Happier 2.0

My One Shots

A/N this is a continuation of Chapter 1. Do read it first before reading this one :)


Jessica holds her injured arm that someone just bumped few seconds ago. Her body must be super toned, she chuckles internally. She was walking leisurely, enjoying the fresh breeze after the rainstorm and she had this urge to cancel her flight. New York has been her home for 7 years and now she's returning to Seoul, her first home.

Leaving New York had not occurred to her until she broke up with Donghae. She chuckles bitterly, she just realises how she always move to another country every time she got her heart broken. This time it was worse, the guy had on their bed. Of course, the cliché reason was because he was drunk and couldn't control himself but, everyone knew that such reason was nothing but a lie. She saw how Taeyeon got drunk and she was the flirty type as well when she was not sober but never had she seen the girl kissed someone else or worse, had with someone else. Her lips tug upwards forming a small smile upon a certain memory.

"You're pretty," Taeyeon slurred, hand started to fix a stranger's hair and all Jessica did was to watch her girlfriend from behind. The shorter girl did not know that the taller one had been behind her all this time, keeping a safe distance yet close enough to hear whatever she was saying. Jessica could feel her heart burning, she didn't want her relationship to end just because her first love kissed someone or worse, had with someone else, when she was drunk. She was about to tap her shoulder when she heard Taeyeon spoke again, "But too bad, I got my girlfriend who's way prettier than you." Taeyeon's words made her bit her lips as she could feel her cheeks flushed. Taeyeon got a painful slap as a response and the girl frowned before she continued, "B-but that's the truth! Why did you slap me?"

Jessica bites her lips to hide her smile, as much as she wants to smile, she doesn't want strangers in the street to see her looking so crazy. The smile doesn't last long though because she is aware of how 5 years has passed ever since the airport incident and how big the possibility is that her Taeyeon has already found someone. Yes, she counts the year. If she wants to be honest with herself, she's rather happy now that she broke up with Donghae; who knows she'd have a chance to be with Taeyeon again.

She knows that Taeyeon still has this special spot in her heart even before her break up with her fiancée. Donghae could never lull her to sleep as well as Taeyeon did with her soft pats. Donghae could never make her laugh as loud as Taeyeon did with her dry yet funny jokes. Donghae could never make her feel so safe and secure like Taeyeon did when she envelopes her in a tight hug. Donghae could never make her heart races as fast as Taeyeon did when her lips was against hers.

She'd call herself a liar if she didn't want to admit that her heart fluttered when Taeyeon called her pretty, scratch that, Taeyen called her beautiful. She'd call herself a hypocrite if she didn't want to admit that she liked how Taeyeon looked at her deeply despite her being in a relationship with Donghae that time. She'd call herself stupid for letting go someone that she loved dearly.

If only she did talk about their problem to Taeyeon then maybe, just maybe, they wouldn't even break up. She'd probably be walking down the streets with their fingers interlock with each other's or she'd be cuddling with Taeyeon while watching some chic flicks or maybe they'd be kissing under the sky full of stars.

Her heart aches.

If fate gives them one more chance then she promised herself not to waste it, she'd take it in that instant.

+++

Jessica pants when she runs towards her gate only to know that her plane just took off. Groaning, she knows that she needs to buy another ticket to go to Seoul. Once she settles everything, she walks around the Terminal trying to find some snacks to kill a bit of time and once she gets what she wants, she waits inside the gate.

She fastens her seat belt and sighs, goodbye New York. She touches the screen in front of her as she waits for other passengers on the economy class to settle down - the perks of buying a business class ticket, you get inside the plane first. She presses on it a few times, trying to search for movies that she'd watch for the next 14 hours, just in case she couldn't sleep. She doesn't like this seat because she cannot see the view outside the window but she knows she can't really complain, it was her own mistake for missing her actual flight.

She ignores the passenger who is putting her or his cabin bag on the compartment above his or her head but, the person seems to have other things in her mind.

