Chapter 4

Blind Emotions

Minjung scanned the words on the paper over and over again, not believing what she just read when…

“Minjung!” Changmin’s yelled as he makes his way to his locker. “What’s taking you so long?”

“Oh! Hey Max…” Minjung smiled nervously and quickly shoving the letter into her pocket. “You’re locker’s so messy… I couldn’t find ANYTHING in here.”

“Geez… It’s right here.” Changmin reached to grab his books located on the top shelf of his locker.

“Well maybe’s it’s just because your locker’s so messy that I thought that was trash too.” Minjung boyfriend, gently knocking him.

“Now I’m late for class, thanks to you. Some girlfriend I have.” Changmin jokingly said before running off to his class.

It might have been said jokingly by Changmin, but Minjung took it the wrong way. She felt really hurt by his words, thinking that maybe he’s gonna break up with her soon. No. She wants to stay by his side, always. And with that letter, she just might be able too. With an evil grin, Minjung walked away with the letter in her hands, slightly crumbled.

A month passed since Eunsae transferred to ShinJung High School. She was now very good friends with Hankyung. She might have accepted Hankyung’s offer at being ‘best friends’ but she still couldn’t bring herself to feel that way towards him. In her heart, there’s only one person she can call ‘best friend’. And that person is Shim Changmin. Even so, Eunsae still treated Hankyung as a good friend. Like how she treated Changmin, but with a tiny bit less affection. She should be forgetting about Changmin but she simply couldn’t. Why? Who can forget first love so easily?

But, Changmin and Minjung’s relationship didn’t go so well either. With his best friend leaving him, Changmin had been less and less cheerful. He rarely went out on dates with Minjung, and would constantly blow off spending time with her during morning breaks and lunch periods to be alone at the same stairway that was filled with 4 years of memories. He shouldn’t feel so sad just because his best friend switched schools but he just feels abandoned. No, it was more than abandoned, it feels heartbroken. He hoped that one day she would come back and just say “A relative was visiting so I had to spend time with them, I didn’t really transferred.” And then they would hug and Eunsae would be her usual self. Oh how he missed her, think about her day and night…

So speaking about Changmin and Minjung’s relationship going downhill… Not just their activities are reducing by the minute, but the affections Changmin feel for her has been reducing too. Her kisses use to send electric waves down his spine, but now he feels nothing but just something on his lips. It didn’t even feel good to hug her anymore. Thinking back at the hug Eunsae gave him before she left, that felt even better. He missed Eunsae more than he would miss Minjung. He needed Eunsae more than he needed Minjung. He would constantly remind himself it’s because he knew Eunsae longer and she was further away than Minjung. Or is it?

One Day…

~At HanBang High School~

“Max!” Minjung ran over to her boyfriend’s side and gave him a kiss on the lips. “I missed you during the weekends. Did you miss me?”

“Hey Minjung.” Changmin smiled before continuing to prepare his books for class.

“Hey~ Did you miss me?” Minjung pouted.

“Well of course I did.” Changmin said without looking at Minjung.

Unsatisfied with the answer, Minjung still chose to leave it. It was time to put her plan into action.

“Hey, your ex-best friend left you a letter.” Minjung said as she handed him a light pink envelope.

“Oh, thanks. And please don’t call her ‘ex-’…” Changmin took the letter and put it in between his books, thinking about reading it later during class.

Briiiiiiiiiiing~~~~~

“Well. There goes the bell. See you after school.” Changmin smiled once more before walking off.

‘This plan better work.’ Minjung thought as she stared sadly at Changmin’s back. ‘I do not want to lose him.’

~In Changmin’s Class~

Changmin took out the letter handed to him from Eunsae. Ignoring what the teacher’s teaching, he opened it and started reading it.

Dear Max,

I’m sorry I didn’t tell you that I was transferring to another school. I didn’t want you to get mad at me. Sorry. I was acting a bit off this month was because I was nervous. I sat for the test and I was anticipating for the result. It has nothing to do with you. Don’t worry. I hope you be a better person when I’m gone. Quit your playboy life and stick with Minjung. After all, both of you are voted ‘Most Likely to Get Married in The Future’. Stay with her and don’t break her heart. Or I’ll break your bones.

Signed.

Chloe.

After reading the letter, Changmin felt a bit suspicious of the letter. Nevertheless, he shrugged it off and decided to fulfill his best friend’s ‘leaving school wish’. He’ll give up his playboy life for good and stick with Minjung.

During morning break…

“Hey Minjung.” Changmin sat down next to his girlfriend, giving her a kiss on the cheek.

“Max! Never thought I’d see you here.” Minjung said with delight, obviously happy that her plan worked.

They chatted and discussed about school stuff, gossiping once in a while. Somehow, Changmin still cannot forget about the letter. It didn’t sound like it was coming from Eunsae. He mentally noted to revise the letter once again at night.

~In ShinJung High School~

“Hey Chloe, we’re competing in a Mandarin debate next week against another school.” Hankyung said while munching on his sandwich.

