Heartbeat

Snowfall

Letting out a soft, happy noise, Daehyun stretched, eyes still closed and mostly asleep. Hand colliding with something squishy and warm, he woke completely, ready to tell Youngjae to go himself. Eyes falling on Jongup, his own hand against the other man’s cheek, a gentle smile spread across his lips. This wasn’t his apartment and Jongup was certainly not Youngjae. Glancing around, he realized he was no longer on the couch but resting comfortably on Jongup’s chest in the floor, the thin blanket draped over them.

 

Blushing, he placed his head back on the other man’s shoulder and closed his eyes again, feeling reluctant to leave the protective embrace of Jongup. How had he gotten down there with him? The memory of feeling cold returned to him, the thin blanket and apartment heater not doing enough to fully stave off the chill of the winter storm the night before.

 

Whining quietly, Daehyun had curled up in a small ball, shivering under the blanket, his hand gripping Jongup’s. Sure he’d be warmer if he let go of the other man and pulled his arm into the blanket so he stopped letting out his own body heat, but that seemed like more of a loss than being cold did.

 

“Hey.” Jongup had woken up, rubbing the back of Daehyun’s hand with his thumb. “Come here...” Sleepily, he had held out his arms and Daehyun hadn’t needed any more coaxing than that to join him in the floor. Once those strong arms wrapped around him, Daehyun no longer felt cold and the two men had fallen asleep again quickly.

 

“Good morning, you.” Jongup’s tired voice made him open his eyes again, meeting the grinning face next to his with a smile of his own. “How did you you sleep?”

 

“Morning, Jongup.” Moving onto his side in Jongup’s arms, he placed his hand on the other man’s chest and stifled a yawn against his shoulder. “Actually... I slept so well. It feels like forever since I’ve been this rested. Thank you.”

 

“Heeeey. What have I said about thanking me?” Jongup chuckled and Daehyun felt his fingers running through his hair, only making him more reluctant to move than he already had been.

 

“Well, did you at least sleep well too?” Cuddling against the other man’s side, Daehyun blushed when Jongup took his hand in his own, bringing it up to press a kiss on his palm.

 

“I did.” The gentle way he handled Daehyun made his heart race and Daehyun just wasn’t sure why someone would be this nice to him, especially someone as kind and amazing as Jongup was.

 

“You’re okay with me using you like a pillow last night?” Biting his lip, Daehyun sat up slightly, wondering if he should give Jongup some space and not overstay his welcome. His insecurities were put to rest when the other man pulled him back down against his chest.

 

“Just stay down here with me for a few minutes longer and I’ll get up and make you breakfast, okay?” Holding Daehyun’s hand, Jongup’s free hand rubbed his back and head as though he could tell Daehyun had been nervous. “You can use me like a pillow any time you want, okay?”

 

“You’re too nice to me, Moon Jongup.” Sighing, Daehyun unlaced his fingers from Jongup’s, running the tips along his palm before the man held his hand again.

 

“Am I? Because I think Jung Daehyun deserves a lot more from the world than what I can give him.” Jongup placed a kiss on Daehyun’s forehead before he released him. “Don’t sell yourself short.” Daehyun sat up, confused on why he was suddenly being let go as Jongup got up.

 

“I... I’m sorry...” Sighing, Daehyun leaned against the couch, bringing his knees to his chest.

“What? Why?” Jongup sounded as confused as he felt. “Wait. Wait no. Dae, I’m only getting up because I have to pee incredibly bad and I really, really don’t wish to do that on you. I should have said so. I’m the one who’s sorry.”

 

“Go pee.” The smile brought back to his lips by Jongup’s words, Daehyun waved him away. “I offered to help clean your apartment but I revoke that offer if it involves you deliberately peeing on the floor.”

 

“Oh come on, Daehyun~” Laughing, Jongup shook his head as he retreated to the bathroom, leaving Daehyun alone with his thoughts.

 

Everything with Jongup was just so easy and it terrified him. Maybe... Maybe the only reason Jongup had even been kind to him in high school was because the two hadn’t spent enough time together for Jongup to get sick of him. What if... the longer he spent near the other man, the worse their falling out would be? It had been hard enough to lose Jongup in high school but to be allowed to get close to him just to have him walk away would probably hurt Daehyun a lot more than what Youngjae and Junhong had done to him.

 

“Lost in thought again?” Jongup had returned from the bathroom, crouching down beside him. A hand ran through his hair and lips brushed against his forehead, calming him again.

 

“Please tell me that your hand is wet because you washed it.” Daehyun looked up at him, raising an eyebrow as a drip landed on his cheek.

 

“Nope.” Looking dramatically at his hand, Jongup gave an exaggerated sigh. “I just... I missed...” There was a moment of silence before the other man burst into laughter and wiped the water droplet off Daehyun’s cheek. “Yes, I washed my hands.”

 

“Good. You better not come at me with your pee hands.” Laughing, he allowed Jongup to help him to his feet and squished the other man’s cheeks between his palms. “So gross~”

 

“You’re gross.” Smiling, Jongup wrapped an arm around Daehyun’s waist and kissed his cheek. “But I like it. I got out a change of clothes for you so you don’t ruin yours cleaning or with pizza sauce. I also got you a clean towel in case you want a shower.”

 

“A shower where Youngjae isn’t trying to shout apologies through the door?” Daehyun leaned against him, sighing happily. “You’re not even human, are you? You’re a god.”

 

“A god with pee hands.” Snickering, Jongup rubbed his hands on his pants to dry them.

 

“You said it wasn’t pee!” Slapping at his shoulder gently, Daehyun pouted at him. “Why are you like this?”

 

“I’m joking.” Kissing Daehyun’s cheek again, Jongup let him go and nodded toward the bathroom. “I promise to have breakfast done by the time you’re out of the shower.”

 

“Alright, alright~” Daehyun gave him a long, appreciative glance before he retreated to the bathroom. He couldn’t put into words just how amazing being near Jongup felt. It was easy to forget the world around the other man, to even forget that the two weren’t even technically friends, because every interaction was as though it was second nature to him. Not once had he truly second guessed an action around Jongup, only his worthiness to preform it afterwards. Was this what love was actually supposed to be?

 

 

As he prepared breakfast, Jongup hummed to himself, trying to keep his mind off of whatever Daehyun was up to. The last thing he needed was to start thinking about the man in his shower while working with hot surfaces. He was sure Daehyun was just as beautiful with his clothes off as he was with them on.

 

Shaking his head, he mentally cursed himself and continued cooking. Mind wandering to more serious matters, he wondered if Daehyun thought he was being too affectionate, if he was maybe crossing some lines he shouldn’t. But even with that thought, he wasn’t sure he was crossing any lines. He and Daehyun reacted to each other like it was the most natural thing in the world.

 

“It smells delicious.” Daehyun’s voice startled him and he turned to give him a smile, holding out a strip of bacon. His companion’s hair was damp and messy, Jongup’s clothes just a little big on him. Honestly, it was the cutest thing Jongup had ever witnessed.

 

“Have a nice shower?” Continuing to cook, he glanced shyly at Daehyun as the man munched the crispy strip of meat.

 

“It was amazing. Thank you. Oh my god.” A sound similar to a moan escaped from Daehyun’s lips, bringing a blush to Jongup’s cheeks. “This tastes like heaven. What are you making?” Busying himself the task at hand, he tried to ease his heart pounding in his chest.

 

“Bacon fried rice. I hope you don’t mind.” Stirring with one hand, he reached out with the other to wipe a crumb of bacon off of Daehyun’s plush lips.

 

“Are you even real, Moon Jongup?” Looking at the pan in wonder, Daehyun wrapped his arms around Jongup’s abdomen, allowing Jongup to easily drape his own arm around the other man.

 

“Last I checked.” Grinning, he finished preparing their meal and pulled a chair out for Daehyun at the dining table. “Sit~ I’ll get your food to you.” Kissing the top of Daehyun’s head, he moved to start putting the rice in bowls, pouring them both a mug of coffee.

 

“Do you need any help?” Daehyun seemed to squirm in his seat and Jongup knew it was weird for the other man to have someone taking care of him for a change. The thought that Daehyun’s past boyfriends had taken advantage of him so fully pissed him off and he was finding himself wishing he had punched Youngjae a little harder.

 

“No, no. Today I’m doing everything for you.” Sitting their meals on the table, Jongup sat beside Daehyun and smile. “Open wide.” Scooping the rice with a spoon, he held it to Daehyun’s lips. The other man ate it happily, showing obvious satisfaction at the taste.

 

“When did you become such a great cook?” Blushing, Daehyun fed Jongup as well. How was he going to explain that he took up cooking because Daehyun loved food? Wouldn’t that seem creepy?

 

“When I was in America.” Deciding to tell the when and leave out the why, Jongup reached out to play with Daehyun’s hair as he answered. “I didn’t really have much else to do when I had to make sure I was home to care for my mom.”

 

“Your mom?” Concern flooded Daehyun and Jongup blushed more when the other man reached out to hold his hand. “Is she... Is everything okay?”

 

“Yeah. She had cancer but luckily the treatments worked.” Giving him a reassuring smile, Jongup kissed the back of Daehyun’s hand. “She’s fine now. Thanks for worrying for her, though. It really does mean a lot.” Even Himchan, his best friend, had been more concerned with not having Jongup around to hang on than he had been with the actual reason Jongup had to leave.

 

“Oh good. I’m so relieved.” Leaning into him, Daehyun offer Jongup another spoonful of rice. “I’m sorry you all had to go through that, though. That sounds like it hurt a lot.”

“Hurt worse without you around. I worried about you a lot.” It hadn’t been a lie. Jongup had thought about Daehyun every day. Was he safe? How was he handling everything after Yongguk left him? Was he being treated well? It had ate at him and when he had returned, he had found out the other man was in, what he had assumed was, a happy relationship.

 

“And I was over here thinking you were dead like an idiot.” Sighing, Daehyun took a sip of his coffee, still clearly annoyed by the lie he had been fed. “Speaking of... Do I accurately remember that assbutt Himchan showing up last night? Is everything okay?”

 

“Yeah.” This time it was Jongup’s turn to be annoyed, reflecting on the attitude his friend had given him the night before. “He wanted to yell at me for punching Youngjae.”

 

“You didn’t even hit him hard.” Sticking his tongue out, Daehyun pouted at him. “I was going to do it myself if you hadn’t. I would love to see Himchan get in my face over it.”

 

“Trust me, he wont.” Turning slightly in his seat, Jongup looked into Daehyun’s eyes, cupping his cheek, rubbing it gently. “I wouldn’t let him.”

 

“Jongup...” A soft look crossed Daehyun’s face, his lips parting slightly as though he was going to speak but changed his mind on what to say before the words could come out. After a moment, he finally found his voice again, his hand resting on Jongup’s as he spoke. “Thank you...” Hesitating for only a second, Jongup stilled his nerves and made his move. When their lips met, it was soft, slow and gentle, but still, it made his heart skip a beat and robbed him of his ability to breath as his eyes fluttered shut. Daehyun’s arms slowly found their way around his neck and Jongup sighed when they finally parted ways.

 

“I’m sorry...” Unable to bring himself to look at Daehyun, he didn’t want to see the disappointment on the other man’s face.

 

“Moon Jongup...” Gentle hands held his cheeks, turning him to meet Daehyun’s gaze. “How dare you apologize to me for that.” Smiling, the other man pulled him into a shorter, more firm kiss before Daehyun let out a soft giggle. “Behave yourself or I’m going to starve to death. Jeeze.” Blushing, Jongup laughed sheepishly and pulled Daehyun closer.

 

“Right. Right. We better get you fed, then.” Feeding Daehyun another bite, Jongup’s heart pounded in his chest, still in disbelief in what he had done. He kissed Daehyun. Not just that, Daehyun had kissed him back. Though he was still unsure just how far Daehyun wanted this to go, he would be happy if even that exchange was the extent of their romance. He already had everything could want.