"Oh," the person mumbles, still standing up but Jessica knows that she or he is looking at her. Feeling annoyed for being stared at, she looks up to see the face of the person and time stops.

Kim Taeyeon is looking at her.

The shorter girl is wearing a white shirt with its sleeves rolled up till below her elbow and it is tucked inside her black jeans; her right hand holding on handbag while her other hand holding on an iPad.

"Hi," she smiles as she sits down and fastens her seatbelt.

"Oh, hello," Jessica awkwardly replies. Yesterday she wanted fate to let them meet again but now that they are face to face, she doesn't know what to do. She purses her lips into a straight line when she notices how the atmosphere is thick with awkwardness. She sees from her peripheral view that the latter rummages her handbag for her phone and presses on its screen quickly before returning it inside her bag. Once she's done that, she starts to put all her attention to the screen in front of her.

The plane has taken off hours ago and still, none of them bothers to initiate the conversation. Jessica desn't understand why words don't want to roll out of her tongue as easy as it was like 5 years ago; maybe it is because she's now older and more mature that her actions are much more calculated. The divider between their seats are still not used and yet, she does not dare to even glance at the other side of her cubicle that face towards her first love.

Sighing, Jessica takes off the headset before going to the toilet. When she comes back, she just realises that the girl is apparently sleeping already and she smiles; that serene look on Taeyeon's face is one of her favourites. She contemplates for a few minutes whether she should fix Taeyeon’s blanket that threatens to fall or not; in the end, she does it. She takes her own sweet time to look at the latter's features and her hand reaches out to caress her cheek only to stop it in the mid-air – who is she anyway? She can’t touch her ex’s face just like that.

Hours later, Jessica sighs and switches off the small screen in front of her; her eyes are too tired to even look at those movies and she knows she needs to sleep. She fixes her blanket and her position to be able to sleep more comfortably with her eyes glancing to what the girl next to her is doing. Just when she is about to drift off to sleep, she hears her name being called.

"Jessica," Taeyeon mutters softly, still not turning her head towards the latter.

"Hmm?" Jessica replies, eyes slowly opening and she adjusts to the lights in the plane.

"How are you?"

"I'm... fine," she replies groggily as she stretches her body, attempting to shake her sleepiness away. "How about you?” She asks and she turns her head to her left to see the shorter girl better. Aging does her ex wonders, her jaw line looks sharper than ever and her face looks more mature yet still very attractive.

“You know the usual, work,” Taeyeon shrugs her shoulders and smiles a bit. “How are you and Donghae was it? Your fiancée?”

"We broke up, he cheated on me," Jessica bitterly chuckles. "I hate cheaters," she glances down for a split seconds to Taeyeon's lips and sees how an instant frown is etched on Taeyeon's face; she has this urge to brush her thumb against that lips, one of her methods to make Taeyeon smiles again. "Hey, don't need to look at me like that," she smiles and earns a small smile in return.

"Are you going to Korea just to escape from him then?"

"Well, you can say it like that," the taller girl nods her head. "I asked my boss to put me in Korea and just my luck, there's a spot for me and I honestly miss Korean beef and the street food," she chuckles.

"Yeah, Korean beef and those unhealthy fried food, your favourite," Taeyeon smiles again and both of them only look into each other's eyes, not speaking anything else. "We should eat together again some time,"

"Yeah, we should," Jessica replies and looks away. She can’t look at her for too long, afraid that her heart will pick up the pace. "So, do you go to New York often?”

"Yup! New York feels like second home to me nowadays," the shorter girl chuckles. "It's tiring but it’s my work so I can’t and won’t complain,"

"Your girlfriend would," the taller girl teases her.

"Well maybe that's why I have no girlfriend," Taeyeon laughs as she rubs her nape. "I couldn't keep her, we were too different from each other," she sighs. "She’s like this energy ball that never gets tired, you see; maybe because she’s still young. And me, well I- sigh, you know how I am, Sica,” she pauses for a while and Jessica bites her lips due to accidental nickname slip-up. “I get more tired easily nowadays and keeping up with someone 4 years younger than you is not that easy,” she purses her lips into a straight line and looks down to her lap. “And she thought that I had someone else but it was just my work between us, actually,” she chuckles and Jessica gives her a smile.

“You’re still you, always busy with work, huh?”

“I am still me,” Taeyeon smiles and they fix their gaze on each other for some time. “Guess work has always been the problem, hmm?”

“I’d say, time management,” Jessica chuckles and Taeyeon laughs.

“Right, my time management,” the shorter girl mutters softly, still with a smile on her face. "It's been a while," she continues. "Us, talking,"

"Yeah," the younger one trails off. "I... Honestly, I miss this," she tucks loose strands of her hair behind her ear, looks down to her lap and bites her lips - nothing can describe how shy she is right now. She's not the type to confess her feelings first and yet here she is, confessing to her first love how much she has missed talking to her - she hopes that Taeyeon got the hint that she misses her, not just the talk but her, entirely.

"Oh? Yeah, I miss this too," she mutters softly and Jessica looks up to find the other girl smiling. "You know... Every time I go to New York or return from New York to Seoul, I'd always wonder whether I'd see you," she fixes her gaze on her. "I'd always wonder whether we could bump into each other again just like that time. I've always wanted to ask you how you are every time we meet because I wonder whether you are happier now, compared to the times when we were together," she sighs. "Is it bad that I was honestly happy when I heard you broke up with him?" she looks down to her lap and Jessica has this urge to shout out the word 'No'. "I frowned because I'm not sure whether I'd still have a chance to be with you again even though you're now no longer in a relationship. What is with me always wanting you?" Taeyeon looks up and Jessica takes this chance to stare deeply into her. "To be honest, I cheated on my ex girlfriend,"

"Y-you did?"

"Yeah..." Taeyeon trails off. "When we watched movies together, I, for most of the time, picked your favorite genres instead of hers, unconsciously. When our fingers interlocked, I'd always think that it was your hand I was holding. When I pulled her into a hug, half of my mind drifted back to when you were in my arms. When I kissed her, I'd remember how soft your lips was against mine and how your favourite strawberry chapstick lipbalm tasted like," she chuckles bitterly and looks down to her lap again. Jessica's hand reaches out for Taeyeon's cheek and rests it there, making the older girl looks up to her. "What is with you that constantly pulls me in and makes me unable to forget about you? Tell me, does my effect on you that strong as well?"

"When I walked away from you, 5 years ago at the airport, my heart ached," the younger girl mutters softly and fixes her gaze on the older one. "When you didn't even bother to ask for my number just to keep in touch with me, it ached more," she bites her lips. "That time, there was this thought... whether you were still extremely busy with your work and friends and- and whether you were still in love with me," she pauses. "The smile that you gave to Yoona that day, I wanted it too. How come you gave her a brighter smile?" She chuckles, caresses Taeyeon's cheek with her thumb and she succeeds on bringing a smile to the latter's face. "I went to Eden that night, hoping that I'd catch a glimpse of you. Alcohol was in my system but I was sober enough to know that I danced like there was no tomorrow and I made out with him while I was thinking of you," she trails off. "Is it bad if I kept on seeing your face everytime I kissed him? Is it bad that I kept on comparing you with my ex-fiancee and somehow you would have always won against him?"

"It's bad but not for me, a cheater," Taeyeon smiles and puts her hand on top of Jessica's. "Both of us are cheaters,"

"Take me on a date, Taeyeon. Start a brand new chapter with me, I'll make sure that I'll take care of your time management issues," Jessica chuckles and Taeyeon does too.

"Then it's settled, I'll take you on a date once this plane landed in Seoul." Taeyeon smiles and kisses the back of her hand. "This time I won't let you down because I know, I am always happier when I'm with you,"


A/N hello y'all... thanks for the votes and the comments and the subscriptions!! The preivous chap got lots of love hahahaa I'm busy with school but I felt super happy because all of ur sipport so there you go hahahah

Till next time :)