Flower Road (5/?)

Waltz of the Moon and Sun

It's all started when school enters long holiday period. It's been 4 month since she and Minhyuk started to live alone, she never imagined this kind of situation. She thought everything was fine until Summer holiday came and the school, along with the daycare, announced they will be on break until the second week of august. She did know about the school on break but she didn't expect that the daycare will do the same. When Yongsun told her about the schedule, she tried to list all the solution she can think of. First of all, her parents is out of the list. They have been planning about their second honeymoon to Bali since last year and she don't want to be the one to ruin it, her parents deserved to enjoy their retired life.

Secondly, both of her sister are still student. The older one is in Japan, and the second one stayed in Seoul, so they're out of the option too. Hwasa and Wheein also out from the list because their is stuck with her in the police box, they have the same fate. It's holiday period which mean more tourist come and usually resulting with more crimes like pickpocket and robbery. Moonbyul sighed and was about to search for another available daycare available in Bucheon before she heard the person across her offered another option.

"I can take care of Minhyuk if you want."

They're sitting across each other inside a pretty crowded Gopchang restaurant, with Minhyuk eating his tuna kimbab happily beside her. Their friendly dinner has gone from once to a routine in a flash. Their first dinner gone very smoothly, they found a lot of things in common such as the same preferences in food, liking the same music or movie, even their taste of humor is matching each other. Had Moonbyul known this, she'll approach the teacher sooner. Their relationship has escalated quickly from teacher-parents to a close friend, not that she doesn't consider Yongsun as friend before, but there's this barrier of professionalism for both of them. Now they can call each other without title and just address it comfortably.

"It's your holiday too, unnie. You deserved some rest and i don't want ruin it for you."

Even though they're friend, Moonbyul still have some self conscience. She has been dependent on Yongsun too often. Nowadays she didn't even pick Minhyuk up in school because Yongsun told her just to fetch him in her house. Not that she overworked until late, but it saves time for both Yongsun and Moonbyul. The cop can only pick him up at five the earliest where as the last kid fetched by their parents at three. Yongsun then suggested Moonbyul to just pick Minhyuk in her house because it saves time for Yongsun to close the daycare. Both the teacher and Minhyuk can rest comfortably in her house and it saves time for Moonbyul because their house is not that far from Yongsun's.

"It's okay, i don't mind. I don't have any plan for holiday anyway." Yongsun shrugged.

"Won't you come home to Seoul? What about your parents?"

Yongsun shakes her head. "They will nags me about a lot of things and i'd rather spend my holiday without feeling cranky all day."

Moonbyul kept mum and finally sighs when she realized she didn't have any better option than depends on her friends. Again. "I'm so sorry to dropped this on you unnie, if there's anything i can to help..."

Yongsun dismissed her with a wave on hand and nonchalant expression. "Like i said before, i love spending time with Hyukkie." She smirked. "You just owe me a tteokbokki for life."

Moonbyul chuckled lightly. The teacher craving for tteokbokki is borderline obsession already. She realized this fact when she noticed Yongsun always ordered tteokbokki whenever it's available in korean restaurant they visited. The amount of love she had for the spicy rice cake is comparable with amount of her love with children.

"I guess i have to buy a tteokbokki store for you at this rate."

A fit of laughter can be heard as Yongsun put her hands over to prevent herself disturbing other people. "You made me sound as if i'd sell my soul for tteokbokki."

"Isn't that true, though?" Moonbyul grinned.

"Smartass. Maybe."

"But thank you, Unnie. For real. You've been so much help from the start." Moonbyul small a little albeit feeling guilty. She really felt sorry to depended on Solar this much.

Solar let out a heavy sigh, tired of repeating the same conversation with Moonbyul everytime she do a favor for her. May i remind you this has been going from the very first time they met. She'd hope Moonbyul dropped the guilty feeling and just accept it that Solar really enjoys spending her time with Minhyuk, she didn't like to left alone at home anyway. It got her thinking too much.

"One more sorry from you and i'll really make you pay for my tteokbokki for my entire life." She threatened.

"If i get to spend my entire life with you then i don't mind to pay for your tteokbokki, unnie." She ended the cheesy line with exaggerated winks.

