Too

Just Us

Quietly, in the backseat of a cab, Myungsoo cocked his head in puzzlement. He wondered what was it that possessed him to return to Incheon from Seoul, under one evening,  just to get drunk and end up crashing at his former members’ place.

Did a run-in with his former best friend cause it? Was it because Jaejin was still blind? Were there unspoken guilt or regret swept under the rug somewhere between them?

However, when in denial, no matter how many times he tilted his head he received no answer - at least not one he wanted. For the last few years he has felt nothing but hatred, anger, and betrayed; only after convincing himself that it was all their fault, he was able to greet every new day with confidence. But deep down, did he actually miss them? Did he miss Jaejin?

As Myungsoo ran a hand over his pale face, the taxi came to a sudden stop. “We’re here,” said the driver, an elderly man with a bald spot on the crown of his head.

Glancing out the transparent window, Myungsoo studied the familiar building. It was a small restaurant Jaejin had recommended he try once they visit Incheon for a concert or vacation. Though they never got the chance to go together, Myungsoo felt like he was a regular there. The atmosphere was mellow and free from young, energetic fans. “Thank you, sir,” he said moments later.

“You haven’t paid yet,”

As the stranger’s words rang in his head, Myungsoo suddenly panicked. “Oh, right. I left my wallet here. I’ll pay after I get it back,”

The older heaved a distasteful groan but hummed, “Then let me park and we’ll go in together,”

Despite the driver’s unnecessary suspicion, Myungsoo agreed.

Inside was just as Myungsoo remembered. Quiet, dim, and old. The male produced a sigh as the driver shut the door behind them and quickly they were greeted by a pretty, petite woman. Normally, Myungsoo would eye her nonstop until she agreed to give him her number but he had other priorities. He scanned the long, narrow hall of wooden chairs and tables before them but saw no one of interest. Except, directly across from him; however, was a red piano. He assumed the one he had heard being played last night.

Myungsoo rubbed the back of his neck to think as he ignored the woman. Judging by the voice he heard over the phone, it was a young man. Probably in his late teens or early 20s.

Then, suddenly the sound of drums pierced their eardrums.

“Sorry, one moment,” the woman whispered, her voice elegant and gentle. Quickly she hurried down the hall and disappeared behind a knobless door. The door alone gave Myungsoo and the driver the idea that the kitchen was back there. But why was there drumming sounds in that room?

Curious, the older leaned toward him, “Did you really leave it here? Why didn’t you ask that young girl?” When Myungsoo didn’t answer, he continued, “Sorry, but I’m in a hurry. Could you possibly—?”

The door was opened with a squeak that silenced the elderly. Entering the dining room was a lean, tall man. His hair was blonde for who knows why and he wore eyeliner. For a split second, Myungsoo was distracted and thought he was an idol. Until he stopped before them and spoke, in that playful, high voice Myungsoo recognized.

“You finally came,” he said.

Myungsoo swallowed to compose himself. He has seen too many beautiful idols in person to be fazed by an average man. “My wallet,” he spoke, his voice lacking sincerity.

The blondie smiled though one corner of his lip was higher than the other, “Sit first and order something. I’ll make it for you,”

The celebrity thought he had heard wrong but when the man gestured an open, inviting palm toward the closest chair, Myungsoo frowned. “I don’t have time to play. Give me my wallet while I’m asking nicely,” sternly, he held up his own hand.

But the other was just as stubborn, “Sit first. We should cure your hangover,”

Speechless, Myungsoo could only scoff. Then and there, the driver butted in, “Sorry but can you give him his wallet? He hasn’t paid me yet and I’m in a hurry to get back to work,”

The former bandleader thought the man could be bought over. But he was wrong when the other pulled out cash from his ripped, pocket jeans and handed it to him. “Keep the change, mister,” the younger said. Myungsoo raked a hand through his hair when the older hurried out gleefully. Then following behind, the man locked the door behind the elder. “Sit or kiss your wallet goodbye,” he threatened.

His voice was soft yet deadly; a combination Myungsoo love hearing from women before bedtime. However, when spoken by another man, it gave him chills.

Myungsoo pocketed his hands, “Fine, keep it. Everything contained in it is replaceable anyway,” he thought his strong front would hold, but it crumbled down once the nameless spoke.

“Can you really replace a picture of Lee Jaejin?”

“What?” The celebrity bit down until his jaw hurt.

Amusement was drawn onto the unidentified face when he asked again, “Are you sure?”

Myungsoo wasn’t sure what tricks the guy had up his sleeve, but what bothered him more was the look on the man’s face.

He knew something. Something Myungsoo has never shown on television before. “What are you getting at?”

This time the latter pocketed his own hands and grinned, “Kim Myungsoo whose manager probably did everything for him is now managerless,”

The older furrowed his brows, “So?”

A cold chuckle escaped the laddie’s lips, “So, Kim Myungsoo is going to call his credit card company and go in to replace his missing ID? Do you even know your registration number without your manager whispering it into your ear?”

Myungsoo felt insulted and belittled. The feeling was worse than when Jaejin and Hongki’s relationship came out. It was worse than when Myungsoo was yelled at and blamed for not ‘taking care’ of their romantic feelings. It was - almost - as bad as when he learned that Jaejin was in an accident. “Are you saying I can’t take care of my own things?”

A hefty scoff was heard, “I’m saying Kim Myungsoo would rather not go through the trouble of replacing things,”

He didn’t like the sound of ‘things’ but decided to ignore it, “Fine. Let’s settle. You seem like an upfront person too. Aside from telling me to sit and order, tell me what you want from me,”

Just as Myungsoo had predicted. He was forward.

“I want the drumming position in your new band,”

Too forward.

“You’ve got to be joking. Why would a big-name celebrity like me scout someone like you?”

The younger wasted no time to answer, “Because you owe me,”

Myungsoo swore. The nameless has just topped his most-annoying-people-of-all-time list, his CEO dropping to second. “How?” Myungsoo almost spat. He couldn’t tell when he had grown enraged.

The man held up a finger, “Not paying for eating and drinking here. Couldn’t pay for cab fee from here to the hotel room. Couldn’t cover hotel room cost. And…,” the lad was now holding three fingers when he flipped the fourth up,  “making love to me without my consent,”

His eyes gaped. Myungsoo was both horrified and disgusted. His lips trembled under irritation. “So? You’re saying I you?”

“No. I’m saying because you were so drunk, I couldn’t give consent,”

The celebrity the bottom of his lips, “Even if you threw yourself at me, did you think I would touch someone like you?!”

“Of course not because you’re homophobic,”

Myungsoo shut his eyes. Just how much did this guy know about him? Just how much longer did he have to stand and listen to him? Just how—Myungsoo opened his eyes. Suddenly calmer. “...what?”

The blondie folded his arms across his chest as he smiled, pleased, “How was it? Did I scare you good?” Utter speechless and dumbfounded, he stood with a racing heart. “Kim Myungsoo, the leader of one of my favorite band is homophobic. Don’t idols usually say they’re open-minded to attract more fans? But what? Kim Myungsoo did not know about his members' relationship and is...homophobic?” Myungsoo watched as the man play him. “You must have felt betrayed. But what about the ones in love? Gemmers, your fans, knew how close you and Lee Jaejin were. On shows, you both often refer to each other as best friends. But when you discarded your friendship in public, after the news, how did you think they feel?”

With mixed emotions, Myungsoo wasn’t even certain if he should get mad or just listen. The laddie spoke senses but it all sounded like rambling and nagging to him.

“Lee Jaejin eats here sometimes. It’s too bad I’ve only started working for my uncle after Jaejin’s current situation. If I could rewind time, I would love to meet him when 4G was still active. You see, he was my idol. Music, coming out to my family, having a good eye for details. It was all thanks to Jaejin. I admired him a lot, but I,” the laddie paused. “I wanted to meet you more than anyone,”

His head was spinning. What was the man even saying anymore, he wondered. “Just…just give me my wallet,”

“Regroup,” the younger blurted, “your new band. Invite Lee Jaejin and Lee Hongki. Regroup, make a name for 4G - four gems - again,”

Myungsoo rubbed his forehead with a heavy sigh, “Why should I?”

“You want it too. Otherwise, why would you scout for new members in Jaejin’s hometown? Incheon? Why not Busan or Suwon?”

He cursed under his breath. How much of him has been obvious to fans?

» » » » » » » » » » »

Rubbing his hands together, Hongki waited outside the palace gates. The house Jaejin grew up in sure looked beautiful on the outside, Hongki thought. Then running toward the black rods, was a woman in decent wear. Once she locked gazes with him, her face fell into horror and she took a slight step back.

“Wh-why are you here?” she asked in a shaky voice.

Hongki smiled brightly, “Hello Jaejin’s nanny. Are Jaejin’s parents home?”

The woman nodded in a hurry before waving him off, “Master is about to go to work. You should leave before he sees you!”

Hongki blinked, “Wh-why? Is something wrong?”

“If he sees you he’ll get mad, go, hurry,” she said in a whisper.

Before Hongki could follow her orders, a raspy voice from behind the woman made them jump. “Who is it?” As the woman turned to face the older with gray in his hair, she revealed all of Hongki to the man. The older flattened his eyes.

“Hello, Jaejin’s father,” Hongki bowed enthusiastically. “I—” the second he opened his mouth, Hongki was cut off.

“Go away!” The older barked.

Surprised, Hongki’s eyes widened. “Father—”

“Stop it! I don’t know you!” Without another word, the older stepped toward the shimmering, black Bentley and was escorted in. The nanny turned to Hongki and shook her head. Then quickly she opened the gate and let the car out. Looking through the tinted windows, Hongki caught a glimpse - or rather he didn’t - of the man’s eyes. They were facing toward the front, ignoring Hongki as if he wasn’t even there. Off to the side, the woman sighed before she motioned to shut the gate, but Hongki caught her by the hand.

“Did something happened? Father seemed upset?”

She sighed once more. Slightly apathetic. “You should know why. Why would you ask me?”

Hongki clicked his tongue, “Your tone too. Is something the matter?”

She rolled her eyes. “I told you, you should know why! You robbed the Lee’s only son, did you expect us to like and welcome you?”

“Jaejin’s nanny. What do you mean I robbed? Didn’t father agree to let Jaejin live his own life?”

“Did Jaejin tell you that?” She exhaled sharply, “This is why the Lee’s doesn’t like you. You’re naive,”

Hongki scoffed, “Naive? Explain it to me then! What’s there to know that I don’t already know?!”

“Because of you, he refused any help from his family, which caused Madam stress! Even when it was Master who hit him, he refused Master’s money for eye surgery because he wanted to be with you!”

“Hit him? What do you mean father hit him?”

The woman huffed and puffed as she answered with a harsh tone, “Master was the driver who hit Jaejin,”

His eyes were hurting. “Yo-you mean…. The hit and run driver that left Jaejin blind was...was…,”

“It was Master. Young master Jaejin’s father,”