Chapter 3

Blind Emotions

~In School~

“Max!!” Minjung yelled out as she saw her boyfriend step into the school ground.

“Hey babe.” Changmin said, giving her a peck on her lips.

“Where were you yesterday after school?” Minjung asked while raising a brow.

“Oh, I had to meet up with a friend.” Changmin smiled reassuringly. “Which reminds me, I’m supposed to look for her.”

After saying that, Changmin gave a quick kiss on Minjung’s cheek before running off to look for a certain girl. Leaving a stunned Minjung standing there with a gap.

‘Eunsae. Eunsae. Eunsae. Gotta find Eunsae.’ Changmin mentally chanted as he walked into his class.

“Hey Seoyeon, have you seen Eunsae?” Changmin asked his classmate.

“Nope. Sorry.” Seoyeon shook her head before walking away.

“Sunghye, have you seen Eunsae?” Changmin asked yet another one of his classmates.

“Eunsae? Oh you mean Chloe. Nope, sorry.” Sunghye then turned back to talking with his friends.

“Hmm… Where could she be? She’s never late.” Changmin wondered, walking to sit at his seat.

Briiiiiiiiiiiiiiing~~~~~~

The school bell rung. Signaling that the students that class is starting. Changmin sighed hard as Eunsae still hadn’t turned up. Ms Lee entered as usual to take attendance.

“Roll call!! Sunghye?”

And it goes on and on until…

“Chloe?” Ms Lee scanned the class for the girl. “Chloe?? Oh! Oops, I forgot she’s not here with us anymore.”

“What do you mean by ‘not here with us anymore’?” Changmin quickly stood up.

“Aah… We’ve just received news from her father that she has transferred to ShinJung High School.”

“Woah, as in that elite private school??” Yesung asked with his eyes widened.

“That’s right. Now please take a seat Mr Shim and I shall begin today’s lesson.” Ms Lee said before turning to the white board.

Slowly, Changmin sank down to his seat, completely not believing that his best friend had transferred schools, without telling him! She had always been with him through everything, thin and thick. They went to the same schools together, make the same friends, well at least until high school. And now that she transferred… Who’s he gonna call best friend in this school? Who’s gonna doodle with him during class? Who’s gonna chat with him at the stairway during morning breaks? And more importantly, who’s he gonna share his problems with in the future?

‘Maybe that’s why she avoided me yesterday…’

~At ShinJung High School~

“Here is the school hall where various important events occur, which includes major examinations and also celebrations.” The school guide explained.

All the while Yunho was watching the many students that pass by them, making sure none of them ogle at his little sister. Eunsae, on the other hand, was just pretending to listen. Nodding her head once in a while to show how interested she was in stuff like ‘the auditorium’. In fact, her mind was wondering of to somewhere else. Someone else to be precise.

‘I wonder if he read my letter. Hmm…’ Eunsae sighed.

Yunho, noticing his sister’s troubled expression, politely interrupted the school guide, asking for a break from their one hour tour. The guide agreed and left them to rest at the school’s cafeteria, where it is completely empty except for the few kitchen workers.

“Alright, talk.” Yunho said to Eunsae.

“Huh? About what?” Eunsae looked at him, confused.

“Look, I know a trouble expression when I see one. And it doesn’t take a genius to figure that you’re feeling down.” Yunho said with a tone filled with concern. “Is it about the school?”

“No. Of course not.” Eunsae laughed slightly, keeping her head down.

“Then what’s keeping my baby sister down?” Yunho asked, lifting Eunsae’s head to look at him. “It troubles me to see you like this.”

“I… I’ll tell you when I’m ready. Ok?”

“Alright. But if you ever have any trouble, I’m here for you, ‘kay?” Yunho kissed her forehead.

“Thanks.”

~At HanBang High School~ (Changmin’s school)

“Max!” Minjung squealed at the sight of her boyfriend walking into the cafeteria.

“Hey Minjung.” Changmin smiled sadly.

“What’s wrong sweetie? Why so down?” Minjung quickly wrapped her arms around her boyfriend and pulled him to sit down at one of the tables.

“She transferred…” Changmin mumbled.

“She?” Minjung pulled away and looked into Changmin’s eyes. “Who’s she?”

“Eunsae… Chloe Jung Eunsae… My best friend… Since forever!” Changmin slammed his hand on the table.

“Chloe? Oh, she must be the girl you helped yesterday.” Minjung recalled. “Don’t worry. It’s not like you’re not gonna see her anymore.”

“Hmm… Yea…” Changmin sighed. “Minjung, if you don’t mind, I’d like to be alone right now.”

And with that, Changmin stood up and head out of the cafeteria, leaving a stunned Minjung for the second time that day. Sadly, he was too overwhelmed by his emotions to even care about that. He went to sit at the same stairway they always go to during morning breaks. He just sat there and looked at the other students outside on the school yard. His mind wandered back to the memories he shared with Eunsae.

Meanwhile, Minjung hid behind one of the pillars as she looked at her boyfriend’s blank expression. She guessed that he was thinking of Eunsae. Somehow she felt a tint of jealousy in her. She knows it was unnecessary to feel that way since they were just friends, but she just can’t help it. Call her selfish but she is determined to make Changmin only hers.

Next day…

~At HanBang High School~

“Hi honey!” Minjung popped up from behind Changmin’s locker door, giving him a fright.

“My goodness. You really scared the heck outta me.” Changmin pinched Minjung’s cheeks.

“Ouch! That hurts!” Minjung quickly slapped Changmin’s hands away and massaged her cheek. “Let’s go on a date after school.”

“Hmm… No thanks. I’m not really in the mood.” Changmin turned from his locker to look at a frowning Minjung. “I’m sorry. Some other time, ok?”

Changmin then shut his locker and walked away. Minjung, feeling rejected, frowned as she looks at Changmin’s retreating back. No doubt, Changmin’s still sad about Eunsae transferring schools. She has to do something about it. She has to make Changmin forget about Eunsae.

~At ShinJung High School~

“Alright class, from today onwards, we’ll have a new student joining us.” The homeroom teacher, who also went by the name of Ms Lee, said. “Please step in and introduce yourself.”

Eunsae in a deep breath before walking into the class to introduce herself. She scanned the class quickly before opening to speak.

“Hello everyone. My name is Chloe Jung Eunsae but, please call me Chloe.” Eunsae bowed. “Please take care of me.”

“Alright, you may sit next to… Hankyung.” Ms Lee pointed at a vacant seat next to the window and a boy who was supporting his head with his hand.

“Thank you teacher.” Eunsae then proceeded to walk to her new seat while looking at the boy.

‘Kinda reminds me of Changmin.’ Eunsae sighed.

“Hi, my name’s Hankyung and I’ll be your seatmate.” Hankyung shot out his hand for a handshake. “I’m a foreign exchange student from China.”

“I see. I’m Chloe.” Eunsae smiled politely before shaking his hand and taking a seat. “Hmm…”

“Hey, let’s be best friends, ‘kay?” Hankyung said with a bright smile.

‘So much like Changmin… In kindergarten…’ Eunsae smiled sadly, but it quickly changed into a happy one.

“Sure.”

“Great! We’re gonna have so much fun together. We can have lunch together, chat together, do projects together…” Hankyung babbled on and on.

Eunsae smiled slightly at the hyper attitude of Hankyung. It’s so much like Changmin’s. Come to think of it, she kinda misses her former best friend. It might have been for the best but that doesn’t mean that she can’t miss him. And man does she miss him dearly. No! She has to give up on him. That’s the whole point of moving to a new school. To start a new life without Changmin in it. Who knows, Hankyung here just might be a good substitute for Changmin.

~At HanBang High School~

“Hey Minjung, can you go to my locker and get my Chemistry books? I have to help Mr Choi with these gym equipments.” Changmin asked while carrying boxes filled with footballs and basketballs.

“Sure thing Max.” Minjung then walked off to Changmin’s locker.

She twisted in the combination for his locker and started digging in the pile of mess, looking for his Chemistry books.

“I should really clean this mess one day. Now where did he put his Chemistry books??”

As Minjung was digging here and there for the books, she came across an envelope. A pale blue envelops, signed Eunsae.

“Hello, what do we have here??” Minjung then opened the letter slowly, without damaging it.

She knows it was wrong but she can’t help it. She was determined to make Changmin forget Eunsae and this is a perfect start to it. Upon reading the letter, her eyes widened at the words, mouth a gap.

“Oh my!”