Part 2.

Toss Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“How do you guys even manage to throw a disc properly?” Momo sat on the bench watching Sana and Mina toss the disc to one another continuously without fail. The 2 players were aiming to throw consecutively 100 times and they are already at their 37 set.

 

“Just flick your wrist and throw.” Sana demonstrated her words and made a perfect pass to Mina.

 

Mina caught the disc and in split seconds, she faked and returned the disc back into Sana’s hands.

 

“How did you do that?” Momo gasped. Her eyes blinked in disbelief as though the national treasure was in her hands.

 

“You just need to get the flick right, and flick hard.” The disc was passed back to Mina.

 

“You know, sitting there won’t help you improve your throws.” The voice made Momo turn her head.

 

“Captain!” There was a delight in Momo’s voice which caused the Mina and Sana to stop their throw and turned to look at Momo.

 

“You guys are really together?” Now it was Mina’s turn to look shocked.

 

“God, Momo, why didn’t you tell me?” Sana rested her arms on Mina, acting all offended and fanning herself with her hands.

 

“We aren’t together,” Nayeon clarified. “And I told you to stop calling me captain, right?”

 

Momo felt a pang in her heart when Nayeon had said those words. She wasn’t sure why but it hurts. Momo chuckled in an attempt to play it cool.

 

“They are definitely hooking up.” Sana covered the side of and whispered loud enough for all of them to hear in which, Mina agreed. Momo was somehow embarrassed for her friends’ actions which they are not even embarrassed about.

 

Momo awkwardly smiled and pushed Nayeon a distance away from her friends, not forgetting to grab a disc. “Ignore them, you should help me with my throws.”

 

Momo held the disc in her right hand, and asked, “do I just throw it?”

 

Nayeon nodded her head, watching how Momo moves when she threw out the disc. She got Momo to throw it again, and again. Every disc flew up and returned in different angles. There it was, Nayeon finally spotted Momo’s mistakes and stepped forward.

 

“Try throwing the disc at me.” Nayeon positioned herself in front of Momo with some gap between them.

 

Every one of Momo’s try, the disc was never once towards the captain. Each time the disc was thrown towards her, Nayeon had to stretch her limbs to catch the disc. It was tiring, but the outcome was usually worth it. But Momo felt guilty. She felt guilty for making Nayeon run all over the place and the only thing she could do was to apologise.

 

“Don’t apologise if no feelings are hurt, or physical. Because once you do, everything becomes your fault. Instead, tell yourself, you’ll do better the next.” Nayeon tossed the disc back to Momo. Watching the oncoming disc, Momo was ready to catch it. Nayeon threw it slow enough to allow Momo to react and pancake it. “Also, tilt your wrist and release accordingly.”

 

Gradually, the distance Nayeon had to run got lesser. However, the number of jumps and squats increased. If any outsider had seen them, they would have thought Nayeon was being punished.

 

“Hsss, this won’t work.” Nayeon approached a really confused Momo. She placed her left hand on Momo’s shoulder and held onto Momo’s wrist. Her front pressed against Momo’s back. Their proximity was so close to the point Momo could feel Nayeon’s heartbeat on her. Momo kept quiet even though the closeness bothered her. As much as she felt uncomfortable, she wanted to stay in this position.

 

With Momo’s hands, Nayeon drew a line forward before verbally telling Momo to flick her wrist. Although there wasn’t much power in the disc, it went straight. Not up or down. It was straight.

 

“You got the feel of it, right? Try it.” Nayeon lets go of Momo and stepped aside to observe.

 

Momo followed through the movements Nayeon had just shown her. However, the disc still made its way towards the ground. Momo giggled sheepishly knowing her mistakes.

 

“One more time,” Momo recalled the angle of her wrist and released the disc, only to have it fly towards the ground again.

 

“Instead of drawing the line with your elbow, push your elbow forward. Draw it with your wrist.” Nayeon adjusted Momo’s arm and guided her again.

 

“This is it, this throw will succeed!” Nayeon stood opposite Momo, waiting for the disc to be perfectly thrown towards her hands. Nayeon clapped her hands twice and lowered her stance.

 

Nayeon’s action had made Momo excited as well. She wanted this throw to be the light for her future in the team. She took in a deep breath. She pushed her elbow forward and drew a line with her wrist and there goes the disc. Flying into the direction of Nayeon’s face instead of her hands. If the person opposite her wasn’t Nayeon, who knows what might be the outcome.

 

“You’re doing well, don’t give up! I say, 3 throws and you’ll succeed.” Nayeon tucked the fallen strands of hair behind her junior's ear. She patted Momo’s shoulder and went back to her position. “3 throws.”

 

3 throws, Momo told herself, she wasn’t going to disappoint Nayeon. She didn’t want Nayeon’s efforts to go to waste.First try, she released the disc a little too late having it steer towards the right. Second last throw and Momo was nervous. More nervous than the interview for her part time job. Her hands were wet from the soil and sweat. She was holding the disc with a power grip tightly. She exhaled and performed the throw. The disc slipped from her hands and it flew towards the left. There goes her second throw.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter