Flower Road (3/?)

Waltz of the Moon and Sun

Minhyuk is adjusting well. In a few days after he enrolled to this school, Yongsun noticed how Minhyuk started to open up himself more. Before this, he wouldn't start the conversation first if he's not urged to, but nowadays he takes the initiative to talk first and the other children also response well. He also look fairly happy all the time, seeing his state right now made Yongsun worries gone. At first she's worried Minhyuk will have a hard time to open up because of his shyness, she's glad other teachers and kids made a lot of effort to befriend him. He'll play all day with his friend, be it physical activities like dodgeball or educational games until all his friend picked up by their parents. Minhyuk always stay in the daycare the last, and that's the time Yongsun would accompany him until Moonbyul or the cute dimpled girl, which Yongsun finally know her name as Wheein, pick him up. After chatting with Moonbyul a few times in the evening, she knows that the silver haired cop is the new Inspector at Bucheon police station. Beside the promotion and pay raise, her workload is also increased a lot so sometimes she works overtime until late. Her colleagues takes turn to pick up Minhyuk when Moonbyul swamped with work, Yongsun only ever saw two of them though, it's either Wheein or the fierce looking girl called Hwasa. Moonbyul usually called the school in advance to inform that she can't pick him by herself, but today is quite odd. It's almost six and there's no call or someone to bring the poor boy home.

"Hyuk-ah, did your mom told you she'll be late or aunt Wheein to pick you up?"

Minhyuk himself tried to remember if his mom told him something because he was so sleepy this morning. After some time he shake his head. "I don't think so, ssaem."

"Hmm... that's weird... she's not usually this late."

Yongsun didn't mind to wait until this late but she started to worry about Moonbyul's well being. Did anything happened at work? Is she okay? The school must have her contact number, should i call? But i don't want to sound impatient or nosy... Thousand of scenario pops in her head, not that she's a pessimistic person but all the thriller and crime drama on Netflix have that effect on her. She knew how dangerous a police's job is, they faced danger and possibilities of violence everyday. A loud sound from the phone interrupt her thoughts, she scrambled to her feet and walks to corner of the room where the device is.

"Hello, Wonmi-dong Kindergarten, Kim Yongsun speaking. May i help you?"

"Ah! Yongsun-ssi! This is Moonbyul."

Yongsun heard a lot of bustling noise in the background, so it's hard to hear what Moonbyul talking about. Fortunately the inspector speak louder this time.

"Yongsun-ssi, I'm really sorry i didn't call before to inform you about being late nor send someone to pick Minhyuk." A sound of regret can be heard from Moonbyul's tone, it seems like she's really busy that she did forget to call beforehand.

"It's no problem, Moonbyul-ssi. Will you pick Minhyuk up after this?"

 

"Actually i have a favour to ask you, would yo- sorry please wait for a while." Yongsun heard someone shouted 'Inspector' before the sound from other line was muffled a little bit, seems like it's very hectic there. After one minute or so she can heard Moonbyul's voice again. " -sorry for the interruption, ssaem. The police station is quite busy right now and i can't leave nor send someone there to pick him up. I'm really sorry to bother you, but can you take Minhyuk home with you? I'll pick him up as fast as i can."

Yongsun can hear the pleading and desperation in the cop's request and how can she reject that? She totally wouldn't mind to bring Minhyuk back in home with her, the kid is very obedient and spending her time with him won't hurt at all. "Of course, Moonbyul-ssi. You don't have to worry about that."

"Great! Thank you so much, i owe you a big time." She can imagine Moonbyul's relieved expression from the other side. "Can you give me your contact number? I'll text you later so you can send me the location."

Yongsun froze up. Is this finally happening? Will she finally have Moonbyul's phone number? She didn't waste any more time before spelling her number, she can have her delusion later. "Alright, thank you very much, Yongsun-ssi." Yongsun haven't had the chance to reply before the other line disconnected. Well, the police station does sound like it's in chaos. Yongsun approached the boy who's busy doing his spelling homework.

"Minhyuk-ah, your mom is still busy right now, do you want to play in ssaem's house?"

Minhyuk looked up from what he is doing and tilting his head a little with confused expression clearly displayed in his face, the sight melted Yongsun heart. "No auntie Wheein or Hyejin today?"

"Yes, it seems that they're still busy."

"Oh, okay then." The boy closed his homework book and start to collect his belonging before a growl sound made his cheeks tinted pink. Yongsun chuckled. This kid is too adorable. "I'm hungry, ssaem."

"Okay, we will grab a food on the way home. Is there anything you want to eat?"

"I want to eat what Yongsun-ssaem cook!" Minhyuk grinned toothily. She's quite surprised with sudden request. How can she deny that request? The boy literally stare at her with puppy eyes. What's with Moon's family and their adorable traits?

"Cooking can take some time, Hyuk-ah. Are you okay with that?"

Minhyuk nodded eagerly. "What do you want to eat the most?"

"Mac and Cheese!!" Okay, it's pretty easy.

"We have to buy the ingredients first, leggo!!"

Minhyuk jumping excitedly and helping Yongsun to collect her belonging before heading to Yongsun's car. This will be an entertaining day.


"Do you want bacon or beef to go with the mac and cheese, Hyuk-ah?"

Yongsun held the boy's left hand and the other is holding the shopping basket. Minhyuk's energy haven't depleted at all since they left school, does it have to do with all the sugars he consumed today? The five year old boy keep scanning his surrounding excitedly before answering her question. "Bacon!!"

"Okay, bacon it is." They start heading toward meat section before the boy pulling Yongsun to the snack aisle. He scanned from bottom to top and point a certain brand that's out of his reach.

"Ssaem, can i get that please?" Minhyuk looking at Yongsun with pleading and hopeful eyes. His puppy eyes is so powerful that Yongsun almost relented to agree with his request.

"Eating chocolates before dinner can ruin your appetite, Hyuk-ah." Minhyuk expression fell and Yongsun almost feel guilty for that, but rules is still rules. He pouted and tried once again, begging to get the chocolate bar. "Okay, we can get the chocolate.. buuuuuuutt with one rules. You can't eat the this today, instead i will give it to you as a dessert after lunch tomorrow. How's that sound?"

Minhyuk contemplate a little before nodding, he can compromise a little as long as he get to eat the chocolate. Yongsun ruffles his head before taking the chocolate bar into her shopping basket. "Let's go get the bacon!" After their little deal, Yongsun back in her track to buy some bacon and going to the poultry section for some fresh chicken's thigh. She's planning to make some carbonara for herself later.

"Do you have anything else you want to buy?" Minhyuk shakes his head. It's a cue to end their shopping trip and head to the cashier.

As soon as they opened the apartement door, a loud bark welcome them. A dog with greyish white and black streak fur wagging her tail to greet it's master, it was aware of the stranger and look at Yongsun with confused eyes. The loud bark surprised Minhyuk at first so he hid behind the teacher's legs. Yongsun cooed her dog to be quiet and pat its head gently. "Don't be too loud, Jjing. Be a good girl and go back to the living room." As if the dog perfectly understand what Yongsun said, it trotted back to the house.

"You can go watch television in the living room while i prepare the food, okay?"

He nodded cutely and going to sit on the couch, but apparently there's something that's already claim the spot. Jjing jjing looked at him with curious eyes and Minhyuk being the child he was, he reached out to pat its head before settled himself in the couch. Yongsun smiled at the sight before heading to the kitchen. From her experience, making mac and cheese should be fast and easy. Since she lived alone, it's cheaper to make her own food from fresh ingredients rather than buying from convenience store. She can store the leftover for her next meal and she loves cooking, so it's a win-win situation for her. True to her words, she finished the mac and cheese plus her carbonara spaghetti in no time.

"Minhyuk-ah, the food is ready!"

She can heard the excited stomp from the boy from living room, it seems he's really hungry. The boy sat on the dining table and start to gobble down his food. All the hard work pays off when she saw the happy smile of satisfaction in his face. "Slow down, Hyukkie. No one is going to steal your food." She wipes the remains of cheesy sauce on his mouth, Minhyuk looked up from his food and grinning widely.

"It's been a long time since i ate home cooked food! It's really good, ssaem!"

This piqued Yongsun interest. "Does your mom not cook often in home?"

"Mom can't cook, usually we have take outs for dinner." Yongsun don't know if she's surprised or not. On one side, she knows that the cop is a really busy person, so it's understandable if she didn't cook at home. What makes her pondering about this is does she not cook for her husband? Are both of them busy? Now that she think about the subject, she never saw or heard anything about Minhyuk's father. It's always Moonbyul who pick and drop Minhyuk to school everyday. Is she already divorced? This made Yongsun realized she knows nothing about the cop, even it's been one month after their first meeting. She only knew about the basic information but none of her private life, she didn't even know how old Moonbyul is. Yongsun didn't want to appears nosy about someone else's life, especially who's not close with her.

Minhyuk patted his full belly and yawned, today's activities start taking a toll on his body. Yongsun who saw this ushered Minhyuk to the bedroom and tucked the boy in. She promise will wake him up when his mother arrive and hummed a lullaby to help him sleep. In no time, the boy is already deep in slumber. Yongsun can heard her bone clacking when she stretched her body.

A hot water and a bath bomb sound perfect to reward herself for the hardwork today.


Yongsun was in the middle of reading the fifth chapter of Goblet of Fire when she heard the doorbell ringing. Her eyes wandering to the clock above her 22 inch television, it's already nine thirty. Without wasting another time she walks to the front door and a disheveled looking Moonbyul greet her. Yongsun can see how tired the woman is, dark circle under her eyes prominent and her uniform is hanging loosely from her belt. She instantly feel bad for her, Yongsun has seen the woman as usual this morning at six, that means the cop already working more than 15 hours.

"Sorry to bother you at night, Yongsun-ssi." Moonbyul voice is hoarse, as if she had been shouting for a long time.

"It's okay, really. Please come in, Minhyuk is still sleeping."

Moonbyul took off her shoes and scanning her surrounding. Yongsun house was... simple but homey, or short to say. There's a shoe rack in the foyer with vase above them. A few of photos frame hanging in the hallway and she could see more adorned in the living room. Yongsun photos varied from her childhood, with her family, highschool friends, and lastly the photo in the corner captured her attention. It was a photo of Yongsun with a guy with cute eyesmile holding hands in front of Namsan Tower. So she's taken….that’s too bad

"Have you eat your dinner?"

Moonbyul snapped her head back to reality when she heard the soft voice beside her. Now that she's more relaxed she just noticed Yongsun's appearance. Her milky smooth legs barely covered with the short she's wearing and the loose t-shirt accentuating her jutting collarbone. She gulped down the lump in and averting her eyes back to Yongsun's. It's not the time to ogle your son's teacher, you ert!. Moonbyul scolding herself inside her mind.

"No... i rush back here from the station. It's okay though, i'm used to it."

Yongsun frowned at the dismissal, she's quite sure the inspector didn't have proper lunch either considering how hectic she sounded this afternoon. She wiggled her finger and throw disapproving look at the cop as if reprimanding a little child. "It's no good, Moonbyul-ssi. Go sit on the dinner table, i'll heat some food."

"No, no need to do that! I can't bother you more than this, Yongsun-ssi. I'll just make ramen later at home." Moonbyul frantically waving her hand. She'd feel bad if she had to bother her even more, she's already feel guilty asking the teacher to babysit her son after her working hour not to mention she's only able to pick him up this late. Yongsun didn't accept any rejection and grabbed Moonbyul's arm, she's literally dragging the cop to her dining table.

"First, you're not bothering me. Second, ramen is not good for your health. Third, just be quiet and wait here."

Moonbyul stunned with Yongsun sudden persistence, does her face look that tired or does her stomach accidentally growled and Yongsun heard that? Either way she can't reject the offer because all she want after a long hellish day is a warm dinner, especially if it's cooked by the pink haired woman. Yongsun put the leftover spaghetti carbonara in the pan and re-heated it for a few minutes. While waiting for the food to warm, Yongsun steal a glance at the woman on dining table who's busy texting on her phone. Did she text her husband?. Her eyes trailing down to the slender fingers and to her surprise, she didn't found any rings.

She looked up from her phone when she felt a pair of eyes gazing hard at her. Moonbyul did made an eye contacts with Yongsun but the latter seems to be deep in thoughts. She saw this as an opportunity to tease the teacher. Blame her and her mischievous side. "Do i have something on my face, Yongsun-ssi?"

Yongsun attention snapped back to reality as she realized her subtle glance has changed to blatant stare. If she could bury herself in the ground, she will. Her brain was racking for reason that doesn't sound ridiculous, no way in hell she would tell the cop that she had been observing her fingers for any sign of wedding ring. How creepy is that?

"Oh, i was just wondering how old are you, being the inspector and all. You looked really young."

Yongsun cheered herself for sounding so calm and it's like get two bird with one stone because finally she will learn something new from the cop. She moved the spaghetti from the pan and served it to Moonbyul before taking a seat herself in front of her.

"Hmm... i will turn 27 this year." She shrugged and start to gobbled down her food like her son earlier.

"Wait...what?? You're 27?!" Yongsun almost choked on her orange juice. Her eyes widen at the revelation. Moonbyul looked up from her spaghetti before throwing Yongsun a confused look. Does she looked that old? Even if Yongsun said she looks young...

"Yeah... is that weird?"

"No! Not at all! Actually you do looked like your age, it's just i didn't expect someone so young to hold such a high rank. I heard some inspector usually appeared to be in mid-thirties." Yongsun quickly giving her explanation, she didn't want the other woman to think that she's rude or assuming she looks old.

"I joined police force when i graduated from high school, so considering the time i have served, it's normal to reach this rank at my age." Solar felt that Moonbyul is trying not sound boastful but she knows even someone who had worked long in police wouldn't get the position without real hard work and achievement.

"Even so, i didn't expect you to be younger than me."

Now it's Moonbyul's turn to almost choke on her food. "Wait.. what?!"

"I'm 28 already. Maybe you should start calling me unnie." Yongsun smirked playfully. Since she's older she has the upper hand.

Moonbyul can't believe it at all, after all this time she thought the person in front of her is much younger than her. "For real?? I thought you're about 24 or 25 ish..."

Moonbyul shakes her head in disbelief. This made Yongsun happy, though. She had been concerned with her age lately, maybe because she's about to hit thirties. When she was young she never understand why woman fussing so much over their age, now that she experienced herself, she understand why. There's so much social pressure and expectation for woman on her age. She doesn't want dwell too much about it today, the important thing is Moonbyul said she looks young.

"Do i really look that young? Guess all those expensive skin care products worked the magic." She bluffing cutely with satisfied expression.

"Maybe those chubby cheeks affecting your youthful look too." Moonbyul didn't let this chance to tease Yongsun to pass. She grinned widely when she knew she hit the spot.

"Yah!! How dare you mentioning my cheeks." Yongsun frowned cutely and pinch the poor inspector's arms. She can't do nothing about her cheeks! Yongsun don't know why, even if she's considered slim, only her cheeks is so chubby. It's like all of the fat she gained goes straight to her cheeks! And s.

"Ow! Aw! Ow! I'm sorry!!" She tried to defend herself from barrage of pinching. The pink haired teacher sure knows how to pinch hard. The pain is sure worth it, though. Both of them can't hold their laughter, they keep bickering with each other.

"You dare to tease me again then don't expect to eat another spoon of that." Yongsung threatened the cop but it's hard to take her seriously when she's pouting cutely like that. Moonbyul chuckled lightly.

"Please don't, this is so good honestly. Can i have a second?" She didn't lie at all, Yongsun's really good at cooking. This was so much better than eating takeouts foods, and it's been a while since she eat a home made ones. She knows Yongsun didn't specially made it for her but it did warms her heart. She could get used to it. Warm food, playful banter, someone who welcome her home... 'No. She already have a boyfriend.' She shouldn't crossing her boundaries.

"Nope, i shall save that for myself so my cheeks can get more chubby."

Moonbyul can't hold her laughter this time, the teacher do have a compatible sense of humor with her. She's just so adorable and fun. "I don't know you're the type to hold a grudge, Yongsun-ssi."

Yongsun only smiled widely, she's enjoying her time with Moonbyul. Honestly the cop is so fun to hang with. ‘I can get used to this.’ She considered to ask Moonbyul about the lack of wedding ring, but she don't want to ruin this mood. She will save that question for another time. Yongsun just noticed the creamy sauce smudged in the corner of Moonbyul's lips. 'Like mother like son indeed'. Yongsun chuckled lightly.

"Hey inspector, you have sauce in here." Yongsun pointed her own mouth to mimics where the sauce is in Moonbyul's. The cop responded by moving her tongue, trying to reach the sauce.

'Aghasvsjsbsjsb-- why she flings her tongue like that' Yongsun want to shut down her erted brain for once, but at the same time she don't mind at all

"No, in the left side."

Moonbyul flings her tongue to another side of . "Here?"

"A bit further."

Moonbyul struggled to reach the sauce and almost use her backhand to just wipe it already but Yongsun stopped her. "You're going to get your hand dirty." She frowned.

"Aish, you're no different than your son." Solar pick a tissue from the holder and leaned her body from her chair to wipe the smudge from Moonbyul's face. She clearly did this without thinking much because now her attention focused on how plump those pink lips are, they're full and so look so inviting. She wonder how those lips taste and move with her own. She froze on the realization that she had been staring it for too long to be considered normal. She averts her eyes to meet Moonbyul's but that was another mistake on her part. Yongsun can feel those lustful gaze from Moonbyul directed to herself, she noticed how the latter gaze dropped from her own slowly toward her lips. Those little to wet her lips and slightly biting it doesn't help at all to recover Yongsun's sanity. Both of them held an intense gaze, none want to break it first. Or they just simply can't. Until an excited voice come from Yongsun's bedroom.

"Moooommm! You're here!!"

Both of them awake from the trance and snapped their head towards the oblivious child. Yongsun retracted her body to her original position with a red face. They almost get caught by Minhyuk... but for what? Technically they didn’t do anything. She wonder what would happened if Minhyuk didn't interrupt them. Imaginary steam can be seen from her head. Moonbyul coughs awkwardly and welcoming Minhyuk to her embrace.

"Hey big boy, had a nice nap?" She ruffles his hair adoringly, she felt more calm with Minhyuk in her arms. The boy nods but yawned loudly, it seems that he's still sleepy.

"Uhm. I want to continue sleep, mum." He whines cutely, making the adults chuckle. Moonbyul took this chance to escape from the embarrassing situation, she need time to process what had happened and being in one room with Yongsun didn't help her to think straight. Or gay.

"Alrighty then, say your goodbye and thanks to ssaem first." Moonbyul always reminded her child to expressing his respect and gratitude to others.

"Thank you for playing with me and for the food, ssaem! It's the best!!" Minhyuk grinned cutely and Solar responded with pinching his cheek.

"You're welcome, Hyuk-ah."

She averted her eyes to Moonbyul's. Both of them tried to maintain eye contact despite their embarrassment and awkward situation, but they realize avoiding it would made things more awkward. Moonbyul coughs a little to lighten the situation.

"I'm sorry to bother you a lot, especially today. Thank you for taking care of Minhyuk, and the food is really great." She smiled softly. "I'll return the favor someday."

Yongsun shakes her head in response. "It's no big deal, it was never a bother to spend more time with Minhyuk." The said boy is already back in slumber comfortably in his mother's arms.

"I guess i'll take my leave then. This boy has been gaining so much weight lately, my arms started to cramps." Moonbyul smiled and they started to walk back to the foyer. With last glance she said her last greeting before heading out to the lift, until Yongsun grabbed her jacket lightly.

"If you're busy like today, you can just contact me to take care of him. I don't mind at all."

Moonbyul can't turn away from the soft smile and warm gaze Yongsun had. She can feel her heart starts to beat faster. Small thanks and shy smile is all she can do now to show her gratitude toward Yongsun's kindness. After she saw Moonbyul's back disappeared inside the lift, Yongsun let out a breathe she had been holding from their last interaction.

 

What was just happened?


Hello! First of all, thank you very much for reading, subscribing and upvoting this story! It’s my first time to write in aff and I’m very thankful for the response. Your kind words always giving me encouragement to write :D .

Sorry if this chapter is too long, it’ll be weird to make it into two parts. Also it's time to estabilish Moonbyul and Yongsun relationship, it's boring to stay platonic all the time right? ;)  Many people said this story is so fluffy and cute, thank you very much ^^ Fun fact tho, I’m more familiar in angst genre actually. Should I add some spices here? >:D