Even when Yongsun know it was a joke, it didn't stop her face becoming red. She should be used to the greasy side of Moonbyul since the cop will said it every time she had the chance, but it still get her no matter how often she heard it. How can be a human this greasy?

"The pig belly i just ate didn't even felt that greasy compared to this."

Yongsun won't admit it but she secretly love it. She always tells Moonbyul to tone it down but it made her even more enthusiastic to tease Yongsun. At first she was flustered and didn't know what to reply with other than 'Yah!' Or 'Don't say weird things in front of Minhyuk.' But nowadays she's can keep her composure a bit and dismiss it or sometimes even retort back even if she's bad at it. Both chuckled a bit before continue their dinner with happy smile on their face.

"You're welcome, Byul-ah."


It was the fifth day since summer holiday starts when Minhyuk asked Yongsun to play outside with him. Being the five year old kid in growth surely made him feel restless to be cooped in apartment all day, even if his beloved teacher is there to accompany him. Even if he loves to read book and watch tv, he misses playing and doing activities outside. His feet itched to run or play little things like swing and see-saw.

"Let's play outside, ssaem~" He tugged at the apron Yongsun wearing while using a whiny voice at her teacher. He knows the pink haired teacher has a soft spot for him whenever he uses his aegyo.

Yongsun is in the middle of preparing their lunch before she stops and crouched down so she can be on the same eye-level with Minhyuk. "Okay, where do you want to go?"

"Uhmm... " Minhyuk thinks hard. Now that he get permission to play outside, he don't know where to go. There's a park near their house but it doesn't have a lot of plaything. Suddenly he remembered Aunt Wheein ever take him to the park near his mom's office, it's big and pretty.

"There is this park near mom's office... can we go there?"

He looked at her with his big and hopeful eyes, it doesn't take long for Yongsun to agree with him. Who can resist this adorable boy? Yongsun nods and patted his head. "Of course we can. We can pack our lunches and eat there too."

The boy seems really excited with the idea. Other than playing outside, he can enjoy the change of scenery when he eat too. Then an idea struck his head. "Can we have lunch with mom too?"

Yongsun is not sure whether Moonbyul is busy or not. Being the inspector, Yongsun know that the cop skipped her lunch sometimes because she simply didn't have time. But there's nothing wrong to try, it'll take her mind off the work if she had lunch with her son. Should she text her first?

"Maybe, i'll ask your mom first. Now go change your clothes, Hyukkie."

"Okay!"

The boy ran back to the bathroom, clearly excited about this outside activities. Yongsun took her phone and text Moonbyul, she tried to be subtle about the question. She wanted to give her the element of surprise after all.

"Hey tough cop, have you eaten your lunch?"

While she waited for the answer, she continued to prepare their lunch and reminded herself to pack an additional one for Moonbyul. Just in case if she's busy and hadn't eat her lunch, she will just drop it off at the police station. She felt her phone vibrate in her pocket.

"Not yet, maybe in another thirty minutes. Why?"

Yongsun smiled. She has the time to go there plus it seems that Moonbyul is not swamped with works. She snaps a photo of their lunchbox and sent it.

 "Nothing, just taking out Hyukkie to have lunch at the park."

Now that she has finished packing, it her turns to change clothes. She choose a simple white t-shirt with blue ripped jeans from her wardrobe. It's too hot for her but she has to mind the clothes she wear to police station. It's impossible to wear hot pants right? She checked her phone again only to receive so many crying stickers from Byul.

"Dang, that's looks good ㅠㅠ. I'm getting sick of chinese take outs..."

Yongsun grinned before closed the messaging app, the cop didn't know she'll get to eat what she want to eat in lunch today. Looks like she's not busy too, so there's a chance they can eat together at the park. She double checked all the necessities she has to bring before calling Minhyuk to go.

"Let's go surprise your mom."


Moonbyul checked her phone for the third time in the last twenty minutes. There's a read mark on the chat but Yongsun haven't replied to her. Normally she's not the type to be so clingy and checking her phone every minute when the teacher doesn't reply, but since she didn't have any work left except meeting after lunch, she feel bored. Are they already went to the park and have lunch? Solar's homemade bento looks so good that she didn't even have the appetite to touch her soon-to-be-here lunch. The whole station is getting sick of chinese takeouts everyday, but it's the best they can get around here. She sighed again before she heard commotion outside her office. She can heard the loud voice of Jeonju duo, Hwasa and Wheein. Did they made scene again? She looks at the clock and decided it's time for her lunch break, plus she's curious about what happened outside.

Well, she didn't expect this scene to happen. When she walks out from her office, she saw Wheein holding Minhyuk in her arms and surrounded by other officers who can be seen either pinched his cheeks, ruffles his hair, or baby talk at him. As if it doesn't get surprising enough, she saw a glimpse of pink hair which she assume as Yongsun talked with Hwasa and two other officers. They seemingly bombarded her with questions she can hear even from where she's standing.

"Yongsun-ssi, are you here to drop Minhyuk off?" She heard Hwasa asked Yongsun.

"Not really-"

"Having lunch with Inspector Moon?"

"Yes-"

"Are you Inspector Moon's girlfriend?"

"Umm.."

Okay that's it. These officers of hers really love to search for a new source of gossip and the fact that it includes her personal life need to put at stop. And poor Yongsun does look uncomfortable with all the personal question. Moonbyul coughed loudly, making her invincible presence before known to the people in this room.

"Get your asses back to your desk or you can say goodbye to your lunchtime tomorrow."

In a flash the officers who surrounded Yongsun and Minhyuk before back to their own desk and pretend to do their task. Moonbyul knows better though, their eyes may be in front of computer but their ears is always ready. Well she can't blame them, it's been a slow day after all. She shifted her attention back to flustered Yongsun and Minhyuk who tugged at her pants.

"Hey baby, what are you doing here?" She pick him up and peck his cheek.

"Let's eat lunch together! Yongsun-ssaem made bento for us!"

Moonbyul raised her eyebrow. So that's why Yongsun asked today if she has eaten her lunch or not. She won't lie, this made her very happy. Not only she can avoid eating another chinese take outs, she can enjoy her lunchtime with her beloved son and her crush. Moonbyul can't hide her wide smile anymore and looked up to Yongsun.

"Hey, sorry for dropping by suddenly. Minhyuk wants to play in the park near here and i thought of inviting you to have lunch with us."

Yongsun whispered quietly, she didn't want to made these officers to assume her relationship with Moonbyul even further. She'd feel bad if those remarks made The inspector become uncomfortable and a new source of office's gossip.

"No, it's fine. I'm about to have lunch anyway."

"Let's go, mom! I'm hungry." Minhyuk whines and pouting cutely. He wants to have his lunch quickly and play together with her later.

"Okay, okay big boy. Mom's starving too."

Yongsun bows her goodbye to the officers there and proceed to heading out with Moonbyul and Minhyuk before a pair of voice stops them.

"Wait, unnie! We're coming too!"

"You're not gonna ditch us, right?"

Both voice talked in the same time. The owner of the voices of course the duo from Jeonju, Hwasa and Wheein. They took out the familiar chinese takeouts bags they ordered before, wiggles it in the air as if taunting Moonbyul not to forget about her order. She groaned. Moonbyul did forgot about her partners for lunch, and she promised to share food with them so she can't ditch the duo.

"You guys alright with eating at the park?"

"Sure thing, unnie."

Both of the senior police officer nodded and they walked to the nearest park from the police station. It only took them three minutes to reach their destination and after searching for a nice spot to eat they decided to settle down below a lush tree that looks like it have the same age as Yongsun's grandma. Gush of wind and cool shade from the tree made them forget the heat of summer for a while. Yongsun opened her packed lunch and instantly, savory aromas tickles their nose and empty stomach.

"Wow unnie, do you make this by yourself?"

The lunch box is packed by variety of foods, complete from appetizer to dessert. Yongsun made smoked salmon salad with tartar sauce, stir fried vegetables, sweet and spicy chicken, bulgogi and kimbab as the substitute for rice. She also didn't forget to pack some kimchi and pickled radish for the inspector, she knows how the latter love it. Minhyuk squeals at the sight, everything that Yongsun made became his favorite.

"Yeah, it's nothing much but feel free to dig in."

Hearing the approval from Yongsun, both of Jeonju duo pick up their chopstick eagerly to try some of the dishes. Wheein and Hwasa moaned at the savory taste, making Yongsun blushed with embarrassment. "This is really good, unnie."

"This tastes like the one you eat at restaurant! So good!" Hwasa picked some of the food again. Both munched happily before Moonbyul slapped their wandering hands lightly.

"Stick to your chinese takeouts, this is mine."

Hwasa and Wheein booed before opening their own food with a grumble. "Cheapskate."

"Yah, share your foods. We still have some later for dinner."

Moonbyul can't help but pout at being reprimanded by the the teacher, but nod her head nonetheless. Chatters and small talk about work or daily life accompanies their lunch, Yongsun have met Wheein and Hwasa a lot of times when picking up Minhyuk before but never had the time to chat like this. She found out the younger girls are so hilarious and loud, not to mention they keep teasing Moonbyul here and there. The inspector can be serious and charismatic when working but outside of work they always take turns to bullies her.

Solar and Moonbyul fussed over Minhyuk when the boy dropped some kimchi on his shirt and traces of sauce around his mouth can be seen. The teacher grabbed some wet tissues and giving it to Moonbyul before she took some to wipes it around Minhyuk's mouth. Both of senior police officer observes the sight before them quietly while eating.

"You guys looked like a happy family on picnic." Hwasa said nonchalantly.

Moonbyul almost spit the kimbab she just put in a few second ago. Or at least the rice goes on wrong pipe because she coughed so hard right now. Yongsun feels her face redden because she can feel the heat in her cheeks. The teacher avoiding eye contact with Moonbyul but still gives her the water bottle and patting her back gently.

"What the hell are you talking about?!" Moonbyul croaked with a little cough, she can still feel a bit of rice in different pipe but at least the water helps a lot.

"Language, Ms. Moon." Yongsun pinched her sides lightly, gently reprimanding her that Minhyuk can heard and learn the words. Moonbyul muttered a quiet apology but still glared at the two snickering cops across them.

"I mean, won't you like Yongsun as your mom too, Hyuk-ah?"

Chesire like smile etched in Wheein's face and Hwasa tried to hold her laughter when she sees the look of horror in Moonbyul's face. The inspector can feel color drained from her face as she panicked inside. She can't comprehend the question Wheein asked to Minhyuk. How can she face Yongsun after this? Minhyuk who has no idea what his mother's internal dilemma looks up at Wheein at first and grinned widely at Yongsun.

"As long as Yong-ssaem keep making me delicious lunch i won't mind at all!"

Yongsun who silently anticipating the answer blushed so hard, she can almost feel steam emitted from her head. The duo laughed at the awkward expression the cop's and teacher's have until their stomach hurt and tears rolled from their eye. Minhyuk who oblivious on why his favorite aunties laughs continues eating peacefully.

"You little punks!" Moonbyul lunged at them both and wrestle on the ground, it's a good thing Yongsun brought a wide picnic mat so their clothes won't be dirty. Wheein and Hwasa keep laughing their off and as if it isn't enough Wheein shoots her another personal question to tease the teacher.

"But for real unnie, you looks like an ideal mom or, a lot of men must have pursued you before. Do you have a boyfriend now?" Wheein wipes her tears while shoving off the other cops off her.

Everybody minus Minhyuk directed their eyes on Yongsun now, waiting for the teacher to answer. Moonbyul doesn't know what to feel about this, what she should feel. On one side, she's really curious about the teacher's relationship status, she remembered the photo of Yongsun and a man framed beside living room's table. Though, Yongsun never mentioned about him once nor she asked her about that. On the other side, she dreaded the answer, will it crush her heart? What if she really did have a boyfriend?

Yongsun tried avoiding eye contacts, but it seems she can't escape her fate. Her eyes accidentally met Moonbyul's and she can't read what the other person are thinking right now, did she curious about the answer as well?

"I-... " Yongsun saw how everyone, especially Moonbyul hold their breath, anticipating the answer. "I don't have one, but thank you for the compliment."

Moonbyul let out a relieved breath. She won't lie, the answer made her mood brighter. She is aware of her attraction towards the pink haired teacher, who can blame her? The teacher is really beautiful, cute, goofy, and the most important is, she really care towards Minhyuk sincerely, and maybe her a little bit if she stretched it. The new information made her more confidence in pursuing Yongsun. Call her delusional but those subtle touches and flirty bantering must meant something, well, at least for her. She want to hope that the feeling is mutual.

"I'll go wash my hands first."

Yongsun got up and excused herself before the Jeonju duo can ask another question, she's need sometime to calm herself down. The rest of the crew watching her silently until she got out of their sight. Wheein and Hwasa both cowered when the inspector glared at them.

"You guys are so unbelievable..."

Moonbyul facepalmed and groaned at the thought of facing the teacher later. What should she do with this awkward situation?


 

Yongsun wandering around for a while until she found a faucet in the corner of the park. She can't help but escape from the scene, the questions and teasing made her flustered but that's not what made her want to flee.

It was Moonbyul's relieved look when she said she doesn't have a boyfriend.

Yongsun don't want to delude herself by thinking the inspector actually care about her relationship status. She need time to control her emotion and wait for her face color back to normal. She was deeply lost in her thought until she heard the faucet beside her . Her eyes glanced at the person beside her and Yongsun startled when she realized it's the person she has been thinking for the last ten minutes. They stood beside each other, washing the non-existent dirt in their hands.

"Hey...uhh.."

Moonbyul tried to break the awkward silence around them but it makes her nervous even more. She didn't know what to say or do in this kind of situation. She can pretend that was never happened but her heart told her to not let this chance goes to waste.

"I'm sorry if those kids made you uncomfortable, i swear they're just joking."

Yongsun can only nod and avoiding eye contact with Moonbyul. She still doesn't trust her heart to not burst when she sees those beautiful blue orbs looking at her. Despite on what she said, Moonbyul sensed that Yongsun still feel uncomfortable to go back in their picnic spot so she grabbed the teacher's hand and walks towards the nearest bench.

"We can relax here, let those kid handles the packing and accompanying Minhyuk to play. It'll teach them a lesson."

A soft giggle escaped Yongsun's mouth while thinking how they must be complaining right now. Seeing the teacher relaxed a bit, she smiled quietly and enjoyed their comfortable silence.

"It's me who have to say sorry, my sudden visit has caused a misunderstanding and you to be teased by your colleagues." Yongsun remembered how the police officers flocked around her in station, asking about her relation with Moonbyul. Maybe the inspector didn't want her private life as a gossip material and her visit has ruined that. "I'm sorry, i won't do it again."

"No!" Moonbyul never objects something that fast in her life. Hearing Yongsun blamed herself for visiting her when in reality Moonbyul was elated in this turn of event in her boring day.

"I mean... i'm really happy that you brought me lunch and even spend it together." She looks directly at Yongsun's eyes. "And i don't mind being teased if it's with you."

Yongsun want to brush that statement off as usual greasy remarks but the stern gaze in Moonbyul's eyes made her froze in her spot. She can't find any trace of joke on them. Does this mean the inspector shared the same attraction like her? Is the feeling mutual? There's so much thing going on in her head that she almost didn't notice another hand gently grasping her own in the bench.

Moonbyul knows the teacher still trying to figure out what was just happened so she giving her some space to think. She don't want to rush anything in their precious relationship, she really valued Yongsun as her friend but she can't always stay in her comfort zone. She wants more. They stayed in silence until Wheein loud voice can be heard, asking them to comeback and prepare to go back to police station. Moonbyul met Solar's uncertain gaze, it seems the teacher are still doubting herself whether Moonbyul's serious with her statement before or not. She swears this woman is so dense. There's no coming back if she want to do this, but she steeled her mind and gathered her courage. It's time to step up the game.

Yongsun felt her heart jumped for the third time today when Moonbyul entertwined their hands together and tugged her to stand up. "Thank you for today, unnie. I'm really happy when you come to visit me today." As if it's doesn't made her heart beating loud enough, Moonbyul leaned to whisper softly in her ear.

 

 

"Just to make it clear, i do see you more than just a friend, Yongsun-ah."

 

 

 

Long time no see! :D I’m sorry for the late update, I was on my graduation week and I don’t have any energy to write :') . Anyhow, sorry for you guys who anticipated their first dinner, I skipped it lol, but rest assured I have another date scenario saved in mind. Hwasa and Wheein is such a tease by making those remarks on the lovebirds. Since it already happened, Moonbyul just went for it lol.

I’m gonna apologize in advance, since I’m already graduated from college now and have to search for job, I won’t have much time to write. Maybe next updates will be slower, but thank you for the support you guys have given to this story.

Subscribe, comments, and upvote are always appreciated! :D