Part 3.

Toss Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Two hours before the competition starts and the matches were decided by round robin. Divided into six different matches, the team was up against Korea University first, followed by a match against Seoul National University and their last game is paired up with Konkuk University.

 

Facing Seoul Nation University during the third match wasn’t favourable for the team. Seoul National University came in first for the past few years and till date, no one has managed to beat them. The team had come close to beating them before but that was because the schedule then had favoured them. Unlike then, the team had back to back matches to play. Playing against Korea University and Konkuk University wasn’t that big of a challenge. Beating Seoul National University was their main goal.

 

The team had don on their royal blue jersey, proudly showing off their school name. Team captains of every team could be seen approaching their opponent for a flip for disc – a process to determine the offence team and the defending team.

 

With the disc in hand, Nayeon approached the captain wearing a crimson coloured jersey. Without much words, the captain called for heads and Nayeon flipped the disc.

 

“We will be taking offence, 5, 2,” the captain claimed his side and left. Nayeon bends down and picked up the disc that they will be starting with. She got back to their allocated bench and sat with her teammates to watch the game between Seoul National University and Konkuk University.

 

The whistle sounded signalling the start of the game. Nayeon whipped her head back to look at the audience behind her. She scanned the crowd and disappointment found its way to her face. She gave it a second glance and she spotted Dahyun this time. Although Nayeon was waving with a smile on her face, it was a bitter smile.

 

Nayeon turned back to her team. Jeongyeon and Mina were sitting on the grass in front of her, analysing the gameplay of the current match. Sana was with Yerin, Yuju and Jae, bickering about the most attractive player on the field. Their Conversation had cause Nayeon to smile a little more as she added in, “I’m the most attractive player, what are you talking about.” Chaeyoung and Tzuyu sat among the rest of the team watching the game intently, cringing at every collision and scowling at every foul play. Even though her players were all present, she still felt a certain void.

 

-

 

“Ey, he should have dived for the disc. They would have gotten a point at least.” Jeongyeon crushed the empty paper cup in her hands and tossed it forward, supposedly aiming for the player that should have dived.

 

“Would you have done so?” With her crossed legs, Mina leaned forward and stretched for the crushed cup that the older had thrown.

 

Jeongyeon shot Mina and offended look. “You have played with me enough to know that I would dive for a disc that’s miles away from me.”

 

“Fair point,” Mina poked one of Jeongyeon’s scars on her knee causing the latter to frown. The scar was one that Jeongyeon doesn’t want to remember. She swept Mina’s finger away from her knee and pulled both her legs towards her chest.

 

Sensing the sudden distance, Mina pointed to one of the scars on her leg. “Got this when my brother shielded me from a falling cabinet,” she paused and looked at Jeongyeon who was listening to her story.

 

“Continue.”

 

“He injured his spine, so he’s in a wheelchair now. I’m only playing ultimate for him.” Mina kept her eyes on the field, refusing to look elsewhere. She sniffed a couple of times before turning to Jeongyeon and chuckled. “Your turn.”

 

Jeongyeon hesitated. Nayeon was the only one who knew about it and now, Mina would be the next to know. She felt obliged to tell her story as well. If Mina could trust her with her story, she could too.

 

“Uh, I was about to be hit by a car,” Jeongyeon stared at her scar and took a deep breath. “My sister pushed me aside and got hit instead.”

 

Jeongyeon took another deep breath and clench her jaws. “She passed away.”

 

Mina gave no response. She didn’t know what response to give. She thought of words to brighten up the atmosphere but all of them were too morbid for the current situation. She recalled the words she would tell her brother and replied, “she died a hero, didn’t she?”

 

Jeongyeon laughed and wiped away the stray tears. “We came here to compete not cry. We should focus on the game.”

 

They turned their heads to the scoreboard and they weren't surprised. Seoul National University was completely trashing Konkuk University with a score of 9 to 3. Although Konkuk had a good defence, Seoul National was better.

 

As they made their tenth score, Nayeon stood up and got the team to warm up. She looked towards the direction of Dahyun and the younger mouthed words of encouragement which she returned. In no time, the first match ended with the scores 15-6, giving Seoul National University their first win and Nayeon listed the names of the first seven.

 

“Jeongyeon, Sungjin, Brian, Jihyo, Wonpil, Dowoon, Jae.” After every name, the team cheered as the called player ran towards the end zone and stood in a line. Korea University also formed their first seven and stood across.

 

“Man-to-man, across,” Jeongyeon told the team before raising the disc. The opponent raised their hands and Jeongyeon pulled the disc. Whilst in the air, both teams advanced with the opponent calling for stack.

 

The disc flew nicely into the hands of the opponent’s handler. The tension between Sungjin and the handler rose as Sungjin started the stall count. He grinned as he watched the handler opposite him panic a little.

 

As the stall count was slowly reaching stall out, the handler found no open space and turned back for a dump. The opponent quickly received the disc and made a forehand throw. However, Jae was a step faster and managed the intercept the pass, as the disc dropped onto the floor. Possession of the disc changed and Jeongyeon picked up the disc.

 

She watched as the team scurried to their respective spot, exchanging signals with one another. She tapped in the disc and quickly pivoted to the open side and threw the disc far. Dowoon who was the last of the stack made a fake and ran deep for the disc, ditching his opponent behind. However, his opponent quickly caught up as the both of them jumped for the disc. Snatching the disc, Dowoon landed within the end zone and safely scored a point for the team. 

 

The first point was quickly awarded to them and the game continued. The opponent quickly caught up and both teams were now tied at a score of 3. Nayeon called Jeongyeon and Jae out, sending in Sana and Jackson. The opponent pulled the disc and the team ran to their position, as Brian picked up the disc. He faked a backhand and threw a forehand, as Wonpil ran out to receive the disc. The team pushed bac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter