The Truth

FATED

CHAPTER 3

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Sehun

"Is there anything left?"

I turned to looked at Jongin. I shook my head.

"No." I replied.

"Good. Let's get in the car."

That morning we packed to go back to Seoul. Since the incident last night the situation was very awkward, how Jongin and Soojung saw me embracing Jinri that night,That was so embarassing. Do not ask why I hugged her last night. I might be crazy. Oh Sehun is crazy.

But it feels like that warm embrace .. for some reason i like it . I feel comfortable when I embrace her. I feel like I want to feel it again. What's this all about?

The four of us walked to the car. Since last night, Jinri didn't dare to look at me or talk to me, Soojung often throw a sharp glance at me, while Jongin still trying to be as usual. On the way home the situation in the car was still awkward . We only talk as necessary, only Jongin and Soojung often exchange words. Jinri just stared at the car window, stared at the street and did not even look at me.

After an hour the car stopped in front of my house. We're finally arrived.

"See you later, Hyung." Jongin said as effortlessly as possible.

"Thanks for the ride, you all want to go in first?" I offered.

"No, thank you." Soojung said quickly.

I'm sure after this Soojung will hate me. Well, I think she loves Jinri, her bestfriend so much. She defended her last night. It was my fault. I know.

"Okay then. I'll go first.." I said goodbye to them. Jongin nodded still looks cheerful, Soojung staring forward,still kept silent, while Jinri this time turned her head to looked me. My heart was beating fast. I tilted away. I was about to open the door, but I heard Jinri's voice.

"Bye, Sehun." She finally talked to me. I looked at her. Our gaze met again.

"Bye, Jinri." I replied. Jinri nodded, revealing a thin smile and then she looked away.

I got out of the car and watched the car leave. I sighed heavily, I've messed up their vacation. I hurried into the house and headed to my room.

On the next day, I intend to invite Jongin to meet in the cafe we ​​used to meet and drink coffee, I feel I really have to apologize to him. I really ruined the vacation yesterday and i still felt bad about it.I lay on the bed and stared at the ceiling, suddenly remembering when I embraced Jinri, her face as she cried, her smile, her voice. Wait. Did I miss her? It was still yesterday since i saw her! Ah no! I'm really crazy.  How could i thinking about other woman instead of Irene?

Aish, I was about to send a message to Jongin, why did I even think of Jinri instead?

I sat up quickly on the bed and stared at my cell phone screen, typing a message to Jongin.

Hyung, Are you busy this evening? How about we meet in usual cafe? There's something I have to talk about.

Send.

I tapped my foot on the floor, waiting for a reply.

Then my phone vibrates. I quickly opened the message.

Sehun, this is me Soojung. How about we meet? Just you and me. I have to talk to you about something. Don't think negative, Jongin already allow me to see you. In the cafe where you used to meet Jongin, at 06.00 pm.

Huh? Soojung will meet me?

She said she wanted to talk about something, Is this about Jinri?

She wanted to lecture me. I know. Okay then. I'll explain everything. I'll explain that the incident was just a mistake. Yes. Anyway I'm also not aware why I suddenly embraced Jinri. It was just a reflex reaction because she was crying, so I had to calm her down. Should I say that? I think so.

 

***

 

06.00 pm.


I came to the cafe first. I have not seen Soojung. It was already fifteen minutes I sat waiting for her. Then I saw her entered the cafe, wearing Jongin's black jacket. I know that jacket. I waved at her to let her know where I was. Soojung grabbed my signal then she came to me, she sat from the other side of the table.

"Sorry to wait,Sehun." She said as she took off her jacket.

"So, Jongin.. that man, really let you meet me alone?" I asked, try to be casual.

"Yes, I told him this is important and this is about Jinri, so he allowed me to see you in person."

It is true. It's about Jinri.

"Soojung, let me explain-

"Good evening. Sorry to disturb, this is the menu .."

a waitress suddenly was standing near us, gave us the menu.

"One coffee." I say.

"One milk tea." Soojung replied.

The waitress wrote our order on the note, then took the menu from the table. "Thank you, please wait for a while.." she said then walked away.

Before I could open my mouth again, Soojung asked me. "Why did you sneak into Jinri's room that night, Sehun?" she asked, leaning on the table and looking at me seriously.

"I heard her crying, so I went up to her and apologized for spit out harsh words to her. Soojung, I dind't have bad purpose." I tried to explain.

Soojung is still looking at me seriously. Like a police interrogating a suspect.

"Then .. why did you hug her?"

I was startled.