“Eww… Hankyung, don’t talk with your mouth full.” Eunsae made a look with disgust. “So which school would it be?”

“Hmm… I don’t know. But I do know that we have to practice.”

“Fine… What’s the topic?”

“Work is More Important than Family. We’re the opposition team.” Hankyung said. “As leader of the debate, NO DESTRACTIONS!!”

“And what is that suppose to mean??” Eunsae said, feeling insulted.

“Well you’re always spacing off and stuff like that whenever we’re practicing for a debate or a presentation. Being the best friend, I should have a right to know why…”

“You do… But not now, ‘kay?” Eunsae sighed and continued eating her tuna sandwich.

Later that night…

~At Changmin’s House~

“Wah!! What a hard day in school.” Changmin yelled in frustration as he lay on his bed. “I hate Tuesdays. It always feels longer than other days…”

Changmin took a quick shower before taking his books out for his revision. As his fingers brush across the books, he came across Eunsae’s letter. Thinking back, he remembered he was supposed to reread the letter again since he felt a bit… off… by it.

“Now let’s see. Error number one…”

Shortly after that, he had created a list of things that seem… off… on Eunsae’s letter.

1) Eunsae hates pink. Doesn’t matter what pink but she just hates it and would never be caught dead using it.

2) Eunsae blabs a lot in letters, never straightforward. *like that time she left a note to say that she was feeling unwell… She used the whole A4 paper just to tell him that she’s sick*

3) Eunsae’s writing is usually squishy and occasionally illegible. But the writing on the letter is quite neat and big.

4) Eunsae always puts several smiley faces at the end of the letter. Or sometimes all around the letter. On this one, he found none.

5) Eunsae never says ‘signed’. It’s always ‘love’ or ‘your best-est friend’ or she would just write her name.

6) Most important! Eunsae never calls herself Chloe. She might introduce herself as Chloe but would never sign herself as Chloe. *did she just call me Max?? Again??*

“Okay, made a list.” Changmin looked proudly at his ‘work’. “But what am I suppose to do with it??”

Changmin slump his head on the table and just sulk. Then it hit him… again…

“If this letter is not written by Eunsae… And Minjung handed me the letter.” Changmin widened his eyes at the conclusion. “Minjung lied to me…”

The first minute you see Changmin looking at his ‘list’ filled with pride, the next… he slams his handphone on the bed with a pissed off look. Yep… You guessed it, he broke it off with Minjung. Then he realized how stupid he was for not noticing that Minjung had been acting weird ever since that day he asked her to get his books. To forget this super weird day, Changmin turned in for the night, hoping that it’ll be better tomorrow.

The Next Week…

Word spread about the two’s break up just seconds after Changmin stepped into the school, much to some girls’ delight. Soon, a crowd of girls crowded around Changmin, flirting around and trying to get his attention… That continued the whole day, annoying the heck outta Changmin. He didn’t see Minjung around, not like he’d want to anyway. Now that he and Minjung are over, he just wants Eunsae back, and that everything will be normal once again.

“Eunsae-ah… When will you just come back to this school??” Changmin randomly said as he spaced out while sitting at the ‘Stairway of Memories’.

Besides Eunsae and Minjung, he didn’t really have any real friends in school. The jocks that are always around him are just friends with him because he’s popular and very good with the ladies. As a result, he decided to constantly call his and Eunsae’s childhood friend, Kim Jaejoong.

Night…

~In Changmin’s Room~

“Jae~” Changmin whined over the phone. “What should I do?? I want Eunsae back!!”

“You were never this obsessed with wanting Eunsae back before…” Jae sighed. “Why now?”

“I don’t know!! I just want her back!!” Changmin half yelled and half whined over the phone.

“Geez… If I didn’t know you any better, I’d say that you’re in love with Eunsae…” Jaejoong replied.

“In love with Eunsae…” Changmin blinked as he repeated the words.

“Yes in love with Eunsae…” Jaejoong sighed.

“In love with Eunsae…” Changmin repeated once more.

“Are you a parrot for God’s sake??” Jaejoong said, slightly annoyed at his childhood friend.

“I… I think you’re right, Jae.” Changmin blinked once more. “I really am in love with Eunsae.”

“Err… Well… Good to know that I’m… right…??” Jaejoong stuttered.

“But how do I get her back??” Changmin screamed through the phone.

“Don’t yell!! I’m not bloody deaf!” Jaejoong complained. “If you miss her so much, why not transfer to her school then??”

“Woah… Why didn’t I think of that?” Changmin grinned happily. “And don’t you roll your eyes at me Mister!”

“Well you know me too well…” Jaejoong chuckled. “Problem solved! Night!”

“Night, Jae.” Changmin hung up.

After that satisfying talk with Jaejoong, Changmin just laid on his bed, gazing up onto his ceiling, thinking about Eunsae. Memories then flooded his mind once again. He clenched his fist and immediately sat up straight.

“That’s it! I HAVE to get into that school!!”