An Angel Fantasy

Not-so-secret SPOOK

Pairing : Maerin x Taemin (Shinee)
Genre : Fluffish Angstish Crackish Fantasy
Words : 2,888
Written By : sarasquirrell

 


 

Once upon a time, in the Luminous Galaxy, there were two very small neighboring planets--the planet of Chogiwa and the planet of Tenalp. Chogiwa and Tenalp were twin planets, identical in almost every way except for the citizens that lived on them. On the planet of Chogiwa, the kingdom of Lower ruled the northern region while the kingdom of Winkerz ruled the southern region. However, our story will mainly focus on the planet of Tenalp, which was ruled by the kingdoms of Cheez and Modgnik. Now, Chogiwa and Tenalp were incredibly close to each other, yet never disrupted each other's orbital rings, allowing the two planets to build a bridge-like contraption to interact with each other's species. There had been peace between the two planets for as long as anyone could remember, a war had never been declared anywhere on either Chogiwa or Tenalp and the people were at peace with one another. There was much intermarrying between the two planets, one of the most well-known intermarried couple being the leaders of the kingdom of Cheez -- King WooHyun and Queen HyunMi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Maerin….Maerin...MAERIN!!!”

The cherub shot up out of his bed as he woke up from the nightmare that he had been repeatedly dreaming for the past month. Except for some reason, it seemed different this time. Groaning, he slapped his arm as a mosquito preyed on the sweaty skin of the sleep-dulled boy. A bright red light by his bedside began to flash simultaneously with an obnoxious sounding alarm, causing him to crinkle his nose in annoyance. He was pretty sure he hadn’t set up his alarm the night before. Maerin had specifically told him that Hana had a day off from daycare, so they would all be able to sleep in for once. Suddenly, the door burst open, allowing a bright stream of light to invade the comforting darkness of nighttime in his room. Men and women dressed in uniform tumbled into the room, surrounding his bed with a swarm of sky blue and white. He slapped his right arm again, thinking that the mosquito had returned, only to find himself connected to an IV drip. Yanking the IV out of his arm, he jumped out of his bed and made a run for the door, flapping his wings in a hurry to escape from the psychos that came after him.

“Taemin-ssi? Taemin-ssi! Please, calm down! We need you to be calm in order for us to help you.”

He felt another pinch on his right arm as he neared the door, dodging the arms and legs that tried to block him from leaving the padded cell. He let out a roar of frustration as his limbs became heavier and heavier to move, the world around him becoming groggy and distant.

“Right now is not a good time. Just go back to sleep and be a good boy.” a feminine voice spoke in a semi-sympathetic tone.

Taemin struggled against the iron grip that carried him back to his bed as the world around him became fuzzy and disorienting. The last thing he saw was a girl’s smiling face -- one that he’d never forget.

10 Hours Earlier

“Taemin-ah? Yeobo?”

Taemin whined as he felt prodding on his right side. “Nnggg~”

The female voice laughed as the warmth of the blanket left from his body.

“Appa~~~” a voice giggled from his right side.

Taemin’s eyes fluttered open to find himself face-to-face with a floating chubby-faced toddler that had his blanket clenched tightly in her tiny fist..

“Uri aegi~~~ Come up here with umma and appa.” the melodious voice next to him brought a smile to Taemin’s face.

“Mmmm...appa’s hungry….should I eat Hana for breakfast today?” Taemin growled playfully, picking up the baby angel and attacking with her tickles and kisses.

The shrieks of laughter that erupted from the child brought smiles to Maerin’s face as the cheery noises of the father-daughter duo’s play decorated the morning air.

“Mommaeee~” the tiny child squealed pleadingly, begging her mother for help.

Maerin swooped Hana into a protective hug, immediately transforming the playful atmosphere into a family group hug with Hana in the center. She kissed her daughter’s forehead as the child squirmed around, trying to wiggle free from her parents’ grasp, her tiny wings flapping rapidly.

“Wait...what time is it?” Taemin asked as he nuzzled Maerin’s neck with his arms encircling his precious wife and daughter.

“7 o’clock. You’re late for work.” Maerin grinned, lifting her daughter off the bed and flying out of their room as her words registered in Taemin’s mind.

Ten seconds later, a string of colourful profanities that escaped from Taemin’s mouth was heard throughout the house, with Maerin and Hana in the safety of the kitchen, making breakfast for the tardy father. The next ten minutes passed by in a flash for Taemin. He washed up and dressed for work in record time and was downstairs in time for his breakfast date with Maerin and Hana by eight minutes, a new personal record for Taemin. After reciting their family prayer to bless the meal and day, he quickly ate his food, tousled Hana’s hair, gave Maerin a kiss, and flew out the door to catch the tram to Seoul.

Maerin sighed as she watched her husband fly through his normal morning routine. How much longer would it take until he could take a break from that job of his?

“Come on princess. Let’s get ready and visit your Melmoni today!” Maerin chirped, brushing crumbs off of Hana’s face as the baby cherub giggled and clapped her hands.

After a quick bubble bath for Hana and a freshening up session for Maerin, the mother-daughter duo made their way to the local tram, the Cheese Tram, to visit Maerin’s mother--the queen of Cheese, Jang HyunMi. Seeing Hana flutter off towards the tram out of the corner of her eye, Maerin chased after her daughter, only to find her in the safe arms of the man she loved most, Lee Taemin.

“Mommaeeee~ I found daddy~”

Maerin smiled as Hana’s iridescent wings fluttered excitedly. She quickly flew over to her family as the tram doors shut behind her.

“I thought you were going to work.” Maerin said, unsuccessfully trying to hide her smile.

“I was, but then I remembered...today’s Saturday.”

Maerin felt her knees turning into jelly as he flashed her an award-winning smile. Even after five years of marriage, he never failed to make her heart flutter.

“Mommae, does that mean Daddy’s going to come with us to Melmoni’s?” Hana asked, tugging at her mother’s skirt.

Picking up the squirmy toddler, Maerin tousled her hair. “Yup! And who else is going to be at Melmoni’s?” she asked, booping the baby’s nose.

“Auntie Seul Yi and Auntie Ye Rin and Derptle~” the tiny cherub shouted with glee, throwing her chubby little arms into the air as her wings flapped in excitement.

Taemin pulled his wife closer to him as they grinned down at their daughter. It had been a while since their little family had had an outing together, and he definitely wasn’t going to miss this chance.
“After we visit Melmoni, do you want to go to the amusement park?” he asked the little one while staring deep into Maerin’s eyes, his question clearly being meant for the latter.

Maerin felt a blush creep across her face as the tiny cherub in her arms began to wriggle around in excitement. The amusement park brought back SO many memories from the time that Taemin had courted her. Their relationship had started quite simply. The princess of Cheese had fallen head over heals in love with a simple commoner by the name of WooZi, whose trade was a musician. Blinded by love, she followed him out of the castle in disguise and was caught, of course, by none other than her trusty knight, Taemin. That was when she realized what love TRULY was.

Thinking back to when they were courting, Maerin’s face flushed again as the tram brought the Lee family to the entrance of the Kingdom of Cheese.

“Auntie Seul Yi~~~~” the cherub baby flew out of Maerin’s arms into the waiting arms of her grandmother’s best friend.

“Ahhh!!! Aegiiiiii~~~”

Maerin smiled as Taemin discreetly took her hand and entwined their fingers together. They watched with smiles of amusement as their daughter greeted the elder angels, first fluttering over to her “Auntie Seul Yi” and then bear-hugging her “Auntie Ye Rin”. Maerin’s face lit up as her parents appeared, dressed from head to toe in a pristine white with gold accents, the queen’s arm linked with the king’s in a regal, yet romantic-looking way.

“Your majesties.” Taemin bowed as Maerin curtsied while trying to hide a smile.

The king and queen smiled as their granddaughter flew over to them in excitement. The families gave off a goldish glow as they were reunited and made their way back to the castle.

“So what brings you here today?” Queen HyunMi asked as she ushered her daughter and son-in-law into the throne room.

“We wanted to drop by and say hi.” Maerin grinned in response. “Hana, why don’t you go with Auntie SeulYi and Auntie YeRin to the courtyard to play?” she asked, shooing the baby away with the two older angels who looked at her in adoration.

The trio left, leaving the adults in the throne room together. As soon as they disappeared from sight, Queen Hyun Mi’s expression changed into a dark one.

“Did you hide the golden potato?” she whispered, the four adults leaning towards eachother, almost looking like some sort of holy cult.

Taemin looked at Maerin in confusion. Wasn’t the golden potato supposed to protect the palace at all times?

“Of course I did. There is no place safer than my stomach~” Maerin grinned patting her tummy, lightening the tense atmosphere.

“The golden potato must never get into the wrong hands.” King WooHyun said, slightly frowning at the idea of their daughter eating the sacred vegetable and storing it inside of her stomach temporarily.

“Don’t worry Appa, it won’t.” Maerin said seriously, taking Taemin’s hand into her own. “We’ll protect the royal golden potato together.”

The serious atmosphere shattered as Hana came chortling in to the room, Seul Yi and Ye Rin chasing after her with panicked expressions.

“Hana, come back!!! Your parents are in an important meeting!!!” Seul Yi hissed, making a grab for the energetic angel baby.

The four adults sat and watched the scene unfold in amusement as Hana bounced around the walls, constantly keeping just out of reach from either Seul Yi or Ye Rin.

“SEOL HANAAAA” Seul Yi whined, giving up on trying to capture the giggling child.

She collapsed in a huffing heap as Ye Rin made a half-hearted grab at the fluttering angel. Maerin laughed as she watched her daughter taunt the older angels, constantly flying in and out of their grasp. Clearing , she decided to step in.

“Hana-yah, come to Mommae~” she called, opening her arms wide for the baby.

She flew directly into her mother’s arms, snuggling in to her warmth and smiling in bliss.

“Thanks for watching her Seul Yi and Ye Rin.” Maerin laughed, helping the two angels up from the ground. “I think we should go now...Hana’s a bit of a handful.”

“What? Not at all!!!” Ye Rin said, plastering a very fake smile on her face as she tried to hide her heavy breathing.

Maerin laughed. “You two should take a day off---go to the spa together or something. Just RELAX~” she said giving them both quick hugs.

“We’ll be on our way~ See you next week!” Maerin said waving as Hana waved at the elder angels excitedly.

“We’ll set up an official meeting about the golden potato at a later time.” The queen said, taking Taemin’s hand as she watched her daughter walk outside with their squirmy granddaughter.

“Yes, your majesty.” Taemin said bowing.

“WAHHHH TAEMINNIE APPAAA~~~”

Queen Hyun Mi laughed as the child’s voice filled the room. “Go on, your daughter’s calling.”

Taemin ran outside to find Hana holding the turtle of her dreams--Derptle.

“Look who Mommae and me found!!” the child giggled happily, triumphantly holding the reptile.

She hugged it tightly and waddled over to her father, placing the animal into his hands. He laughed in amusement as the turtle ducked into its shell, reappearing with a derpy expression in a matter of seconds.

The family of three, plus Derptle, made their way out of the palace and towards the amusement park. Today would be a family day--one that wouldn’t be ruined. Taemin placed the turtle back into Hana’s hands and watched as the child flew ahead in glee. He intertwined his fingers with Maerin’s and gave her a loving smile as they watched their baby run around in happiness.

Suddenly, the image of Maerin smiling began to falter, flickering black and white. Taemin looked down at their hands to find himself holding….nothing.

“Maerin? Maerin! MAERIN!!!”

His smile disappeared as he realized that Maerin would want him to make sure their daughter was safe before going out to search for her. Panicking, he whipped around to look for their daughter.

“Hana? Hana! HANA! Where are you?”

Taemin frantically ran around looking for his family that had been in his arms just a second ago. This couldn’t be. What was happening? Where were his precious wife and daughter? In a frantic frenzy, Taemin sprinted towards the castle to inquire the whereabouts of his wife and daughter. Bursting into the palace, he found himself facing a tall and handsome guard. The guard frowned upon seeing him.

“You’re not supposed to be allowed in here.”

Another guard appeared and upon seeing him, he placed a hand on the first guard’s shoulder.

“Myungsoo, let him in. He must be going through a hard time right now.”

The first guard huffed and stepped aside, allowing Taemin to pass through. Taemin ran through the castle to the throne room, where his mother-in-law sat patiently waiting for him.

“I assumed that you would be coming.” Hyun Mi’s voice rang out as he ran in, panting and out of breath.

Taemin looked around in wonder as he noticed that the once colourful throne room was now replaced with completely black interior. His eyes widened as he noticed that not only was the room refurnished, but all the palace officials and servants were wearing black as well. The queen stood up and turned around to face him, causing Taemin’s heart to drop into his stomach. Tears stained the queen’s face as she walked down the stairs from her throne. The world surrounding Taemin began to fade away as the queen approached him at a faster pace, her face changing with each step. Taemin’s eyes widened in recognition as Queen Hyun Mi’s face transformed in to the face that he had woken up to every day--Maerin’s.

“M-M-Maerin….” he reached out a hand to touch her, only to find himself drifting farther and farther away from her.

His joy in finding the love of his life quickly turned into confusion as she turned around and ran, almost as if she was taunting him to come and catch her.

“Maerin….Maerin...MAERIN!!!”

And that was when everything in the world faded into black for Lee Taemin.

Present Time

Taemin rubbed his eyes to clear away the groggy sensation that tingled from the tip of his nose all the way down to his nose. Whatever the doctor had injected to him had worked -- he had been put into a deep medicine-induced sleep and had temporarily forgot about his family. Climbing out of the cot that he had been sleeping on, he poked his head outside to find himself face-to-face with the girl who had given him the shot.

“Excuse me, but would you be so kind as to tell me where my wife and daughter are? They must be so worried about me right now.” Taemin said rubbing the back of his head to subdue the pain that was consistently growing there.

Taemin watched as a weird look came over the nurse’s face as she checked his records on the clipboard that she was holding.

“Sir….that was just a dream...you’re not married and you most definitely do not have a child.”

 

Fin.

 


Messages: 

Hi Mommae~
I hope you enjoyed reading my story ^-^ It didn't exactly turn out the way I wanted it to cos the fluff just kept coming out into my writing instead of it becoming the angsty story I wanted it to becomeㅠㅠ. But that's okie cos i'm thinking abt writing a sequel ehehe ^-^ my plans for two stories fell thru cos i got stuck in writer's block for the first one so it stopped after the first paragraph ㅠㅠ sorry mommae :'( i hope yu enjoy this fluffy angsty mixed genre fantasy story ^-^
love, your aegi <3