"That .." I scratch my hair that does not itch. "It was just a mistake."

"Sorry? Mistake?" Soojung raised her eyebrows. "Sehun, sorry if I ask you this, but you weren't planning to take advantage of her that night, right?"

What? Why does she think like that?

"Of course no! I did it because she was crying, so I-I just wanted to calm her down. I swear."

"I didn't think you were that attached to her. Because before you do that, you said that harsh words in front of her face. It was just strange to see you embraced her so tightly."

Uh. Oh my God. Why did she discuss that matter again? I took a breath.

"I'm sorry about that.I really am sorry."

"But is that true?"

"What?"

"Do you really hate Jinri?"

I kept silent for a while. I didn't know what to answer.

"Why do you hate her? Did she ever do something wrong with you?"

"No..It's-"

"You heard those rumors right? Is that what makes you hate Jinri?"

"I think so." I replied but i was not sure with my answer.

"Sehun, you hate someone just because you hear bad rumors that are not necessarily true ?!"

I looked at Soojung who looked angry at me. But she was right, in fact I had no right to hate Jinri just because of the rumors. However .. that feeling of hate is just nesting, since I met again with Jinri. On the other hand, I feel like i want to be closer with her. What is this?

"So, thats mean the rumors are not true?" I asked. Soojung looked away.

"Listen Sehun ..."

"If the rumors are not true, why doesn't Jinri say if it was not true?"

I asked again.

"Because Jinri doesn't want to." She replied.

"Jinri does not want to justify anything about her in front of people, because she says it's useless, even it's just me and her who know the truth."

"What truth?" I asked quickly.

"Sehun, this is not easy, Jinri never allows me to tell anyone, but I feel I should say this to you, because I hate it if people misunderstand her.Especially you, I couldn't accept if you saying that Jinri is a naughty woman!"

"Then what happened to her?"

"There's a lot going on with her, I'll tell you everything, but promise me you won't tell anyone else. This is about my bestfriend. I won't forgive you if you break this promise Okay?"

I nodded. "All right, I promise.Please tell me."

Wait. Do i being curious about Jinri? Why should i?

Soojung nodded, sighing. She started to spoke again,

"Jinri and I, we've been friends since we were in elementary school. At that time, Jinri just moved at Seoul with her parents, she's a new kid, but she quickly got along easily with everyone including me.We get closer as time went on.Unfortunately, we were not in the same school when we went to junior high school. I didn't know if Jinri is in the same school with you in junior high school.You remember how Jinri was when she was in junior high school?"

"She's kind of a tomboyish, she always cut her hair very short and she was a brave girl, she was also ...smart. I heard a little about her from my classmates." I replied.

"Thats right. She is a brave and very cheerful little girl. I feel very happy to be around Jinri, she always brings the joy with whomever she associates. But suddenly Jinri stopped to see me, she was also reportedly not attending school for a week.I was worried, so I came to her house, and i finally know the reason why she didn't show up for a week. Her father was seriously ill, her father had brain cancer. "

"Excuse me, one coffee and one milk tea for table number 6." A waitress suddenly came and put two cups of drink on the table.

"Thank you." Soojung said.

The waitress nodded and left. We both paused, sipping our drink.

Then I asked, "And what about her father?"

Soojung puts her cup on the table, folding his fingers. "At that time I tried to strengthen Jinri, made her believe that her father could be healed. But it turned out I was wrong, one month later his father passed away bacause of his serious cancer."

Jinri's father died? her father died when she was in junior high school? why didn't I hear about that in school?

"After his father's death, Jinri's economy became unstable because it was his father who had worked as the backbone of his family. His mother then work hard to balancing the economy in her family, but of course her salary was not as big as her husband was still alive. But do you know Sehun? Jinri still smile, she didn't show her sadness in front of people. She said life must goes on. I admire her, she is a positive person. When we were in the high school,Jinri has started work to help her mother to get more money. While others could rest and play after school time,Jinri has to work until late at night, I really admire her, he's a strong woman. "

She have a hard life. I realized.

"Time went by until we finally graduated from high school and you know? Jinri get the highest grades in our school . She was so happy that she finally get accepted in medical faculty, pursuing her dream of becoming a doctor. She said she wants to be the doctor so that she can heal and help sick people out there. But you know medical school is very expensive, She was so confused,but his mother assured her that Jinri should pursue her goals. "

Soojung sipped his her tea for a moment, as did I. I really didn't expected that. I did not expect Jinri had to struggle like that. Feeling of gulity began arise in my heart. But .. why did she change? Why there are those bad rumors?

"Do you still want to hear my story,Sehun? "

"Of course. Please go ahead." i answered.

"Jinri decided to go to the medical faculty, she really wanted to pursue her dreams and make her mother glad.But still two months in the college, she began found trouble in the college payment.I persuaded her not to worry, I tried to help her. After a few weeks, she met a man at the campus, a college teacher, and they are dating."

"Wait. She was dating a college teacher?" I asked.

"Yes. He was her first love,Sehun. Jinri was still so innocent, she never been in relationship before,and he is not that old. He was still 30 years old."

"What? That is old. What do you mean thats not too old?"

"God,Sehun. Okay if you think so. Jinri dated him because she said he was a very mature,kind,and a caring man. He always take care of her. Even the man helped Jinri's to pay college payment. Jinri thought he was serious with her and he would married her. I'm so happy at that time, because finally Jinri meets a man who loves her and is willing to sacrifice for her, but actually he isn't a good guy after all. after a month Jinri often comes to me, crying, because her boyfriend started to be rough and often hit her. He even often forced Jinri to give her ity to him, but Jinri of course refused that. I was very angry and told her to broke up with her boyfriend, but Jinri still tried to hold on , because the man also helped her to pay the college payment. She didn't want to disappoint her mother by quitting college. But after days passed, I started to see the bruises around Jinri's body, I was getting worried for her. Finally Jinri told me shortly that she decided to break up with her boyfriend because she couldn't stand it anymore."

"Bruises? He hit her?who is that man? I mean.. his name!"

Why do I want to know? It's not even my bussiness.

"I can't tell you his name, Sehun." Soojung answered quickly.

"Why?" I protested.

"Because you didn't have the right to know about that. Let me finished it. Jinri finally said she want to broke up with him, but he was so angry with her and he couldn't accept her decision. Jinri still kept her decision and broke up with that man. She thought it's all over, she would be okay. She called me that night, told me how relieved she was to have broken up from that rough and filthy guy, but the next day that terrible incident came. "

"What incident?"

"That night after coming home from college, Jinri was suddenly dragged by someone to a car, she didn't know who is that person first because he wore ski mask. She tried to scream but he captivated her. When she woke up she saw herself already in the empty building with the man in front of her. The kidnapper removed his mask and it was him. Her exboyfriend! That filthy damn teacher. You know what happened next? He.. he hit her many times. And-

Soojung looked down, her eyes looked red.
"He ... her."

I gripped my cup very tightly. Damn. How can a teacher do something like that? Suddenly there is a sense of anger in my heart. How could he hurt Jinri that bad?!

"Why doesn't Jinri report him to the police? The man must be reported to the police!" I shouted.

"Keep your voice down,Sehun! I told you i don't want this conversation to be heard by anyone else."

"Sorry. Why you and Jinri don't report him to the police!?"

"I was about to report, but Jinri stopped me and said she wanted to keep it herself, because she was very scared if his mother knew about it."

Oh, my God. Jinri ..

"After that incident, that guy is lost. I don't know where he is now. I bet he is ran away because he is afraid he would be jailed.Since that incident,she was very traumatized, Sehun. I decided to took her to the psychiatrist and she was getting better until suddenly came out those bad rumors about her. The rumors getting worse even it said she sold her own body to pay the college expsenses. I know that it must be that ing guy who spread about those fake rumors. He must be wants to take revenge because Jinri broke him! Jinri finally had to get out of the university because she was bullied by her friends and she couldn't pay for the next college exspenses. I tried to help her for the payment but she refused my help."

I bowed my head in disbelief. How can i said that harsh word to her that night? She is suffering enough. Her life is a mess, how can she through it all. Jinri..

"Why,Sehun? Do you regret for saying such things to her?" Soojung asked me in sarcastic way.

"Yeah. I regret it. Thankyou for telling me the truth,Soojung.

"Good. From now on please make it as a lesson. Don't hate anyone before you know the root of their life. And please don't say harsh word in front of my bestfriend ever again." Soojung gulped her tea and put down the cup.

"I think i have to go home soon. My husband may waiting for me." She said smiling.

I nodded. "I think you're right. Don't make Jongin wait. As far as i know, he hate to wait."

"You know him so well."

"Yeah."

We both came out of the cafe.

Soojung tapped me on the shoulder.

"Thanks for the time, Sehun." She said then she walked to her car.

I thought about something than i quickly ran before her, stopped Soojung before she could get into her car.

"Soojung,wait! can i ask you something?"

"What's that?" She asked confused.

"May I ask for an address where Jinri works?"

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________