sorry I didn’t -”

 

“Just forget it. Please?”

 

“You know to continue is a dead end -”

 

“You wanted to give up, he needs justice, and I’m going to find a way to give it to him.”

 

“Why are you so caught up on -”

 

“He was your best friend, Dad… Everyone gave up before finding the answers…”

 

“It was over thirty years ago. There was nothing to go on, no evidence -”

 

“Look, I really gotta go, I’ll find out the answers myself.”

 

“Chiyeon! Please, whatever you do, don’t try and communicate with them -”

 

“I’ll do what I feel is right…” She whispered

 

“Chiyeon, as your Dad, I’m begging you -”

 

“Trust me. Just this once, trust me.”

 

“Chiyeon!”

 

She hung up the phone, and sighed, putting it in her pocket.

 

What was that all about?

 

I couldn’t explain it, but a strange feeling settled on my still heart, somehow, I felt… anger? Hurt? I couldn’t understand why, after this long, the emotion suddenly appeared, all over hearing an unfamiliar voice on the phone.

 

Had I been here so long, that I was succumbing to madness?

 

I sighed and moved back to where I was originally standing.

 

Chiyeon sighed and rest her head in her hands, before she looked up and adjusted her bandanna, going back to her cleaning, but it was lacking life now.

 

Who was it on that phone? What gift? Endangering her life? I didn’t understand, but I wanted to, which was strange considering, I ‘d never even met this woman before, but somehow, she took all my attention, for some inexplicable reason, I couldn’t look away from her, I wanted to get closer to her, contact her somehow, and yet I didn’t understand why.

 

I gave a little sigh of my own. What was I doing? Why was I acting this way?

 

Or more specifically, what was it that drew me to Chiyeon, and made me unable to move from where I was? It was as if I couldn’t bear to leave her, as if, she had some sort of special connection to me.

 

She continued with her tired, almost lifeless cleaning for a few more hours, before she stopped, her hand pausing its dusting and I automatically found myself react with my body instead of my mind, when I suddenly saw her sway dizzily, holding a hand to her head.

 

Her face had drained of all colour and before I could stop myself, I made my way towards her and held her shoulders to steady her.

 

“Are you alright?!”

 

She looked up in alarm, before her dark eyes met mine, half lidded, confused, and for a moment, I truly regretted what I had just done. I broke the barrier between the living and the dead, and I could not go back. I had entered dangerous territory, having lived my spiritual life here in the shadows, without an ounce of communication with any living being, and yet, I had broken all that in just one simple, careless action.

 

And it was at that moment that I realised something else...

 

I could touch her. I could hold onto her like a normal human. How was this possible? I should have passed right through her, but I didn’t.

 

What kind of turn of events was this?

 

Chiyeon looked just as startled as me, a small, breathless, ‘who are you?’ leaving her lips before she slumped in my arms.

 

Even though I was overwhelmed, even though I was confused, I picked her up automatically, carrying her to the living room and laying her on the sofa.

 

How is it that I’m able to touch you? You’re warm - so full of life - how?!

 

It had been over thirty years since I’d been able to touch another person.

 

I watched over Chiyeon, sitting near the sofa, my arms wrapped around my knees.

 

Was she sick or something? How could she go from being completely fine - or as fine as can be expected from a broken woman - to suddenly passing out?

 

I shook my head, I had to research this, I’m sure there was something in the library, but until she came to, I’d stay by her side.

I could have sworn she saw me perfectly, she had spoken to me right?

 

Before she passed out she asked who I was… or was I so overtaken by the physical touch, I thought she did…?

 

No I’m almost sure -

 

Chiyeon shifted on the sofa, some words I couldn’t make out, falling from her lips.

 

I moved closer, and I’m sure if I was living, I would have been overtaken by nervous excitement.

 

“Hoseok… His name… Jung Hoseok”

 

I froze. Had I heard her correctly? There was no way she could have said my name, or maybe it was a coincidence. Yeah, that’s what it was, a coincidence, I’m sure there are thousands of Jung Hoseok’s around Korea.

 

I ran my fingers through my hair, gave another small sigh.

 

It would be better if I avoided anymore physical contact with her, she was broken enough without being scared out of her wits as well.

 

And besides, who knew what would happen if we came into contact with each other again?

 

Though, even as I scolded myself, I never moved from where I was. I just couldn’t bring myself to. She looked uncomfortable, even as she was laying there, a small frown between her eyebrows, breathing even.

 

What is this? This strange… overwhelming feeling?

I put a hand to my heart, felt it’s stillness, found myself longing to help her.

 

But why?

 

It took many more minutes before Chiyeon showed any sign of life again, she groaned softly, her eyelids fluttered and she slowly but surely opened her eyes. As soon as I saw the movement, I retreated back into the shadows again.

 

I can’t cause any more complications. What if I hurt her?

 

I couldn’t do that…

 

However, even as I said those words, Chiyeon sat up, looking around her, looking for me perhaps?

 

No. It was coincidence.

 

She continued to look around her, before she spoke.

 

“I know you’re here… I can sense you…”

 

I froze.

 

Sense me?

 

“I know you… I know your name…”

 

What?

 

So it wasn’t coincidence?

 

Cautiously, I moved away from where I was hiding, and almost timidly approached.

 

What am I doing?!

 

I tensed, stopping for a moment and looking down.

 

Chiyeon sighed softly, before she stood up from the sofa, and automatically, I hurried to help her.

 

Her eyes seemed to widen again, just like before, and looked down at where my hand was resting on her arm.

 

“So… you are…”

 

I somehow managed to find my voice, in the midst of my shock, at the fact that Chiyeon wasn’t running away from me.

 

“P - Pardon?”

 

Her expression seemed to soften a bit.

“Jung Hoseok, aged twenty three, passed away 28th of September 1973…” She recited, and I could have sworn, I felt my still heart beat at least once.

 

“H - how do you know that?”

 

Chiyeon looked down at the floor.

 

“Because… someone close to me knew you very well…”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

And how were we having such a casual conversation, as if we were both living beings?

 

“I… can’t tell you anymore than that… I’m sorry.”

 

A weight seemed to fall on my chest.

 

“O - oh… How are you not… I dunno, terrorised by me Miss Chiyeon?”

 

“I’ve seen worse and experienced worse than this Hoseok ssi… Part of the package for having the ability to see the dead…”

 

She had the Sense? Well duh! Of course she did…

 

“I - it seems so natural to you, as if you see a spirit every day.”

 

She gave a soft chuckle, and it sounded like bells, or, at least that’s how it seemed to me.

 

“For the amount of time I’ve had this gift, you’re not far off... “

 

“So you came here because -”

 

She nodded.

 

“I’ve been researching your case…”

 

So casual… how?!

 

Ah maybe this was a dream? Part of the insanity I was slowly falling into having been bound here for so long?

 

Yes, that had to be it.

 

She said no more, she just proceeded to walk towards the grimy dressing table and pulled out a yellowed phone book.

 

I watched her carefully, still convinced I was in a hallucination.

 

“Your situation still unsolved, brought me here… I have to be here… to save you.”

 

Save me?

 

No one could save me…

 

She only has a sixth sense, she doesn’t possess godlike powers. How can I be saved, if I can’t even remember what brought me to this point anymore?

 

“You don’t believe me.” She said quietly, still a strange, soft smile gracing her lips.

 

“What are you Miss Chiyeon?”

 

“You heard my phone conversation… I’m sure you know by this point.”

 

Her words silenced me. So she had been aware of my presence from the moment she first set foot through the door of this place.

 

Angel of Death

 

I shook my head.

“Such things don’t exist…” I whispered. “Or if they did, I wouldn’t still be wandering here.” I knew I was probably being rude. I didn’t mean to, but even a Shamen couldn’t get me to move on, and they were the most powerful ones for challenging spiritual energy than any other living being, what could Chiyeon possibly do?

 

If I couldn’t remember how I came to be here anymore, there was no way Chiyeon could -

 

I looked up sharply, when Chiyeon seemed to sway again, and steadied her.

 

“Whoa! Are you - are you okay?”

 

“Too much Spiritual energy I guess… Your spirit is the strongest one I’ve been faced with. It happens, my father thinks it’ll destroy me before too long...”

 

I blinked in surprise. How could she say such a thing so casually?

 

“D - destroy you?”

 

She gave another weak smile.

“I’m sure you know of the Shamen? Especially the most powerful one, Han Mi Ra?”


Something pulsed inside me and I actually felt my vision leave me momentarily, and some kind of burning, before it ended abruptly. Confused, I frowned and studied Chiyeon who in turn was studying me carefully with a small frown.

 

“I can sense you do…” she paused, but not for long, “ Well, she’s seen my future. Ever since I was born, I’ve been destined not to live past twenty one…” She shrugged, “But before the supposed ‘Spiritual energy consumes me’ I have an important thing to do first, I guess this one important thing will be like my graduation from my gift,”

 

How could she talk about this whole thing, without an ounce of fear? So naturally as though it were nothing?

 

I felt cold inside.


So… she would die or something? Fade away, before she got a chance to truly live?

 

Wait… what the hell was going on?! Why was this all coming out so easily?

 

Why didn’t she seem to care at all about it?

 

I don’t know why, but I felt anger, anger that she seemed to care so little about herself.

It seemed to consume me for a moment, and I was startled when the bulb above us blew, sending the room into a partial, moonlit, darkness.

 

Chiyeon looked just as surprised as I did, forming a little ‘o’ of surprise.

 

“You.. have strong emotions in your heart…”

 

I myself, was still a little dazed. Ever since I came into contact with her, my emotions that I swore had long since faded away along with those precious memories, had appeared again. It was a lot to take in. She’d only been here a mere few hours.

 

If this wasn’t an hallucination...

 

...Was Chiyeon really the only hope I had left? Was she truly supposed to save me?

 

But what did that mean? That she would be consumed by Spiritual energy, all as a payment for her great deed to me?

 

Or would that only be the case if she helped me remember what led me to be a lost soul here in the first place?

 

For the first time in my undead life, I didn’t want to remember…

 

Chiyeon looked into my own eyes with her own, before moving away, her back facing me.

 

“You’re wary aren’t you?”

 

“If I knew exactly what was going on here, then I wouldn’t be…” I said softly.

 

“Miss Chiyeon, I don’t understand. I’ve been drifting for over thirty years, I remember nothing of my past, and if I’m honest, I don’t want to remember…”

 

“So you’ll allow yourself to remain, and as time passes, let the darkest intentions fill your heart?”

 

I turned to her, confused.

 

“What?”

 

She kept her back to me.

“If a Spirit has been wandering for many years, without knowing it’s past or understanding it’s emotions, it changes…”

 

She turned to me, fixing me with an odd stare, fierce, almost.

“It most cases, it changes into an entity of malicious intent, a poltergeist I guess…”

 

“W - what do you mean?”

 

She nodded to the blown light bulb.

“It’s already starting, soon you’ll lose yourself to your darkest thoughts and emotions.”

 

She looked almost sympathetic, approaching me slowly.

“I cannot let you become like that. That’s why I came here… why I’m trying to get my father involved in this again…”

 

I was beyond baffled.

“I don’t understand…?”

 

Chiyeon her lips.

 

“My father, Jeon Jungkook.”

 

Jeon Jungkook?

 

Why did that name cause a strange feeling to resonate inside my heart?

 

“He’s head of the KNPA. He knew you very well.”

 

A sudden flash of white blinded my vision, accompanied by an indescribable burning in my chest, a blinding headache.

 

How could I feel pain?!

 

I gasped, and once my vision cleared, acknowledged a concerned Chiyeon standing in front of me.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

I just stood dazed.

 

What had I just experienced?

 

I shook my head,

“It’s nothing. It’s late, you need to rest properly… I mean, that is, if you can, in the presence of someone like me…”

 

The woman didn’t seem convinced at all, but I was too shaken and confused about everything that was happening in mere hours, not knowing the full story about Chiyeon, not understanding what was happening to me…

 

I turned away and floated out of the room and into the hall. I needed to try find answers, as to why, being in Chiyeon’s presence, caused all of this strange behaviour.

 

I knew I could find it… Somehow, I just needed to search as hard as I could.

 

Chiyeon was strange, but intriguing, I didn’t know what to believe, I didn’t know why simply hearing the unfamiliar name of Jeon Jungkook caused my body to go into a strange frenzy…

 

I settled myself on my window seat, and closed my eyes.

 

What had suddenly come over me?

 

Who exactly was this Chiyeon, and why, did I feel so drawn to her, to a point I didn’t want to lose her?

 

Why? Why? Why?!

 

If what she was saying about her gift, about Spiritual energy and the like, was true, than maybe I’d set myself up, for something even greater than I could possibly handle myself…

But, somehow, I needed to find out why. Who I truly was, and what led to this moment… only, fear consumed me, wouldn’t it be better not to know?

 

Could wishing for the truth, end everything I’d built up and destroy me?

 

Would knowing the truth and moving on, truly end the precious life Chiyeon should have been graced with for a long time?

 

But most of all… Why did I trust her so much? She a complete stranger whom I’d never seen before today...

 

I buried my face in my hands.

 

What would become of this?

 

Did Chiyeon really hold the key to my ending? My true ending.

 

An aggravated sound left my mouth, and I rest my head against the wall.

 

Jeon Jungkook…

 

Jeon Jungkook…

 

Who was he?

 

Once again, I felt my heart clench as before, and my eyes flew open, as a brief glimmer of a memory - or was it an hallucination again? - flashed in my mind, showing a young man with bunny teeth and… me? No, it couldn’t be…

 

What the?

 

But before I could even attempt to decipher it, as quick as it had came, it disappeared…

 

I was left feeling incomplete, once again…

 

None of this made any sense to me.

 

I’d lived an undead life so long, with nothing but a blank slate as my memory, and now…

 

I only felt afraid.

 

.

 

Lost.

 

A frustrated yell left me and I gasped as some books flew off the shelf across the room from me, and clattered to the floor, causing me to stand quickly in shock and rearrange them.

 

What was going on? Could I no longer control myself?

 

Why now?

 

I had to find out why…

 

For the first time, I dreaded what would happen to me.

 

I was afraid that if I unearthed what I could not remember, I would destroy myself.

 

And that alone scared me, more than I could express.

 

Could I face the truth?

 

Or would I become the dark entity I’d never wanted to be?

 

With no strength to stop it…

 

No, I couldn’t lose the last of my humanity…

 

I never wanted to bring pain to others…

 

Did I truly have no choice now?

 

Was there nothing I could do to prevent it?

 

I gripped my hair, pulling it.

 

God, what am I?! Who am I?!

I need to know...


~CHIYEON~

The young woman never slept, she just sat awake, caught up in her thoughts. She had been given her purpose, and she needed to figure it out, if she could only convince her father to reopen the case that his father - her grandfather - was once over.

 

The murder of Jung Hoseok, and his family.

 

No one could find any evidence. The KNPA from over thirty years prior, closed its doors on the case, when her father was only nineteen years old. He desperately tried to find out the truth, but came up empty too, only being acknowledged as a kid who was too innocent to pry into police matters.

 

Only, Chiyeon knew her father Jeon Jungkook held guilt deep inside his heart all these years. She knew.

 

From what she had found out from some old papers he had hidden in his room; Jungkook had been mentored in dance by Jung Hoseok, who at twenty three years old had been quickly climbing the ladder towards fame, and he wanted to share it with his best friend - his brother...

 

However, he never got to live out the rest of his dream. His life was cruelly taken from him, and he was powerless to stop it.

 

She had always known this would come to pass. She had her Fate written for her from the moment she was born.

 

“Your final selfless act of leading the lost souls to the beyond, it’ll come to be by your 21st birthday, are you sure you want this?”

 

“Yes… I’m sure… what other reason is there for my existence?”

 

The conversation she had held with Han Mi Ra, the most powerful Shaman in Korea, had been a short one, but it was final. It was the only reason she was still here.

 

Though her father had begged her to refuse, to change her Fate, only, Chiyeon knew nothing could be changed…

 

This is how it had to be.

 

She knew and accepted it, the only regret she held, was the regret that she would never be able to grow old and have a family of her own, but at least, for Jung Hoseok, she could do all she could to find answers, so he could pass on. Since her own father gave up on someone who was meant to be his brother, it was left to her.

 

Another sigh wracked her body and she stood from the sofa, making her way over to the window and looking out into the rain.

 

Where do we begin?

 

However, another thing was playing on her mind; she had been aware that her gift could allow her direct contact with the dead, as if they were living.

 

But, something sparked in her, something she could not for the life of her understand.

 

When he touched her, she felt… life form within her, something that made her heart beat fast and clouded her judgement, only she didn’t know what exactly this feeling was, it was not something she’d experienced before.

 

She sighed. No use over thinking, her feelings were not what was important here, she had only one goal, to lead Hoseok on.

 

God, times like this she wished she was just like everyone else…

 

“I… don't know where to start…” she whispered into the darkness.

 

“What am I supposed to do?”

 

She remained by the window for a little while longer, before she stood, making her way back over to the sofa, curling up and wrapping her arms around her knees, before burying her face in them.

 

There was only a couple of months left before her 21st birthday, and to be honest, Chiyeon knew her time was limited, Hoseok’s humane ways would soon become demonic and full of nothing but malice.

 

She couldn’t allow that to happen.

 

Checking the time, Chiyeon noted it was three am, and shortly after the small hand ticked past the twelve, she heard something down below. At first she thought it was her mind playing tricks on her, but as she shifted to hear better, she felt her heart pound violently.

 

She could distinctly hear gun shots… seven of them to be exact.

 

Could Hoseok hear them?

 

Rising once more, she grabbed a sweater from her suitcase and threw it over her rumpled clothes.

 

Was she losing her mind? Was it the lack of sleep, the approaching date of her end, that was causing her to hallucinate now?

 

She needed to check it out, somehow.

 

With trembling steps, she made her way down the hall, towards a bolted door, there didn't seem to be anything else to do, but to pull back the deadbolt.

 

Only silence greeted her for a moment as the door opened wide, to reveal the dark staircase leading down, but it didn't last long, she heard another seven shots and was overcome by nausea and dizziness.

 

There was dark energy down these stairs.Dark energy that made her head spin and grip the railing of the stairs.

 

It didn't take much longer for her to figure out why…

 

This had to be the place. The place where Hoseok's life was cut short.

 

Why else would it hold so much pain down in its depths?

 

Before she could stop herself, she made her way down into the darkness.

 


 

~Hoseok~

It was too silent.

More silent than usual.

 

I would usually hear the sounds of the night outside, the cars driving by, people coming home from the bars and clubs.

 

Tonight… I heard nothing.

 

I sighed before curling up on my window seat and closing my eyes for a moment.

 

Only for them to snap open almost immediately after when I felt a burning in my chest right where my heart should be, seven short stabs of pain, and I think I might have out for a moment, since I could hear sounds from way below me.

 

At first I thought it was my imagination, when there was a short silence, but soon after I heard the sound again, and groaned, my head was spinning, and I couldn’t understand why.

 

Stumbling to my feet, I tried to float towards the door, but I couldn’t see in front of me.

 

A blurred image appeared in my mind, and I gasped, my body on high alert as a foreboding feeling washed over me.

 

“Chiyeon…”

 

I didn’t know what it was that riddled me with panic, nor did I know, why specifically, I was being told Chiyeon was in trouble, or rather, that Chiyeon would soon be in trouble.

All I knew is that I needed to get to her.

 

Once I felt I had come back to my senses enough that I could see straight, I hurried out into the hallway and towards the basement.

 

I don’t think it had ever been used while I was alive, or as far as I could remember, it hadn’t.

 

But why was it, that as I got closer to the entrance of it, I felt a strange feeling fill my heart, and before I knew it, I was shaking, my arms wrapped around myself.

 

Why did I suddenly fear this place? I had passed by it countless times ever since I became a spirit, and it had never affected me the way it had now.

I shook my head. This wasn’t about me, I needed to get to Chiyeon.

 

With a shaking hand, I turned the handle and floated into the darkness.

 

My first instinct was, don’t go any further. Stop and turn back.

 

But I didn’t follow them, instead, I moved deeper inside, and floated down the stairs, that’s when I suddenly lost my senses, something was wrong.

 

Something was really wrong.

 

This place… This place was…?

 

In front of me, I saw her, Chiyeon. She looked over at me with wide dark eyes, before she made her way towards me in what I could only describe as a panicked manner.

 

“You can’t be here! Go back upstairs!”

 

I blinked in surprise and held onto her shoulders.

“What? What are you talking about?”

 

“Hoseok, I’m, telling you to go!” Her eyes were burning fiercely and I could feel her pushing me back towards the staircase.

 

“No. I need you to -”

 

Suddenly my vision dimmed for the third time in the space of hours and I could see myself, standing in this very room, but something had changed...

 

Something wasn’t right…

 

It was cold. That’s all I felt. Cold. My breaths were stuttering, my fingers were numb.

I could feel my heart beating in my chest, forcefully, painfully.

 

I was... living…

 

Was this…?

 

Cold floor met my cheek, my vision was fading in and out.

 

Something clicked, and shortly after, seven loud shots, and that succession of seven sharp pains in my chest.

 

I heard the sound of something sloshing to the ground, followed by a strong smell of… gasoline?

 

I could smell something metallic, mixed in with the fuel. Holding my hand to my chest, I saw my fingers stained scarlet, and shortly after that, a glaring heat, flames rose up around me, and my eyes began to sting...

 

I suddenly snapped out of it, and leaned against the wall dazed, the flames, the smell of gasoline, it had all disappeared. I was standing in a derelict basement with a very concerned Chiyeon staring at me.

 

“W - what just -?”

 

“Are you stupid?! I told you to go back!” I saw no trace of the quiet, broken Chiyeon that just stepped through my doors hours before, this was a different Chiyeon.

 

A fiercer Chiyeon.

 

“I - I was -”

 

“Did everything I said earlier mean nothing?” Her voice softened.

 

“What?”

 

“Tell me…” she moved away from me and looked down.

 

“You saw something didn’t you?”

 

I frowned, remaining silent for a moment, before I spoke.

“I… I think so… but… It doesn’t make any sense to me…”

 

Chiyeon seemed to glance behind her, before taking my hand and leading me from the room.

 

“Let’s get out of here.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Come on Hoseok…”

 

She seemed eager to leave the basement, and I couldn’t blame her, for what I had just experienced, I didn’t want to stay any longer.

 

The scene I saw play out in my head, I couldn’t explain it. Why after all this time, had this happened? I wasn’t going to lie, it unnerved me.

 

It seemed so real, I was in that moment of panic, I could feel and hear everything…

 

If I could just figure out what all of it meant, then maybe I could shine some light on what happened here.

 

The place seemed strange and familiar to me, but I couldn’t remember ever setting foot in there…

 

When I came to myself once again, I was back in the living room, Chiyeon was sitting on the sofa, head down, dark curtain of hair covering her face.

 

“Ch - Chiyeon?”

 

She said nothing, only let out a long and soft sigh.

 

“Do you know what happened to me down there?”

 

Chiyeon said nothing, which didn’t help with my nervous disposition.

 

“Chiyeon?”

 

She stayed silent for a moment longer, before she sighed, looking up slightly.

 

“That, was a memory you had suppressed… probably one of the pieces we need to find out what brought you to this point.”

 

Chiyeon said softly,

“But, I underestimated how much dark energy there was down there…”

 

“What?” I asked, frowning.

 

“Hoseok, we don’t have as much time as I originally though, either you are strong enough to rise above this, or… you’ll become the dark entity I told you about before.”

 

I felt cold, colder than I thought I could feel.

 

“How much time do we have?”

 

“I don’t know exactly, and that’s what scares me the most.”

 

I noticed how weak Chiyeon looked, and I my lips.

 

“Rest Miss Chiyeon, you... You need it.”

 

She gave a half smile.

 

“Worrying for my well being, and we’ve only known each other less than twenty four hours…”

 

“I - I just don’t want anything to happen to you.”

 

“I’m stronger than I look Hoseok… trust me on that…”

 

“I - I know that, I just -”

 

“I can take care of myself… You on the other hand, are a different case altogether”

 

I fell silent.

 

“Why… why would you… risk everything to help a stranger, what's more a dead stranger, like me?”

 

“I already told you… you were close to someone I know.”

 

“Who?”

 

“I can't tell you that Hoseok….it's something you need to figure out fast, it's one of the steps towards your passing on…”

 

I felt my shoulders slump.

How…?! How could I remember everything? I wanted to, but I could not and it infuriated me…

 

“I need to know!!”

 

The house seemed to shake slightly and I gasped before the shaking stopped.

 

What was wrong with me?

 

“You're running out of time… I can't do the remembering for you Hoseok, you need to try…”

 

“What if I can't?” I whispered.

 

Chiyeon stood and made her way towards me and I froze, when I felt her touching my cheek with a gentle hand.

 

I blinked, feeling warmth overcome me.

 

“You need to trust yourself Hoseok… only then can you get what you deserve. Peace of mind.”

 

I was silent for a moment, and looked down before I spoke again,

“Chiyeon… I… if I move on… you and your life will -”

 

“That's my problem, something I should worry about. You focus on yourself, I can tell how selfless you were in the past.” She gave the first genuine smile I'd ever seen her give, and it made me feel so much comfort I couldn't explain it.

 

She reached up a hand and I felt her touch my hair, running her fingers through it. Before I knew what I was doing I took her hand from my hair and held it to my chest.

 

And four words left that shocked even me, for she'd only been here a day.

 

“Please don't leave Chiyeon…”

 

She looked surprised at my words before she shook her head.

“I'm right here… I'm not going anywhere.”

 

“No… I mean… after… I don't want to forget you.”

 

“You won't.”

 

She held me then, and I found it strange, it had been so long since I felt comforting arms around me.

 

In that moment, I wanted to trust and believe in her, that maybe, even through all this, everything would be okay.



Almost a full week had passed, nothing extraordinary really happened, I was still faced with flashes of faces I could not recognise, but ever since that moment in the basement, I had recalled nothing else.


Chiyeon was desperately looking for answers while I was trying with everything I had to recall more than just blurred faces.


I know Chiyeon had told me to stay away,from the basement, but ever since that incident, I wanted to go back. Alone.

 

Surely I'd recall something, without Chiyeon stopping me from going down there right?

 

I knew it was risky, but I needed to know…

 

She had told me she couldn’t help me remember, I wanted to know why, but she refused to tell me, she just said ‘It’s against the rules’

 

So I didn’t question her anymore, she wouldn’t budge.

 

I hadn’t had any ‘episodes’ over the last week, but I felt strange, drawn to something I didn’t understand, and that alone scared me more than I could express.

 

I noted Chiyeon was sleeping in the living room again, having stayed up late researching things she could not show me. Knowing that she wouldn’t budge for a while, I made my way to the basement door, and slipped through it.

 

Once I set foot on the dark stairs, a heaviness settled on my chest, if I were human, I was sure I’d be clawing for air, but even with the foreboding feeling that was overcoming me, I continued down the stairs.


Something wasn’t right.

 

I knew as soon as I stepped down onto the basement floor.

 

I was choking… Suffocating, feeling something wrap around my body and the sound of seven gunshots.

 

My body was suddenly burning, much like how it had a week ago, only this time, I saw more than I wanted to see.

 

The flames, the blazing heat, the strong smell of gasoline, and blood staining the floor.

 

My blood, but something had changed.

 

I was hunched protectively over a young girl, her face was covered in soot tears streaked down her cheeks and she clung to me.

 

“Why… why? Why did you do it?! Why didn’t you let me -”

 

“Stop…” The words were choked from my lips, “Suzy, you’re… my sister, I’ll protect you... to the end, just like I promised before… when we… were kids…”

 

It seemed that as soon as the memory came, it disappeared, and a new one came through, one from years before… why was I remembering this?

 

A little girl was crying on the swing in a playground.

I had to have been no more than nine years old, making my way towards her quickly.

“Noona!”

I could feel cold air enter my lungs and quickened my steps towards her.

 

“Suzy Noona!!”

 

She looked up and wiped her eyes,

“Hobi…”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me you were sad?” I pouted.

 

“Because, I couldn’t…” The girl, Suzy, whispered as more tears fell.

 

“Did they bully you again?”

 

She nodded.

 

“Should I go beat the mean boys up!”


“No! You’ll get in trouble!”

 

“Nu uh! I’m a big boy noona! I’m a man! Daddy says so!”

 

She giggled through her tears.

 

“You’re so silly Hobi…”

 

“I’ll protect you always! I promise Suzy!”

 

I held out my pinky and she held out her own, wrapping it around mine, and sealing it with our thumbs.

 

“I swear it noona!”

 

“Okay…” She was happy again, and I felt my heart warm. “I believe you…”

 

It seemed like a barrage of memories were assaulting me, all because I had stepped into this room, I could feel my energy weaken significantly and closed my eyes.

 

I thought it was over…

 

Only, I was wrong.

 

This time, it wasn’t a memory, it was happening right now, in this very moment.

 

A dark entity was standing before me, he was blurred, I couldn’t see his face, and his strong presence, resulted in me being pinned to the ground, I felt like my head was splitting open.

 

The entity didn’t speak, instead I felt more pressure, before I watched him move past me and up the stairs of the basement.

 

I panicked, “CHIYEON!” her name left my lips before I could stop it, and the entity paused his advancement upstairs and turned back to me, to my sorry self, pinned down with some invisible force.

 

“Hoseok… Jung Hoseok, my son.” His voice was chilling to my ears, almost like nails grating off a chalkboard.

 

My son…?

 

I forced myself against the forces, trying with every bit of spiritual strength I possessed to break out of the binds.

 

He approached me, and touched my cheek, I was riddled with fear. I, a spirit, was riddled with a strange fear I could not comprehend.

 

“Isn’t it strange we would meet again, in the exact same place we all met our demise? The Jung family bond, we all went out together…”

 

I was suddenly riddled with pain once again, an intense pain, the seven sharp stabs of pain in my chest, could feel my body burning and blistering, like real flames were my skin.

 

Who was he?

 

He referred to me as his son…

 

No…


It made no sense to me…

 

Far away, detached from my body, I heard a scream, it took only a few minutes before I registered the scream was mine, and a kaleidoscope of colour assaulted my senses, playing out rapid images faster than I could read into them.


I was lacking control, I could feel it…

 

This stranger. I knew he was doing this. It had to be him, but I didn’t understand it. None of this made sense to me… Why was so much happening in such a short space of time?!

 

I felt wind around my face, shortly after, dusty equipment flying off the shelves around me and crashing to the floor.

 

Was I doing this?

 

I could hear pounding footsteps coming down the hall, and approach the door.

 

“Hoseok?!”

 

Chiyeon.

 

“HOSEOK?! ANSWER ME!”

 

I tried to respond, but I felt my words sealed, as the dark entity grabbed me by the neck.

 

Eyes wide, I begged whoever would listen, for Chiyeon to walk away, for her to get as far away from this as possible. Over the last week, she had been with me every moment, I’d grown attached to her, she was a special friend to me, I couldn’t let her know.

 

This was something I needed to take care of on my own.

 

No matter what kind of gift she may have had.

 

I could never forgive myself if she was hrt because of me…

 

Another far away scream left my mouth, as I began to see the flames again and again.

 

“HOSEOK!”

 

She was beating on the door with her fists, I could feel how desperate she was, only I could do nothing more in order to get her to leave.

 

Please… please Chiyeon…

 

The energy seemed to surge as the door was slammed open, hitting the wall with a loud clang and there she stood, dark hair flying around her face, a fierce expression in her eyes.

Something about her, seemed different, I could feel strength circulate her. She was stronger now…

 

It seemed that between the time she was pounding on the door with her fists, and the door flying open, I could move again, whatever it was that had had me in an iron grip, had gone, but I was in a strange state of mind.

 

Chiyeon’s bare feet padded down the stairs and she knelt next to me, holding me against her chest, but I could do nothing in response, I felt, empty for some reason, frozen, staring straight ahead.

 

She was warm, so warm… I didn’t want her to let go of me, I… needed her right now.

 

I buried my face in her chest.

 

“Hoseok?” She whispered, “What happened?”

 

“I… I think I lost control again…” I choked out, “And I saw -”

 

Chiyeon had her full attention on me, her hold tensed slightly.

“What did you see?”

 

“I - I -” I tried to get the words out, but they wouldn’t come.

 

“I don’t know…” I whispered weakly, “I don’t know what I saw…” Right at this moment, I didn’t want to let go of Chiyeon, maybe it was insane, considering we’d known each other such a short time, but I needed her. My undead life was more beautiful with her in it, because she was trying to help me, she was there for me, but I couldn’t tell her that, what I was feeling, it wasn’t love. Right?

 

“Hoseok… you need to tell me, or I can’t help you…” She said simply, and her eyes held that fierce look again.

 

I could visibly feel the fear as it riddled my body.

 

“I think I… I remembered part of the reason why I…” I finally said.

 

“How you… came to be here?”

 

I nodded against her chest.

 

“I think… I just saw my father. But he said - I -”

 

“Tell me slowly.”

 

“I think I was… murdered.” My voice was hoarse.

 

Chiyeon didn’t even seem disturbed by my words, which surprised me for a moment, before I remembered exactly what gift she held.

 

“I know.” She answered softly.

“Do you know how?”

 

“No… not really, but I keep seeing fire, smelling gasoline, feeling like I’ve been stabbed several times or something. “I… I also had a friend or a sister or something, her name was Suzy I think, I was trying to protect her… I think it was from him -”

 

Chiyeon was silent. Too silent. She sat stiffly now, her grip on me loosening.

 

“Chiyeon?”

 

“We don’t have much time Hoseok… I need to look into the history of this place some more. In the meantime, you need to stay away from this place! I told you before, of you keep doing this, you’ll become nothing but an evil entity, I can’t let that happen Hoseok, or you’ll be trapped forever…”

 

“Chiyeon?”

 

“You’re not like the other spirits I’ve lead on Jung Hoseok, you’re more human than they had ever been. You only have a good, pure energy within you, but it’s been tainted.”

Her voice trembled.

 

“I wanted you to remember so you could pass on peacefully, but I don’t think that’s possible anymore… if the dark energy I felt down here was really your father, you’re facing more danger than I thought… I won’t let you go through this alone… I won’t give up on you Hoseok.”

 

I didn’t know what to say, I just clung tighter.

 

“Chiyeon… I - I can’t let you do this.”

 

“It’s my Fate.”

 

“I don’t care… I can’t let you risk everything for me. I’m dead Chiyeon, as much as I wish it, I can never live again, I can try remember everything, but, I can’t let you come down here. You tell me to stay away from here, but I have to be here.”

 

“The darkness will destroy you -”

 

“Then… leave before it does Chiyeon, it also means you get to live out your life how you should, I -”

 

I was suddenly startled, when Chiyeon hugged me tight.

 

“What are you -?”

 

“Were you always this selfless Jung Hoseok?” She said in such a soft and tender tone, it surprised me.

 

“I - I don’t know.”

 

“All the more reason why I’m staying by your side. You need me to help protect you from the darkness Hoseok. You can’t lose your humane ways.”

 

I nodded.

 

I could have sworn I felt my still heart beat once, and I looked up, before pressing a kiss to her cheek.

 

It was quick, just a peck, but the action, made me feel a strong feeling I hadn’t experienced in a long time.

 

I my lips and pulled away feeling embarrassed.

 

“I - I’m sorry I shouldn’t have done that.”

 

Chiyeon shook her head, I noted the faint blush on her cheeks and the first word that came into my mind was beautiful.

 

“No, it’s okay” she responded and I blinked in surprise.

 

Soon after, a small, genuine smile graced her lips, she looked… happy?

 

I made to say more, but she stood up, pulling me up with her. Her smile had faded again and the familiar seriousness made its way back onto her face.

 

“Right now, I need to focus on protecting you Hoseok, that’s more important…”

 

I nodded. I knew that no matter how much I tried protest, Chiyeon would see her ‘duty’ to the end, and it made my heart ache.

 

Wasn’t there a way to change fate? Couldn’t I do anything to save Chiyeon?

 

The more I thought about it, the closer I’d gotten to her, I would give anything to let her live on, if I was consumed by darkness so be it.

 

If that… thing was really my father, couldn’t I get the answers without Chiyeon getting hurt? There had to be a way…

 

“Come on.” Chiyeon’s voice interrupted my thoughts, and she held out her hand to me, the action catching me off guard for a moment before I took it almost shyly.

 

With his words playing in my mind, we left together.


~Chiyeon~

 

After the incident in the basement, Chiyeon was pushing herself to find more answers, so far she had only dug up the pictures of the crime scene. For some inexplicable reason, all possible evidence had been removed or burned beyond recognition. How they could remove the evidence, when the supposed suspect had died alongside his family of victims she didn’t understand, she couldn’t find any other connections, it was done so… meticulously.

 

She gave a sigh of frustration, five further days had passed since Hoseok had regained more of his memories, and with the time ticking by faster than they could catch up, she needed to try harder.

 

She had to bring peace to Hoseok’s life. In such a short amount of time, Chiyeon had grown to care greatly for him, she still couldn’t comprehend why, and the memory of the kiss to her cheek made her heart quicken.

 

She had never experienced such a thing before. How her heart seemed to race when she was in the male’s presence, how every word and gesture, made her feel happiness for the first time in a long time.

 

As she typed on her computer, she paused, taking up her phone. She needed to speak to her father. Find out what he knew, see if it could connect to everything so far.

She wondered if maybe Jungkook’s presence could help spark more memories, a safer way, she couldn’t allow him to risk the basement again. She had seen a huge shift in his spirit energy after the confrontation in the basement.

 

She came to a decision that she would go to the basement once again, without hoseok, she’d find everything she could in order to help him, she had been up against dark entities before, though this one was significantly stronger than any other she had gone up against, she would risk it. She had no other choice now.

 

Taking her phone from the sofa cushion beside her, she typed in her father’s number, and waited for him to pick up.


Jeon Jungkook was in his office, surrounded by dusty case files. Case files belonging to one particular case that is.

 

The Jung Murder Case

 

Despite everything his daughter had said to him, his protests and pleas for her not to continue on with this, ‘Fate’ she was cursed with, he too wanted answers.

 

He knew he was going against protocol, reopening the case alone, but he needed to find the answers, if he could, then maybe he could bring her peace of mind, and maybe, as insane as it sounded to the normal person, find a way to communicate with his brother, help him move on without Chiyeon having to sacrifice everything.

 

He had never told anyone, but he too had a similar gift to Chiyeon’s, though his ability was far less in strength than his hers. He could sense spirits, feel their emotions and in some cases, see them, he could never do what Chiyeon could, but if he could just try, try everything he could to figure this out… maybe he could do the right thing for once.

 

Hoseok had been everything to him, his best friend, mentor, brother. The one he strived to work as hard as, someone who had a beautiful heart, someone who lost his life unjustly.

 

He sighed and rest his head in his hands, before he was startled by his phone ringing.

 

Seeing Chiyeon’s name he rushed to answer.

 

“Chiyeon! Are you alright?!”

Chiyeon sighed softly at her father’s frantic voice on the other end of the phone.

 

“Dad, relax, I’m alright…”

 

“Are you really alright?”

 

“I promise.”

 

Jungkook massaged his eyes,

“What’s happened? HAs anything changed? Do you feel sick or anything? Are you stressed -”

 

“Dad, I’m fine. You fuss way too much.” She gave a weak chuckle.

 

“What are you calling for?” the police officer leaned forward on his desk, his grip tightening on the phone.

 

“I need your help. I… I’ve seen and been in contact with Hoseok.”

 

Jungkook sat up straight.

“What?”

 

“He’s still lingering, like you told me. I’ve never encountered a spirit like him before.”

 

His mouth felt dry. “Is he… a dark -”

 

“No, no dad, if anything, he’s the purest one I’ve ever met. He’s slowly starting to remember. I need you to help him remember you…”

 

“Why me?”

 

“You’re the only one I could think of. He’s encountered a dark entity… his father…”

 

Jungkook grabbed one of the files and flipped it open to his father’s profile.

“He died that night too… do you think -?”

 

“Don’t act like you’re clueless you probably figured it out too, Hoseok told me, he said they died down in the basement together… It’s pathetic that the KNPA couldn’t piece together that much.”

 

“There was no evidence he left, all bodies were burnt beyond recognition, any possible evidence was removed. It’ll never be solved without actual evidence.”

 

“Hoseok can solve it, if he can remember, that’s why I need you dad. I don’t have much time, he’s already being in contact with dark energy. I can’t let him change into something of only malicious intent. I can’t dad…”

 

Jungkook frowned. How in such a short amount of time…

 

“Chiyeon you can’t get attached to something that isn’t living -”

 

“I’m not attached.” She answered quickly, “I just can’t let someone so pure, change into something like that.”

 

“Please Chiyeon, I’m begging you to stop this now. Before you -”

 

“Listen to me! I know you want the same thing I do! I know you want justice for him, and we can get that, but only if we do this together.”

 

Please dad…”

 

“I -”

 

Please - You are the only hope he has.”

 

He knew that. He did, but the way things were -

 

He sighed softly again.

 

No. She was right.

 

“I can’t guarantee I can do anything to help, but - I - I can try.”

 

He didn’t want to regret this.

 

“Thank you… thank you so much… Can you come to the house?”

 

It had been over thirty years… he honestly didn’t believe he could do this without breaking down just like he did when he was nineteen, the night he found out, that his only friend and brother was dead.

 

“No… no it can’t be true! Hyung isn’t dead! He can’t be, I just saw him yesterday!”

He was shaking, gripping his shirt, breathing harsh.

 

“I’m sorry Jungkook -”

 

“No! YOU’RE LYING! Please, please stop lying!”

 

“The place had been burnt down, he was lost to the fire -”

 

“No, you’ve made a mistake! NO!”

 

But it had been true, and the news would haunt him for the rest of his life…

 

He could feel tears form in his eyes as he recalled the moment he lost him, so silent was he that Chiyeon grew concerned.

 

“Dad?”

 

“No, it’s nothing. I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

 

“Okay.” A pause. “I love you dad.”

 

“Love you too…”

 

They bid goodbye and hung up, Jungkook stuffing the case files in his bag and grabbing his jacket all in one swift motion, making his way out to his car.

 

Could he truly help Chiyeon, could he change her written future?

 

He could only hope…


~Hoseok~

I was sitting once again in my familiar spot,, the window seat, staring out at the street below, but instead of the peaceful calm my mind was used to, I was in chaos. How much time did we have left?

 

I didn’t know how close I was to understanding and remembering the entire truth, all I knew now was that, I had been murdered. In that basement, but as for the entity claiming to be my father and to have died with me, I wasn’t sure, wasn’t it a malicious entity’s nature to manipulate the truth?

 

He could be lying, but at the same time, I think I believed him.

 

As for Chiyeon, she would be in more danger now than she had been before, and that scared me more than I could express. She mattered to me, though I wasn’t sure to what extent, nor exactly what my feelings were; I knew I needed to protect her, just as I had done to my sister, my noona, Suzy. Only this time, I wasn’t going to fail her…

 

A rough wind had started outside, and I watched the trees bend under its strength.

 

What would become of us?

 

I didn’t know exactly, but I wasn’t going to give up yet.

 

My worry lay with the entity downstairs.

Though he seemed to have faded away after our confrontation, I still held a dark feeling in my heart. He would be back, and this time he wouldn’t be so kind.

 

I shuddered at the memory of his hand around my neck. I was once again caught off guard that I could feel the same pain as a human when he touched me, when I recalled some of those deep rooted memories.

 

If it had that impact on me, someone who was dead, surely it would destroy Chiyeon.

I buried my face in my hands, before I looked up once again, I needed to talk to Chiyeon, I had to find some way to save her.

 

It was a repetitive thought, in the short amount of time, I must have thought it well over a hundred times.

 

Could I really figure everything out though?

 

At the rate my memories were returning, and the countdown to the final day looming I needed to remember, and I needed to remember fast.

 

I stood from my seat and made my way downstairs, into the living room Chiyeon frequented often.

 

As expected she was sitting with her computer on her lap, her eyes focused and blazing with that determined fire I had grown so accustomed to.

 

“Chiyeon?” I called softly, and she looked up immediately, the fierce look dying down a little, as she offered me a small smile before patting the space beside her on the sofa.

 

I took it as she asked me to, and leaned on her arm a little, my gaze glancing over the computer screen, seeing a computerised newspaper headline in black and white, dated back to 1973, the words, Jung Family Murder.

 

Wait… so it was confirmed.

 

My eyes continued to dash over the screen as I read bits of text, and suddenly, I remembered something else, and it wasn't pleasant.

 

“THEN I SHOULD JUST ING DIE HUH?! IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO?!”

 

A grey haired man slammed his hands on the table, the porcelain and cutlery rattling loudly.

 

“No, Junho please! I’m not saying that at all!”

 

“YOU’RE THINKING IT!”

 

“Stop it! You’ll hurt the kids!”

 

“I DON’T GIVE A , WITH THE DEBT WE’RE IN WE MAY AS WELL KILL OURSELVES!”

 

“JUNHO STOP IT!”

 

I watched as a woman stood quickly from the table and ran towards the man who was flailing his arms, the man in question the same one who I had encountered down in the basement. My - father?

 

“DON’T TELL ME WHAT TO DO IN MY OWN HOUSE!”

 

“JUNHO PLEASE! I’M BEGGING YOU!”

 

Across from the scene playing out, I was sitting beside the girl - my sister - Suzy who was clinging to my arm.

 

“Dad please, calm down!”

 

That was me that had spoken up. So it had confirmed it. He was my father...

 

“SHUT UP!”

 

He pulled the cloth from the table, where it fell to the floor, carrying all the dishes with it, making a loud crash echo around the room.

 

“Junho… your medicine, you haven't taken your medicine yet have you?”

 

“SHUT UP!!”

 

He swung at the woman - it had to have been my mother - catching her square in the jaw, and sending her to the floor, where she fell into the wreckage of porcelain on the floor, dazed and visibly shaking.

 

Everything else in that moment passed in a blur, he was suddenly beating the woman on the floor within an inch of her life, but what sickened me the most, was when I tried to intervene, he stabbed her with a piece of glass…

 

Blood was everywhere, before the next thing I knew, my father was on his knees howling, while Suzy was hyperventilating.

 

Was he suddenly feeling remorse?

 

I just witnessed him kill my mother in front of me and my sister…

 

Time seemed to move in fast forward, as I watched him drag her out of the room, he had to be making it to the basement.

 

I could hear him muttering to himself,

“I must clean it, I must clean everything, I must…”

 

Why wasn't I doing anything?!

 

Once again as with every memory I had experienced thus far, it faded as quickly as it had come, leaving me visibly shaking, in shock, unable to speak a word.

 

Chiyeon noticed this, and fixed me with a worried look.

 

“You’ve remembered something else…”

 

“He… he…” I managed to choke out, “He murdered my mom… I think he was… taking her to the basement.”

 

An overwhelming feeling of anger and sadness hit shortly after and I watched in shock as Chiyeon’s belongings shot around the room in all directions.

 

No, it was happening again, I could feel myself losing control, could feel my sanity slip slightly from my grasp again, just as it had done before.

 

What was wrong with me?

 

“Hoseok!” I could barely hear Chiyeon’s panicked cry of my name, as I myself was taken over by an immense fear, more objects lifted and flew around the room.

 

“HOSEOK!”

 

I suddenly felt warm, comforting hands cup my cheeks and Chiyeon’s soft voice once again, breaking through my thoughts.

 

“Come back to me, okay? Please, I know you can do it… come back please Hoseok.”

 

I did all I could to focus my gaze back on her own, it was taking a lot out of me to do so, but i still tried, my hands reaching up to cover hers that were resting so gently on my cheeks.

 

“C - Chiyeon?”

 

“It’s okay, it’s over, just focus on me, can you do that?”

 

I nodded, but the action was stiff and robotic.

 

“You’re okay. Please Hoseok, you can do this.”

 

After a short while, with Chiyeon’s comforting touch, I managed to come back to myself.

 

“W - what did I just do?”

 

“It wasn’t your fault, your memories, they caused you to lose control of your emotions. We need to give you the peace you deserve Hoseok, as I said before, I won;t let you be overtaken. You won't lose who you are. I can’t allow it.”

 

The next event that took place, moved like a dream; one moment I was looking into those hypnotising dark eyes, and the next, I could feel warm lips on mine.

 

It was strange, unexpected, but it felt nice. Before I knew what I was doing, I had moulded my lips with hers, before I pulled back, wide eyed.

 

Chiyeon looked startled and embarrassed.

 

“I - I’m sorry, I don't know what came over me…”

 

I shook my head,

“No, I - I’ve never experienced such a sweet action before, I never felt love before, or maybe I did, but I can’t remember” I whispered, running my hand through the human’s hair.

 

Chiyeon still seemed a little ashamed, her cheeks burning a cute pink.

 

“I should never have done that. We’re not -”

 

The words that left my mouth, left before I could bite them back.

“I like you Jeon Chiyeon, I truly like you, I know I do, I don't understand why it’s happened when we only met, but, i can’t - I can’t stay back and do nothing anymore.”

 

I could tell my words for overpowering by the odd look she had in her eyes, and I instantly wanted to take back what I’d said.

 

This couldn’t work.

 

She was living.

 

I was dead.

 

Two different worlds were never meant to mix…

 

And yet… here she was, through her own choice, she’d come here. To save me. How else could I help but feel my still heart warm when she was near?

Chiyeon looked away before she turned back to me.

 

“I don’t know how I feel right now, I know that there’s more to this than just me leading you on, I want to protect you in some way… I kissed you… Maybe I - feel more for you than I thought.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Whether I do or not, it can’t be Hoseok. As much as I wish it…”

 

“I know… I’m sorry.”

 

“No, I am… I’ll do everything I can to help you. You’re important to me.” She her lips, “And to my father as well.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I can’t tell you anymore than this, I wish I could. I wish I could tell you everything, but i can’t risk destroying the pure soul you have left.”

 

“What?”

 

“You know what I am Hoseok, I can’t ruin anything, this is your last chance.”

 

The words she had spoken when we first met, when I found out she would leave the world before twenty one, filled my head, more than anything, I wished I could do more than this.

 

But I couldn’t.

 

“Chiyeon, I’m begging you once more, please don't give up your life to save someone like me who’s already dead, isn’t there anything you can do?”

 

Chiyeon’s shoulder’s slumped, and she took my hands in her warm ones.

 

“I can choose to give up my gift, for the sake of saving myself, but it means I’d never get to see or communicate with your spirit or any other spirit for that matter, it also means, losing all memories of those I’ve saved…”

 

My heart felt heavy. Everything she was, she would have to lose just so she could live like any other normal human… it wasn’t fair.

 

“That’s like taking yourself away…”

 

She nodded, “So, now you understand me?”

“You suffer no matter which path you choose.”

 

“Hoseok, this path I’m on right now, gives me more joy, as strange as it sounds, because I can save those who deserve to be saved. Because…” she stopped, “Because I’ve met you.”

 

I felt my eyes burn.

 

“But wouldn’t you rather forget everything, rather than stay by my side only to lose out on your own future?”

 

“I won’t change my destiny Hoseok…”

 

I knew she wouldn’t budge no matter what I said.

 

Because you met me? But I’ve only caused suffering… how can I bring you joy?

 

A knocking on the door pulled me from my thoughts, and Chiyeon pulled away from me,

“He’s here.”

 

“He?”

 

“That important person I told you about.” She offered me a smile, before she made her way out to the hallway, I followed behind her silently and stood by as she opened the door.

 

A police officer stood on the doorstep and I frowned, he seemed strangely familiar… He reached for Chiyeon and hugged her tightly.

 

“Dad.” She whispered softly.

 

Dad?

 

I moved closer to see her father, when I realised something.

He did look familiar, he looked familiar, because I had seen him by my side in that memory before, we had been dancing together.

 

Jeon Jungkook…

 


 

As Jungkook stepped into the hall and hugged his daughter, I watched him frown and look all around the hallway, before his gaze seemed to meet mine before drifting away.

 

“Hoseok…?” He spoke softly and I stiffened.

 

He clearly knew I was here. His body language said everything, but somehow, as he moved around the hallway, a feeling of nostalgia washed over me.

 

“It hasn’t changed at all…” The police officer spoke softly, he seemed to tear up as he moved to touch the walls.

 

“He would probably have stayed living here, if he was still alive, would probably have his own family by now.” His words seemed to catch, and before I knew it, I was moving closer to him, my hand reaching out to touch his shoulder, but I just passed through him.

 

Jungkook seemed to shiver, so I assumed, he knew I was there.

 

“H - hyung…”

 

Hyung…

 

Chiyeon moved to comfort her father, before she looked up at me, and I spoke.

 

“Tell him, I’m sorry…”

 

I wasn't sure what it was I was sorry for, but something deep inside, told me that I had to say it.

 

He had been so important to me in the past, and I had been important to him, I could sense it in his feelings and actions.

 

Chiyeon turned to him and repeated the words I had just said, and I caught a glimpse of a silver tear, trailing down his cheek.

 

I had hurt him it seemed, to a point where he had become a broken man, and I wished I could tell him everything would change, I would soon remember our special times together, but I couldn’t.

 

“Come inside dad, I’ll make some tea, Hoseok is following right behind us.”

 

“Yeah, I’m right here…” I whispered weakly.

 

“He’s right here.” Chiyeon repeated.

 

Jungkook seemed to smile a little at that and spoke.

“At least I know, you’re still the same, hyung…”

 

I smiled at that. At least I could still bring a little hope, a sliver, barely able to be seen, but it was something.


Once Chiyeon had made and brought back the tea, I stood nearby as I watched Jungkook take something from his bag, it seemed like a whole bunch of case files.

 

On closer inspection, I saw they were mine.

 

Or more specifically, my family’s.

 

“Dad -”

 

Chiyeon looked surprised, as she acknowledged the papers.

 

“All this time you were -?”

 

Jungkook nodded, “I didn’t tell you, I wanted to try and handle it on my own, I didn’t want to give up yet, thirty years we’ve been trying to find answers, for his sake, I’ll do everything I can to find them.”

 

For his sake?

 

For my sake?

 

“I always promised I’d stand by him no matter what, I swore I would…”

 

At that moment, I could recall it, another memory, more pleasant than the others.

“Hyung, when we go on to take over the world with our dancing, I’m always gonna be on your side, we’ll grow together and I’ll always have your back. I promise!”

 

He sounded so determined, so sure, his expression matched his words.

 

“You’ve only ever had my back hyung, you’ve always been there, I’ll always be there for you, I’ll work hard and I’ll make you proud.”

 

I chuckled and ruffled his hair, before hugging him tightly.

 

“I know you will Kookie, and I’ll always be by your side too.”

 

My eyes were burning again. Every word he’d said had been true, he’d stayed by my side, all this time, over thirty years…

 

“Kookie…” I spoke up, and I willed that my voice would reach him, put all my energy into it.

 

Jungkook looked up, Chiyeon too.

“Kookie? Hyung? Did you just talk to me?” I could see his overjoyed expression, see the tears welling and falling down his cheeks.

 

“Thank you Kookie..”

 

He could hear my voice, but he could not see me.

 

“Hyung… I never stopped trying to figure this out, just like Chiyeon has been working all this time for. You sound the exact same as when we were younger.”

 

He sniffed and I chuckled.

 

“You grew a lot”

 

The sweet moment was cut short though, when I suddenly felt that dark weight of energy pressing down on my chest.

 

He was here…

 

He couldn’t be, wasn’t his soul bound to the basement?

 

I looked around panicked, but no one was there, nothing but a dark mass of energy that dissipated in seconds.

 

“We’re not alone in here.” I whispered.

 

Jungkook frowned, “What?”

 

I watched as Chiyeon stiffened, she knew exactly what i was talking about.

 

The energy had changed back to below us, the basement area. He was back, and he had malicious intent even greater than before.

 

“Dad, the files, what did they say?” Chiyeon's voice was frantic now.

 

Jungkook flicked through the pages rapidly.

“There was a fire in the basement, apparently the neighbors heard shotgun shells, seven of them, before the basement was completely destroyed, they managed to rebuild the ground floor keeping it mainly as it was, but they never found any other evidence.

 

As he rattled off the words, I was remembering again, and it made me physically ill.

 

After he had beaten our mother, dragged her to the basement and cleaned up, we had tried in all that time to call the police, but all the phone lines were destroyed.

 

“All clean, all clean” he just kept muttering those words over and over again, pouring water and methylated spirits down the halls and kitchen leaving no evidence of the bloody mess he’d made not too long before.

 

The next few hours were a blur, we had tried to leave the house to no avail, and had been dragged down to the basement alongside the remains of our mother. He had bolted and chained the basement door so we couldn’t get out.

 

I sat huddled with my terrified sister, trying to comfort her as best I could, but to no avail, I just seemed to make the entire situation much worse.

 

He grabbed a small pistol from his coat, and still muttering strange phrases and strings of words I couldn’t understand, he loaded the pistol, aimed and shot my sister right in the neck once, before he shot me once, then twice, in different areas.

 

I crawled over to Suzy, who was bleeding heavily, but still alive and covered her with my body, as the life drained from her.

 

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” I cried, even through the agony from the first two shots. “STOP THIS DAD, PLEASE!”

 

“SHUT UP!! THE DEAD SHOULDN’T TALK!!”

 

Another two shots, I could feel the breath leave my lungs momentarily, as Suzy yelled.

 

“STOP IT!! STOP IT!!”

 

He let off another round of two shots, one hit my leg, the other my shoulder, and I knew I had no more life left, i was dying, but as long as she was protected.

 

Suzy continued screaming my name, before another shot went off, hitting her right between the eyes, and she left me…

 

As I lay there dying, I still stayed protecting her, as my father went around the entire room, picking up the bullets that had shot through us.

 

He brought them over to his workbench and I watched as he grinded each one to dust, how was it even possible?

 

He sat his gun down before he made his way over to the gasoline tanks, and as before, I watched his routine of pouring the gasoline everywhere he could, before he stopped, dropping the can, and taking the gun once more, he pointed at me… and that's the last I could recall of my human life, as my vision faded, the sound of a match being struck, and the whoosh of flames and blazing heat assaulted me, and I left the world for good.

 

I could feel my body overheat, could feel all my memories suddenly getting caught up with one another, creating a mess in my head, and I gripped my hair and screamed, the house seemed to shake, more objects flew around the room, and I lost all will to make it stop, I felt anger, such intense anger I was convulsing, I watched Chiyeon and Jungkook’s shocked expressions, watched as Chiyeon tried to bring me back, but i couldn’t. I didn’t want to…

 

I felt so much hate… so much sadness…

 

“HOSEOK!”

 


~Chiyeon~

Witnessing Hoseok’s full break down, his lack of control, she panicked, trying everything she could to bring him back to himself.

 

Jungkook on the other hand was frozen in fear as objects flew left and right and he felt intense anger and sadness fill his chest.

 

He wasn’t stupid, he knew enough about spiritual energy and of course, as a result of his gift, knew that this was Hoseok’s breaking point.

 

“Chiyeon!” He cried, protecting his daughter as she tried to reach for the remains of Hoseok’s soul.

 

She protested, trying to break away from his hold calling Hoseok's name over and over in an attempt to bring him back, but she couldn't reach him, she had to try harder, she would not let Hoseok break like this, she had sworn she would keep him from being overtaken by dark intent.

 

“HOSEOK COME BACK! YOU DID BEFORE, I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT AGAIN! YOU PROMISED ME! YOU PROMISED ME DAMN IT!” She screamed, “WE DIDN’T COME THIS FAR IN SUCH A SHORT TIME, ONLY FOR YOU TO GIVE UP NOW! I CAN’T LET YOU!! DO YOU HEAR ME?! I CAN’T LET YOU JUNG HOSEOK!!”

 

“Chiyeon! Stop it! You’ll put yourself in danger!” Jungkook cried, watching in horror as his daughter continued to reach out to this violent entity he couldn’t see - no - to Hoseok, his hyung…

 

“HYUNG! YOU WON’T BE TAKEN SO EASILY!”

 

Something seemed to click within the recesses of Hoseok’s heart, he could feel their desperation, could feel how much they were trying to reach out to him.

 

But he was trapped in his own head, he couldn’t escape as much as he tried to, he had no strength.

 

He was breaking his promise.

 

Chiyeon stood and moved closer to him, pushing her father back as he tried to protect her once again, and she reached for him, grabbing onto his shirt, feeling her body becoming battered by his great energy, but still she wouldn’t let go, even as the spirit tried to find the will to take her out of harms way, out of his own path of destruction.

 

She wouldn’t let go…

 

She reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly, causing him to be caught off guard momentarily when he saw her face, stained with tears and grazes some deep some not.

 

The energy seemed to weaken considerably, and still she held on, if anything, her grip was tighter.

 

“I know you can fight it, just like you did before…” She whispered, “Remember what you promised me? I can’t let you break it…”

 

As it did before, as Jungkook continued to watch in shock, the time seemed to slow down, before Hoseok found himself on his knees, Chiyeon standing over him, holding his head to her chest.

 

She had managed with difficulty, to bring him back…


~Hoseok~

 

As I slowly regained my senses, once I could see clearly, i felt myself in that safe embrace I loved most of all. Chiyeon’s arms, My head was resting on her chest, I could hear her heartbeat.

 

I had lost control again…

 

But nothing prepared me for the scene I saw when I finally found my focus. A path of destruction, and Chiyeon’s face, injured… because of me?

 

“Chiyeon - Oh my god, Chiyeon, I’m sorry, i'm so sorry, what did I do?!” I held a hand to her cheek, and I could feel myself shaking.

 

“I - I hurt you -”

 

“I’m okay, this wasn’t your fault Hoseok, none of this was, but… you remembered… this is what you needed, to know how you came to be here.”

 

“No, that’s nothing compared to what I’ve done to you and Jungkook, I choked out.

 

“We’re fine… we’re okay.”

 

I looked deep into her eyes and felt her peck my lips, before she helped me stand.

 

I could see Jungkook looked visibly shaking.

 

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean -”

 

He said nothing, I wondered for a moment if he had even heard me, but he finally spoke.

“You nearly killed her…”

 

I wanted to get on my knees and apologise, but he wouldn’t see it, I felt like I’d destroyed everything we’d built up to this. Yes I remembered, but almost at the cost of Jeon Chiyeon’s life…

 

And I truly hated myself.

 

“This isn’t what’s important, you were not fueled by your own memories alone, you were overtaken by the dark energy I warned you about before,.. And we need to change that fate… until the one that hurt you most is sent where he belongs, you can’t pass on peacefully.”

 

What the heck was she saying? I’d almost killed her and she still wanted to save me.

 

Jungkook too seemed to change expression. “We’re here for a reason, and that’s to help you, I won’t let you suffer here anymore.”

 

He looked over at Chiyeon.

“What do we do?”

 

I was in shock, after everything… Why were they doing this?

 

I deserved to suffer.

 

“Hoseok stop it… this wasn't your fault!” Chiyeon repeated holding me by the shoulders.

 

“My destiny is this, I’m not going back on it, you deserve peace Hoseok, no matter what, you deserve it.”

 

I rest my head on her shoulder and nodded.

 

“Alright, but i can’t let you face that entity, you’re not a superhero Chiyeon, if he almost made me lose my sense of self, I won’t let you be hurt by it, not for my sake” I stated.

 

And I meant every word, they could not be involved after this point. I would deal with it on my own…

 

“This is the last thing i can do for you Chiyeon. I said I’d protect you -”

 

“And we said we’d protect you…” Jungkook interjected, “I agree, Chiyeon should stay here, but you can’t go there alone.

 

“You’ll be killed, I can’t let that happen…”

 

I moved to Chiyeon and kissed her cheek, holding her hands.

 

“Stay here”

 

Chiyeon shook her head, and took something from her pocket, a simple pendant, in it a purple stone, the design around, symbols I didn’t recognise, she placed it over my head and let it settle against my chest.

 

“This is the last thing I can give you” She said softly, and I studied her.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“It’ll protect you…” her voice suddenly seened so mournful, it unnerved me.

 

“Chiyeon…”

 

Any other words that were about to leave my lips, were silenced by Chiyeon’s warm lips on my own again, only this time, they lingered, they lingered longer than I could have thought, before she pulled back.

 

“It’s my fate… and this is yours…”

 

I wanted to say more, but I couldn’t find the words instead I whispered,

“I’ll come back”

 

“You better hyung… so we can see you off properly, you better make sure you do…”

 

I smiled at Jungkook, even though he couldn’t see me, before turning away from the two.


The energy was thicker, more suffocating than it was before, it was almost impossible for me to make it down with a clear head, but I needed to try.

 

I passed through the door and down to the basement, where I had met with death, me and my family, all at the hands of this bastard.

 

He smirked as I stood before him, his aura dark, almost poisonous.

 

“Would you look at that, my Hoseokie came back to me, we were the last to see each other in life and how typical is it that we’re the last to meet in death too…”

 

I could feel my control waning heavily, it was taking everything I had to hold it together, but I needed to for Chiyeon’s sake, I absentmindedly touched the pendant she had given me, before I moved closer.

 

“Everything, was on you… you murdered your entire family, and because you were a coward… you killed yourself too.” I whispered.

 

“You took everything from us, our happiness, our home, and for what?”

 

He moved closer to me, and I suddenly felt a great hand, pin me up against the wall.

 

“Everything was for us. You finally remember… what other choice did we have? We had nothing, death was a much sweeter sacrifice than the other. You were never much of anything Jung Hoseok, you had childish dreams, childish fantasies, I did you a favor.”

 

I could feel the intense pressure, almost like I was being crushed in half, and no matter how I struggled, the vice only seemed to grow tighter, it felt like my very essence was being snuffed out and I could do nothing to stop it.

 

“I find it ironic how we came to this point, I would have expected your mother and sister to continue wandering aswell but no, they faded away, a distant memory, but you… remained…”

 

My vision was darkening to a point I could barely make any sense of what was before me, only shapes, linked together and overflowing.

 

“Fade to nothing, that's the only fate you deserve.”

 

I strained, knowing I couldn’t give up like this, I promised.

 

A strange warmth emanated from the pendant around my neck and I found it ridiculous. Magic did not exist right?

 

But then I understood, it wasn't some potion or powder, it was a soul, a strong soul.. I only realised too late what it meant, realised that after all this time, this is what Chiyeon meant about her fate, her soul had been trapped within the pendant itself, probably some charm by the shamen she had spoken about.

 

She was giving up everything for someone who was dead. For me…

 

I felt a strange urge to destroy, but not the one I had experienced when I’d lost control, I wanted to destroy him, this creature before me, that had the gall to call himself my father in the past, the one who ended my life and the lives of those who meant everything to me, and I could feel it, the strength.

 

It took a further many tries, but I could break out of the bind, more than likely because of Chiyeon’s strong soul.

 

He looked taken aback eyes wide and black, and I watched his hand burn.

 

I couldn’t do this… the more I used this shield Chiyeon had given me, the closer to fading away she would be.

 

No.. I couldn’t do this…

 

He smirked.

“You’re hesitating”

 

“Shut up!” I cried. I couldn’t let Chiyeon’s fate play out like this, there had to be something I could do…

 

The only option I could think of was, letting him take me…

 

I know I had promised her, had promised Jungkook, but I knew he would think as I was right now. To save her, I could give up my freedom, I could do it for her sake, because, as much as I didn’t understand it, I loved her.

 

It was wrong, unheard of, but I did. I truly did.

 

I’d give anything for Chiyeon to live the life she was supposed to.

 

I could feel the overwhelming pressure once more, but this time, I didn’t try to go against it, I let it take me.

 

“After all this time, you’ve finally learned to choose the right option my son.”

 

That irked me, more than words could express.

 

“I. Am. Not. Your. Son.”

 

I could no longer speak as the pressure increased, could no longer move my body. I was trapped.

 

I closed my eyes.

 

I would only choose her over anything else.

 

She was more important.

 

Chiyeon…

 

Jeon Chiyeon…

 

I’m sorry, I couldn’t keep my promise to you, I know, I swore, but for you… to repay you for everything… this is what I can give…

 

I was fading, the last of my spiritual essence was trickling out of me, I couldn’t even hear his words anymore…

 

So this is how it ends?

 

Goodbye, I’m sorry I couldn’t share with you, everything I wanted to…

 

Forget me and live…

 

Please…


~Chiyeon~

 

From where Chiyeon was waiting anxiously, she could sense something, and it was terrifying, Hoseok’s spiritual sense was weakening.

 

What was he doing?!

 

She should have known he would risk everything for her sake…

 

“He’s… giving up…” Jungkook said the words before she did.

 

“No… he can’t, he made a promise… I won't let him go after everything he’s done. He finally remembered. Dad…”

 

“Chiyeon, whatever you’re thinking please don’t”

 

“What else can I do?! I won’t let him give up after all that he’s been through, He wanted to be saved. Why is he giving up his last hope! I’ve accepted my fate, why is he trying to change it!”

 

Closing her eyes, Chiyeon willed all the energy she could possess to reach him, she couldn’t let him give up on his freedom, whether it was because he cared deeply for her or not, to her this was reckless.

Her body ached, and she could taste blood in , but still she pushed herself.

 

“Chiyeon stop!!” Her father yelled, but she ignored him, even when he gripped her shoulders and shook her, she continued her focus.

 

This is my fate. It’s been written for me since the day I was born… We don’t change fate, we embrace it…

 

She could feel it grow stronger, she knew she could save him, she knew she could.

 

As her father continued to beg and plead with her to stop, it only fuelled her passion to keep going.

 

For you Hoseok, I’m accepting fate…


~Hoseok~

 

A strange energy suddenly seemed to flow through me, as I was about to succumb to the darkness,. I felt the heat again and saw the pendant was glowing again.

 

How could she do this?!

 

No… No she can’t!

 

I tried with everything I could to dull Chiyeon’s spirit, but her soul had become stronger.

 

I thought it was a dream. Nothing like this happened in real life, it couldn’t.

 

But even as I tried to challenge it, I could not, it terrified me.

 

I tried to reach up and take the pendant off, but my hands were frozen at my sides.

 

Chiyeon couldn’t die, I couldn’t let her die!

 

Nothing I was doing was working…

 

No… please…

 

I could hear strange guttural cries coming from the entity in front of me and before long I was knocked to the floor, finally able to freely move around, but I couldn’t take off the pendant, some invisible force was pushing me away and I couldn’t do anything against it.

 

This had to be a nightmare, I needed it to be a nightmare.

 

I couldn’t accept her fate…

But it was no good, the entity became nothing but ash, and he had faded, just like that.

 

In some deeper part of my heart, I wanted to believe that there would still be some of her soul left, however, the pendant was dull, the light had gone.

 

Panicked I hurried to the living room where I had left Chiyeon and Jungkook, and I felt like my world had gone into freefall.

 

She was in her father’s arms, so still, her skin held a grey tinge, the life in it had gone out, and her father, Jeon Jungkook, was making inhumane sounds.

 

I wanted this to be a dream, I wanted to wake up. I gave my cheeks a sharp slap, but nothing had changed. I was in denial. I was a spirit. Spirits don’t dream…

 

“No… no…” I choked out and stumbled towards her, making to take her into my arms, but I just passed straight through her.

 

“NO!”

 

She can’t be gone - why?

 

“Chiyeon, Chiyeon please, this isn’t real right? This is… this is another hallucination, you can’t be - You’re not… CHIYEON YOU’RE NOT!! SAY SOMETHING!”

 

However as I said the words my own body was coated with a warmth, I glanced down at my hands only to see them become transparent, I was fading… I was leaving just as Chiyeon wanted, I was being freed.

 

I didn’t want to be…

 

A large expanse of white obscured my vision, even Chiyeon and Jungkook faded away and even as I begged and pleaded to whatever was taking me away, I continued to drift…

 

And that was the last image I saw… A broken Jungkook, and a lifeless Chiyeon...


My eyes hurt.

 

I thought this is supposed to be a paradise or something?

 

Wait, why can I still see and hear?

 

I can sense things too…

 

And maybe…

I gasp, I can feel a heart beating, I can see an area surrounded by trees and benches…

 

My chest is constricting painfully and I have to open my mouth to take a breath…

 

Wait… I’m breathing…

 

How am I breathing?

 

This doesn’t make any sense to me…

 

What’s happening?

 

I find my legs moving forward, as I feel everything as though I were alive…

 

My stomach growls, and startled I put a hand to it.

 

I’m feeling hunger.

 

Well I mean, if this is Paradise, it sure looks like it has everything I was used to when I was a human.

 

I see a hotdog truck nearby, and as I approach and order what I want from the menu, a flyer catches my eye.

 

Chuseok 2117

 

Wait, 2117?

 

I had just left 2017

 

It couldn’t be…

 

As I finally met the server with my hotdog, I gasp.

 

The familiar dark eyes of Jeon Chiyeon are staring back at me, and it takes me a moment to process everything.

 

Could it be… that we’ve been…

 

“Hey, your hot dog”

 

“O - oh I’m sorry.”

 

I reach into my pocket for the cash that’s probably not there at all and make to make an apology.

 

“Tch, it’s on the house, it’s Chuseok 2117 after all, this is the future.” She laughed, the familiar laugh that sounded like bells and I knew I had found her.

 

“My name is Jung Hoseok…” I introduce myself.

 

“Chiyeon.. Yoo Chiyeon…”




 

THE END


Messages:

I'm so, so sorry it took forever, I'm not very happy with it, I think it could have been better, and I'm a little out of practice, but I truly hope you like it anyway
<3 Yeon