Lee

Just Us

Hongki knees went weak. Suddenly the beautiful home that every bypasser envied, was a hellish place to him. For the first time ever, the outspoken Hongki was mute. His eyes were beyond wet and he was unknowingly crying. Was he crying for Jaejin or for him?

“Ever since you two made your relationship public Master called Young Master home. You should know, too, that Young Master came home for a short time, then he was in an accident. An argument broke out that day and Young Master stormed out of the house. Master ran after him. Here, at home, we assumed the Masters would have met again, spoke and come to an agreement. After all, Young Master has always done as Master pleases, but when we got that phone call…and they say it was a hit and run…. Master admitted to it but it was after—,”

Hongki raised a hand to stop her, “I don’t want to hear anymore…. Instead...answer me this,”

» » » » » » » » » » »

In the end, Myungsoo found himself seated in the same chair from last night. Across from him, the man was looking at him with a warm smile. Myungsoo wanted to throw a hard object at the man when he was simply reminded of how the laddie looked down on him just minutes ago. “Fine. In the name of fan service, ask just one thing and I’ll answer to the best of my ability,”

As if he had been waiting for this moment his whole life because once Myungsoo dropped the ‘okay’, the boy blurted, “Don’t get me wrong. Fans only know so much,” he started out carefully, “but did something happen to your left ear…?”

It would be a lie if Myungsoo said he wasn't impressed. Did fans pay that much close attention to their idols? He thought most of his fans were only after his looks. With a heavy heart, Myungsoo wondered how he should open up the conversation. After all, it will only end with him blaming Jaejin again.

He sighed, “The band was gathered in the CEO’s office. It was some time after news of Jaejin and Hongki becoming a couple broke out….

Nearly three years ago.

Myungsoo was on the same couch as Minhwan, as they sat facing Jaejin and Hongki.

Burning in the middle of them was a cup of coffee. The CEO had it made as he wanted to enjoy it while congratulating them on another music show win. However, when the news got to him a bit later, he couldn’t find the time to enjoy the coffee.

Instead, furious, he was screaming and shouting into his artists’ ears. “Hey, Lee Jaejin and Lee Hongki. Having fun? You guys thought I put together a boy band just so you can all start dating each other!”

“...no,” Hongki muttered.

“No? Then what is this mess!” The man, who was beet red, hollered.

Frustrated, Minhwan shot up from his seat. His thumbs were hidden in the mouth of his pockets, “Whatever. I’m terminating my contract. I don’t want to be associated with any of this,” as the man turned to leave, the CEO bounced up just as quick.

“Choi Minhwan how dare you walk away when I’m talking!”

With a nauseated smirk, the male continued, “Whatever. Talk to my lawyer. I’m done here,” quickly he scanned past Myungsoo and the CEO before he eyed Jaejin and Hongki. “For our sake, couldn’t you gays hold it until our contracts were over? That’s four years I’m never getting back. Jeez, whatever. I don’t even have the strength to get mad at men who like other men,”

Once Minhwan headed toward the exit, their CEO followed him. “Choi Minhwan! Hey, Choi Minhwan retract what you said about terminating with us! Hey!” As the door shut behind them, Hongki peeked here and there to see if Myungsoo was just as mad. On the other hand, Jaejin’s face was buried. Only the top of his head was exposed to his friend.

“Jaejin,” Myungsoo began, low and compacted, “no matter what weather it was outside, you never lose when we’re playing soccer. But skinship..? Bromance? Did you let all of that get to your head?” Myungsoo leaned forward, “You weren’t like this before. Make a public announcement and change your statement. You two aren’t dating,” he glimpsed over to Hongki who caught his gazed briefly. Then turning back to Jaejin, Myungsoo smacked the table with an open palm, “Change it!”

Hongki flinched at Myungsoo’s command but Jaejin stayed still.

“We are, we’re dating,”

Myungsoo raised a brow, “Do you know what this means? We can’t be a band anymore! No one would want to buy our albums or support our music. Are you going to throw away your career and our friendship for this?”

A soft sigh escaped Jaejin’s lips as he glanced up, “I’m not throwing anything away. Why is everyone assuming the worst? We liking each other won’t change our music,”

“No, it’s already changing. Open your eyes, can’t you tell? Reality is changing for the worst so why are you blind to it?”

Seconds later, they were interrupted when their CEO came back into the room eaten by nothing but rage. And it was a split moment when he was all in Myungsoo’s face, “Fix it! As the leader, you should have stopped any affairs and scandals! We just lost our money maker! Minhwan walked out! If you have taken care of it, they wouldn’t be so messed up! Fix it and bring back Minhwan!”

Myungsoo forced his way up, pushing the shorter and older male back. “Why is it my responsibility! If you wanted a babysitter you should have paid me for that. Why would you pay me to make music!”

“You talk back!” The man scouted the room for anything to throw or hurt. In front of him, he grabbed the hot coffee and splashed it over the left side of Myungsoo’s face. Myungsoo grunted as his hand shook uncontrollably and was covering his ear. “See if you dare talk back again!”

Myungsoo’s eyes were red and burning when they landed on a bewildered Jaejin.

Myungsoo chuckled a little as he examined the stranger’s face. It had less color and was no longer beaming; whether to mock or tease. “After surgery, the only person in that hospital room with me was our CEO. He took care of my hospital bills and came to me with tempting promises. At that time, he set up a platform for me to defend myself,” Myungsoo breathed deeply, “I heard about Jaejin being at Incheon Hospital a few days later and thought Karma was playing its role momentarily. Jaejin came from money so I thought his eyes would be an easy fix. But...when I saw his father at our company, begging for our CEO to take Jaejin back despite him going blind. I was no longer basking in victory. Instead, I felt even more betrayed… Defeated, even,”

Myungsoo ran a hand through his hair, “I….If I look back on it. I think the signs were there. And I would have understood if I told myself it was love that they had. But back then, it felt like someone stole my best friend. Jaejin and I were inseparable. We shared everything together. But...when he began hanging out with Hongki more and only look and smile at Hongki. I think I was…,”

“Jealous?”

“Insecure,” Myungsoo sighed, “and jealous,”

The man across from him nodded slowly, “Since you realize now how wrong of you to blame and treat him like that. Going forward, you should do better. Not only to him but to Hongki too. He’s your member and friend too,”

He released a sigh of relief and nodded.

I’m on a timeout for the next six months. In that six months, my contract will end. Once I leave that place, let’s regroup Jaejin and Hongki.

» » » » » » » » » » »

Hongki was looking into Jaejin’s visionless orbs. How he used to miss those brown pupils that would stare at him with so much love, faith, and warmth. In front of Hongki was a piece of paper with ‘Dignitas’ printed at the top. As he scanned the document, teardrops fell onto the paper and sunk through effortlessly.

“You want me to sign this..?” Hongki spoke through tears.

In front of him, Jaejin appeared helplessly happy. He was smiling when he nodded.

“Instead...answer me this. If Jaejin wasn’t accepting help from his family then...where did the money he gets for treatment come from?”

“Young Master has a hard drive he carried around ever since he was in middle school. I believe he saved his music ideas onto that drive. You know our Young Master is talented and was in demand as a lyricist. A long time ago he showed me some of his favorite works. It was a little over a year ago when I heard the same lyrics being sung by three or four idol groups. I think Young Master sold some of his songs. But seeing that he suddenly stopped treatment, I think someone took advantage of Young Master’s inability to see and stole the rest of his songs. Were you not aware of any of this?”

“Will it make you happy if I signed it..?”

Jaejin nodded again.

Hongki’s throat was dried when he sniffled, “Assisted suicide…,” he mumbled. “You’re cruel, Jaejin,”

Weakly, Jaejin smiled again, “And selfish. I know,”

» » » » » » » » » » »

When midnight came, Hongki was sitting on the stepstone outside their opened front door trying to stop his tears from flowing. He coughed and struggled for air with every curse. And in the cold, he hugged himself as the droplets seeped through his thin clothes.

In the undeserving living room, Jaejin was alone as he faced a single piece of paper lying on the table. On the bottom was the ‘patient’ and ‘guardian/consenter’ signatures. Jaejin’s hands were clasped together as he listens to Hongki’s whimpers.

“You want to sell your songs?”

“Well, I guess they are good enough. How about a discount?”

“They aren’t amazing. Are you a scammer? Why don’t you just give them away for free?”

“I thought we agreed not to pay money?”

“Don’t you live with a man? I can’t give you credit, it’ll embarrass my artists,”

“Although you’re blind. You’ve got thick skin asking for money,”

“How much is your rent this month? I’ll pay it off for you. In exchange, we keep quiet about the lyricist okay?”

Life...embarrasses me. So I’m leaving first. After I leave, even if you won’t forgive me, I hope you will accept Hongki. To me, he’s my everything. Just as you, too, has always been.

» » » » » » » » » » »

Seven months later….

Myungsoo took out his phone and played a recording on it. “Finally! We’re making our debut with ‘Just Us’ soon! Gosh, I’m happy to have you two passionate love-birds back on my team. You really know how to name a song,”

“And group,”

“Ah, right. And group. ‘We’re Just Us!’ sounds funny but it really fit us four well,” Myungsoo beamed in approval.

There was a moment of silence before the drummer spoke, “Jaejin and Hongki, this is Lee Sungjong. The Power Lee Brothers! Aren’t our fans creative?” He took a deep breath before adding, “It will be my first debut so I’m excited to perform. Since you all debut before, this stage will be your comeback stage right? Wow, that’s even more exciting,” Sungjong applauded alone.

Meanwhile, beside him, Myungsoo took a step forward and cleaned the glass. “Ah, sorry. There was a smudge so it was bothering me,”

Sungjong stomped one foot in annoyance, “Seriously. I was talking to my brothers. Why did you have to interrupt?”

Myungsoo clicked his tongue, “Don’t get cocky just because you three share a surname. Once I marry—”

The other titled his head upward as he pushed for an answer, “Married? What happens once you get married? Huh?”

A scruffy sigh left Myungsoo’s peached lips, “Your surname changes, duh,” he muttered as he picked the flower bouquet in hand, shyly.

Sungjong shook his head. “Brothers, see this? This is the type of person he is. I mean in front of your memorials, he’s joking around about changing his last name to Lee,”

Offended, Myungsoo snorted. “Lee? Boring. Why would I be a Lee too?”

“Cause you’re getting married to me,” Sungjong stated. Flustered, Myungsoo sealed his lips and avoided eye contact. “Homophobic, yeah right. I can’t believe you told the world you’re afraid of homouals. Now, compare to my brothers, our relationship will be an even bigger deal because of you. Brace yourself for it since you brought it upon yourself,”

In less than a second, Myungsoo recomposed himself and wore a straight face, “I warned you, Lee Sungjong. Bromance is okay, but don’t let it get to your head,”

“Practice what you preach Kim Myungsoo. Before I fall for you, you’ll probably be head over heels for me first,”

The other scoffed in disbelief. Lee Sungjong always had to have the last word. He was so different, yet, as charming as Lee Jaejin. 

 

Betrayal was a bad feeling. But the worst feeling in the world is knowing you did the best you could and it still wasn't good enough. I'm sorry I understood you too late, my friend Jaejin. - Kim Myungsoo

» » » » » » » » » » »

A/N: Uhhh so that was the end. Thank you for reading. The ending was a bit bittersweet but I hope you, who read this, liked it.

I really enjoyed writing this short story. And for those who have been reading and leaving behind comments, thank you! I lost the motivation to complete this fic but you guys gave me the drive to finish this piece so I'm forever grateful <3