Part 1.

Toss Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

As the sun starts to set, the floodlights start to turn on simultaneously.

 

The field was filled with new members of the club, running within their allocated box, clashing into one another and tossing discs that barely flew in the air. It’s a common sight at the start of every year, but as the players enter a new year, the numbers reduced and the remaining would be part of the team.

 

The seniors of the club had stationed themselves behind the side lines with their arms crossed as they eyed for potential players that could possibly make the team. Most of them had a serious look. Frowning when a potential player made a bad throw and smiling when a weaker player did well.

 

The juniors constantly take side glance at them, judging their own skills from the senior’s facial expression. Ultimate was one of the niche sports the school provided and many wanted to prove that they are worthy. Mina was one of them. Also, the sport was an up and rising interest in many and that was why Chaeyoung and Tzuyu had joined.

 

Besides the hardworking ones, there are those who joined because their friends had dragged them along or they wanted to keep themselves busy. The perfect examples would be Momo and Sana. The coach can usually tell them apart from the hardworking ones but Sana was an exception. She was like a prodigy in ultimate, her throws were as good as the seniors and her defence was quick. As for Momo, she couldn’t play at all. The disc that she threw out, returned; and the disc that she caught, dropped.

 

The field was suddenly engulfed in darkness when the floodlights had switched off all at once, signalling that it was 10PM. The coach blew his whistle and shouted a loud “gather”. Obeying the coach, the players dropped the disks on hand and ran towards the coach. In front of the coach, the juniors settled onto the floor while the seniors stood at the back with their hands behind them. All of their attention were on the coach, waiting for his instructions.

 

“When I call your name, come and stand beside me. You will be joining the seniors for their up-coming competition.” The coach paused. “Jae, Mina, Yerin, Sungjin, Jisoo, Yuju, Chaeyoung, Jackson, Yugyeom, Tzuyu, and lastly, Sana.”

 

The called players stood up one by one and made their way towards the front. Mina grinned, knowing she would be selected and so did Chaeyoung. They had studied the expressions of the seniors. Tzuyu was in disbelieve. She knew she had made couple of errors which she stuck out her tongue for. Finally, when Sana’s name was called, she was shocked at first then elated, but guilt slowly kicked in when she realise that Momo’s name hasn’t be called yet. The smile on her face disappeared when she turned to Momo and gave the latter a tight hug.

 

“Next competition, you can do this.” She whispered before standing up and proceed to where the other called players were. Up in front, Sana constantly kept her eyes on Momo, mouthing words to cheer her up.

 

Once they were dismissed, everyone cleaned the field and left. Momo and Sana were the last few to leave. Momo had her head down, swinging her legs back and forth while waiting for Sana to finish her introductions to the seniors. She felt lonely, Sana was going to train with the seniors now and she was left alone with the rest. Her mind had drifted to pointless thoughts when a pair of legs approached her. The shoes were torn apart with the sole close falling off.

 

“I’m Mina.” The girl had her hands out, beckoning Momo to shake her hands. Hearing the name didn’t make Momo feel any better. Just another one from the senior team.

 

“Momo,” she shook the girl’s hands anyways.

 

“I saw you play, you weren’t too bad. You just need to work on your throws and your catches.” Mina sat beside her.

 

“Thanks, that helps.” Momo’s voice had lost its soul. But one thing that caught her attention, was that Mina in-game, and Mina off-game was completely different. In-game Mina was fierce. Like she would rip a muscle off your neck. Off-game Mina was shy, and quiet.

 

Talking to Mina a bit more had let them become closer. She found out that they had quite a few things in common in which she invited Mina to join her and Sana for lunch in the future. They talked a little more before Sana comes running back, apologising to Momo for taking so long.

 

Their conversations continued until Mina decided it was time for her to leave as it was getting late and she has early classes the next day.

 

-

 

“So, when are your competitions?” Momo asked after inhaling a spoon full of rice.

 

“Coach is saying 2 months from now.” Sana cleared the last grain on her plate and pushed the tray aside, giving some space for her arms to rest. “I’m starting to dread training, Momo-ah, want to switch place with me?” Sana continued, displaying her best puppy eyes to Momo. Her hands were on Momo’s arms shaking violently preventing Momo from drinking the last of her soup.

 

“Have fun persuading her,” Mina gave Sana a pat in the back, encouraging Sana to try harder.

 

“Coach wouldn’t like that, I’m not good enough to replace you.” It wasn’t a surprise that Momo managed to finish her soup with Sana still violently shaking her. If perseverance was a weapon, Momo could kill many.

 

“The seniors are leaving, we should too. Coach doesn’t like us being late.” Mina held the tray in her hands and stood up.

 

“When does he like anything.” Sana does the same thing along with Momo and the three of them went to return their trays. “Never.” Momo added as they returned to grab their bags and followed the crowd of seniors and juniors towards the field.

 

By the time everyone gathered, the coach was fuming. Even though the trio had arrived on time, there were a handful who didn’t. With the coach as someone who drills on punctuality and team play, everyone got punished.

 

“20 rounds. Now!” The coach blew his whistle and the players one by one picked up their pace and started running together. It had only been a month since the first day and the coach had never once lowered the intensity of the training. Each punishment increased in difficulty. The only decreasing factor was the number of people.

 

“If you don’t like my club then leave.” Those words echoed through the field.

 

5 rounds into the punishment and the juniors started to slow down, clearly lagging behind the seniors. Several could be seen clutching onto their waist for support as they push ahead. The seniors slowed down to match the pace of the juniors as they run. Words of encouragement could be head from both sides cheering on another on for the next 15 rounds.

 

“Why are you walking whe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter