Diamond

Snowfall

Walking into the familiar apartment left Daehyun with a mixture of homesickness and self hatred that made his skin crawl. Despite the emotionally abusive relationship he had been victim too within these walls, Daehyun still had a small sense of longing for the bed he was used to, the scent of Youngjae that still clung to his skin, even the laughter the rarely shared. Feeling overwhelmed, he wasn’t sure he could go through with this, with packing his bags and leaving Youngjae for good. Knees weak from his overwhelming emotions, he took a step forward and stumbled, finding strong arms catching him, steadying him.

 

“Whoa there.” Jongup held onto him gently, lending him stability until he’d gathered himself enough to stand on his own again. “You okay?”

 

“Yeah.” Nodding slowly, Daehyun looked the other man over, easily finding the courage to leave the harsh world of Youngjae for the gentle, compassionate Jongup. “Just a little much, I guess. I’m okay now.” With a soft, loving kiss shared between the two men, they parted ways, Jongup to keep watch for Youngjae and Daehyun to pack his possessions.

 

Entering the bedroom, Daehyun’s stomach felt tight but he ignored his regret, knowing that any feelings he had for Youngjae at this rate were merely ingrained in his heart from time and not from any actual residual feelings. His short time with Jongup had been enough to prove to Daehyun that what he felt for Youngjae had only been a fraction of the full potential he had for loving a person. As he began to shove his clothes into a suitcase, something on the bed caught his eye. A letter, written out in Youngjae’s slopping script.

 

‘Dae, you know this is where you belong. You can’t fool yourself. You’re garbage and I’m the only person who will ever be able to stand you forever. I may be , but you deserve . So give up this charade and just stay with me. I wont promise to be better or to stop cheating, because it isn’t worth my time to lie anymore. Jongup may think you’re special now, but soon he’ll find out that you’re trash and he’ll leave. And by then maybe I’ll be bored with you too. Is that a chance you’re willing to take, Daehyun? If you’re not here when I get home, it’s done. You’re can rot in the gutter for all I care.’

 

Hands shaking, he crumpled the letter in his fist, feeling the sting of tears as they threatened to spill from his eyes. Slowly sinking to the bed, he dropped the paper and whimpered softly. Youngjae was right. How could he not be right? Daehyun was trash and Jongup was too good for him. If he continued on, if he moved in with Jongup, he’d just ruin Jongup’s life. How cruel, how selfish, would he have to be to do that?

 

“Dae?” Jongup was beside him, his whimper perhaps coming out louder than he had initially thought. A comforting hand reached for him but Daehyun batted it away, getting a look of confusion in return.

 

“Stop it, Jongup. You don’t want this…” Shaking his head, Daehyun looked away, trying desperately to halt his tears before he slipped into a full blown sob.

 

“What are you talking about, Daehyun?” Holding his shoulders gently, Jongup met his gaze, fear prominent in his eyes. “I want this. I want you. Daehyun… You’re better than what Youngjae does to you. You deserve better. If not with me, than with someone… But someone better.”

 

Maybe…” His breathing came quicker, threatening to send him into hyperventilation. Maybe things weren't perfect with Youngjae. Maybe I wasnt even happy... But maybe, Jongup... Maybe this is what I deserve. I'm not some flower that deserves to be water with your love and sheltered from bad weather. I'm a weed and I deserve to be treated like one. I think you were so blinded by your feelings for me for all this time that you just dont notice. You saw a yellow flower but I was only a dandelion.

 

I think you're the one who is blind, Daehyun…” Jongup caressed his cheek, sending a shiver through Daehyun as the other man rubbed the tears from his cheeks with his thumbs. “You might see a weed, a dandelion, but the thing about dandelions is... No matter how many times someone calls them a weed, they're still seen as something magical. Something you can make a wish on. You're not a weed, Daehyun. You're my magic…

 

Jongup…” Trying to argue, to stop Jongup before they both get in too deep, Daehyun tried to pull away slowly.

 

Daehyun, just listen to me. Please.” Pleading, Jongup let his hands fall to hold Daehyun’s, biting his lip as got on his knees in front of the other man. You might think you're coal, but you're a diamond.

 

I'm no diamond, Jongup.” Shaking his head, Daehyun looked down at him, lip quivering as he struggled to keep his breakdown at bay.

 

You've just forgotten how to shine…” Jongup leaned up and kissed Daehyun’s forehead, letting go of his hands to hug him to his chest. Yongguk, Youngjae... They threw you down and covered you in the filth from their own soul and now you can't remember the light you had before, but I can still see it.

 

Just stop…” Pulling away again, Daehyun could feel his body shake with the effort of keeping in his emotions. “Lets stop pretending, okay?

 

I'm not pretending, Daehyun. And I'm not asking you to love me.” Jongup’s voice remained loving but gained a sort of stern tone, commanding Daehyun’s attention. I'm just... Just let me prove you're still a diamond. Give me time. And then you can leave. You'll never have to talk to me again. But... But please just let me... I... I love you, Daehyun…

 

Are you… Oh Jongup… Please don't cry.” Daehyun gave in, throwing himself into Jongup’s arms, kissing him over and over again. “I'm sorry... I'm so sorry… I love you , Jongup. I just… Youngjae… A letter…” Sitting back, he motioned at the letter on the floor and watched, a feeling of shame settling over him, as Jongup read it.

 

“That son of a …” Jongup threw the paper with enough force to make Daehyun flinch before he gently rubbed Daehyun’s cheek. “Sorry if that scared you. I’m just so pissed. I can’t believe anyone could treat you that way. Know that nothing he said is right, Daehyun. Now you just rest. I’ll finish packing for you and you’ll never have to come back to this place again.” As Jongup busied himself with packing Daehyun’s thing, Daehyun watched him. He didn’t know if continuing on with Jongup was the right thing to do for the man that was his angel, but, for now, he couldn’t help but be selfish and stay by Jongup’s side.

 

 

Jongup finished loading the final box into his car, watching Daehyun as he gave the apartment complex a final goodbye. He could have killed Youngjae for the vile note he had left Daehyun and he was pissed at himself for not checking before hand to make sure the hadn’t pulled any tricks like that. Daehyun was precious and fragile and deserved better than that sort of treatment.

 

“Ready to go?” As he closed the trunk, he went forward to lean against the hood of the car beside Daehyun. “Or do you need another minute?”

 

“No. I’m done with this place.” Smiling slightly, Daehyun leaned against him for a moment before they separated and returned to the car.

 

“You hungry, beautiful?” Glancing over to make sure Daehyun was buckled in before he started the car, Jongup began to drive toward home. Youngjae’s car passed him by but he didn’t bother telling Daehyun, relieved his companion hadn’t noticed, knowing Daehyun’s stress levels were still too high.

 

“Not really.” Sighing, Daehyun leaned against the seat, closing his eyes. Lips forming a cute pout, Jongup had to fight his urge to kiss him so he could focus on the road.

 

“If I bought you a burger and fries would you eat them?” Raising an eyebrow, he began to drive toward his favorite burger restaurant without waiting for Daehyun’s confirmation. It was getting late and they both needed food.

 

“Can I have a milkshake too?” Perking up slightly, Daehyun’s fingertips tapped at the car door in a soft rhythm to the beat of the song playing softly from the radio.

 

“Who eats burgers and fries without a milkshake, Daehyun?”Chuckling, Jongup nodded, giving Daehyun a bright smile. “We’re not heathens. Of course I’ll get you a milkshake.”

 

“Then I’m starving.” Daehyun smiled back, his hand finding Jongup’s and Jongup gladly held on, rubbing the back of Daehyun’s hand with his thumb.

 

“You’re so cute, Daehyun.” At a stop sign, he leaned over, kissing Daehyun deeply.

 

“I am not. Don’t lie.” Batting at Jongup, Daehyun leaned into him and sighed. It warmed his heart to see the other man so at ease, even if he knew that the struggle to help Daehyun out of the dark pit his exes had thrown him into was far from over.

 

“I never lie. Which means you’re cute.” Laughing, Jongup kissed the back of Daehyun’s hand before he continued driving again.

 

“Fine. But you’re cute too.” Sticking his tongue out, Daehyun squeezed Jongup’s hand gently. A comfortable silence fell between the two as they continued their quest to get a meal and return home. Daehyun was going to live with him, Daehyun loved him. How had all of his dreams come true so quickly? He was going to make sure he did nothing to mess that up, or more so, nothing to hurt the already broken Daehyun.