Because

Snowfall

The confession had shocked him, being nothing he had ever expected to hear from the other man. Jongup loved him? Moon Jongup, the sweetest, most handsome man Daehyun had ever met, was in love with him, useless Jung Daehyun? Despite wanting to disagree, to tell Jongup that he had to be mistaken because Daehyun himself was not good enough for his love, Daehyun’s own admittance of emotions hung in the air. At first he had been sure the other man would recoil, tell him that it had been a joke as he scooted away in disgust, and when it didn’t happen, Daehyun’s heart felt like it might explode. Moon Jongup loved him.

 

“Daehyun, what are you doing?” Jongup’s questioning voice made him chuckle as he leaned over the arm of the couch, rummaging through his jacket pocket for what he knew should be inside. A playful tap on his bottom made him squeak before he pulled himself up to fully return to Jongup’s lap with a purple pen.

 

“Stuff~” Trying to sound as innocent as he could, he took Jongup’s hand in one of his and uncapped the pen with his teeth. “Shh. Don’t move, okay?” Sharing a sweet kiss with Jongup, he began to doodle on the back of his hand near his thumb, humming to himself as he did so. Finally, once he was done, he held up Jongup’s hand for inspection, blushing. The words ‘Daehyun loves Jongup’ were scrawled along his skin in the fanciest handwriting Daehyun could manage, a cute heart and cartoon kiss face accompanying it.

 

“My turn.” Smiling, Jongup held out his hand and Daehyun gave up the pen without a fight. Biting his lip, he watched the other man with an eyebrow raised, curious what he might do. Placing a kiss on Daehyun’s wrist, Jongup held his arm lightly and began to scribble. As he reclined on Jongup’s lap, watching him write on his on his skin, Daehyun felt so at ease, it was hard to believe he could have existed in a time before Jongup, in a time with anyone else by his side.

 

“It’s really handsome, you know...” He reached up with his free hand to rub Jongup’s cheek. “The look on your face, when you’re concentrating on something you’re passionate about, it’s really handsome. I used to notice it in class in high school and then again at the cafe. And just... Its really perfect.”

“Well, at least now you’re finally counting yourself in the category of things I’m passionate about.” Leaning in, Jongup kissed him deeply and released his wrist. “There. It’s not as amazing as your artwork but I tried.” Kissing him back, Daehyun glanced down at the markings on his wrist and blushed. A messy ‘Jongup has always loved Daehyun’ paired with an adorably lopsided set of hearts.

 

“It’s perfect.” Touching it gently, Daehyun looked into Jongup’s eyes for a moment before snatching the pen from him and going on the attack, managing to draw a curly mustache on the man before he found himself on his back, pinned to the couch.

 

“Brat.” Chuckling, Jongup retrieved the pen from where it had fallen during their short struggle and gave Daehyun a mustache to match. “There. Couples Mustaches.” Jongup laughed but Daehyun felt his heart skip a beat as he looked up at the man looming over him.

 

“Couples..?” His hand found Jongup’s while he touched his companion’s cheek, unsure and nervous.

 

“. I’m sorry Daehyun...” The gentle look Jongup gave him, the way he ran his fingertips along Daehyun’s jaw, sent shivers down his spine. “I know this is fast and you just broke up with Youngjae and maybe this is bad timing but given everything... Will you be my boyfriend? Like, officially?”

 

“I’ve been waiting years to heard that.” Grabbing Jongup’s collar, he dragged him into a heated kiss, wrapping his arms around his boyfriend’s neck. Boyfriend. It was going to take some time to get used to, but somehow, it was the most real and absolute thing he had ever felt.

 

“I’ve been waiting years to say it.” Kissing him back, Jongup ran his fingers through Daehyun’s hair before sitting back up with him. “I shouldn’t have been such a coward in high school. I should have told you how I felt before Yongguk even got his hands on you.”

 

“I... As much as I loved Yongguk or even Youngjae... I think I would have preferred being with you all this time.” Sighing, Daehyun moved to cuddle against Jongup’s chest, playing with his hand. “I always hoped... Well, I guess I never really had much hope but I did imagine... I always imagined being with you instead. My knight in shining armor, always there when I needed him. But you were more than that, you are more than that. You were the guy that acted tough, that people thought was scary because you were quiet and didn’t listen to bull but I knew better.”

 

“To be fair, those kids that harassed you in the hallway, I fought all of them.” Jongup chimed in, running his hand through Daehyun’s hair. “The moment they hurt you was the moment they ed up.”

 

“No wonder they left me alone after that. You’re so damn amazing, Moon Jongup.” Kissing Jongup’s collar bone gently, Daehyun continued. “But that isn’t all. You weren’t incredibly smart, but the subjects you loved, you gave your all in those class. You used to be so proud when you got a good grade that I would feel proud too. And you’re so strong. I remember watching you lift weights in gym class. It was incredible. Just.. Everything about you has always been amazing. And really... I just wish I could live up to the person you are. Because you deserve the world, Jongup.”

 

“Why settle for the world, Dae? I already have the moon and the stars in my arms. You’re my universe.” Jongup kissed the top of his head and Daehyun blushed, nuzzling his boyfriend’s neck.

 

“There’s nothing special about me, Jongup.” It was true. He had never felt good enough, had always been shown that he really wasn’t. Daehyun didn’t see anything that Jongup seemed to within himself. But still, he was selfish, so even if Jongup deserved better, Daehyun was still glad he chose to slum around with him instead.

 

 

It filled him with great displeasure, pain even, when Daehyun doubted his own self worth so fully. There were so many things to love about the other man that he wasn’t really sure how to go about naming them off. Jung Daehyun was everything right in the world and for everyone to strip him of his value made Jongup sick. It was his own personal mission to fix this.

 

“Dae, there are so many things worth loving about you. But if I tried to name them all, we’d both die of old age before I finished.” Growling at the other man gently, he held him closer and leaned his head against Daehyun’s. “So I’ll just tell you some of my top favorite things.”

 

“You don’t have to, Jongup.” Sounding distant, Daehyun seemed to slump in his arms, a sure sign he was feeling down.

 

“I want to.” Kissing his forehead, Jongup pulled the blanket back over them. “One time, when we were in school, you found a kitten abandoned by the street before school. You were afraid it would get ran over so you hid it in your hoodie pocket all day and gave it your milk in the palm of your hand during lunch, in an unused classroom so you wouldn’t get caught. You didn’t think anyone knew, but I did. I distracted one of the teachers from finding you. It was one of the kindest things I have ever seen. Without you, that kitten would have died. You took her to the animal shelter after school and now she’s with my mom because I can’t have pets here.”

 

“You adopted her? I always wondered if she found a good home.” Seeming to be relieved, Daehyun looked up to smile at him. “Thank you for taking her in. Taking us both in.”

 

“I’m not finished, Daehyun.” Pressing his lips to his boyfriend’s he grinned. “When you’re reading a book you really enjoy, did you know you react to what’s happening on the pages? You frown, you smile, you laugh and you cry. It’s so subtle, it’s almost easy to miss, but I always thought it was beautiful. You care about people so deeply that even if they’re imaginary, you feel for them. Your heart is so good, Daehyun. Even I can’t compete with that.”

 

“I thought I hid that pretty well...” Blushing, Daehyun hid his face in his hands. “It’s so weird though. Who gets that emotionally invested in something that isn’t real?”

 

“Someone who knows how to love with all of their heart.” Rubbing Daehyun’s back, Jongup continued down his list of reasons to love the man in his arms. “When you eat something you really enjoy, you close your eyes and make these little noises. They’re enough to make anyone’s heart race but coming from you, it’s somehow both the most gorgeous and the most filthy thing I have ever seen.”

 

“Oh gee, Jongup. I didn’t realize I was fulfilling your food fantasies.” Rolling his eyes, Daehyun still seemed to appreciate the sentiment behind Jongup’s words.

 

“You fulfill all my fantasies, Dae.” Sticking his tongue out, Jongup snickered at the blush on Daehyun’s cheeks before he continued. “You’re funny. There wasn’t a single day in high school where you didn’t make a joke, or you weren’t incredibly sassy. My life was filled with laughter because of you. Even when my mom was diagnosed... When everything was hard, thinking of you, remembering you, brought me laughter and joy.”

 

“Jongup...” Sounding taken aback by what Jongup had said, Daehyun bit his lip.

 

“Dae... If I had went through everything with my mom in a world where you didn’t exist... I don’t know if I could have made it.” Saying the words out loud for the first time almost hurt. “I thought about it, when things would get to be too much. I thought about just giving up... But I knew. I knew that as long as there was a Jung Daehyun in this world, as long as there was a chance we could meet again... I knew I could fight through anything.”

 

“Jongup...” Voice strained, as though he was holding back tears, Daehyun pulled him into a kiss, deeper and more emotional than any they had shared before. “My life was empty without you. I... When I thought you were dead... I cried for months. Jongup... Whatever happens, please never leave this world.”

 

“Baby... Dae...” Making soft shushing noises, Jongup rocked Daehyun on his lap, kissing all over his face to calm him. “I didn’t do it. I didn’t die. I’m still here and I am never leaving you alone again. How could I?”

 

“Do you promise?” Sniffling, Daehyun pulled his sweater sleeves over his hands to rub them across the tear stains on his cheeks.

 

“I promise. I’m here to stay.” Kissing Daehyun lovingly, Jongup grabbed his wrist and placed his boyfriend’s hand over his chest. “Do you feel that? That’s you. Daehyun, you’re the reason my heart beats, so never doubt your worth to me. Because without Jung Daehyun... There wouldn’t even be a Moon Jongup.” Watching Daehyun for a moment longer, he finally chuckled and his thumb to start scrubbing at Daehyun’s upper lip. “Your mustache looks like it’s melting.”

 

“Ew~ Jongup!” Letting out a weak laugh, Daehyun pushed at his shoulder. “You’re getting your spit on me~”

 

“M-hm. I am.” Grinning, he leaned closer to his boyfriend’s cheek, laughing loudly as the surprised shriek that came along with the action.

 

“That’s so dirty~” Daehyun made a move to escape his saliva and Jongup’s attempt to keep him held hostage at tongue point ended with the duo tumbling to the floor in a heap of giggles.

 

“It doesn’t seem so dirty when we’re kissing, Jung Daehyun.” Smirking, he leaned down to kiss his boyfriend again.

 

“Oh no. It’s still dirty.” Grinning, Daehyun caught his tongue between his fingertips before Jongup could launch another attack. “The only difference is that I like it.”

 

“I do too...” His laughter dying off as he looked deep onto Daehyun’s eyes, Jongup felt his heart stop for a moment at how close they were, how compromising their position. “Damn, I love you.” And he did. For all that he was, he loved Jung Daehyun.