Part 6.

Toss Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m late for class,” bumping into Jeongyeon this soon wasn’t what Nayeon had expected. It had caught her off guard and the only thing that went through her mind was to run away. In fact, she didn’t have a class, in fact, it was a Saturday. Her actions had given her away, that she never wanted to confront Jeongyeon, she just wanted silence.

 

It wasn’t like she had no idea where to go, Nayeon just followed her legs, making pit-stops before her intended station. Her mind was a mess. She was constantly shutting down thoughts that told her to just confront the younger. Her legs stopped as she stared at the room number in front of her. This would be a better option than facing Jeongyeon.

 

Nayeon hesitated but knocked anyways. She waited for the person to open the door but she was met with silence. Not the kind of silence she was looking for. She contemplated her options again. This time between visiting her mom in the hospital or going to the field for a run. She chooses the latter. Besides, she was in an appropriate outfit.

 

Getting into the field was an easy task, but getting out is another thing. Nayeon spotted the coach, sitting on the bench with a pile of discs by his feet and mentally slapped herself a million times. She had forgotten to inform the team about today’s training.

 

She cursed under her breath and turned to leave the field. “Oh, hi capt-” Nayeon panicked bringing her finger to her lips to shush her teammate, dragging them out of the field.

 

The coach cleared his throat and Nayeon sighed, resigning to her fate. This must be a bad day for Virgos. She turned again, this time, heading back into the field, or what will soon be called a prison.

 

“Three of you, I’m giving you guys ten minutes to gather your teammates here. Anyone missing after ten minutes, two extra rounds per missing person. Your time has started.” The coach sat back down on the bench.

 

Nayeon took in a deep breath.

 

“Sana, call the junior team. Momo, you call the rest of the juniors.” Sana and Momo wasted no time and started making calls. “Tell them to come to the field.”

 

The trio had no rest, dialling the next number as soon as the last call ended. Reaching the seven minutes mark and their faces were clearly dejected after being rejected for the umpteenth time. This wasn’t how they had pictured their Sundays to be like. Sana and Momo just wanted to spend their time in the canteen, burying their heads in foods but they ran into Nayeon.

 

Time was closing in on the nine minutes mark and no one has been seen running in. The three of them started to panic, fingers fumbling to press the names and speed text.

 

“Coach, ten more minutes please, some of them are on the way.” Nayeon pleads, not taking the phone off her ears.

 

“One more minute.”

 

“Coach, coach, I know you are not that heartless,” Sana lifted her head up, giving their coach her signature smile which worked in their favour.

 

The coach couldn’t bear to keep his straight face any longer. “I’m going to the canteen to get some food. When I’m back the timer stops. Get it?” Nayeon and Sana nodded their head numerous times and wasted no time but Momo stared at their coach in hopes that he would ask the one question she was thinking about.

 

“What do you want?”

 

Momo’s face lit up while Nayeon and Sana paused and looked at Momo. Secretly wishing she would throw a ton of food for the coach to get so that they have more time to ease the load for their legs.

 

“Signature bread. 2 of them.” Momo’s smile was the brightest when it comes to food. Nayeon and Sana let out a breath of relief. Even though Momo’s request was small, they knew that the school’s Signature bread was on the opposite end of the field, giving them so much more time.

 

 

-

 

“Day one of getting over ignorant therapy, arcade.” Jihyo was waiting by the door. While Jeongyeon was scrunching a whole chunk of toilet paper into the front of the new shoe she just stole from Jihyo. Saying how it’s going to be a new start and she deserves to wear everything new.

 

“I’m done, let’s go, let’s go,” Jeongyeon got up from the bed and waddled her way towards the door. Jihyo didn’t bother to hold in her laughter after watching Jeongyeon stomp at every step she takes because of the large shoe. Jihyo went out of the room and Jeongyeon followed suit, allowing Jihyo to lock up her room before leaving the campus.

 

“You sure you don’t want to wear your own shoe? You look like you’re wearing Ronald McDonald’s shoes.” Jihyo snigger, keeping the keys in her bag.

 

“What are you talking about, this shoe is perfectly fine. This shoe makes me feel like Usain Bolt.”

 

“That’s great because day one just got cancelled.”

 

“Wha-” Jihyo flashed her phone to Jeongyeon before the latter could even ask why. A spark of panic erupted in Jeongyeon. She wasn’t ready to face Nayeon this soon. That moment at the door was too short for her to even react but now she must face Nayeon for possibly the rest of the day. And it's only eleven. In the morning!

 

“You must have used up your luck,” Jihyo gave Jeongyeon a reassuring pat on her shoulder and walked ahead, too eager about the drama that’s about to happe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter